Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: song "something" in aloha

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:19 pm

epf wrote:But 1973 was a VERY rough year for Elvis privately, already at this point in time.

1973 was only 2 weeks old when "Aloha" was taped. How rough could it have gotten in 14 days?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:05 pm

I believe Elvis was mentally "up" for this show and was looking forward to putting on a stellar performance... which in his mind, to those around him and to his fans worldwide he accomplished. By late 1972, the medication Elvis was taking was a part of his daily routine and I'm sure he didn't give it a second thought regardless of what he was doing... the fact that he was going on worldwide television did little to influence that (in my opinion).

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:28 pm

The Aloha-version of Something is just perfect. Wonderful performance by Elvis. Love it.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:15 pm

elvis is sweating so much in other songs ; the temperature was probably high (more than 25 deg cel) and i read somewhere that the weight of his jumpsuit was 30 kgs !!

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:28 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
epf wrote:But 1973 was a VERY rough year for Elvis privately, already at this point in time.

1973 was only 2 weeks old when "Aloha" was taped. How rough could it have gotten in 14 days?

Ah, something with a divorce i believe. But docs know best, right?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:38 pm

On the 8th(!!!) of January 1973 Elvis filed for divorce. A year can get rough pretty quick, doc. If you were real, you'd know.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:41 pm

tcb4 wrote:elvis is sweating so much in other songs ; the temperature was probably high (more than 25 deg cel) and i read somewhere that the weight of his jumpsuit was 30 kgs !!

I doubt that Elvis's jumpsuit weighed 5kg, let alone 30kg . . .

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:51 pm

A song sang by Elvis with no passion in Aloha. Why, oh, why he didn't perform It's Now or Never instead in this worldwide event??
And other hits from the 50.'s 60's and 70's (like Separate Ways, his last single on the market in January 1973) also from his own catalogue.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:59 pm

For the Aloha concert, Elvis performs a good version of "Something" and that's what it is.

The 1970 versions from August or even early 1971 were better for sure. And were also better vocally.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Billy Budd wrote:The Aloha-version of Something is just perfect. Wonderful performance by Elvis. Love it.

I agree...absolutely love it

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:03 pm

''Something '' -Aloha version from Jan.14th 73 is a good version -
Yes he did it many times at Vegas in '70-72 - Its a good version in my books with the aura of audience rapport etc - He seems to be relaxed during this song knowing full well of the global audience he was attract'n and his job during this show -
At this stage of his career he was a megastar who was achievn his goal by atracting newer audiences and fans worldwide
- Amen -I Love It -
::rocks
I Truly believe this folks /fans
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:07 pm

karlos wrote:''Something '' -Aloha version from Jan.14th 73 is a good version -
Yes he did it many times at Vegas in '70-72 - Its a good version in my books with the aura of audience rapport etc - He seems to be relaxed during this song knowing full well of the global audience he was attract'n and his job during this show -
At this stage of his career he was a megastar who was achievn his goal by atracting newer audiences and fans worldwide
- Amen -I Love It -

great post karlos ::rocks

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:10 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:
karlos wrote:''Something '' -Aloha version from Jan.14th 73 is a good version -
- Amen -I Love It -

great post karlos ::rocks

Ty elvis girl for comment - ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:16 pm

He did a pitiful job on that song. No effort. He needed to put everything into that hour and he didn't. Not the time to slack off. :roll:

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:26 pm

Someone revived this classic ... I see I missed a few posts.

epf wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Ah, something with a divorce i believe. But docs know best, right?

epf wrote:On the 8th(!!!) of January 1973 Elvis filed for divorce. A year can get rough pretty quick, doc. If you were real, you'd know.

Oh, I am real.

Priscilla moved out in December 1971. Elvis found steady girlfriend Linda Thompson in July 1972. He filed for divorce on August 18, 1972.

So, again, how and why would the first two weeks of January 1973 be VERY rough?

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:43 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:January 26th, 1971 version ain't that bad either.

phpBB [video]

That's a good one! Elvis comes in a little early a lot though.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:57 pm

In my opinion Elvis' version of this wasn't very exciting.
But James Brown also did a version of this in 1973, and that's the one I would recommend. Far superior to all versions I've heard by any artist, including the Beatles' original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u0OwmlNfF4

Best regards,
Tom from Norway

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:29 am

i've got to say that the performance was ok, i didnt like this song when i first heard it, i couldnt even stand listening to it while years went on it grew on me. I like all versions (1970,1971,1972,Ashville 1975) but the only one i usually skip is the one from aloha. heck in ashville 2 years later when it was a request. elvis putted more effort into the song then he did on aloha..

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:22 am

tcb4 wrote:hello

your thoughts on the song "something" in aloha ?

give an adjective for elvis' performance !

Unfortunate.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:57 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

It must have been a rough 14 days.