Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: tired of the tell all books

Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:23 am

lvs4evr wrote:I will definetly be burning this one ...

Do you make a habit of burning books by authors who you disagree with?

Some legendary world leaders did the same.

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Plus ,, would'nt it make more sense if Ivs4evr had the only copy?
Last edited by promiseland on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:34 am

lvs4evr wrote: there is so much good to write that hasn't bin written about him yet.

Seriously?

There's more than enough good things written about Elvis Presley. Where have you been?

Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:59 pm

lvs4evr wrote:
IMETJB wrote:
lvs4evr wrote: there is so much good to write that hasn't bin written about him yet.

Seriously?

There's more than enough good things written about Elvis Presley. Where have you been?

i find not as much as the bad , it seems to me there are more rags with dirt than truthful and enlightning stories of how great a person ELVIS PRESLEY was and what a great friend, humanatarian he was. I have some of the great reads about him, but most i have now are photo books , i refuse to read ELVIS and his friend books anymore because of the personal and bad things they say. For me there could never be enough good things said or written about ELVIS PRESLEY. :D

Why are you getting so upset about these books?

There is no need to spit your dummy out and throw you're Teddy in the corner.

You come across as someone who is getting stressed out with life and finding something to take your anger out on.

Take a holiday in the sun, i'm sure you will feel so much better.

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:26 pm

Bodie wrote:
lvs4evr wrote:
IMETJB wrote:

Seriously?

i find not as much as the bad , it seems to me there are more rags with dirt than truthful and enlightning stories of how great a person ELVIS PRESLEY was and what a great friend, humanatarian he was. I have some of the great reads about him, but most i have now are photo books , i refuse to read ELVIS and his friend books anymore because of the personal and bad things they say. For me there could never be enough good things said or written about ELVIS PRESLEY. :D

You come across as someone who is getting stressed out with life and finding something to take your anger out on.

Since this is an Elvis message board where people can say whatever they want to about Elvis and their views on topics revolving around Elvis, not everyone appreciates the negative vibe that the "tell all" books throw out at people. Obviously, lvs4evr is one of those people and felt that they could share their thoughts on the topic on a message board filled with Elvis fans. To make rude, judgmental comments towards lvs4evr about being a miserable person with a miserable life just for stating a personal opinion where thousands of opinions on any given topic revolving around the same man, Elvis are posted doesn't help your case. If there even is one.

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Elvisfan10 wrote:
Bodie wrote:
lvs4evr wrote:
IMETJB wrote:

Seriously?

Since this is an Elvis message board where people can say whatever they want to about Elvis and their views on topics revolving around Elvis, not everyone appreciates the negative vibe that the "tell all" books throw out at people. Obviously, lvs4evr is one of those people and felt that they could share their thoughts on the topic on a message board filled with Elvis fans. To make rude, judgmental comments towards lvs4evr about being a miserable person with a miserable life just for stating a personal opinion where thousands of opinions on any given topic revolving around the same man, Elvis are posted doesn't help your case. If there even is one.

So its ok to make rude, judgemental comments about one of Elvis' long-term friends who is regarded with respect with alot of members here and who is, recovering from a near-fatal fall recently?

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Who was making negative comments about him? I don't see any on this topic. Also, a personal review on the contents of a book that someone wrote in order to stir up thoughts from readers in the first place, which is what books like these are for is not rude or judgmental. The reader is expected to form their own opinions on the contents and possibly the author since the contents are the authors own words.

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:15 pm

Elvisfan10 wrote:Who was making negative comments about him? I don't see any on this topic. Also, a personal review on the contents of a book that someone wrote in order to stir up thoughts from readers in the first place, which is what books like these are for is not rude or judgmental. The reader is expected to form their own opinions on the contents and possibly the author since the contents are the authors own words.

I think if you re-read lvs4evr's comments about Sonny you would see that they are negative comments about him and accusing him of ripping off Elvis fans.

As for saying that 'this is an Elvis message board where people can say whatever they want to' then i think im entitled to express my views on what views lvs4evr has made about Sonny West.

Lastly, i never said that lvs4evr is a miserable person with a miserable life, i was just trying to point out that the contents of some books are not worth getting upset about.

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:16 pm

Is the overprotective/oversensitive type of fan..a generational thing?

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:51 pm

I never liked reading the tell-all books at all.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:42 am

lvs4evr wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

no but when i read trash like this it , to me deserves a good burning.

What is wrong with you?

Burning books is a sin. Adolf Hitler burned books that didn't fit his views. That's poor company to keep.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:56 am

I'm not at all upset. But your "rant" is an embarrassment to all decent, intelligent Elvis fans.

::rocks

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:39 am

Bodie wrote:
Elvisfan10 wrote:Who was making negative comments about him? I don't see any on this topic. Also, a personal review on the contents of a book that someone wrote in order to stir up thoughts from readers in the first place, which is what books like these are for is not rude or judgmental. The reader is expected to form their own opinions on the contents and possibly the author since the contents are the authors own words.

I think if you re-read lvs4evr's comments about Sonny you would see that they are negative comments about him and accusing him of ripping off Elvis fans.

As for saying that 'this is an Elvis message board where people can say whatever they want to' then i think im entitled to express my views on what views lvs4evr has made about Sonny West.

Lastly, i never said that lvs4evr is a miserable person with a miserable life, i was just trying to point out that the contents of some books are not worth getting upset about.
So it's ok to tear Elvis apart because it's the so-called "truth", but saying anything about the people close to him who are clearly very shady people is wrong? Sonny ending up in a hospital has absolutely nothing to do with him being an author, personal opinions on his character and the things he wrote are free game for personal opinions. Accusing him of ripping off fans isn't rude, maybe he has to certain people, but not others. Some people just come across in a negative way towards some people.

You're entitled to express your opinion about a topic, but not tear someone down personally just because they don't agree. There is a difference.

You might as well have told lvs4evr that they have a miserable life and that their miserable in general.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:36 am

You know a lot of what Elvis' friends write about him is in bad taste, but I'm past letting it bother me. I write about Elvis because I think he had an interesting career and life, but others aren't in it because they want to preserve history.

I knew that when Sonny didn't mention his cocaine bust that it would be a one sided account, and yes that's not right, but still he has a right to say whatever he wants. Some people are going to believe what they read uncritically, but these books tend to reflect more on the writers than Elvis. You can get some interesting things with these books, but I think most critical thinkers understand that Elvis isn't here to give his side so you can't take everything at face value.

Does that mean Elvis led a pure as snow life? No he didn't but nothing he did privately takes away from the fact that he did many good things with his life and talent.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
lvs4evr wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

What is wrong with you?

Burning books is a sin. Adolf Hitler burned books that didn't fit his views. That's poor company to keep.

So Priscilla led Elvis into sin when she made him burn his religious books in a bonfire? It is more complicated than that and you know it.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:21 pm

epf wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
lvs4evr wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

What is wrong with you?

So Priscilla led Elvis into sin when she made him burn his religious books in a bonfire? It is more complicated than that and you know it.

Wasn't it Parker who did that to all of the books Geller gave to Elvis?

Parker was getting worried on the influence Geller had over Elvis cause Parker wanted to control Elvis' life and didn't like anyone getting in his way.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:45 pm

lvs4evr wrote:over the years i have always collected the books on ELVIS , you know the ones that they call rags, tell alls written by his best friend etc... I have also collected with more intrest the great photo books , that have come out over the last 21 years or so. I swore after shillings book i would noy by anymore of these tell all's , but i was curious about sonny's book , i avoided buying it , but i fell victim last week as it was reduced to $5 , and may i say it was not worth even that reduced price. I can't believe the greed and demands this guy put on ELVIS through the years along with unnecesary info about E.P.'s sex habit/ways. It seems to me he learned nothing from his previous rag and many fans were right this guy had no love or respect for ELVIS PRESLEY at all . I will definetly be burning this one and throwing out all the others that are along the same lines - i'm litteraly tired of ELVIS being dumped on , there is so much good to write that hasn't bin written about him yet. I'm glad i can easily put sh..... like this down the chute where it belongs!

Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:05 pm

Could you just mail them to me so I can enjoy reading them.. then the problem is solved! :mrgreen:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:52 am

epf wrote:So Priscilla led Elvis into sin when she made him burn his religious books in a bonfire? It is more complicated than that and you know it.

No, it is quite simple: burning a book because the content bothers you is bullsh'it.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Like Goldman's both books. The first-when Lamar was a primary source and after that denied what Albert wrote-that proved Lamar changed his declarations like the wind, the second book was Stanley brothers fabrication. When you read this books based on so low intelect witnesses and believe all of the content of them you must be very naive.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:56 pm

FYI:
I did not create this topic.
But the member who did was banned, and his posts deleted.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:28 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:the second book was Stanley brothers fabrication.

Do you have some examples of fabrication here?

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:54 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
lvs4evr wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

What is wrong with you?

As LaVar Burton would say, "But you don't have to take my word on it."

:D

Daryl

Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:59 pm

Yes, the Stanley brothers in the second book of Albert Goldman (the last 24 Hours) were the primary source for the fabrication that "Elvis commited suicide"

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:44 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Yes, the Stanley brothers in the second book of Albert Goldman (the last 24 Hours) were the primary source for the fabrication that "Elvis commited suicide"

Now here's the thing.
Nobody knows if that's not true.
On the other hand, nobody knows if it is true either.
This sounds like, "it was Elvis, so it can't be suicide"

I also think it wasn't suicide as Lisa was around but if you add up his health problems, a tell all book on the shelves, severe drug addiction, a career in decline, financial pressure but most important: suffering depression..
A leathal mix which could lead to a planned overdose?
People hang themselves because of a telephone prank.. get the picture?

Take a look at all suicides from famous people and in most cases the reaction is, we never expected this.
Nobody knows what Elvis state of mind was during those final moments.