Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

rocknroller
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: New FTD on US tv

Post by rocknroller »

Awesome cheers for posting :smt023

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

thermoking wrote:Hello im new here, this my first post

I found this on us tv CBS6

http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-elvis-at-the-coliseum-live-in-concert-to-be-released-20110818,0,6145143.story

I can waith to hear this cd
Nicely-done effort, Troy and thanks for posting, Thermo ! It's saying something when SONY can't even fathom doing even minimal press / media publicity for their FTD line, despite making money hand-over-fist.

They know they have a good thing going but somehow want to "stay small" - read "not lift a finger." They get the die-hards to pay at a premium so why break a sweat?

Yes, the retail market is on its last legs but even the FTD line deserves some domestic publicity - a dedicated website, mini flyers in all regular RCA / Legacy / Sony titles, etc.

All the same, these local channels are looking to fill that half-hour and there's always fluff at the end of the evening news, part of the reason I try to avoid them, which are mostly about "if it bleeds, it leads." But the feature is a decent filler with a local angle.

You'll notice that Elvis to this day gets a fairly respective "native son" treatment in the U.S. south, whereas I think a similar report up north or elsewhere would have been heavier on the snark, adding weight and drug comments, which this report wisely did not.

They did manage to work in some rather lame "has left the building ("stadium") ; "Thank you, thank you very much" and Elvis sighting jokes. Such references are so tired but apparently all people know to say now.

Does anyone know if it was one movie ('80s ? '90's?) that really made modern audiences think saying "Thank you" was such a signature part of Elvis as well as the post-humous popularization of "ELvis has left the building" etc. ? That Cage impersonator / Vegas movie? Or that Will Smith vehicle I sat out? I think I know the ones but I forget and they were forgetable movies but still affect his memory in pop culture. It's so secondary to what he was about.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
fg76 wrote:Dr. John. I'm from Richmond, and I thought it was a worthwhile story. Until the record store they interviewed only sells vinyl only. They didn't even know what FTD was, and yet WTVR interviews them and calls it a "limited release." Sloppy.
It's a fine story, but not something a respectable news organization slots into the evening cast, before the weather and sports. It's an entertainment piece.
KiwiAlan wrote:So life would be better if Elvis was never mentioned on TV
Is this a question?

Elvis Australia wrote:Rubbish Doc. It is just not front "page" news today. Has to be added somewhere.
Rubbish? You don't know what you're talking about. I've worked for a very creditable TV news station, and such stories would never be placed in the middle of a 30-minute nightly newscast. It is an entertainment piece, to be used at the end of a broadcast as a "kicker," or not at all.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

JohnnyRebel42
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by JohnnyRebel42 »

Thank you for posting, a very nice little news clip and a joy for this Brit to watch. Well done to all involved.

"If you're lookin' for trouble ..............."

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

The media is starved for local content and something that continually somehow interests people.

Elvis, as long as there's an angle, is a natural.

As great as the FTD label has been, the way it's been treated as a low-key, no-publicity project still doesn't
make a lot of sense - unless the intent is to actually find that happy medium of moving units at a high cost with
minimal effort on marketing and P.R.

I wonder if any Boston outlets would have covered last year's FTD title: sure they would have!

Media strategy of FTD? Non-existent - and this with an army of knowledeable and faithful fans.

Surely Ernst and Roger could still recruit (however quietly) a small committee of well-liked
fan experts to help get the word out that Elvis Presley's recordings are still turning up and being
enjoyed by a new generation of fans ..and some older ones, too!
in such efforts.

A failure to allow FTD grow beyond the cardre of hard-core fans results in some of the cynicism
we hear about the otherwise laudable and much-loved catalog.