Mega rare elvis uk 78

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

The Pirate

Re: Mega rare elvis uk 78

Post by The Pirate »

Scam, how? It doesn't exist? Looks real enough to me.

Topic author
elvisonline
Registered for: 21 years

Post by elvisonline »

Photoshopped

elvisonline

'She asked me if I could be there by three. I was there by the time she hung up the phone'

TONY.
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by TONY. »

elvisonline wrote:Photoshopped

elvisonline

Any more news on this? Was it definitely photoshopped? And who found out?

svallen
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by svallen »

In south africa they made 78s by Jim Reeves into the 70s.Same record label as Elvis.
:smt006

Topic author
elvisonline

Post by elvisonline »

Everything points towards a scam. I know most of the big collectors who would have paid the big money for this. None of them know what happened either. Ending the auction early wasn't suspicious but ending the other items and closing the account altogether, very suspicious.

I guess it's a long shot that the guy took a large offer and wanted to avoid eBay fees etc.

I think until some real proof is presented to us in the form of a credible collector saying here it is, we should assume that RCA 1207 on 78rpm doesn't exist.

elvisonline

'She asked me if I could be there by three. I was there by the time she hung up the phone'

Topic author
elvisonline

Post by elvisonline »

svallen wrote:In south africa they made 78s by Jim Reeves into the 70s.Same record label as Elvis.
It is well known by collectors that other countries continued to press 78's well into the 1960's.

Not in the UK however where it's generally accepted they stopped at Mess Of Blues/GOMBF.

The big UK collectors would have paid over £5k for this. I myself was in the process of bidding on this item in a consortium with a couple of other collectors. It was up to £4.4k with 3 days to go and we were only willing to go to £5.5k so in all likelihood we would not have won this piece.

It was a romantic discovery while it lasted.

elvisonline

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Based on other genuine 78s, how do these labels compare? Are there any obvious clues to them being fake?

If it was a scam, wouldn't the buyer be covered anyway? Would the seller be able to get away with the money?

TONY.
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by TONY. »

elvisonline wrote:
svallen wrote:In south africa they made 78s by Jim Reeves into the 70s.Same record label as Elvis.
It is well known by collectors that other countries continued to press 78's well into the 1960's.

Not in the UK however where it's generally accepted they stopped at Mess Of Blues/GOMBF.

The big UK collectors would have paid over £5k for this. I myself was in the process of bidding on this item in a consortium with a couple of other collectors. It was up to £4.4k with 3 days to go and we were only willing to go to £5.5k so in all likelihood we would not have won this piece.

It was a romantic discovery while it lasted.

elvisonline
??? How would you and your 'consortium' friends have decided who owns what of this record and for how long? And what if one of the group dies? And what if one had wanted to sell it to pay for his son's university fees etc??

Padesu
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by Padesu »

elvisrecords.us wrote:OK. Lucky me. I still had a couple of windows open from earlier this morning. I had saved several screenshots of this auction and cleaned up the photos a little bit. At the time of the (Aug 22, 2011 12:49:46 PDT) there were 36 bids at GBP 2,550.00 ($4,198.32). The seller "twotenmedia" is no longer a registered user on eBay. I did email this seller asking why the auction had ended. Hopefully, I will get a response.

RCA-1707 It's Now or Never / Make Me Know It (78)(UK)
RCA-1207-78-side1.jpg
RCA-1207-78-side2.jpg
The original eBay description
Elvis: IT'S NOW OR NEVER / MAKE ME KNOW IT RCA 1207 Old 78rpm record. UK 78 in Capitol sleeve. Record is on the RCA label. I don't have a 78 player but it looks to be in pretty good condition - the record is still shiny and there are a few light marks but no scratches. I am sure it will play well. I also have listed a HMV "Hound Dog" 78. I understand how fragile 78's are, so this will be very well packaged. POSTAGE 4.00 UK / 6.00 elsewhere. PAYPAL preffered but will also accept UK Cheque. Any questions, please ask!!
Business Seller Information (also found in the auction)
Two Ten Media
Phil Glass
30 Baguley Cresent,
Heyood, Middleton
Greater Manchester
M24 6PD
United Kingdom

Phone: 07891377839
Email:enquiries@twotenmedia.co.uk
Hi everyone just joined so this is my first post.
Just have to ask about this record- was it ever determined if it was the real thing as nothing was posted after scam was written but the scans look pretty real to me.
I have just acquired a very nice copy of "stuck on you " on 78 it's my second one in eighteen years (last one was vg ,this is nearer ex+ ) also had "mess of blues " too back in the day but sold it for a lot of money :smt002

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

I seem to remember an article in Record Collector many moons ago about It's Now or Never being released on 78rpm in the UK.

There is no reason to suggest it is fake. Just look at the description of the item:
Elvis: IT'S NOW OR NEVER / MAKE ME KNOW IT RCA 1207 Old 78rpm record. UK 78 in Capitol sleeve. Record is on the RCA label. I don't have a 78 player but it looks to be in pretty good condition - the record is still shiny and there are a few light marks but no scratches. I am sure it will play well. I also have listed a HMV "Hound Dog" 78. I understand how fragile 78's are, so this will be very well packaged. POSTAGE 4.00 UK / 6.00 elsewhere. PAYPAL preffered but will also accept UK Cheque. Any questions, please ask!!
There is no use of "rare" or "scarce" or "hard to find." The buyer quite clearly didn't have a clue when he listed it that this was a rare item. He has just listed it as if it was another old record he had come across. which it probably was.

Bodie
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Bodie »

The seller was asking only £4.00 for P+P which tells you 2 things. Either they didn't know how rare it was or that they didn't want anyone coming in person to collect it.

I suspect that it was a scam.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Bodie wrote:The seller was asking only £4.00 for P+P which tells you 2 things. Either they didn't know how rare it was or that they didn't want anyone coming in person to collect it.

I suspect that it was a scam.
To be honest, if it was a scam, you would tout it to be something out of the ordinary - that isn't happening in that item description. It appears they didn't have a clue what they had. You don't have a scam, not bother to tout it as something special, and start it at 99p. £4 P&P would have been about right for a normal, every day record. There wasn't even an option for extra insurance IIRC - again suggesting they didn't think it was valuable.

In the following thread, another poster confirms my recollection of the Record Collector article that talks about the 78rpm issue.
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88664

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Sorry for the small size, this is from the Record Collector magazine:
record collector.JPG
The magazine also carried an "artist's mock up" of what the label of the disc might look like. It was NOT used to create the Ebay item (if it was indeed fake), as the labels are different. So that avenue is, at least, closed.

This website also lists the It's Now or Never 78rpm as one of the last in the UK
http://www.cool78s.com/faq.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.