Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Some Details 48 Hours To Memphis

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:28 pm

Found this (on EPG) with details 48 Hours To Memphis, hadn't seen the info here yet.

The last information is for the date august 16 after Ernst Jorgensen has made the announcement at the graceland plaza in Memphis:

Press release

FTD will release in September “48 hours to Memphis”. A Live Concert registration from March 18, 1974 in Richmond Virginia.

This recording was made 2 days before “Recorded live on stage in Memphis”. The song “How great thou art” from “Recorded live on stage in Memphis” won a Grammy Award for best gospel performances.

It’s an unbelievable discovery: The recording “48 hours to Memphis” came from a newly discovered, unmarked tape which later appeared to be a copy of the 16-track recording machine.

People who attended the concert from Richmond and heard “48 hours to Memphis” believe that this recording came closest to the actual experience of an Elvis Presley concert.

This CD will be presented as an 7” album with a 16-page booklet featuring never before seen photos of the actual concert.

Also Sprach Zarathustra (Richard Strauss) See See Rider (Trad. Arr. E. Presley) I Got A Woman - Amen (Ray Charles) (J. Hairston) Love Me (J. Leiber / M. Stoller) Trying To Get To You (Singleton / McCoy) All Shook Up (O. Blackwell / E. Presley) Steamroller Blues (James Taylor) Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel (K. Mann / B. Lowe) (O. Blackwell / E. Presley) Love Me Tender (V. Matson / E. Presley) Long Tall Sally / Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On / Your Mama Don't Dance / Flip Flop And Fly / Jailhouse Rock / Hound Dog (Johnson / Penniman / Blackwell) (Williams / David) (Loggins / Messina) (Big Joe Turner) (Leiber / Stoller) (Leiber / Stoller) Fever (Davenport / Cooley) Polk Salad Annie (T.J. White) Why Me Lord (Kris Kristofferson) Suspicious Minds (Mark James) Band Introductions I Can’t Stop Loving You (Don Gibson) Help Me (Larry Gatlin) American Trilogy (Mickey Newbury) Let Me Be There (with Reprise) (John Rostill) Funny How Time Slips Away (Willie Nelson) Can’t Help Falling In Love (Peretti / Creatore / Weiss) Closing Vamp Bonus songs Sweet Caroline (Neil Diamond) Johnny Be Goode (Chuck Berry) That’s Allright (Arthur Crudup).
Last edited by K.C. on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Some Details 48 Hours To Memphis

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:37 pm

A copy of the 16 track? What does this mean??? Professional? Better than DAE?

Re: Some Details 48 Hours To Memphis

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Looks like they tracked down the son of the original photographer (Wallace Clark of Richmond Times Dispatch) for the photos. As far as I know none of them published at the time...although some of them have spread widely since. Another Richmond news photographer on the scene was Carl Lynn...
koe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:11 pm

I doubt the FTD release can top the quality of the DAE release.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:16 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:I doubt the FTD release can top the quality of the DAE release.

If they will, they can!

Sincerely MB280E

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:18 pm

I think they can. They even came up with a preview ad/trailer for this release. Hopefully, the extra effort will be well worth it, which we are soon to find out.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Have they given any info regarding the bonus tracks and where they were recorded?

Sincerely MB280E

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:33 pm

hm80ep wrote:

I think they can. They even came up with a preview ad/trailer for this release. Hopefully, the extra effort will be well worth it, which we are soon to find out.

Can you post a link to the trailer?

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:17 pm

http://youtu.be/tjkXtcqx33o

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:32 pm

Could it be a multitrack tape? They thought it was a copy of the Memphis recording, but it turned out to be a multi of a different show?

Please?

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:50 pm

elvisjock wrote:Could it be a multitrack tape? They thought it was a copy of the Memphis recording, but it turned out to be a multi of a different show?

Please?

It IS a multitrack tape.

Watch the trailer -->

This is unbelievable news. I'm just floored . . .
Last edited by Rich_TCB on Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:55 pm

If it is from a multi-track then that trailer has it mixed in mono.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Sounds great, cant view the trailer though ............

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:49 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:If it is from a multi-track then that trailer has it mixed in mono.

The sound on the the clip does not represent the actual cd

From the text below the clip on Youtube...

I can't quite connect the trailer to FTD?

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Geoff

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:56 pm

I have a theory on that ... and I'm going to try to get it confirmed this afternoon. I'll update later this evening.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:01 pm

Perhaps, RCA tested out the 16-track machine in preparation for recording the March 20th show or recorded the show as backup in case something went wrong with the March 20th show. Recall, how they are made backups of the MSG afternoon show and the first Aloha show. How this was not catalouged or touched since his death is stunning?

The fact that is was recorded makes morse sense if by the March of 1974, the Colonel felt it would be easier to record Elvis live than get him back in a studio since good new material was becoming problematic to obtain. And record sales showed that his live LPs sold better than the studio efforts.
Last edited by Mike C on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:10 pm

Mike C wrote:Perhaps, RCA tested out the 16-track machine in preparation for recording the March 20th show or recorded the show as backup in case something went wrong with the March 20th show. Recall, how they are made backups of the MSG afternoon show and the first Aloha show. How this was not catalouged or touched since his death is stunning?

The fact that is was recorded makes morse sense if by the March of 1974, the Colonel felt it would be easier to record Elvis live than get him back in a studio since new material was become problematic. And record sales showed that his live LPs sold better than the studio efforts.

I'm thinking the same thing. that this was a test run for the Memphis recording, and then forgotten about. This is a great show. Steamroller is a killer.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:21 pm

L Ray wrote:
Mike C wrote:Perhaps, RCA tested out the 16-track machine in preparation for recording the March 20th show or recorded the show as backup in case something went wrong with the March 20th show. Recall, how they are made backups of the MSG afternoon show and the first Aloha show. How this was not catalouged or touched since his death is stunning?

The fact that is was recorded makes morse sense if by the March of 1974, the Colonel felt it would be easier to record Elvis live than get him back in a studio since new material was become problematic. And record sales showed that his live LPs sold better than the studio efforts.

I'm thinking the same thing. that this was a test run for the Memphis recording, and then forgotten about. This is a great show. Steamroller is a killer.

Yes, it is. I am surprised Ernst never found any paperwork relating to it.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:27 pm

Possible/ quite likely dates for the bonus material.

That’s Alright Mama – March 17, 1974/ Memphis
Sweet Caroline – March 2 or March 5, 1974/ Tulsa or Auburn

Wonder from what date "Johnny B Goode" is.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:32 pm

The fact that is was recorded makes morse sense if by the March of 1974, the Colonel felt it would be easier to record Elvis live than get him back in a studio since good new material was becoming problematic to obtain. And record sales showed that his live LPs sold better than the studio efforts.

Wouldn´t it have made more sense to test record one of the earlier shows in the Mid South Coliseum then? Instead of setting up the equipment at another venue?

Sincerely MB280E

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:39 pm

:o wow i wasn't at all interested in this FTD....now i am! + cool bonus tracks too love it i'm buying it soon!~ :lol:

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:48 pm

the trailer says "multi track"

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:52 pm

MB280E wrote:

Wouldn´t it have made more sense to test record one of the earlier shows in the Mid South Coliseum then? Instead of setting up the equipment at another venue?

Sincerely MB280E

You would think. But maybe RCA and the Colonel decided after the Memphis shows.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Mike C wrote:
MB280E wrote:

Sincerely MB280E

You would think. But maybe RCA and the Colonel decided after the Memphis shows.

Logical decisions weren't the rule, but the exception.

If it's a multi track, it shows there's always hope of finding new treasures in the Elvis world.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:09 am

btw, that's all right sounds amazing on the trailer.