Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Re: Jimi Hendrix sees Elvis in Seattle 9/1/57

Post by midnightx »

Elvis certainly inspired many of rock's greatest and most pioneering acts. Hendrix was no exception.

Hound Dog was a favorite and a track he visited often:

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

intheghetto wrote:No doubt this subject has been discussed here at some point, but it's worth looking at again.

Some great details here http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pictures/1957_september_1_sicks_stadium.html

In addition Charles R. Cross in his Hendrix biography "Roomful of Mirrors" writes that Jimi could not afford to pay the $1.50 ticket to see Elvis performing that night at Sick's Stadium but apparently had to watch from a nearby hill. After the show Hendrix stood by as the white limo with Elvis seated inside in his gold lame jacket passed by him.
Hendrix is probably one artist whos manager ripped him more than the Colonel did Elvis.,
Hendrix was poor when Elvis did that show and remained somewhat broke during his career

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

That site created their page from other internet sites, including this one. IIRC, Elvis did not arrive in a white limo. Here's some of what I've posted on FECC about this event:

This set list comes from a contemporaneous diary of someone who was there:

Elvis Presley
Sick's Stadium, Seattle, WA
Sunday, Seattle, September 1, 1957 ES

Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
I Got A Woman
That's When Your Heartaches Begin
I Was The One
Teddy Bear
Don't Be Cruel
Love Me
Fools Hall Of Fame
Blue Suede Shoes
Blueberry Hill
Mean Woman Blues
Hound Dog

Now, that's a set list!

The unrecorded "Fools Hall Of Fame" was only done a few times on this tour.

And 14 year-old James Marshall Hendrix was there. The show changed his life.

Inspired, the teen made a notebook drawing of Elvis. He placed down all the titles he saw after the September 1 show, and more ->

Looking closely, here's what Jimi jotted on the paper (clockwise, from top):

Honey Don't - actually Carl Perkins!
Hound Dog
I Need Your Lovin' Too Much (sic)
Love Me Tender
My Baby Left Me
Don't Be Cruel
Rip It Up
Pariliyzed (sic)
Heart Break (sic)
I Want Your Love
Love Me Tender
My Baby Left Me
Peace In The Vally (sic)
Don't Be Cruel
Blue Suede Shoes
Heart Break Hotel (sic)
Hound Dog
Too Much
Love Me Tender
Don't Be Cruel
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
Pariliyzed (sic)
Blue Suede Shoes
I'm Playing For Keeps (sic)

---

Indeed, Jimi LOVED Elvis Presley! And it appears he really liked "Don't Be Cruel" and "Love Me Tender," as each gets three entries!

Jimi would grow up to play a mean guitar and blow minds in about ten years time.

Read more here -->

Scotty Moore - Sick's Seattle Stadium 1957
http://www.scottymoore.net/seattle57.html

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

promiseland wrote:Hendrix is probably one artist whos manager ripped him more than the Colonel did Elvis.,
Hendrix was poor when Elvis did that show and remained somewhat broke during his career
Not true. Michael Jeffrey certainly was a shady character, but he never took a 50% commission. Hendrix was the highest paid contemporary rock star of his era. His cash-flow became tight when he pumped his fortune into the construction of Electric Lady Studios and had his royalties frozen from the PPX lawsuit.

Alexander
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Alexander »

drjohncarpenter wrote:That site created their page from other internet sites, including this one. IIRC, Elvis did not arrive in a white limo. Here's some of what I've posted on FECC about this event:

Elvis Presley

Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
I Got A Woman
I Was The One
Teddy Bear
Don't Be Cruel
Love Me
Fools Hall Of Fame
Blue Suede Shoes
Blueberry Hill
Mean Woman Blues
Hound Dog

Now, that's a set list!
Ernst, could we have this soundboard please :D

drjohncarpenter

intheghetto wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: IIRC, Elvis did not arrive in a white limo.
Cross says that he left in a white limo.

The Australian Elvis website says that Jimi was "in attendance" or at least implies that he was inside the stadium, while Cross writes that he couldn't afford the ticket and had to watch from a overlooking hill. The only one who knows for sure is Jimi Hendrix and from what I hear, he's no longer available for comment.
But we do know more. A lot more.

Alan Hanson's Elvis '57: The Final Fifties Tours offers incredible factual detail from a most unique time.

Elvis '57 - The Final Fifties Tours

Buy it here -->
http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-57-Final-Fifties-Tours/dp/0595431224

A few related topics -->

Elvis 57 - The Final Fifties Tours
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40695

Elvis '57 -> DJ Red Robinson Knows Handsome
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38698

Alan Hanson Elvis '57 book
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32571

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Z0S0
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by Z0S0 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis Presley

Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
I Got A Woman
I Was The One
Teddy Bear
Don't Be Cruel
Love Me
Fools Hall Of Fame
Blue Suede Shoes
Blueberry Hill
Mean Woman Blues
Hound Dog

Now, that's a set list!

Indeed, Jimi LOVED Elvis Presley! And it appears he really liked "Don't Be Cruel" and "Love Me Tender," as each gets three entries!

Jimi would grow up to play a mean guitar and blow minds in about ten years time.
i agree doc , that REALLY is 1 hell of a set-list !
THAT would be a stunning set in 70-72 but to witness THAT in all his untamed, yet focused 50's glory !
holy sh*t - no wonder hendrix picked up a guitar !!

great drawing of jimi's too , dont think ive seen that B4 !

its pleases me to know another of my heros & idols got to see the other 1 !!!
its a shame that hendrix the star didnt get to meet the comeback elvis !
i imagine they would have got along , i can see elvis taking to jimi, more so than Mr mojo Risin !

hendrix, like elvis really was 1 in a million and will stand the test of time & wont be displaced !
its a shame his studio albums, whilst have some amazing highpoints, never captured his true greatness -
jimi LIVE is where its at - especially in 1970 when he was branching out & exploring all kinds of avenue !!!

anyone whos doubts jimi's brilliance - (is their such people?)
i reccomend they seek out RED HOUSE from the New York Pop Festival, Randall's Island, July 17, 1970.
im on my 101st listen & it still blows me away & leaves me gob-smacked
(& i can actually play Red House - BUT not like THAT !!!!!! no one can !)

The cross book is an excellent read (as is his Cobain book) -
jimi certainly had his share of hardships and carear problems too and certainly was far from happy at the end ! another gone too soon ! maybe these superstars we're just too bright to burn for long ???

To save people the trouble - starts off like any other R/house - its at around 4:25 jimi literally takes off & does things that boggle the mind - THAT is not just B pentatonic scales

no wonder clapton watched him & said something to Townsend to the effect off "we're all finished"

Imagine a piece of that on Reconsider baby ?

" Never was so Influential a Man so poorly prepared for his fate - nor so ineptly schooled for its Consequences"

"There was a reason they nicknamed him the King of Rock + Roll, !!!
THIS is the way ELVIS should be remembered! This is true greatness in the churchillian sense:
swaggering, daring, Proud yet humble, beaten yet never truly down,
MAGNIFICENT when victorious and always unforgettable! "

( Q magazine review 'Artist Of The Century' Dec 1999 )

drjohncarpenter

intheghetto wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Elvis '57 - The Final Fifties Tours

Look at that. I thought I ran out of Elvis books to read, but that looks like a good one. Thanks for the tip!
Anytime!

It's ESSENTIAL Elvis reading.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

midnightx wrote:
promiseland wrote:Hendrix is probably one artist whos manager ripped him more than the Colonel did Elvis.,
Not true. Michael Jeffrey certainly was a shady character, but he never took a 50% commission. Hendrix was the highest paid contemporary rock star of his era. His cash-flow became tight when he pumped his fortune into the construction of Electric Lady Studios and had his royalties frozen from the PPX lawsuit.
Yes it is assumed to be true There are many accounts over the years by several biographers and is also talked about on the DVD 'The Last Days Of Hendrix" that Michael Jeffery was stealing and exporting most of Jimis funds to unknown accounts
Here is just one souce from wikipedia which talks about this and was even suspected by his original band members

When Chas Chandler decided to move into management himself and signed Jimi Hendrix, he needed financial support to launch The Experience and so went into partnership with his old manager, with very mixed feelings. Hence Jeffrey became co-manager of The Jimi Hendrix Experience, taking care of business while Chandler produced.[3]

Jeffery has received almost unanimous criticism from biographers of Hendrix. Several have alleged that Jeffery siphoned off much of Hendrix's income and channeled it into off-shore bank accounts, that Jeffery had dubious connections to US intelligence services (it has been reported[by whom?] that insiders often claimed that he worked for MI5, British Secret Intelligence and that he had connections to European organised crime). When Experience bassist Noel Redding inquired as to where Jeffery was going with briefcases of the band's money, he was asked to leave. Jeffery was played by actor Billy Zane in the movie Hendrix.

In October 2006 a $15 million auction took place of items of Michael Jeffery's estate including the rights to many of Jimi Hendrix's hits including "Purple Haze" and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)". Experience Hendrix, a company formed and owned by Hendrix's family, have said they will prove they own the titles to these songs and that they intend to sue.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jeffery_manager

Domino
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Domino »

drjohncarpenter wrote:That site created their page from other internet sites, including this one. IIRC, Elvis did not arrive in a white limo. Here's some of what I've posted on FECC about this event:

Elvis Presley

Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
I Got A Woman
I Was The One
Teddy Bear
Don't Be Cruel
Love Me
Fools Hall Of Fame
Blue Suede Shoes
Blueberry Hill
Mean Woman Blues
Hound Dog

Now, that's a set list!

Inspired, the teen made a notebook drawing of Elvis. He placed down all the titles he saw after the September 1 show, and more ->

Hound Dog
Love Me Tender
My Baby Left Me
Don't Be Cruel
Rip It Up
Pariliyzed (sic)
Heart Break (sic)
I Want Your Love
Love Me Tender
My Baby Left Me
Peace In The Vally (sic)
Don't Be Cruel
Blue Suede Shoes
Heart Break Hotel (sic)
Hound Dog
Too Much
Love Me Tender
Don't Be Cruel
Pariliyzed (sic)
Blue Suede Shoes

---

Read more here -->

Sure be great if a recording of Fools Hall of Fame turned up.Been a lot of years.Getting less likely now.

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

drjohncarpenter

Domino wrote:

Elvis Presley

Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
I Got A Woman
I Was The One
Teddy Bear
Don't Be Cruel
Love Me
Fools Hall Of Fame
Blue Suede Shoes
Blueberry Hill
Mean Woman Blues
Hound Dog

Now, that's a set list!

Hound Dog
Love Me Tender
My Baby Left Me
Don't Be Cruel
Rip It Up
Pariliyzed (sic)
Heart Break (sic)
I Want Your Love
Love Me Tender
My Baby Left Me
Peace In The Vally (sic)
Don't Be Cruel
Blue Suede Shoes
Heart Break Hotel (sic)
Hound Dog
Too Much
Love Me Tender
Don't Be Cruel
Pariliyzed (sic)
Blue Suede Shoes

---

Read more here -->

Sure be great if a recording of Fools Hall of Fame turned up.Been a lot of years.Getting less likely now.
It would be so neat to hear Elvis' version, too. Probably never taped.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

James27

Post by James27 »

My personal favorite version of "Red House" remains the perfect one from San Diego, 1969. But it's like comparing variations on a theme by legendary painters like Bosch, Da Vinci... It is ridiculous to compare in the case of The Great One, really. "The Super-One" was what James Brown once told on stage musicians amongst themselves called JH. When he paid tribute to the biggest that had passed away, in his 80s concerts, he made sure to also include Elvis and Hendrix which also showed Brown's own versatility and deep music knowledge. John Lee Hooker was another Giant who admired both Elvis and Jimi, and one of the relatively few of the "old" blues style (musically "born" in electric urban 40s and 50s USA) who dug the new sounds of the 60s, especially Jimi Hendrix, the best of the Classic Rock period, or of any period as far as I'm concerned.

The very few ones of R.H. where he was really out-of-it disgarded (like MSG late Januray 1970 or early September 1970 during one of his last shows 02/09---> next day 03/09 he was brilliant again for ex. Hey baby, All Along The Watchtower...) Jimi Always blew away one's mind with any version of any song he cared to play. The Winterland '68 versions, the Albert Hall '69 version, the L.A. Forum '69 version... Any of the shorter '66-early '68 versions. One of the few I like less has got to be the Berkeley one (first show, 30-05-70), he just isn't into this that night (in contrast to Hear My Train A Comin' from same show), while the Atlanta one is so-so, some brilliant moments but not among my favorites overall, a little too auto-pilot for Jimi (it would mean instant legendary status playing like that for any other player...).

Nice to see other Elvis fans appreciating Jimi's talents, because MANY people still find Jimi hard to take in, musically: too noisy, too much feedback, too over-the-top, too challenging. It's not music for the faint-of-heart and/or the musically conservative. :lol:

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

drjohncarpenter

James27 wrote:My personal favorite version of "Red House" remains the perfect one from San Diego, 1969. But it's like comparing variations on a theme by legendary painters like Bosch, Da Vinci... It is ridiculous to compare in the case of The Great One, really. "The Super-One" was what James Brown once told on stage musicians amongst themselves called JH. When he paid tribute to the biggest that had passed away, in his 80s concerts, he made sure to also include Elvis and Hendrix which also showed Brown's own versatility and deep music knowledge. John Lee Hooker was another Giant who admired both Elvis and Jimi, and one of the relatively few of the "old" blues style (musically "born" in electric urban 40s and 50s USA) who dug the new sounds of the 60s, especially Jimi Hendrix, the best of the Classic Rock period, or of any period as far as I'm concerned.

The very few ones of R.H. where he was really out-of-it disgarded (like MSG late Januray 1970 or early September 1970 during one of his last shows 02/09---> next day 03/09 he was brilliant again for ex. Hey baby, All Along The Watchtower...) Jimi Always blew away one's mind with any version of any song he cared to play. The Winterland '68 versions, the Albert Hall '69 version, the L.A. Forum '69 version... Any of the shorter '66-early '68 versions. One of the few I like less has got to be the Berkeley one (first show, 30-05-70), he just isn't into this that night (in contrast to Hear My Train A Comin' from same show), while the Atlanta one is so-so, some brilliant moments but not among my favorites overall, a little too auto-pilot for Jimi (it would mean instant legendary status playing like that for any other player...).

Nice to see other Elvis fans appreciating Jimi's talents, because MANY people still find Jimi hard to take in, musically: too noisy, too much feedback, too over-the-top, too challenging. It's not music for the faint-of-heart and/or the musically conservative. :lol:
His BBC Radio version of "Hound Dog" is terrific.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

James27

Post by James27 »

It is, as are most of these Hendrix BBC tracks (personal favorite being one of the versions of Drivin' South) although the barking dog sounds are overdoing a tad much... but it's all done in good fun, so I suppose it's ok. Nobody knew at the time, Jimi himself, of course, not in the least hyper-critical (of his own work to be released) that any of this stuff would find its way onto mainstream releases, of which the Douglas 1980s version still bears the best, most "punchy" sound (bootlegs in chronological recording or broadcast order notwithstanding). It's Hendrix at his most fun, cheerful and loose. Some GREAT blues tracks too like "Hoochie Koochie Man", or the early incarnation of "Hear My Train A Comin'", then still called by Jimi Getting My Heart (Back) Together Again".

Even at the end of his career, on stage, he repeatedly proclaimed he wasn't sure of the definitive title "it's nothing but a jam... again". It's a masterpiece, like "Red House" and "Machine Gun". I'm not sure that even Hendrix could have bettered his best LIVE versions of these classics, had he lived and released studio versions of them. None of the existing studio versions, ranging from so-so to great, of his blues classics/versions touch the "live" power: no studio Bleeding Heart, Red House, Hear My Train A Comin' better their best live version(s). For Bleeding Heart: Royal Albert Hall, London 24-02-69; for Hear My Train A Comin' Berkeley 1st show 30-05-70; for Red House: San Diego 24-05-69. And then we have the superior live versions of beautiful compositions like "Hey Baby" or "Villanova Junction".

As for Elvis, Jimi mentioned his name in the Paris '68 show, chatting towards a dude in the audience presumably looking like a pompadour rock 'n' roller, before launching into a short rock 'n' roll type rhythm, done tongue-in-cheek. I can only imagine Hendrix' reaction to seeing or reading about the 13 in a dozen Hollywood movies from his childhood musical hero. I wish he would have catched Elvis in his still prime before he died, let's say Vegas '69 or on any tour in 1970. At least Jim Morrison did catch a prime Elvis tour show in 1970, which must have been weird, the young lion (25-26) who had become a shadow of his former physical greatness through hard drinking, seeing the old seemingly healthy lion (35) jumping around, rocking and singing with so much supplesse, on stage. That must have been weird for Jim. Or perhaps Jim didn't think like that, perhaps he didn't have any by-thoughts with it. But he certainly noticed Jerry Scheff in Elvis band, their shared bass player.
Last edited by James27 on Tue May 31, 2016 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

drjohncarpenter

James27 wrote:It is, as are most of these Hendrix BBC tracks (personal favorite being one of the versions of Drivin' South) although the barking dog sounds are overdoing a tad much... but it's all done in good fun, so I suppose it's ok. Nobody knew at the time, of course, not in the least hyper-critical (of his own work to be released) that any of this stuff would find its way onto mainstream releases, of which the Douglas 1980s version still bears the best, most "punchy" sound (bootlegs in chronological recording or broadcast order notwithstanding). It's Hendrix at his most fun, cheerful and loose. Some GREAT blues tracks too like "Hoochie Koochie Man", or the early incarnation of "Hear My Train A Comin'", then still called by Jimi Getting My Heart (Back) Together Again".

Even at the end of his career, on stage, he repeatedly proclaimed he wasn't sure of the definitive title "it's nothing but a jam... again". It's a masterpiece, like "Red House" and "Machine Gun". I'm not sure that even Hendrix could have bettered his best LIVE versions of these classics, had he lived and released studio versions of them. None of the existing studio versions, ranging from so-so to great, of his blues classics/versions touch the "live" power: no studio Bleeding Heart, Red House, Hear My Train A Comin' better their best live version(s). For Bleeding Heart: Royal Albert Hall, London 24-02-69; for Hear My Train A Comin' Berkeley 1st show 30-05-70; for Red House: San Diego 24-05-69. And then we have the superior live versions of beautiful compositions like "Hey Baby" or "Villanova Junction".

As for Elvis, Jimi mentioned his name in the Paris '68 show, chatting towards a dude in the audience presumably looking like a pompadour rock 'n' roller, before launching into a short rock 'n' roll type rhythm, done tongue-in-cheek. I can only imagine Hendrix' reaction to seeing or reading about the 13 in a dozen Hollywood movies from his childhood musical hero. I wish he would have catched Elvis in his still prime before he died, let's say Vegas '69 or on any tour in 1970. At least Jim Morrison did catch a prime Elvis tour show in 1970, which must have been weird, the young lion (25-26) who had become a shadow of his former physical greatness through hard drinking, seeing the old seemingly healthy lion (35) jumping around, rocking and singing with so much supplesse, on stage. That must have been weird for Jim. Or perhaps Jim didn't think like that, perhaps he didn't have any by-thoughts with it. But he certainly noticed Jerry Scheff in Elvis band, their shared bass player.
Allegedly.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by DEH »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
James27 wrote:It is, as are most of these Hendrix BBC tracks (personal favorite being one of the versions of Drivin' South) although the barking dog sounds are overdoing a tad much... but it's all done in good fun, so I suppose it's ok. Nobody knew at the time, of course, not in the least hyper-critical (of his own work to be released) that any of this stuff would find its way onto mainstream releases, of which the Douglas 1980s version still bears the best, most "punchy" sound (bootlegs in chronological recording or broadcast order notwithstanding). It's Hendrix at his most fun, cheerful and loose. Some GREAT blues tracks too like "Hoochie Koochie Man", or the early incarnation of "Hear My Train A Comin'", then still called by Jimi Getting My Heart (Back) Together Again".

Allegedly.
Just like Led Zeppelin "Allegedly "saw Elvis in Vegas in 1969 and "allegedly" saw Elvis at MSG. Jim Morrison' buddy would have no reason to lie about Jim seeing Elvis perform in Miami in 1970. It does not benefit anyone or make anyone look better. its not as if he would go look at a website and notice that Elvis performed there in September 1970 and thought "hey lets make up a story that Jim went to see a Elvis show." Robert Plant came right out and said he saw Elvis at MSG and certain people don't believe it. :facep: :roll: even if Jim came out and said it would u believe it? :D

Z0S0
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by Z0S0 »

James27 wrote:

MANY people still find Jimi hard to take in, musically: too noisy, too much feedback, too over-the-top, too challenging. It's not music for the faint-of-heart and/or the musically conservative. :lol:
great post james, you certainly know youre hendrix ! :)

jimi is my ultimate no 1 guitar hero & he was none too shabby as a lyric writer either !
he had that same connection to his talent as elvis did with his voice , that talent you cant 'learn' but it seeps from their soul!

Its funny you say that because its only recently ive come to this conclusion, I'm often surprised when people say they don't like/get Hendrix but this is the way ive resolved it, that hes not really 'accessible' to a lot of people !

" Never was so Influential a Man so poorly prepared for his fate - nor so ineptly schooled for its Consequences"

"There was a reason they nicknamed him the King of Rock + Roll, !!!
THIS is the way ELVIS should be remembered! This is true greatness in the churchillian sense:
swaggering, daring, Proud yet humble, beaten yet never truly down,
MAGNIFICENT when victorious and always unforgettable! "

( Q magazine review 'Artist Of The Century' Dec 1999 )

James27

Post by James27 »

Thank you sir, I'm glad they are minds-a-like on this Elvis message board, who can and do appreciate other genius popular musicians and popular music! :) What I do appreciate in Elvis fans, is that more often than not, they have a broad and eclectic musical taste, just like Elvis himself had. And that in a way continues to keep bringing people and music (important part of their culture) together to the mix, from where different new music can be born and blossom. Elvis would have been happy with that, I'm sure. His is a lasting and living, ongoing Legacy.