Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Painful viewing

Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Eggrert wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Original Star Wars movies = "Elvis In Concert" ...

Now I've heard it all.

I was comparing the fans' reactions to the unavailability of the films, rather than the relative merits of the films themselves. I thought that was pretty clear, but I guess not...

Its not exactly what you wrote, but the analogy falls flat regardless.

There may be a segment of Lucas fans who would like the original release versions of the first three "Star Wars" films and with good reasons: the films are legendary, exciting, groundbreaking cinema, and worth owning. But, of course, those reasons don't apply to the 1977 CBS program: "Elvis In Concert" is neither exciting nor legendary.

And, of course, perfect quality copies of those "Star Wars" original editions are available, for those who know where to look, just like "Elvis In Concert."

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 pm

Again, it all depends on how it will be produced and released - what's the goal. To try to show Elvis in top form and as the everlasting rocker? No way. But to show that he could sing, that his weight wasn't 250 kg, that he was better compared to what most people believes - and released as a documentary? Yes.

The image of Elvis at the end is already ruined - a well done documentary of Elvis' "last concerts" in 5.1 DTS sound would certainly only help to make his image better. What is there to lose?

What many here see as a terrible product, I see potential. If it is done in the right way, that is.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:44 pm

Xaykev wrote:Again, it all depends on how it will be produced and released - what's the goal. To try to show Elvis in top form and as the everlasting rocker? No way. But to show that he could sing, that his weight wasn't 250 kg, that he was better compared to what most people believes - and released as a documentary? Yes.

Presley could and did sing in "Elvis In Concert," just very poorly for the most part.

The only "goal" that might be achieved in a formal release of the CBS-TV special is making money, much like the original reason the deal was signed in the first place. It's good to know Lisa Presley is looking elsewhere to highlight her father's tremendous accomplishments.

Xaykev wrote:The image of Elvis at the end is already ruined ...

Not necessarily, and not entirely. There are always going to be new fans who start with a clean slate, so adopting a cynical, "it doesn't matter anyway" attitude is a mistake. There is no "right way" to salvage the train wreck that is "Elvis In Concert."

What is emphasized officially regarding Elvis Presley and his career will resonate well beyond the immediate future, which is why releasing the worst professional concert footage will never be a good idea.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:48 pm

All they need to do is edit in alternate camera angles and include both Unchained Melody and Trying To Get To You. Problem solved.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Xaykev wrote:Again, it all depends on how it will be produced and released - what's the goal. To try to show Elvis in top form and as the everlasting rocker? No way. But to show that he could sing, that his weight wasn't 250 kg, that he was better compared to what most people believes - and released as a documentary? Yes.

Presley could and did sing in "Elvis In Concert," just very poorly for the most part.

The only "goal" that might be achieved in a formal release of the CBS-TV special is making money, much like the original reason the deal was signed in the first place. It's good to know Lisa Presley is looking elsewhere to highlight her father's tremendous accomplishments.

Not necessarily, and not entirely. There are always going to be new fans who start with a clean slate, so adopting a cynical, "it doesn't matter anyway" attitude is a mistake. There is no "right way" to salvage the train wreck that is "Elvis In Concert."

What is emphasized officially regarding Elvis Presley and his career will resonate well beyond the immediate future, which is why releasing the worst professional concert footage will never be a good idea.

Didn't expect any other answer from you. It's not possible to google "how to make EIC a very good and fascinating documentary".

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

That does rather sum it up, it has to be said.

The fact that a substantial portion of the original programme was made up of fans talking and preparations for the concert, rather than Elvis on stage, shows just how little material was thought to be broadcastable by CBS, and how much padding was required just to make 60 minutes of commercial TV. Trying to Get to You was about the only number suitable for broadcast that wasn't included, but even replacing the lamentable Hound Dog and Jailhouse Rock with TTGTY would hardly have saved the show. I know that others view And I Love You So and the Hawaiian Wedding Song as other possible inclusions, but really these are poor versions, with Elvis's vibrato as wide as a garage door on And I Love You So, and that the College Park rendition of Hawaiian Wedding Song was better than the EIC version shows just how poor it was.

As for Xaykev's comments on making the special a documentary, it would fail to make Presley look any better - and possibly worse. How do you make a programme about a concert tour that should never have happened without concentrating on what are, whether we like it or not, the important points: Presley's health, Presley's performance, Presley's addictions, and Presley's willingness to sign along the dotted line for a special he knew could ruin his career. On the one hand, people are berating the books that have concentrated on these issues, and on the other we have someone who wants to make a documentary about it with heartwrenching footage of the concert themselves. It's insane.

There is some weird obsession with Elvis in Concert, with some fans almost desparate to try and get something positive out of those final taped performances. There IS nothing positive in those performances. If people get enjoyment about a man dying on stage (in both senses of the term), then fine. But to suggest that something positive can be salvaged from those tapes for discerning fans and the general public is ludicrous. I doubt it would make Presley a cause of ridicule any more - the pictures have been out there for years for all to see. But it would certainly highlight the man's flaws, and his very sad end. There are many great things to celebrate within Presley's career, so why concentrate and almost be obsessed by the sad final chapter?

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:29 am

poormadpeter wrote: There are many great things to celebrate within Presley's career, so why concentrate and almost be obsessed by the sad final chapter?

With that said, I'll send yet another email to Mr.Warner requesting that all of the "On Tour" footage be released at once and without delay !!!

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:35 am

poormadpeter wrote:On the one hand, people are berating the books that have concentrated on these issues, and on the other we have someone who wants to make a documentary about it with heartwrenching footage of the concert themselves. It's insane.

You're right. For the average guy here on this MB that is insane. For people who thinks different it is the most normal thing to do. And the right thing.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:44 am

Xaykev wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Didn't expect any other answer from you. It's not possible to google "how to make EIC a very good and fascinating documentary".

You should try Googling "graceful." You might learn something.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:48 am

Xaykev wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:On the one hand, people are berating the books that have concentrated on these issues, and on the other we have someone who wants to make a documentary about it with heartwrenching footage of the concert themselves. It's insane.

You're right. For the average guy here on this MB that is insane. For people who thinks different it is the most normal thing to do. And the right thing.

But you're not giving reasons as to why this would be the right thing to do. How would it show Presley in a good light? or even show him a neutral light - if there is such a thing. It would show him giving shows that were not worth the ticket price, and certainly not what his fans deserved. It would give information on his health problems and their relationship with his drug addiction, and they would show Presley as a weak-willed human being unable to say no to his manager. In order for the documentary you suggest to be made, it would have to address these issues - and Presley would not come out in a positive light at the end of it.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:07 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Xaykev wrote:

But you're not giving reasons as to why this would be the right thing to do. How would it show Presley in a good light? or even show him a neutral light - if there is such a thing. It would show him giving shows that were not worth the ticket price, and certainly not what his fans deserved. It would give information on his health problems and their relationship with his drug addiction, and they would show Presley as a weak-willed human being unable to say no to his manager. In order for the documentary you suggest to be made, it would have to address these issues - and Presley would not come out in a positive light at the end of it.

I'll accept that I am probably nuts, as many of the best respondants here find nothing good about these concerts.

I actually had an old copy of this concert taped from years ago, couldn't bring my self to view it again and threw it out.
Yet in recent times I have viewed various clips of the concert on you tube and enjoyed them, looked terrible in most yet sounded great. I guess I've lost the plot.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:12 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Xaykev wrote:

What? I have been saying the same thing over and over through the years, try hit the search button. In summary; Elvis image of his last year can't basically be any worse, Elvis did some good versions, he wasn't as fat as people believe, the end has the perfect 'drama' for a documentary...that he looks tired, sick would make it even 'darker' and more fascinating, if done RIGHT. Michael Jackson was a wreck in the period when they filmed him the last months, still they made a fascinating documentary...with interviews of people close to MJ saying nice thing about him etc. A documentary isn't meant to showcast a perfect person; the goal is to tell a fascinating story.

Elvis weak-willed??! Then let the MM guys speak, they will tell the opposite. And watching him during 'Unchained Melody' does not portray a weak-willed person.
Last edited by Xaykev on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:You should try Googling "graceful." You might learn something.

Nah, you are the El Maestro of Googling.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:52 am

Xaykev wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Xaykev wrote:

What? I have been saying the same thing over and over through the years, try hit the search button. In summary; Elvis image of his last year can't basically be any worse, Elvis did some good versions, he wasn't as fat as people believe, the end has the perfect 'drama' for a documentary...that he looks tired, sick would make it even 'darker' and more fascinating, if done RIGHT. Michael Jackson was a wreck in the period when they filmed him the last months, still they made a fascinating documentary...with interviews of people close to MJ saying nice thing about him etc. A documentary isn't meant to showcast a perfect person; the goal is to tell a fascinating story.

Elvis weak-willed??! Then let the MM guys speak, they will tell the opposite. And watching him during 'Unchained Melody' does not portray a weak-willed person.

Anyone who is unable to say "no" is weak-willed, and Elvis had this problem throughout his life. The fact that you are enthusing about a "dark" documentary, that would somehow dramatise how tired and sick Elvis was is just bizarre. I critise performances or recordings and I'm asked if I'm really a fan, and here you somehow wanting to make a dark, dramatic documentary about Elvis's last shows. You may think that Elvis wasn't as fat as some people believe, but his weight was the last of his problems at this point in time. He may not look totally obese, but the changes to the very shape of his face, the sound of his speaking voice, and general on-stage demeanour are pitiful - to want to see those images in a documentary or a release of EIC is just ridiculous. Unchained Melody may get praised as a courageous performance by a singer trying his best. But it doesn't mean he nails it. He looks like a nervous little child, willing himself to show people that he's not done for. But he was. And the video of that performance is simply grotesque, and very sad indeed.

If there is one positive to take away from Elvis in Concert, it is simply that it is professional footage of Elvis on stage that documents his stage show at that time. That doesn't mean it's good, but it does mean it helps fill in a piece of the puzzle. Sure, for those who didn't see Elvis live, it is of interest to see how that 1976/77 (didn't) work on stage after hearing all those soundboards. But one viewing is certainly enough.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:14 am

poormadpeter wrote:There is some weird obsession with Elvis in Concert, with some fans almost desparate to try and get something positive out of those final taped performances. There IS nothing positive in those performances. If people get enjoyment about a man dying on stage (in both senses of the term), then fine. But to suggest that something positive can be salvaged from those tapes for discerning fans and the general public is ludicrous. I doubt it would make Presley a cause of ridicule any more - the pictures have been out there for years for all to see. But it would certainly highlight the man's flaws, and his very sad end. There are many great things to celebrate within Presley's career, so why concentrate and almost be obsessed by the sad final chapter?

A Blu-ray/DVD release would absolutely be noticed by the mainstream entertainment media. All the work by Sony/RCA/EPE in trying manage the legacy of Elvis Presley over the years through various projects and marketing campaigns would be swept away in one stroke by such a release. It wouldn't be huge news, but it would also not go unnoticed either. Many publications would reference the "new" Presley DVD and it would be noteworthy simply because it is so bad and confirms the "fat" and "drugged" clichés hateful reviewers love to reference. Reviews would be scathing and Elvis would be ridiculed. Why some fans want to see Elvis get trashed by the media one more time just so they can augment their collections is quite odd and disturbing.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:24 am

poormadpeter wrote:Anyone who is unable to say "no" is weak-willed, and Elvis had this problem throughout his life. The fact that you are enthusing about a "dark" documentary, that would somehow dramatise how tired and sick Elvis was is just bizarre. I critise performances or recordings and I'm asked if I'm really a fan, and here you somehow wanting to make a dark, dramatic documentary about Elvis's last shows. You may think that Elvis wasn't as fat as some people believe, but his weight was the last of his problems at this point in time. He may not look totally obese, but the changes to the very shape of his face, the sound of his speaking voice, and general on-stage demeanour are pitiful - to want to see those images in a documentary or a release of EIC is just ridiculous. Unchained Melody may get praised as a courageous performance by a singer trying his best. But it doesn't mean he nails it. He looks like a nervous little child, willing himself to show people that he's not done for. But he was. And the video of that performance is simply grotesque, and very sad indeed.

If there is one positive to take away from Elvis in Concert, it is simply that it is professional footage of Elvis on stage that documents his stage show at that time. That doesn't mean it's good, but it does mean it helps fill in a piece of the puzzle. Sure, for those who didn't see Elvis live, it is of interest to see how that 1976/77 (didn't) work on stage after hearing all those soundboards. But one viewing is certainly enough.

Oh, I don't think Elvis became The King because he was weak-willed, read what guys like Billy Smith, who knew him, says. Elvis was a very strong person. You can be strong-willed and still be an addict. Of course it has to be 'dark', how can it not? Do you think it should be a comedy?

Elvis nailed 'Unchained', yes.

poormadpeter wrote:He looks like a nervous little child, willing himself to show people that he's not done for.

Yes! Sometimes he did look like that, that's the point. Wake up, man.

And it is not ridiculous.

It's just a matter of attitude. You are an 'EPE' guy...I'm an 'Apple' person. I want Elvis to have an edge. I want EPE to think different. Not the kinda no creative, no attitude type of today.
Last edited by Xaykev on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:31 am

Xaykev wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Anyone who is unable to say "no" is weak-willed, and Elvis had this problem throughout his life. The fact that you are enthusing about a "dark" documentary, that would somehow dramatise how tired and sick Elvis was is just bizarre. I critise performances or recordings and I'm asked if I'm really a fan, and here you somehow wanting to make a dark, dramatic documentary about Elvis's last shows. You may think that Elvis wasn't as fat as some people believe, but his weight was the last of his problems at this point in time. He may not look totally obese, but the changes to the very shape of his face, the sound of his speaking voice, and general on-stage demeanour are pitiful - to want to see those images in a documentary or a release of EIC is just ridiculous. Unchained Melody may get praised as a courageous performance by a singer trying his best. But it doesn't mean he nails it. He looks like a nervous little child, willing himself to show people that he's not done for. But he was. And the video of that performance is simply grotesque, and very sad indeed.

Oh, I don't think Elvis became The King because he was weak-willed, read what guys like Billy Smith, who knew him, says. Elvis was a very strong person. You can be strong-willed and still be an addict. Of course it has to be 'dark', how can it not? Do you think it should be a comedy?

Compared to MJ during 'This Is It' I will say Elvis nailed 'Unchained', yes.

poormadpeter wrote:He looks like a nervous little child, willing himself to show people that he's not done for.

And one day I will be right 8)

So you want to expose to the world everything that was wrong about Elvis in 1977? Nice.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:37 am

poormadpeter wrote:So you want to expose to the world everything that was wrong about Elvis in 1977? Nice.

Steve Jobs would have loved your attitude.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:54 am

Eggrert wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:So let them be unhappy...

Just saying that the clamoring for the film's release isn't going to let up anytime soon...

We've been talking about this CBS TV event for the past 35 years... and it still hasn't come out in any official capacity. The "clamoring" is hardly anything new...

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:01 am

Xaykev wrote:

It's just a matter of attitude. You are an 'EPE' guy...I'm an 'Apple' person. I want Elvis to have an edge. I want EPE to think different. Not the kinda no creative, no attitude type of today.

I don't know what you're saying. If EPE released "EIC"...that would prove them to be creative for showing Elvis "had an edge?" It doesn't matter what year it is or how many different ways we've had this discussion on this board: the people who support an EIC release are ridiculously selfish and are only looking to have the footage in bluray quality to fill that gaping hole in their collection. Forget Elvis' integrity or Lisa Marie's feelings of seeing her father in such a terrible state--one that, no doubt, brings back many painful memories---just release the damn footage so we could marvel on how great quality footage it is!! Unbelievable.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:52 am

Justin wrote:
Xaykev wrote:

I don't know what you're saying. If EPE released "EIC"...that would prove them to be creative for showing Elvis "had an edge?" It doesn't matter what year it is or how many different ways we've had this discussion on this board: the people who support an EIC release are ridiculously selfish and are only looking to have the footage in bluray quality to fill that gaping hole in their collection. Forget Elvis' integrity or Lisa Marie's feelings of seeing her father in such a terrible state--one that, no doubt, brings back many painful memories---just release the damn footage so we could marvel on how great quality footage it is!! Unbelievable.

Exactly right.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:16 am

Justin wrote:
Xaykev wrote:

indeed. But sadly this is the way fans have been for years now - every utterance that Presley made needs to be available to them. I have raised this issue before of what is and what is not right to issue, and what is and is not some kind of abuse of Presley on the part of both the record company and the fans who buy it. EIC aside, is it really something Presley would have wanted to have had some of the those 76/77 soundboards released on FTD? Or even the fiascos of summer and autumn 1974? Yes, he performed those shows in front of thousands - but he never would have dreamed that we could or would still be listening to them decades later. EIC is the culmination of that obsession by some for everything that's out there. The double album was released in '77 and is an established part of the catalogue - it's a sad album, but loses its power to totally shock without the visuals. Issuing that video officially would be the worst thing possible, and an insult. What's more, I don't see a similar clamour for such things on forums for other stars that I visit (albeit less frequently). I have yet to hear Sinatra fans asking for the official release on DVD of the Japanese TV special from 1994, for example, in which the 79 year old singer is clearly jet-lagged, tired and weary, and loses his place on multiple occasions during the course of the show. It seems to be an Elvis phenomenon for fans to want to see their idol at his very worst, and it's not a pleasant one.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:54 am

poormadpeter wrote: If people get enjoyment about a man dying on stage (in both senses of the term), then fine.

So you think we are watching a dying man on stage?

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:28 am

Should »Elvis In Concert« get an official release? I say yes! Why?

This TV-Special is so much more then a sad look of a dying man. It is a statement for all the artists to learn. The dream that become a nightmare. Elvis becomes so big and now he lost all. He had his life in his hands and gives it away for the showbiz and the money.

What did we see? The old women with the cameras holding in Elvis face. A clown in an old Jumpsuit (look at the seams) that tossing scarfs to people want hearing the old golden hits. Rubbernecks in the carnival. Elvis dismount himself and yes, it is hurting in a very hard way.

But should the responsible for his legacy delete all the bad parts of his life? I say no! We all like the books of Guralnick. Should he delete the last part of »Careless Love« because it hurts? Should the bad films, soundtracks and songs delete from the market? No that was canting!

»Elvis In Concert« must be release in the way it was. No extras, no cuttings and no edits. FTD should take the original album, make one CD, and put the original CBS-Special as DVD in it. No extras but a booklet that explains it. It is a historic document.

The people like me that are interesting in Elvis life have a right to get it. The special is the film to the last part of Elvis’ biography.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:38 am

Winston wrote:The people like me that are interesting in Elvis life have a right to get it. The special is the film to the last part of Elvis’ biography.

Agreed.

But let's get this ... final chapter ... out AFTER all other unreleased videos and films on Elvis have been officially issued.