Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Painful viewing

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:50 am

rizzy56 wrote:
IMETJB wrote:
londonflash wrote:On a side note, maybe the more familiar the images become, the less their ability to shock is? Certainly that way for me..

I would agree. Unfortunately, many "fans" simply do not care. They don't care to figure out 1) why it is they want the footage, 2) how they feel about having the public reminded of this footage and 3) what they expect the general reaction will be once this footage is released. Somehow, they believe the public is ready for the footage and wouldn't blink an eye if it were released.

I still cannot understand how any sane fan can push for this footage to be officially released in its complete form.

i dont know about you but i as afan would rather watch EIC and feel the compassion for the artish, than see another impersonator or some dumb arse Mr potato head, pushed out there to make ajoke of his image.

Why do people constantly think this is an either/or issue? In a perfect world (which is the only place one could entertain these scenarios) if I had to choose either a potato head Elvis or a 3 DVD boxset of EIC...I would pick NEITHER.

You cannot find Elvis potato heads in your local Best Buy or Wal-Mart. You can only get it from the Elvis catalog online or by actually going to Memphis and getting one. A EIC release would be available worldwide at any store that sells DVDs. How are these the same issues??

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:58 am

IMETJB wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:
IMETJB wrote:
londonflash wrote:On a side note, maybe the more familiar the images become, the less their ability to shock is? Certainly that way for me..

I would agree. Unfortunately, many "fans" simply do not care. They don't care to figure out 1) why it is they want the footage, 2) how they feel about having the public reminded of this footage and 3) what they expect the general reaction will be once this footage is released. Somehow, they believe the public is ready for the footage and wouldn't blink an eye if it were released.

I still cannot understand how any sane fan can push for this footage to be officially released in its complete form.

i dont know about you but i as afan would rather watch EIC and feel the compassion for the artish, than see another impersonator or some dumb arse Mr potato head, pushed out there to make ajoke of his image.

Why do people constantly think this is an either/or issue? In a perfect world (which is the only place one could entertain these scenarios) if I had to choose either a potato head Elvis or a 3 DVD boxset of EIC...I would pick NEITHER.

You cannot find Elvis potato heads in your local Best Buy or Wal-Mart. You can only get it from the Elvis catalog online or by actually going to Memphis and getting one. A EIC release would be available worldwide at any store that sells DVDs. How are these the same issues??

well if they are more happy to put their best efforts into potato heads and impersonators, and not the man himself..well it gives you some kind of idea whats instore in the years to come.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:03 am

rizzy56 wrote:
IMETJB wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:
IMETJB wrote:

well if they are more happy to put their best efforts into potato heads and impersonators, and not the man himself..well it gives you some kind of idea whats instore in the years to come.

By this comment, you are proposing that they release EIC, yes? Do you have no comment to any of the questions or comments that other members including myself have put forth on this issue? Or are you that tunnel-visioned (not to mention immature) to believe that your own thought process is the only valid one?

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:09 am

whats the point in making acomment in relation to An EIC thread when the same amigos come in with the very same opinion that they think everyone else should have...if not you are below them.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:12 am

my first comment here was more or less agreeing with you about the editing.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Delboy wrote:Just played the CBS Elvis in Concert video for the first time in years; had to switch it off. It is seriously painful viewing. I know Elvis (and CP) were in financial trouble but how they thought this would get them back on track is beyond me. Hard work. If you think having this in Blue-Ray or surround sound etc will improve it you are delusional I think a dose of the 68 special is in order. ::rocks

+1

A brand new sympathetic edit of EIC remastered from the original unedited video elements whilst utilizing and incorporating remixed multi-track audio would technically improve this much maligned TV Special, regardless of ones thoughts of the merits of Elvis' performance, there is no two ways about it.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:26 am

Really?

Was there a camera behind Elvis that I don't know about that also captured the shows?

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:42 am

I thought this debate about EIC ended several weeks ago. When will it stop ?? :roll:

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:46 am

TCB-FAN wrote:I thought this debate about EIC ended several weeks ago. When will it stop ?? :roll:

I am not sure..but they call the likes of me the hardcore fan..thats ajoke i am not the one that wants to hide EIC

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:50 am

Sympathises, detractors and neutrals can't get enough of them....

::rocks

Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:25 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Delboy wrote:Just played the CBS Elvis in Concert video for the first time in years; had to switch it off. It is seriously painful viewing. I know Elvis (and CP) were in financial trouble but how they thought this would get them back on track is beyond me. Hard work. If you think having this in Blue-Ray or surround sound etc will improve it you are delusional I think a dose of the 68 special is in order. ::rocks

+1

A brand new sympathetic edit of EIC remastered from the original unedited video elements whilst utilizing and incorporating remixed multi-track audio would technically improve this much maligned TV Special, regardless of ones thoughts of the merits of Elvis' performance, there is no two ways about it.

A sympathetic edit? You mean one with the intro credits, the stage set-up sequencing, and end credits? That would be a killer presentation.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:36 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

+1

You can't polish a t**d! Hate to be harsh but I'm with the folks here that can't watch 5 seconds of this show and YES I'm a huge fan. It's because I'm a huge fan that I'm not able to watch it.

If I had a family member/girlfriend etc die from cancer (perhaps a bad example but I'll continue) I'm not going to want the world to see pictures of that person lying on their death-bed when there are many pics available that show how gorgeous and full of life this person was. To me this is Elvis on his death-bed and it's incredibly hard to watch.

Now where's that 68 Special and/or Aloha blu? I'll buy multiple copies of each and pass them out to friends and family!

Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:49 am

midnightx wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

+1

A sympathetic edit? You mean one with the intro credits, the stage set-up sequencing, and end credits? That would be a killer presentation.

That's exactly what I had in mind - Plus of course the bloke who says "He's human" ad infinitum, you can't leave him out of a new edit.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:55 am

I'm a huge Elvis fan too for 55 years and sorry to those who love Elvis In Concert but I CAN"T watch it..........I've seen all the shows and never ever want to see them again........it's just too sad and frankly it makes me sick why Elvis was out there touring in such terrible condition.................I'll listen to those shows from the last tour but I definitely never want to see Elvis performing them...................... :( .

Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:56 am

thxphotog wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

+1

You can't polish a t**d! Hate to be harsh but I'm with the folks here that can't watch 5 seconds of this show and YES I'm a huge fan. It's because I'm a huge fan that I'm not able to watch it.

If I had a family member/girlfriend etc die from cancer (perhaps a bad example but I'll continue) I'm not going to want the world to see pictures of that person lying on their death-bed when there are many pics available that show how gorgeous and full of life this person was. To me this is Elvis on his death-bed and it's incredibly hard to watch.

Now where's that 68 Special and/or Aloha blu? I'll buy multiple copies of each and pass them out to friends and family!

Go back and read my post, but this time properly. From a technical point of view EIC could certainly be improved regardless of it's shortcomings. Comprendez ?

Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:19 am

Wow, some members coming forward admitting how difficult it is to watch the EIC footage....you would think that this would make the EIC supporters see just how many people out there actually find this footage unwatchable.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:53 am

IMETJB wrote:This is true as there are a few other moments throughout the broadcast that could easily be attributed to this. But I can't let the issue with YGMAM slide. While I don't believe the producers inserted the laughter to be spiteful, I do think they misunderstood Elvis' performance style. That edit, to me, reflects how they felt about Elvis and if they thought it was funny...or at least thought that Elvis was trying to be funny...they just missed the mark. Could be an innocent mistake. I would think that when editors are in front of the task of trying to piece together something watchable with this trainwreck of a performance...the last thing they'd want to add is a jab or low blow to the performer. Elvis was right when he said "he needed all the help he could get..." but in this one particular case, the editors flubbed.

When I watch this I see a couple of women getting a little giggly because they enjoy when Elvis moves. I don't think there was any intention to mock Elvis.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:35 am

[/quote]
Go back and read my post, but this time properly. From a technical point of view EIC could certainly be improved regardless of it's shortcomings. Comprendez ?[/quote]

Dude, that's what I commented on. Who the heck cares what type of beautiful frame you put on a horrible picture?? Does that make the picture easier to look at?? I've been in the entertainment industry here in L.A. for 15 years and have, at the risk of sounding arrogant, a spectacular dedicated home theater room in my house with an emphasis on fine picture and sound quality. There's NOBODY here that would appreciate uncompressed soundtracks and carefully remastered video sources of Elvis material more than me. EIC could have the best of both and it would still be impossible to watch. Comprendez??

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:40 am

The first time i saw a few songs from 77 was from the movie THIS IS ELVIS. I felt sick to my stomach.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:59 am

GuitarKing wrote:The first time i saw a few songs from 77 was from the movie THIS IS ELVIS. I felt sick to my stomach.

I remember like it was yesterday: I was 10 years old and my mom (who was a HUGE fan) said as the camera catches him about to enter the stage: "Oh my god! Look at him!!"

Now having said all this and lingering on a downer subject, this is just a brief period in the life of a person who was the most amazing looking dude that ever walked the earth! :-)

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:13 am

GuitarKing wrote:The first time i saw a few songs from 77 was from the movie THIS IS ELVIS. I felt sick to my stomach.

Can you imagine a twelve-year old boy sitting in front of the TV with his mum, watching "My Way" as featured on "This Is Elvis" and sobbing? That was me.
During a time I rarely cried at all this was one of the moments when I really broke down.
I just couldn't believe it - and could hardly bare it at all.

Yes, not long after that I watched EIC and it was the same bad feeling.

When I watched Omaha and Rapid City for the first time in its (almost) entirety, I still felt bad, but in the whole context it was ummmm... let's say "watchable".

I even caught myself thinking (while watching Rapid City from TFC a few months back): He gave all he could on that one - and every spark that was still left in him - even if it were very, very few...

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:23 pm

midnightx wrote:CBS' edit of Elvis In Concert is not half as bad as many proclaim it to be. The special as an appropriate mix of pre-concert footage, performances of hits that had to be included, and some vocal highlights captured on film. Some fans act as if the producers went out of their way to make a mockery of Elvis. The producers did not tell Elvis to lumber around the stage during Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel and toss away dozens of scarves to screaming grandmas -- yet, the producers understandably felt compelled to include a medley of those two monster hits that many viewers would expect to see, in addition to giving the audience a glimpse of the euphoria many female fans still felt towards their idol (regardless of their age). The producers didn't tell Elvis to toss away Hound Dog and Jailhouse Rock. Elvis did that on his own. And again, the inclusion of performances of Elvis' '50s gold would have been expected by viewers. It isn't as if the producers kept in the embarrassing monologue from Are You Lonesome Tonight. Some of the crowd shots can be construed as people laughing at Elvis, but those split-second shots are not overly obvious to the casual eye -- it is more of an issue for hardcore Elvis fans combing through the footage with watchful eyes.

With regards to the non-musical content, clearly some of the fan interviews came off as awkward and bizarre, but some also worked in their own way. The producers were trying to showcase an artist with a very broad, enthusiastic audience. The producers tried to show the size and scope of the touring operation with the pre-show set-up scenes. Additionally, it was only fitting to have Vernon share some thoughts on Elvis' career, especially once the special took on a different scope after Elvis' death.

Aside from the mixture of toss-away performances of Elvis' classics, the producers included respectable renditions of I Really Don't Want To Know, Hurt, How Great Thou Art, and My Way. Some fans believe that a new edit with the pitch-troubled, bellowing Trying To Get To You and painful, yet successful Unchained Melody would save the special. They would not. Clearly, Trying To Get To You is a better song than If You Love Me (Let Me Know), but with a handful of '50s tracks already slotted, perhaps the producers wanted more of a balance of contemporary numbers and that is why Olivia Newton-John's track remained.

It was an hour spectacle. The footage was damaging and probably very difficult to work with. CBS was obviously concerned with what it had to work with prior to Elvis' death. Once he died and they knew something needed to be pieced together, an appropriate edit was put together. A couple of tracks substituted for others would not have saved the EIC train-wreck.

I totally agree, I think the point some try to make is that a better edit could have ensued. Some of the fan shots really are an embarassment.

Anyway, here's a reminder of the Elvis performances they included for Elvis In Concert:

See See Rider
That's All Right

Are You Lonesome Tonight? [sans monologue]
(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel
You Gave Me a Mountain
Jailhouse Rock
How Great Thou Art
I Really Don't Want to Know
Hurt

Hound Dog
My Way
Can't Help Falling In Love

Overall I think they did a pretty good job with these selections, but it wasn't perfect. It appears they had 12 song performance slots available and chose the above 12. The ones I've highlighted in blue are the ones I think nobody would argue about including. So it only leaves 4 so-called dubious choices. But in all cases I can fully understand why they were included and although the performances themselevs may be sub-par, they were trademark Presley classics. In regards to "(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel", it shows the fan hysteria Elvis could still generate. "Hound Dog" and "Jailhouse Rock" both show how Elvis still tried to 'move' and rock, and they both have these 'different' endings that I'm sure you all have your opinion about. And "Can't Help Falling In Love" was an integral part of the Elvis Presley show and was the trademark concert closer for the majority of his shows between 1969-1977. So it's weighing those reasons up against for what I would say are 3 superior performances in "Trying to Get to You", "Hawaiian Wedding Song" and "Unchained Melody".

No other performances were worthy of inclusion. In my own personal opinion I would have liked to somehow include those 3 performances, especially the haunting, tragic but mesmerising "Unchained Melody". It's raw, it's naked and to be honest I don't think there's any reason why they should have left it out considering the circumstances of the special and the other footage that was shown. "Hawaiian Wedding Song" was probably one of the nicest performances he gave in both shows. He recaptures some of that old beauty and tenderness in his voice and I just really like that version. Although in places there are a few wobbles, he pulls it off really well and I think it's lovely. And "Trying to Get to You" is an old personal favourite of mine and it was one of those songs that Elvis always managed to pull off. Whenever the song was performed between 1974-77 it was always one of the best performances of the show - the fact it is an old SUN classic and an album cut from his most famous album, only adds to the reasons it should have been included.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:01 pm

midnightx wrote:A sympathetic edit? You mean one with the intro credits, the stage set-up sequencing, and end credits? That would be a killer presentation.

thxphotog wrote:You can't polish a t**d! Hate to be harsh but I'm with the folks here that can't watch 5 seconds of this show and YES I'm a huge fan. It's because I'm a huge fan that I'm not able to watch it.

Hey!

You guys are stealing some of my most memorable EIC material.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:01 pm

midnightx wrote:CBS' edit of Elvis In Concert is not half as bad as many proclaim it to be. The special as an appropriate mix of pre-concert footage, performances of hits that had to be included, and some vocal highlights captured on film. Some fans act as if the producers went out of their way to make a mockery of Elvis. The producers did not tell Elvis to lumber around the stage during Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel and toss away dozens of scarves to screaming grandmas -- yet, the producers understandably felt compelled to include a medley of those two monster hits that many viewers would expect to see, in addition to giving the audience a glimpse of the euphoria many female fans still felt towards their idol (regardless of their age). The producers didn't tell Elvis to toss away Hound Dog and Jailhouse Rock. Elvis did that on his own. And again, the inclusion of performances of Elvis' '50s gold would have been expected by viewers. It isn't as if the producers kept in the embarrassing monologue from Are You Lonesome Tonight. Some of the crowd shots can be construed as people laughing at Elvis, but those split-second shots are not overly obvious to the casual eye -- it is more of an issue for hardcore Elvis fans combing through the footage with watchful eyes.

With regards to the non-musical content, clearly some of the fan interviews came off as awkward and bizarre, but some also worked in their own way. The producers were trying to showcase an artist with a very broad, enthusiastic audience. The producers tried to show the size and scope of the touring operation with the pre-show set-up scenes. Additionally, it was only fitting to have Vernon share some thoughts on Elvis' career, especially once the special took on a different scope after Elvis' death.

Aside from the mixture of toss-away performances of Elvis' classics, the producers included respectable renditions of I Really Don't Want To Know, Hurt, How Great Thou Art, and My Way. Some fans believe that a new edit with the pitch-troubled, bellowing Trying To Get To You and painful, yet successful Unchained Melody would save the special. They would not. Clearly, Trying To Get To You is a better song than If You Love Me (Let Me Know), but with a handful of '50s tracks already slotted, perhaps the producers wanted more of a balance of contemporary numbers and that is why Olivia Newton-John's track remained.

It was an hour spectacle. The footage was damaging and probably very difficult to work with. CBS was obviously concerned with what it had to work with prior to Elvis' death. Once he died and they knew something needed to be pieced together, an appropriate edit was put together. A couple of tracks substituted for others would not have saved the EIC train-wreck.

Great post MidnightX, I can only agree. Although I wish for EIC to be released eventually and officially (on a collectors label perhaps) it is all part of the history that shows us what kind of a wreck Elvis had become at the end of his life. It is a sad affair to watch, but we should accept it is part of the Elvis story.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:51 pm

ehm.....have you guys ever seen movies like "double trouble" and how
painfull it is to see Elvis suddenly burst out in a song like
"old mac Donald" musically spoken this is much worser than elvis in
concert. Or what about the FTD cd "new heaven" all found there official release.
So we are not that strange with bad and painfull releases of our man :wink: .

I'm not a big fan of the CBS footage but i a do believe like some others state that
despite Elvis health problems :cry: a better editing of the show could indeed improve it, no doubt.