Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Painful viewing

Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:21 am

bquick wrote:The only way CBS could have fixed EIC is if it opened with his father saying "elvis was in poor health near the end of his life and we want him to be remembered at his best. CBS has come to a joint agreement to air what you are about to see." And then they should have played the 68 special and burned the EIC tape.

I agree with you. Not long after the special aired, a lot of fans thought the same thing, they should've burned all EIC tapes and played the '68 special.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:26 am

bquick wrote:The only way CBS could have fixed EIC is if it opened with his father saying "elvis was in poor health near the end of his life and we want him to be remembered at his best. CBS has come to a joint agreement to air what you are about to see." And then they should have played the 68 special and burned the EIC tape.

Brilliant!

Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:40 am

Scarre wrote:
IMETJB wrote: A EIC release would be available worldwide at any store that sells DVDs

So what? Do you really believe that someone would care? Serioulsy. Why do you feel the need to protect him?

Are you serious?

You ask that question when we are amidst threads on this very board asking, "Is it cool to be an Elvis fan in 2011?" "Are the impersonators taking Elvis' place?" We got here today due in large part by the effects of that awful footage plastered on TV's everywhere back in 1977 and now available all over the internet. Whether you care to admit or realize it or not: Elvis In Concert singlehandedly sealed Elvis' fate as the overweight, jumpsuit dripped and Vegas act that plagues him to this VERY day. Can you imagine a world where none of this footage exists? Not one frame could be found anywhere?

Why do I feel the need to protect him? Brilliant. Why do you feel the need to invite others to crap all over him again? Why remind people just how bad it got for him? Why remind people just how sick he got? Why remind people that he died 2 months later?
If you're asking why we need to protect him you most obviously do not pay attention to today's media. Are you not aware of today's tabloids (sites, print and TV shows)? They'll take any opportunity to rehash any old story just to fill their time. A remastered, newly available DVD set of never-before-released footage WILL make waves...big or small...they will catch notice.

In the end, can anyone here really explain why releasing this would be good for Elvis? Honestly. Forget about "the legacy" and "not ignoring his history"...and the 3 or 4 whatever songs that people here constantly rave about that are passable (TTGTY, HGTA, UM and Hurt)...what other reason is it to release this footage in its entirety? Once again, what does this footage offer that a consumer cannot find in the 1) Ed Sullivan set 2) Comeback set , 3) TTWII DVD and 4) the Aloha set? Each of these products delivers STELLAR performances that allows any type of fan or consumer to walk away and say..."Damn...now that was good." Will Elvis In Concert deliver that same reaction?

Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:48 am

IMETJB wrote:
Why do I feel the need to protect him? Brilliant. Why do you feel the need to invite others to crap all over him again? Why remind people just how bad it got for him? Why remind people just how sick he got? Why remind people that he died 2 months later?

although i agree wholehearted that the footage shouldn't be released, it's worth remembering that the decline didn;t happen to Elvis. The vast majority of the blame has to be on the man himself. He wasn't a victim of some horrendous disease, just of his own inability to take control of his life and career. And I don't think either of those things was down to him being stupid, but just sheer complacency.

(waits for the flack!)

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:56 am

bquick wrote:and burned the EIC tape.

EPE could still do this - maybe one day these tapes will realise their full potential... as kindling.

Painful viewing

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:07 am

poormadpeter wrote:I really don't think the Winehouse fans are freaks in the way some Elvis fans are. It's the media which were showing clips from that show in all their "glory" when she passed away a week or so.

I wasn't talking about her fans. When I say freaks, I mean the ones who'd love to be tasteless in watching her at her worst - just weeks before her death.

Same reaction if a bunch of hecklers got their hands on EIC.

Painful viewing

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:21 am

IMETJB wrote:In the end, can anyone here really explain why releasing this would be good for Elvis? Honestly. Forget about "the legacy" and "not ignoring his history"...and the 3 or 4 whatever songs that people here constantly rave about that are passable (TTGTY, HGTA, UM and Hurt)...what other reason is it to release this footage in its entirety?

Going to answer this one as a Elvis In Concert fan that I was at 14 (Twenty Years ago) and not with the common sense I have today.

1. Elvis never goes durn, durn, durn, sha-ba on Hound Dog on Ed Sullivan.

2. For the sneeze on See See Rider.

3. To truly hear what Elvis said to Tony Brown after the piano solo - "He a mean kid, ya know?"

4. For the attempt to go Aloah during Love Me in Rapid City.

5. The fat Wayne Newton pose.

6. Greatest version of That's All Right.

7. Before I kick your a-- line on Don't Be Cruel.

8. Greatest version of My Way.

9. Greatest version of How Great Thou Art.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:41 am

EPA4368 wrote:

I agree with you. Not long after the special aired, a lot of fans thought the same thing, they should've burned all EIC tapes and played the '68 special.

For the sake of history i am glad they did not burn those tapes. I mean, your idea of airing the Comeback Special is brilliant and by far the best solution. BUT to burn the tapes is something else. I have trouble with burning material that is of some historical importance, even though it is tragic to watch.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:30 pm

bquick wrote: And then they should have played the 68 special and burned the EIC tape.

Yeah, that's the idea! Let's start burning stuff! Maybe this year Elvis Week should culminate with a bonfire on the front lawn of Graceland, with EPE burning all the EIC tapes. Maybe Ernst could bring all the 76/77 soundboards FTD has and throw them in the fire. Jeez! Why stop there? Why not throw in everything post Aloha? Did someone say Aloha? As discussed here, Aloha wasn't that great after all, so may as well through that in too. On Tour? He's swollen and obviously on drugs. Burn, baby, burn! That's The Way It Is? We'll take that one under consideration for next year.

Then, instead of a candlelight vigil, we could go take a piss on his grave. «There you go, Elvis. That's for becoming a fat junky.... That's for giving half-assed rushed versions of your hits..... That's for singing Olivia Newton-John songs..... That's for recording MOR crap.... You made people laugh at me because I'm a fan....

Man! Fun for the whole family!

Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Wow, ease off pal. I didn't mean literally, but I have no problem with them figuratively burying those tapes for good.

Mister Mike wrote:
bquick wrote: And then they should have played the 68 special and burned the EIC tape.

Yeah, that's the idea! Let's start burning stuff! Maybe this year Elvis Week should culminate with a bonfire on the front lawn of Graceland, with EPE burning all the EIC tapes. Maybe Ernst could bring all the 76/77 soundboards FTD has and throw them in the fire. Jeez! Why stop there? Why not throw in everything post Aloha? Did someone say Aloha? As discussed here, Aloha wasn't that great after all, so may as well through that in too. On Tour? He's swollen and obviously on drugs. Burn, baby, burn! That's The Way It Is? We'll take that one under consideration for next year.

Then, instead of a candlelight vigil, we could go take a piss on his grave. «There you go, Elvis. That's for becoming a fat junky.... That's for giving half-assed rushed versions of your hits..... That's for singing Olivia Newton-John songs..... That's for recording MOR crap.... You made people laugh at me because I'm a fan....

Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:47 pm

The fact that Elvis let those cameras in those nights (let alone letting the audience in) was a severe error of judgement, and I'm sure those tapes would have been buried for good had Elvis lived.

Elvis was an entertainer. EIC was never entertaining and I'm sure Elvis would never want us to see that footage. If you looked and sounded like that, clearly out of it at various points, would you want your public to watch that? Would you feel good about your public clamouring for that?

In other words, if you were dying, would you want to record yourself at your worst so your family and friends can remember you like that?

Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:30 pm

I don't understand why Lisa just doesn't simply burn or dispose of the CBS masters in the Estate's possesions and then have the Estate announce that the tapes have been destroyed for obvious reasons.
The world doesn't need a commercial EIC dvd or for that matter another AMARILLO '77 rubbish.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:48 pm

In 1977, I was 7. On TV was Elvis week. IIRC it was a three night event. The 1968 Comeback, the Aloha from Hawaii, and Elvis in Concert. The 1968 comeback, I remember well. It was the Elvis I knew, as the only two records I had to listen to was from my fathers collection: Elvis (68' Comeback) and Elvis in Concert. The single, Hard Headed Woman. The second, Aloha from Hawaii, I don't remember it that well from that night, though I remember seeing most of it, and it was good. The last, Elvis in Concert. When I first saw Elvis, I didn't recognize the man. I asked my parents, who he was. They told me, Elvis. It wasn't the Elvis they remembered or grew up listening to. It seemed like 1000s of flash bulbs lit up the screen. The awaiting fans still adored the man and his music. It wasn't too long before the channel was changed. My parents couldn't watch any more. We flipped back and forth between channels during commercials, but I didn't see too much of the show.

Years later in the 1990s, I had the opportunity to see Elvis in Concert. It brought back so many fond memories. I am glad to have had seen the concert(s). I believe that the concert should be released. It has been in circulation for many years. It once took a resourceful person to find a copy. It can now be seen on YouTube. It is literally everywhere. If one are a die-hard fan of Elvis or someone who pokes fun at the man, chances are they have already seen the video. An official release could be a limited edition, serialized, and expensive with all the bells and whistles. This would satisfy those serious Elvis fans. Then release a cheaper production for the rest of the fans and (anti-fans).

That is just my two cents.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:13 pm

In the years before I had a VCR, I probably say EIC half a dozen times, including the two television airings. Each time, I found the scene where he steps from the back corridor into the stage entrance area particularly jarring. He didn't look like that in any of the photos I'd seen. He didn't look like that when I saw him in Providence, only a month earlier. He was heavy, yes, but there was something else that I, as a young kid back then, couldn't put my finger on. Now, I'm desensitized to it, but I can see how a first-time viewer would be shocked at the swelling, the bloating, the slurring, the lumbering, etc.

That said, some tourist is going to be equally shocked after giving a spin to some of the FTDs they purchased in the Graceland shops. EPE makes no effort to point out that a high percentage of the music it offers for sale in its official store is derived from substandard sources.

One can purchase This Is Elvis, and see the worst of the EIC footage. They are reissuing Great Performances, which includes the Rapid City Unchained Melody, with it's extreme closeups of sweat cascading off of Elvis' face, as he struggles to catch his breath. They show selections of EIC on the Graceland tour, and it appears in their official tour video.

And on we go.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:31 pm

elvisjock wrote:One can purchase This Is Elvis, and see the worst of the EIC footage. They are reissuing Great Performances, which includes the Rapid City Unchained Melody, with it's extreme closeups of sweat cascading off of Elvis' face, as he struggles to catch his breath. They show selections of EIC on the Graceland tour, and it appears in their official tour video...

Yep, it's out there to see alright. As already mentioned, there's loads of it up on YouTube. Surely if EPE wanted to they could have all that taken down.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:02 pm

Mister Mike wrote:

Although I am not for a DVD release, you bring us a good balance to fans here that are too much severe about Elvis Presley!
Inconsciously, we are trying to understand why the medias don't praise Elvis like they do with The Beatles. We are trying to find the reasons.

We are very objective about Elvis but we go too far and blaming him for a MOVIE song like MCDonald is exagerated. It is a soundtrack from a movie!!

Objectivity is not a problem here. Maybe somewhere else...

Don't forget, a MAC never freeze... Yeah sure.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:14 pm

JYM wrote:Inconsciously, we are trying to understand why the medias don't praise Elvis like they do with The Beatles. We are trying to find the reasons.

Clear-thinking fans already understand.

The EIC debate will never end. A select group will always find every misguided reason in the world to justify their position that EIC and the CBS materials should be released to the masses. Fortunately for Elvis, it is probably a long-shot that this damaging, legacy-tarnishing train-wreck footage gets a DVD/Blu-ray reissue. For all the negativity aimed at EPE, keeping EIC out of print may be the best artistic decision they ever made. Well done EPE.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:38 pm

midnightx wrote:
JYM wrote:Inconsciously, we are trying to understand why the medias don't praise Elvis like they do with The Beatles. We are trying to find the reasons.

The EIC debate will never end. A select group will always find every misguided reason in the world to justify their position that EIC and the CBS materials should be released to the masses. Fortunately for Elvis, it is probably a long-shot that this damaging, legacy-tarnishing train-wreck footage gets a DVD/Blu-ray reissue. For all the negativity aimed at EPE, keeping EIC out of print may be the best artistic decision they ever made. Well done EPE.

midnightx, This is so true! Great post!

Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:00 pm

EPA4368 wrote:
midnightx wrote:

midnightx, This is so true! Great post!

I agree.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:15 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:When I watched Omaha and Rapid City for the first time in its (almost) entirety, I still felt bad, but in the whole context it was ummmm... let's say "watchable".

I even caught myself thinking (while watching Rapid City from TFC a few months back): He gave all he could on that one - and every spark that was still left in him - even if it were very, very few...

I agree. You can see he is willing, but there is just nothing left. Sad. Like Elvis used to say: "The spirit is willing, but the body is failing" or words to that effect. So he was well aware of his own condition and i must say, i have to give Elvis credit for trying. But 1977 should have had no shows at all and Elvis in the hospital.

And i am not sure the majority of the ailments were brought on by medication. I have a debilitating disease and i need lots of medication, up to 20 different medications a day. What will kill me? Either way you are doomed.

In Elvis' case, one major thing i do agree on, is his abuse of over the top level of opiates. That will extend your gut and make you immobile. No normal doctor would prescribe so many opiates as to what happened to Elvis. And they are very addictive. So the patient will say: i need more. A good doctor will say no.

To read that after his death there was four months old contents in his bowels, this will give you a chilling picture of the state the man was is, not to mention the pain and the ridicule. Even to this day it is not an easy talked about issue.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:38 pm

JYM wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:

Inconsciously, we are trying to understand why the medias don't praise Elvis like they do with The Beatles. .

There is a simple reason for this. I'm not Beatles fan as such, although I admire their recordings. But The Beatles made very few poor recordings. In eight years there is not one bad album - they are not all masterpieces, but none of them are "bad". In comparison, the percentage of Elvis albums which are not good is extremely high if you take into the account the movie soundtracks and some of the 70s hodgepodge albums - I love the 70s stuff, but 2 albums instead of 3 from a session, leaving the lesser titles in the vault, would have been a better decision artistically on a number of occasions. Add to that TWO declines (the movie years and the last years), it is no small wonder he is not held in such high regard artistically. No-one recorded as much as dross as Elvis and still had a career. The highs are bloody high, the lows are downright awful.

And that is what makes his career so fascinating.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:50 pm

poormadpeter wrote:The highs are bloody high, the lows are downright awful.

+1

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:56 pm

poormadpeter wrote:... it is no small wonder he is not held in such high regard artistically.

Those who do not hold Elvis' greatest achievements, and overall career, as one of the greatest of all time, are simply ignorant. Not too many artists change the world. He was one of them.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:... it is no small wonder he is not held in such high regard artistically.

Those who do not hold Elvis' greatest achievements, and overall career, as one of the greatest of all time, are simply ignorant. Not too many artists change the world. He was one of them.

I got to agree with you on that one doc.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:05 pm

rizzy56 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Those who do not hold Elvis' greatest achievements, and overall career, as one of the greatest of all time, are simply ignorant. Not too many artists change the world. He was one of them.

I got to agree with you on that one doc.

I knew you'd come around!