Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Painful viewing

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:00 pm

There's no audio of See See Rider from Omaha on the LP or the TV show. They used a couple quick video inserts on the TV show but we never hear any of the audio of Omaha See See Rider.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Notice the look of concern and despair on Elvis' face in my avatar as he watches the "Dominic" debacle.
phpBB [video]

This is much more painful to view than anything from 1977. :facep:

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:16 pm

dr borgo wrote:It is my understanding that most of the EIC special was footage taken from Rapid City SD and very little of the June 19th Omaha concert was used. I have watched both shows on YouTube and I think Elvis seemed to be in better spirits during the Omaha show than he did in Rapid City.

:shock: :facep:

Yeah, he was in better "spirits" alright. Sadly, he was like a zombie on June 19th in Omaha.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:36 pm

stevelecher wrote:There's no audio of See See Rider from Omaha on the LP or the TV show. They used a couple quick video inserts on the TV show but we never hear any of the audio of Omaha See See Rider.

Yup.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:40 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:There's no audio of See See Rider from Omaha on the LP or the TV show. They used a couple quick video inserts on the TV show but we never hear any of the audio of Omaha See See Rider.

Yup.

There is the couple of seconds of the Omaha See See Rider on the LP as well to cover up him stopping the song.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:45 pm

Blue River wrote:
dr borgo wrote:It is my understanding that most of the EIC special was footage taken from Rapid City SD and very little of the June 19th Omaha concert was used. I have watched both shows on YouTube and I think Elvis seemed to be in better spirits during the Omaha show than he did in Rapid City.

Yeah, he was in better "spirits" alright. Sadly, he was like a zombie on June 19th in Omaha.

Of the two shows, Elvis seems slightly better in the Omaha footage. Yes he is awful in both shows, but the Omaha show is the lesser of the two evils.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:46 pm

Jokerlola wrote:There is the couple of seconds of the Omaha See See Rider on the LP as well to cover up him stopping the song.

Never heard about that nor is it credited anywhere that I've seen... is it documented anywhere?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:49 pm

Jokerlola wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yup.

There is the couple of seconds of the Omaha See See Rider on the LP as well to cover up him stopping the song.

No, the LP version of "C. C. Rider" simply edits the stop during the June 21 recording in Rapid City.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:57 pm

dr borgo wrote:
Blue River wrote:

Of the two shows, Elvis seems slightly better in the Omaha footage. Yes he is awful in both shows, but the Omaha show is the lesser of the two evils.

Sir, are you sure you're not confusing the two shows with one another?
He acts as though he can barely move in Omaha and his singing is tired & weak with maybe the exception of "How Great Thou Art".

Example - For the inclusion on the original album in 1977 RCA chose only 6 tracks from Omaha, and 19 from Rapid City.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:11 pm

Blue River wrote:Example - For the inclusion on the original album in 1977 RCA chose only 6 tracks from Omaha, and 19 from Rapid City.

Glad you found this post helpful:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63148&start=175#p1116744

However, it should be emphasized that only two brief numbers and one full performance from Omaha were included in the CBS-TV broadcast, and disc 1 of the soundtrack album. The rest were placed on disc 2's collection of "bonus" tracks.

Omaha was not a good night.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:20 pm

Blue River wrote:
dr borgo wrote:
Blue River wrote:

He acts as though he can barely move in Omaha and his singing is tired & weak with maybe the exception of "How Great Thou Art".

Example - For the inclusion on the original album in 1977 RCA chose only 6 tracks from Omaha, and 19 from Rapid City.
It is possible I may be confusing the two. I'll have to take another look.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:48 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yup.

No, the LP version of "C. C. Rider" simply edits the stop during the June 21 recording in Rapid City.

It's the same exact audio of CC Rider on the LP as on the TV Special so it's the, "Well, I'm going, going, going, going away baby" from Omaha.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:Example - For the inclusion on the original album in 1977 RCA chose only 6 tracks from Omaha, and 19 from Rapid City.

Glad you found this post helpful:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63148&start=175#p1116744

However, it should be emphasized that only two from Omaha were included in the CBS-TV broadcast, and disc 1 of the soundtrack album.
The other four were on disc 2's collection of "bonus" tracks.

I didn't use your post as a source at all, and I'm glad.

My source counts three from Omaha on disc 1 of the original soundtrack album.
1. Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel (GPA5-0434)
2. How Great Thou Art (GPA5-0448)
3. Can't Help Falling In Love (GPA5-0444)

My source counts three from Omaha on disc 2 of the original soundtrack album.
1. Fairytale (GPA5-0445)
2. Little Sister (GPA5-0446)
3. And I Love You So (GPA5-0447)

Hope this helps

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:10 am

That is not the case, Steve. Jokerola is correct in his statement below.

Jokerlola wrote:It's the same exact audio of CC Rider on the LP as on the TV Special so it's the, "Well, I'm going, going, going, going away baby" from Omaha.

This is correct. There are indeed a few seconds of Omaha audio here. It's not the best edit in the world and before I ever saw the footage of the stop in Rapid City, I always wondered why it sounded the way that it did in that particular spot. However, the words quoted above in red are certainly from Omaha. If you play just the audio from Omaha, this is clearly obvious.

dr borgo wrote:It is possible I may be confusing the two. I'll have to take another look.

You definitely have the two shows confused.

Rapid City, on June 21st was the better of the two.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:15 am

Rob wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:It's the same exact audio of CC Rider on the LP as on the TV Special so it's the, "Well, I'm going, going, going, going away baby" from Omaha.

This is correct. There are indeed a few seconds of Omaha audio here. It's not the best edit in the world and before I ever saw the footage of the stop in Rapid City, I always wondered why it sounded the way that it did in that particular spot. However, the words quoted above in red are certainly from Omaha. If you play just the audio from Omaha, this is clearly obvious.

Thanks to both Rob for clarifying and to Jokerlola for bringing this information to light... learn something new everyday! :smt023

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:42 am

Blue River wrote:I didn't use your post as a source at all ...

Your loss. The information is not only accurate, it's prettier and doesn't need to use any bolded, italicized or enlarged fonts to get its point across. ;-)

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:I didn't use your post as a source at all, and I'm glad.

The information is not only accurate, it's prettier...

:lol: , :lol:

It looks like dr borgo responded to my post, not yours. Sorry... try harder next time with more colors. :wink:
dr borgo wrote:
Blue River wrote:
dr borgo wrote:
Blue River wrote:

It is possible I may be confusing the two. I'll have to take another look.

:) Happy New Year!

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:22 am

elvis-fan wrote:
Rob wrote:

Thanks to both Rob for clarifying and to Jokerlola for bringing this information to light... learn something new everyday! :smt023

Sorry guys but the audio is still from Rapid City. I've just watched the scene from the Special and from the raw tapes of both concerts. Yes on the special they did insert Omaha video in that "going going going" part but the audio to me is still clearly that from RC, from right after he stops the band. The word "baby" is just a little different in that line but frankly they're awfully close otherwise.

To be fair, I don't think it's "clearly obvious" which show the "going going going" comes from as they're really the same but the line in its totality seems to be from RC, IMO.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:32 am

I appreciate your viewpoint, but I'm not convinced. I'm hearing the line from Omaha, but it really doesn't matter either way. I don't want to watch the footage to check it again.

Call it lack of interest on my part.

Tue May 07, 2013 10:44 pm

Rob wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Sorry guys but the audio is still from Rapid City. I've just watched the scene from the Special and from the raw tapes of both concerts. Yes on the special they did insert Omaha video in that "going going going" part but the audio to me is still clearly that from RC, from right after he stops the band. The word "baby" is just a little different in that line but frankly they're awfully close otherwise.

To be fair, I don't think it's "clearly obvious" which show the "going going going" comes from as they're really the same but the line in its totality seems to be from RC, IMO.

I appreciate your viewpoint, but I'm not convinced. I'm hearing the line from Omaha, but it really doesn't matter either way. I don't want to watch the footage to check it again.

Call it lack of interest on my part.

Given how badly Elvis, management and the producers rated the Omaha show, it seems absurd they would return to the tape to insert a few seconds during post-production. It would make both logical and aesthetic sense that they stuck with what they were working with, the Rapid City tape.

Tue May 07, 2013 11:33 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:@Doc, This looks like a overweight, rapid city elvis to you??

Leave the footage in the vaults. I love our man, but he had so many great moments on film, how about we see those first!

Tue May 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Joe Car wrote:

Leave the footage in the vaults. I love our man, but he had so many great moments on film, how about we see those first!

Yes!

Tue May 07, 2013 11:56 pm

londonflash wrote:
Joe Car wrote:

Yes!

I whole-heartedly disagree. I want all the footage from both shows...from tip to tail. Leave nothing out, including backstage footage, digitally re-mastered from the original master tapes, on Blu-Ray with alternate angles option on the menu. Life is too short. Waiting is not an option for me.

If you enjoy watching trainwrecks & painful viewing, watch the Kardashians's reality show on E!
Last edited by TCB-FAN on Tue May 07, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 07, 2013 11:59 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
londonflash wrote:
Joe Car wrote:

Yes!

I whole-heartedly disagree. I want all the footage from both shows...from tip to tail. Leave nothing out, including backstage footage, digitally re-mastered from the original master tapes, on Blu-Ray. Life is too short. Waiting is not an option for me.

If you enjoy watching trainwrecks & painful viewing, watch the Kardashians's reality show on E!

You special-order June 1977 from Australia, the rest of us will enjoy all the COOL, unissued 1955 to 1975 footage first.

Wed May 08, 2013 12:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:
londonflash wrote:
Joe Car wrote:

Yes!

I whole-heartedly disagree. I want all the footage from both shows...from tip to tail. Leave nothing out, including backstage footage, digitally re-mastered from the original master tapes, on Blu-Ray. Life is too short. Waiting is not an option for me.

You special-order June 1977 from Australia, the rest of us will enjoy all the COOL, unissued 1955 to 1975 footage first.

Send me the link to the seller in Aussie. Is he asking $300 for the footage ?