Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Which That's The Way It Is?

Mon May 05, 2003 8:09 am

Which is the best "That's The Way It Is?" One of these two, or is there a bootleg version that's superior? For viewing in US. :)

Mon May 05, 2003 8:15 am

i think both is the same
i dont now any boots out there.

curtis simpkins

Mon May 05, 2003 6:06 pm

Both of those DVD’s look like versions of the TTWII SE in slightly different packaging. There was an official DVD release of the original print of the film, (pictured) and whilst the sound and picture quality were acceptable on this version, it certainly wasn’t up to the standard of the special edition. Completists need to buy both films, but if I had to choose one, I would definitely take the special edition. It’s a much better film than the 1970 original, and concentrates solely on Elvis, rather than Elvis fans and their cats, or impersonators singing “Tiger Man”.

I think there was a bootleg video release that complied all the available footage from the two movies, “The Lost Performances”, the extra tracks that were aired on television before the movie was issued, and the out takes that were posted on the Turner MGM website. I haven’t seen it though, so I don’t know what the quality or the editing is like.

Mon May 05, 2003 7:37 pm

Hi rockinrebel, I see people bidding quite a bit more money on the DVD you show. I'm happy to know the cheaper and more available one is the one WITHOUT the cats and "tribute artists". Thanks!

Mon May 05, 2003 7:42 pm

Yeah, the original film is getting harder and harder to find. Too bad as I think it is (in some ways) superior to the SE.

Tom

P.S. Love The Smith's by the way.

Mon May 05, 2003 8:07 pm

There will always be a demand for the original version of the film because it includes Elvis footage that wasn’t used in the special edition, and isn’t available elsewhere. This problem could have been avoided had Turner/MGM not decided to scrap the idea of including extra footage on the DVD version of the TTWII SE. Unfortunately, the words “extra footage” are rarely mentioned when talking about Elvis DVD’s.

TTWII

Mon May 05, 2003 10:21 pm

will never be complete, before all footage and performances that were in the original and on THE LOST PERFORMANCES are collected togheter on another SE edition. Then, hopefully we will have the COMPLETE TTWII SE release! It's beyond me, that they failed to make the SE complete will all the wonderful concert performances there were to be used!
No wonder TTWII SE failed! Still, I love the SE, even though I miss much!

Mon May 05, 2003 10:43 pm

There is a very strange DVD coming out of Maylaysia and it has both the "Aloha & Original TTWII" shows, I was luckey enough to find a copy of this and I really like it!
JEFF d
EPFAN

TTWII

Mon May 05, 2003 11:10 pm

JEFF d wrote:There is a very strange DVD coming out of Maylaysia and it has both the "Aloha & Original TTWII" shows, I was luckey enough to find a copy of this and I really like it!
JEFF d
EPFAN

I got a copy through Essential Elvis but the damn thing wouldn't play on my DVD player. I sent it back but the replacement (which had the same marks as the original faulty disc) wouldn't play either! It just said "bad disc" on the display. Needless to say, I am extremely frustrated!

Mon May 05, 2003 11:45 pm

heatherbarclay -

I got it as well !

It's 'all region' which is fine - but also NTSC !

For me, this means it plays back - but in b & w !!

I have hung onto my copy as I think when I next upgrade my TV &/or DVD player, the problem will resolve itself [I live in hope, anyway].

Colin B

Tue May 06, 2003 7:08 am

Colin,

Do you use a scart lead? if you don't.then that could be your problem.

If its not the scart,then it's most probably your TV is not NTSC compatible,as I believe most DVD players are PAL/NTSC.

Tue May 06, 2003 2:06 pm

I have both copies of TTWII that you talk about. Only difference is encoding and format.

I am from Australia so I require region 4 and PAL. I bought the one pitured bottom of the screen first region 1 NTSC. The reason: it was the first one to be released, top pictured DVD was not released here for a couple of months after the NTSC disc.

Pal encoding is better than NTSC. Packaging on the NTSC is much better.

Tue May 06, 2003 3:10 pm

Dan -

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, I think it's my TV which is the weak link.

BTW - still can't see your pic !

Colin B

Tue May 06, 2003 3:14 pm

You can't see my pic'?

Tue May 06, 2003 3:19 pm

Dan -

Nope.

Just a little white box with a red cross in it.

Colin B

Tue May 06, 2003 3:25 pm

That's strange,I've got an Aloha Gif there at the moment and I can see it!

perhaps it's too big?

Tue May 06, 2003 3:28 pm

Does anyone else see Dan's aloha GIF ?

Colin B

Tue May 06, 2003 3:34 pm

I can't see it. But I'll bet it's fantastic! :roll:

Tue May 06, 2003 3:38 pm

I got a PM last night from Francesc,that I didn't quite understand,he said he couldn't see it either,and asked if I could change the URL of the pic'.

I understand what he meant now,it looks like I'm the only bugger that can see it!

I don't know what I can do about this,

Thanks Colin for mentioning it.

Tue May 06, 2003 8:04 pm

Dan_T, you can see it because it's on your hard drive from when you either created it or saved it on your computer to upload it as an avatar. But it's actually not there for anyone else. I wish I knew how to make gif's!