Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Love Me

Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:14 pm

Was just reading Robert Plant's interview regarding him meeting Elvis in the 70's and specifically noticed the part where he mentions him and Elvis singing Love Me back and forth. I had never actually checked the song out before, even though I've seen it on my playlist in the 50's masters, I had never bothered to listen to it, it's awesome! Especially the harmony bit right at the end :smt007

Re: Love Me

Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:27 pm

"To be honest, when we first wrote Love Me we were thinking of it as sort of a takeoff, a Homer & Jethro type of thing. It's got all these masochistic lyrics. [recites lyrics] 'Treat me like a fool, treat me mean and cruel but love me'. It could have been a joke, but Elvis' performance makes it genuinely touching."

- Mike Stoller, excerpt from an "Elvis Australia" interview.

Elvis really made a classic out of this simple song... I've always loved it and I still do:
phpBB [video]

Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:55 pm

ECC83 wrote:I had never actually checked the song out before ...

That is a rather astounding admission. Besides the 1956 master recording of "Love Me" there are many live renditions released officially by RCA and scores more unofficially.

And yet, you are coming to this number in 2011?

Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:02 pm

Well I have only heard approximately 40% of Elvis' total songs so far I think, so there's a fair few I still haven't heard.

Thanks for the clip, will check it out now!

Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:04 pm

ECC83 wrote:Well I have only heard approximately 40% of Elvis' total songs so far I think, so there's a fair few I still haven't heard.

"Love Me" is one of the most significant songs in his catalog. It's on scores of LPs, CDs and DVDs. It takes quite an effort to "miss" it. How did you manage?

Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:10 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ECC83 wrote:Well I have only heard approximately 40% of Elvis' total songs so far I think, so there's a fair few I still haven't heard.

"Love Me" is one of the most significant songs in his catalog. It's on scores of LPs, CDs and DVDs. It takes quite an effort to "miss" it. How did you manage?

Because I don't listen to all the songs on a CD/DVD or LP. It can be months before I actually end up listening to a CD in its entirety, it is for that reason I missed Treat Me Nice from the red DVD for about a year lol, because I always skipped it. I still haven't finished watching the Aloha concert, but I have finished watching the red DVD, including the interviews, and nearly finished From Elvis in Memphis 8)

I know...it's a strange method of listening and discovering, but that way I don't end up listening to his entire catalog in a week (which I could easily do), getting bored, and not fully absorbing some songs.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:29 pm

A friend of mine was listening to MSG afternoon concert yesterday and he told me he liked "Love Me" a lot. And he has not listened to the 1956 master yet.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:49 pm

Not to mention Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller who wrote the song says Elvis' version is the best they've ever heard by any artist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Me_(L ... oller_song)

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:48 pm

It was my favourite Elvis song when I was a young lad growing up. The vocal on the Master is just classic Elvis. I always used to sit at home and try and sing along; replicate those trademark vocal nuances.

I can't believe you've only just become aware of this song; if you've only just found out about this number, I dread to think what other gems you've been missing out on. I would suggest you purchase the "75 - Good Rockin' Tonight" Boxset that SONY released last year (http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-75-Good-Roc ... B002QVBP6O). It is the ideal release for an overview of his work and all his best songs. Save for a few odd inclusions/disculusions, it is about as good a release as you will find and should ensure you get to hear all the most important Presley songs. The sound quality too is the best ever.

"Treat me like a fool....."

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:07 pm

For an artist like Elvis with an enormous catalog, I really quite enjoy the thrill of slowly discovering songs over time, actually it's the only such artist for me. It's an awesome experience to have a great 'new' song to listen to for a few weeks over and over, then I'll go back to the rest and await a 'new' one to turn up, and it always does.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Ever heard´╗┐ the expression "sings from the heart"?

This is what it means...

phpBB [video]

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:27 am

ECC83 wrote:For an artist like Elvis with an enormous catalog, I really quite enjoy the thrill of slowly discovering songs over time ...

Have you discovered these yet?

Heartbreak Hotel
Blue Suede Shoes
Hound Dog
Don't Be Cruel
It's Now Or Never

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:04 am

This is,beyond doubt,one of the most riveting Elvis vocals ever.
What makes it even more astounding,this was a cover of a "L&S" parody",no surprise they claimed it was the best version ever!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:30 am

jbnva58 wrote:This is,beyond doubt,one of the most riveting Elvis vocals ever.
What makes it even more astounding,this was a cover of a "L&S" parody",no surprise they claimed it was the best version ever!

Not so astounding, actually.

Elvis was covering his then-Hayride pal's ultra-sincere 1955 RCA single B-side arrangement:

Jimmie Rodgers Snow and his Tennessee Playboys, "Love Me" (RCA 20/47-5986, January 1955)
Listen to it --> HERE

One wonders what Snow felt when he saw Elvis sing "Love Me" on the Ed Sullivan program a year later.

Or what he thought when he heard both "Love Me" and "How Do You Think I Feel?" on Elvis' second RCA LP that same month.

phpBB [video]

Jimmie Rodgers Snow and his Tennessee Playboys, "How Do You Think I Feel?" (RCA 20/47-5900, November 1954)

Billboard - January 29, 1955

Elvis was a crafty lil' devil!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Obviously spending too much sheep time

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:51 am

Man I am not calling you a liar but it is very tempting to call BS on this. Why would anyone be a relatively regular poster on an artist's message board without ever having heard one of his greatest and most well known works...a song that appears on almost every hits comp, love comp, and damn near every live concert from the 70s. What exactly have you been listening to, exactly?

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:03 am

Love Me would be a very difficult track to miss. One would have to go out of their way not to hear it if they had access to even a basic Elvis Presley collection of music releases.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:33 am

Check out these LP's...

Release Date: 10/19/1956
Side 1
Rip It Up
Love Me
When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again
Long Tall Sally
First In Line
Paralyzed

Side 2
So Glad, You're Mine
Old Shep
Ready Teddy
Anyplace Is Paradise
How's The World Treating You
How Do You Think I Feel

Release Date: 3/21/1958
pics, release dates and tracking listings... http://www.elvisrecords.us/

Side 1
Hound Dog
Loving You
All Shook Up
Heartbreak Hotel
Jailhouse Rock
Love Me
Too Much

Side 2
Don't Be Cruel
That's When Your Heartaches Begin
(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
Love Me Tender
Treat Me Nice
Anyway You Want Me(That's How I Will Be)
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:28 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ECC83 wrote:I had never actually checked the song out before ...

That is a rather astounding admission. Besides the 1956 master recording of "Love Me" there are many live renditions released officially by RCA and scores more unofficially.

And yet, you are coming to this number in 2011?

Yeah, that admission jumped off of my computer monitor, too. Glad to see you're on board, but...really?

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:45 pm

Along with a few other "less mainstream" ballads, like "Playing For Keeps", "Soldier Boy", "Fame And Fortune", "Love Me" has always been one of my all-time faves.

From the opening of " ..... treat me like a fool, treat me mean and cruel, buuuuuuut LOVE ME ! "

to the bridge " I would beg and steal, juuuuuuust to feel, yooooooouuuur heart, beating close to mine !"

to the ending " Beggin' on my knees, all I ask is pleeeeeeaaaase, pleeeeeeaaase LOVE ME, oh YEAH ! "

this one's a sure fire winner. Even Leiber & Stoller couldn't believe that he took their "little joke" and made it in to this sincere doo-wop styled ballad.

He was in fabulous voice during that song / session, wow, goose-bump material !

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:59 am

ECC83 wrote:...... I had never actually checked the song out before...... I had never bothered to listen to it ....

:? Uhhhhhhh, yeah.... have you ever heard the one called "Heartbreak Hotel"?

:? What about, uhhhh.... "Jailhouse Rock" or "It's Now Or Never"?

You're in for a treat when you finally hear "Ito Eats" and "There's No Room To Rhumba In A Sports Car"!

Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:04 am

Not too many Jimmie Rodgers Snow and his Tennessee Playboys fans on this forum.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:07 am

ECC83,
Have you experienced the joy of "Love Me, Love The Life I Lead", yet?

Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ECC83 wrote:For an artist like Elvis with an enormous catalog, I really quite enjoy the thrill of slowly discovering songs over time ...

Have you discovered these yet?

Heartbreak Hotel
Blue Suede Shoes
Hound Dog
Don't Be Cruel
It's Now Or Never

:roll:

Just remember, whilst that a lot of these songs to some of you may seem like it's extremely popular and well known. This is 2011, and I'm 23. When I was growing up we didn't rush home to listen to the new Elvis record, nor did we hear anything on the radio.

Blue Suede Shoes, Hound Dog, and Don't Be Cruel are far more well known than Love Me, if there was a list of most well-known Elvis songs today, Love Me is definitely not going to turn up on it, regardless of how popular it was back in the 50's.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:25 am

Glad you can appreciate a little humour.

How did you like my ample post about the influence of Snow's "Love Me"? Did you give his RCA recording a listen?