Mon May 05, 2003 7:36 am

6 takes - master being take 6

I think their are three out now:

take 2 - TTF
take 5 - Platinum
take 6 - Promised Land

Mon May 05, 2003 7:41 am

Thanks Elvis Fan

This is one Of My Favorite Songs Of Elvis in The 70s.

How Many Live Version We Have.

Curtis Simpkins

Mon May 05, 2003 7:46 am

The only live version I've heard that comes close to the studio version is from Las Vegas March 22, 1975 MS.
Most of the live versions I've heard from 1974 performances don't sound all that good (ie. August 19, 1974)

I'd take the studio version over any live version for this song.
It rocks!
The live versions just don't seem to do the song justice.

Mon May 05, 2003 7:48 am

Same Here
I Love Studio Over Live Anyday. Myself

Curtis Simpkins

Mon May 05, 2003 7:54 am

Well 3 more takes is certainly something to look forward to! Love "Promised Land". Definately one of those songs that gets me smilin'; a good song to start the day with. Is the only official live version on the "Live In Las Vegas" box?

I remember totally tripping out when I saw "Men In Black" for the first time when Tommy Lee Jones puts a "Promised Land" 8-track into his car and they fly upside down through that tunnel while listening to it!

Mon May 05, 2003 7:58 am

i to love the song i like it
a lot better then t-r-o-u-b-l-e

curtis simpkins

love to see promised land into a remix like allc

Mon May 05, 2003 9:39 am

Don't forget...

Rhythm & Country has take 4, so total...

take 2 - TTF
take 4 - Essential 5: R&C
take 5 - Platinum
take 6 - Promised Land

We won't know until they put them out, but takes 1 and 3 may well be false starts.

I'll be cool to know, and eventually we will!

Mon May 05, 2003 3:47 pm

Right Mike!

Thanks for catching that!

Mon May 05, 2003 7:04 pm

there are no more outtakes of Promised land,only incomplete/false starts.
Shame that the early takes of this great song are so damn short........

Mon May 05, 2003 7:11 pm

elvis-fan wrote:6 takes - master being take 6

I think their are three out now:

take 2 - TTF
take 5 - Platinum
take 6 - Promised Land

There was also an alternate take that was released on the "Rhythm and Country" CD. I forgot which take it was.

Tom (from Ohio)

Mon May 05, 2003 7:16 pm

Curtis@Norway,

I don't mean to offend, I'm just wondering how you know this?

Thanks a bunch!

Mon May 05, 2003 7:20 pm

elvis-fan wrote:The only live version I've heard that comes close to the studio version is from Las Vegas March 22, 1975 MS.
Most of the live versions I've heard from 1974 performances don't sound all that good (ie. August 19, 1974)

I'd take the studio version over any live version for this song.
It rocks!
The live versions just don't seem to do the song justice.

Probably the best live version elvis did is the one from Gyrating Ashville, July 23rd 1975. This is also the very last live version of this song. It´s faster paced than the other live versions and it really rocks imo.

regards,
Stefan

Mon May 05, 2003 7:32 pm

Has anyone ever made their own bootleg, ie compile all takes of a song in a row, making a disc? Like all your versions of "Promised Land", then all your takes of "Burning Love", etc? Seems like it would be fun.

Mon May 05, 2003 7:36 pm

I've compiled all the sessions from the 70s almost all together, only thing I'm still messing with are the 76 masters, as there's a big problem with sources, and a ton of options.

The 73 sessions are really fun to listen to, and it's amazing how much of them we have.... can't wait to look at the percentage go up big time when FTD releases a Stax CD.

Mon May 05, 2003 8:41 pm

To MikeMcCoy:

Ernst Jorgensen told this3-4 years ago in "Man and his music" magazine.
There was a "The fact" article where someone asked about promised land and unreleased takes.

Mon May 05, 2003 8:43 pm

Thanks, Curtis, I appreciate that! :)

Mon May 05, 2003 11:59 pm

Hi Mike -

'Promised Land' is sure one the best rockers from the 70's !

'The Facts' pages from 'The Man His Music' magazine [as mentioned by Curtis@Norway] were a great source of interesting, factual info.

Someone should round them all up [with the 'Ask Ernst' stuff] & publish them in one go.

Perhaps they would make a good appendix if Ernst ever updates his book !

He could 'expand' or 'correct' the items as necessary where further details have come to light since his original replies.

I know there are lots of fans out there [like me & you] who thrive on these 'details' !

Colin B