Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:Like Elvis said, they were giving her music which was a little too "popular" which was more in the vien of Julie London, and again as Elvis pointed out they should have given her stuff more like
the material Connie Francis was putting out.

What Elvis actually said, on the May 1958 Eddie Fadal home recording, is that he was afraid that her record company would give her torchy ballads a la Julie London.

But, as heard in my original post, her first single A-side in October 1958 was a very Connie Francis-like cover of "Crying In The Chapel." Her June 1961 Sun single was also very catchy pop, and both sides are included in that same post. Her music wasn't boring, it was actually in line with what was popular, and she delivered the material with panache.

I know what Elvis actually said and I stated it as ELvis stated it.
Yes, in 1961 perhaps Anita's singles were catchy pop songs, but in 1958 Elvis had NO way
of knowing that in advance did he? Elvis was stating what he thought might happen, ala the Julie London type material.

In the future don't try to correct me, unless I state a falsehood. That would help alot.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:49 am

ekenee wrote:I know what Elvis actually said and I stated it as ELvis stated it.

You did not. It's not even a matter of debate, anyone who has heard the tape may see what you wrote was incorrect. Anita had yet to record and release anything in May 1958.

You were also wrong about the type of singles Anita released, which of course also rendered your conclusion about their relative lack of success as way off the mark.

Thanks for stopping by.

::rocks

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:I know what Elvis actually said and I stated it as ELvis stated it.

You did not. It's not even a matter of debate, anyone who has heard the tape may see what you wrote was incorrect. Anita had yet to record and release anything in May 1958.

You were also wrong about the type of singles Anita released, which of course also rendered your conclusion about their relative lack of success as way off the mark.

Thanks for stopping by.

::rocks

I will correct my typo.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:Like Elvis said, they were giving her music which was a little too "popular" which was more in the vien of Julie London, and again as Elvis pointed out they should have given her stuff more like
the material Connie Francis was putting out.

What Elvis actually said, on the May 1958 Eddie Fadal home recording, is that he was afraid that her record company would give her torchy ballads a la Julie London.

But, as heard in my original post, her first single A-side in October 1958 was a very Connie Francis-like cover of "Crying In The Chapel." Her June 1961 Sun single was also very catchy pop, and both sides are included in that same post. Her music wasn't boring, it was actually in line with what was popular, and she delivered the material with panache.
I don't think I have ever heard the recording, where can I listen to it? Is it on Youtube?

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Yes *crackle crackle*

http://youtu.be/sdOnEXv2rIE

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:16 pm

Elvisfan10 wrote: I don't think I have ever heard the recording, where can I listen to it? Is it on Youtube?

It is found on page 1 of this topic, in the post I created.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:41 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvisfan10 wrote: I don't think I have ever heard the recording, where can I listen to it? Is it on Youtube?

It is found on page 1 of this topic, in the post I created.
I should've been more specific, I meant where Elvis spoke about Anita and his concern over the material she was given to sing.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:48 am

Great job again Doc.
PEP 8)

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:00 am

PEP wrote:Great job again Doc.

Thanks a lot; it went from a notion, to a brief link or two to a detailed labour of love.

Anita Wood had everything: looks, talent, poise, and a great voice. She should have been a star.

Again, I hope she's doing well in the aftermath of losing her husband just a few weeks ago.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:45 pm

Hey Doc, that handwritten letter you mentioned in the first post is up for auction at the end of this month:
http://entertainment.ha.com/c/item.zx?s ... IdNo=23003

Out of my price range!

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:59 pm

Excellent thread about Anita Wood! Thanks for sharing facts and pics. I think like many here that Elvis probably decided Anita was NOT the perfect match for him, as she was a) very career-oriented b) also was keen on seeing other men now and then. It doesn´t seem fair of course, but that´s how Elvis was thinking. Apart from that Elvis was too busy with his career as well, and wasn´t really interested in comitting to ONE single woman back in the early 60s... But look-wise they were a perfect match - a gorgeous couple.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Pichte wrote:Excellent thread about Anita Wood! Thanks for sharing facts and pics. I think like many here that Elvis probably decided Anita was NOT the perfect match for him, as she was a) very career-oriented b) also was keen on seeing other men now and then. It doesn´t seem fair of course, but that´s how Elvis was thinking. Apart from that Elvis was too busy with his career as well, and wasn´t really interested in committing to ONE single woman back in the early 60s... But look-wise they were a perfect match - a gorgeous couple.

Thanks for the kind words.

Actually, Anita proved to Elvis in September 1957 she was not "very career-oriented" when she did not take the role she won in that Hollywood Talent Contest for the 1958 Tom Gries film "Girl in the Woods."

"Girl in the Woods" (AB-PT Pictures, June 1958)

As may be seen, Diana Francis got the part when Anita dropped out.

And if Anita was keen on dating others, that was kept under wraps. Elvis was understood to have that luxury, not his #1 girlfriend.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Pichte wrote:Excellent thread about Anita Wood! Thanks for sharing facts and pics. I think like many here that Elvis probably decided Anita was NOT the perfect match for him, as she was a) very career-oriented b) also was keen on seeing other men now and then. It doesn´t seem fair of course, but that´s how Elvis was thinking. Apart from that Elvis was too busy with his career as well, and wasn´t really interested in committing to ONE single woman back in the early 60s... But look-wise they were a perfect match - a gorgeous couple.

Thanks for the kind words.

Actually, Anita proved to Elvis in September 1957 she was not "very career-oriented" when she did not take the role she won in that Hollywood Talent Contest for the 1958 Tom Gries film "Girl in the Woods."

"Girl in the Woods" (AB-PT Pictures, June 1958)

As may be seen, Diana Francis got the part when Anita dropped out.

And if Anita was keen on dating others, that was kept under wraps. Elvis was understood to have that luxury, not his #1 girlfriend.
I wonder if she felt restricted because he always wanted her to stop whatever she was doing for him.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:13 am

TJ wrote:Hey Doc, that handwritten letter you mentioned in the first post is up for auction at the end of this month:

http://entertainment.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7038&lotIdNo=23003

Out of my price range!

$30,000 is a tad more than I can afford, too.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:24 am

It's a GREAT job you did here, Doc, thank you very much for all the articles and research. :smt006

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:57 am

Doc, nice thread. Thanks for doing it.

I know I looked at it months ago, but spent more time on it today. Anita is one of a number of women who gave more than they got from Elvis. It looks like she was terrific and Elvis loved her but he could not stop pursuing other women. Someone here commented that maybe Elvis wanted a more traditional wife, not career oriented, who would be a traditional housewife devoted to her husband. I'm sure he found women like this but it did not matter. He would not limit himself to anyone.

He did not choose to marry Priscilla. It appears she persevered long enough to have commitments made by Elvis enforced. The marriage wasn't much more than a publicity event forced on Elvis by Colonel Parker and Priscilla's stepdad. I'm sure it was a very happy day for her but I bet it didn't take long for her to realize nothing changed. How maddening.

It seems to me he met a number of beautiful women who truly loved him and tried, for as long as they could, to be what he wanted them to be. Then, as someone else here pointed out, they would leave him because they couldn't continue to be part of the destructive lifestyle he refused to quit. He probably had a dozen women ( I'm limiting this to the really special ones, like Anita) that would have been the love of any normal man's life. How sad for him that he couldn't stop looking at the grass on the other side of the pasture.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:57 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Super fantastic, very well researched I have learned a lot reading this topic 8). I have always liked this super hot girl she was so beautiful :smt007. Thank you Doc. Bye for now :smt006.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:12 am

Great job Doc!

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:46 am

Thanks for posting it!

Poor Anita- she made more than clear that she was waiting for Elivs to pop the question, and put her own life on hold just to be "ready" whenever Elvis called.
Must have been tough, sticking around all this years and in the end someone else gets the fish :smt028

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Thank you for posting this about my mother. You did a great job! I have written a book from Momma's memories called Once Upon a Time, Elvis and Anita, Memories of My Mother, Anita Wood Brewer. I'm in the final stages of preparing the book and would love to get in touch with you. I've set up a website, http://www.elvisandanita.com, if you would like to take a look.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:36 pm

I met Anita and husband lovely warm people

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:37 pm

jbarrett6 wrote:Thank you for posting this about my mother. You did a great job! I have written a book from Momma's memories called Once Upon a Time, Elvis and Anita, Memories of My Mother, Anita Wood Brewer. I'm in the final stages of preparing the book and would love to get in touch with you. I've set up a website, http://www.elvisandanita.com, if you would like to take a look.
the wonders of the internet: anita wood´s daughter is posting on "our" community!
feel very welcome, jonnita!
i hope, your mother is doing well. there are many here, who will be very interested in your upcoming book.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:47 am

jbarrett6 wrote:Thank you for posting this about my mother. You did a great job! I have written a book from Momma's memories called Once Upon a Time, Elvis and Anita, Memories of My Mother, Anita Wood Brewer. I'm in the final stages of preparing the book and would love to get in touch with you. I've set up a website, http://www.elvisandanita.com, if you would like to take a look.

I was hoping someone from the family might see my effort. If you think it's OK, please share with your mom as well.

Thank you for the very kind words. The topic began when I found that wonderful 1958 publicity photo of your mom, and I realized there was a very good story there. Thanks to some digging, I found a lot about her own professional work, and learned she was quite a talent. That she was a class act as well is icing on the cake. I hope everyone is your family is doing well.

I have sent a PM your way.

Oh, yes, the site looks great so far, and the book you're creating holds great promise.

John

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:58 am

Excellent as always John, many thanks

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:39 pm

But yes, Elvis was not going to leave her. He rarely "left" anyone. He would just keep 'em dangling for as long
as they stuck around. Each one had to finally make the choice and leave ELvis.

Completely agree with you.

Elvis did not need to leave his women- eventually any woman would have given up.
That was even the case with Linda (Interview with Larry King)!

Priscilla was simply the one with the most patience and she knew that there was only one way to get what she wanted.
and that was waiting and being what he wanted her to be.

I am not saying that Elvis didnt love her, but she was lucky that she was around when it was time for him to think about marriage and kids.
Who would know?
Elvis probably would have married Anita if she would have stayed.