Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator1, Moderator2

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby TheMaskedClown » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:51 am

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:I don't she was the "one that got away" but more like, the one he let go.

This is incorrect. Anita left Elvis almost on the spot when she overheard him discussing his concern about choosing between Anita and his German paramour. She made the choice for him. She left, and did not return. Anita had pride, and she used it.

I hope you enjoyed the entire topic, as hundreds already have.


I understand that, but my point was Elvis didn't care. She left, but he let her go.

At that time he was dating alot of woman.

He leaves for Germany and Anita is supposed to be his "love".

But he dated some German women.

He meets Priscilla. Anita finds out about it.

Anita didn't stop her life because I think she knew Elvis was not that into her.

Then when Elvis gets back to Hollywood he starts dating starlets like Nancy Sharp, etc.

But the pics of Anita with dyed black hair(1961?) with Elvis are sometime after the first leaving IIRC.

But yes, Elvis was not going to leave her. He rarely "left" anyone. He would just keep 'em dangling for as long
as they stuck around. Each one had to finally make the choice and leave ELvis.

That's what i meant when I said he let her go. He didn't try to stop her and fight it. She left, and he dated who ever was next in line.

Besides how could he really demand Anita not date, while he was in Hollywood for 6 months out of the year, do what ever he wanted.


Ekenee I see where your coming from. Im wondering if its about how he feels for Anita or Priscilla and not the other girls he was dating.
TheMaskedClown
Offline
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:37 am
Location: Downunder
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby drjohncarpenter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:04 am

UPDATE:

I have finished reading Jonnita's biography, and will post some comments on the FECC topic about her wonderful book ASAP.

Once Upon A Time: Elvis and Anita
http://elvisandanita.com/

Once Upon A Time: Elvis and Anita --> Out Now!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71605
.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
User avatar
drjohncarpenter
Offline
 
Topic author
Posts: 65961
Age: 79
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:04 am
Location: Cali
Has thanked: 556 times
Been thanked: 2659 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby Wibi08 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:10 pm

I also believe that Elvis could have gone after her and try to convince her coming back.
She probably hoped for it..
After all these years waiting for him, I bet it was heart breaking for her!
Tender Loving Care
User avatar
Wibi08
Offline
 
Posts: 235
Age: 34
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: London, UK
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby karlos » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Wibi08 wrote:I also believe that Elvis could have gone after her and try to convince her coming back.
She probably hoped for it..
After all these years waiting for him, I bet it was heart breaking for her!



I totally agree with you Wibi 08 -

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
karlos
Offline
 
Posts: 2467
Age: 50
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:56 pm
Location: OVER THE RIVER
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby drjohncarpenter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:57 pm

karlos wrote:
Wibi08 wrote:I also believe that Elvis could have gone after her and try to convince her coming back.
She probably hoped for it..
After all these years waiting for him, I bet it was heart breaking for her!



I totally agree with you Wibi 08 -

Image


Anita didn't wait long after leaving Elvis in August 1962. Less than 2 years later she was married.

By the way, karlos, that is NOT Anita in the posted photo from December 1956. It's Las Vegas dancer Dottie Harmony. In addition, Elvis did not even meet Anita Wood until July 1957.
.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
User avatar
drjohncarpenter
Offline
 
Topic author
Posts: 65961
Age: 79
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:04 am
Location: Cali
Has thanked: 556 times
Been thanked: 2659 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:42 pm

This is a really beautiful thread. And the fact that Anita’s daughter contributed to it is the icing on the cake.

Thanks for sharing the big research involved in the initial post, Doc.

I would like to add a couple of pictures to the already stunning selection of images we have here.

One shows Anita in front of a jukebox. I don’t know the date for this picture, but I’m sure somebody here will tell us which machine is it, and when it was made.

Anita Wood.jpg


Also, I’ve found on the net an alternate of the Eddie Fadal shot included in the first post. Unfortunately, its size is very small.

anitawood_elvispresley.jpg


Regarding “Two Young Fools In Love”, Barbara Pittman cut it for Sam Phillips and it was released as one of the sides of her second single for him (her first on the Philips International subsidiary) :

http://rcs-discography.com/rcs/artist.php?key=pitt1000

The beautiful demo version by Barbara mentioned in the first post was first released in 1997. Also, another originally unreleased version by another Sun artist, Jeanne Newman, has been released not too long ago. All three recordings are available in CD 6 of this superb Bear Family box set, and all can be heard on YouTube, too :

http://www.bear-family.com/en/rock-n-roll/label-r-r/va-memphis-belles-6-cd-box-120-page-book.html

Finally, let me share a newspaper clipping from mid 1958 :

580601.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Mister Moon
Offline
 
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:55 pm
Has thanked: 682 times
Been thanked: 727 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby Epkp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:10 am

Such a lovely woman inside and out.
Epkp
Offline
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:03 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby drjohncarpenter » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:04 am

Mister Moon wrote:This is a really beautiful thread. And the fact that Anita’s daughter contributed to it is the icing on the cake.

Thanks for sharing the big research involved in the initial post, Doc.

I would like to add a couple of pictures to the already stunning selection of images we have here.

One shows Anita in front of a jukebox. I don’t know the date for this picture, but I’m sure somebody here will tell us which machine is it, and when it was made.

Image

Also, I’ve found on the net an alternate of the Eddie Fadal shot included in the first post. Unfortunately, its size is very small.

Image

Regarding “Two Young Fools In Love”, Barbara Pittman cut it for Sam Phillips and it was released as one of the sides of her second single for him (her first on the Philips International subsidiary) :

http://rcs-discography.com/rcs/artist.php?key=pitt1000

The beautiful demo version by Barbara mentioned in the first post was first released in 1997. Also, another originally unreleased version by another Sun artist, Jeanne Newman, has been released not too long ago. All three recordings are available in CD 6 of this superb Bear Family box set, and all can be heard on YouTube, too :

http://www.bear-family.com/en/rock-n-roll/label-r-r/va-memphis-belles-6-cd-box-120-page-book.html

Finally, let me share a newspaper clipping from mid 1958 :

Image


Thanks for the kind words and extras. The first photo is from when Anita was co-hosting "Dance Party" in Memphis, if not earlier. And the irony of the June 1958 news report is that Anita did not get on that plane to return to Memphis and be with her boyfriend, but to head to New York and a previously-scheduled recording session for Capitol, as noted on page 1.

If you don't have the biography written by her daughter, it is well worth picking up. Anita saw a lot between 1957 and 1962.
.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
User avatar
drjohncarpenter
Offline
 
Topic author
Posts: 65961
Age: 79
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:04 am
Location: Cali
Has thanked: 556 times
Been thanked: 2659 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby jurasic1968 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:37 am

Wonderful pictures and article. Thank you very much, Mister Moon and Doc.
User avatar
jurasic1968
Offline
 
Posts: 2309
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:31 pm
Has thanked: 1053 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:31 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Wonderful pictures and article. Thank you very much, Mister Moon and Doc.


You're very welcome, but I just added a few items to a huge thread that was started two years, and over 100 posts, ago !

Thanks, anyway.
User avatar
Mister Moon
Offline
 
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:55 pm
Has thanked: 682 times
Been thanked: 727 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby yaso » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:32 pm

I Love Anita, such classy lady..
yaso
Offline
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:45 am
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby davide » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:56 am

Mister Moon wrote:This is a really beautiful thread. And the fact that Anita’s daughter contributed to it is the icing on the cake.

Thanks for sharing the big research involved in the initial post, Doc.

I would like to add a couple of pictures to the already stunning selection of images we have here.

One shows Anita in front of a jukebox. I don’t know the date for this picture, but I’m sure somebody here will tell us which machine is it, and when it was made.

Anita Wood.jpg


Also, I’ve found on the net an alternate of the Eddie Fadal shot included in the first post. Unfortunately, its size is very small.

anitawood_elvispresley.jpg


Regarding “Two Young Fools In Love”, Barbara Pittman cut it for Sam Phillips and it was released as one of the sides of her second single for him (her first on the Philips International subsidiary) :

http://rcs-discography.com/rcs/artist.php?key=pitt1000

The beautiful demo version by Barbara mentioned in the first post was first released in 1997. Also, another originally unreleased version by another Sun artist, Jeanne Newman, has been released not too long ago. All three recordings are available in CD 6 of this superb Bear Family box set, and all can be heard on YouTube, too :

http://www.bear-family.com/en/rock-n-roll/label-r-r/va-memphis-belles-6-cd-box-120-page-book.html

Finally, let me share a newspaper clipping from mid 1958 :

580601.JPG


Very interesting topic, thanks to all who have posted.
Here is the complete article - which was also previously posted in my topic here, viewtopic.php?f=71&t=78102&p=1193360#p1193360. The links have been broken for some time. I have now repaired, them and have some additional newspaper clippings.


Image

Image

Image
Apologies for the quality for the clipping above.

With thanks
David
User avatar
davide
Offline
 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 10:56 pm
Location: Brighton,Sussex,UK
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:09 pm

davide wrote:Here is the complete article


I have re-checked the entire page (36) of the "Reading Eagle" where this piece was published, in order to see if I had inadvertently left out a part of the article, but it was definitely presented in incomplete form. It seems like they too the UPI report and cut it where they needed in order to adapt the layout of the page ! Sloppy !

Thanks for your post, David.
User avatar
Mister Moon
Offline
 
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:55 pm
Has thanked: 682 times
Been thanked: 727 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby drjohncarpenter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:53 am

Mister Moon wrote:I have re-checked the entire page (36) of the "Reading Eagle" where this piece was published, in order to see if I had inadvertently left out a part of the article, but it was definitely presented in incomplete form. It seems like they too the UPI report and cut it where they needed in order to adapt the layout of the page ! Sloppy !


Actually, it is not being sloppy. You'll find that newspapers, then as now, edit stories from UPI or AP as they see fit. You sometimes have to review 3 or 4 different publications to find all the writing that makes up an article.
.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
User avatar
drjohncarpenter
Offline
 
Topic author
Posts: 65961
Age: 79
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:04 am
Location: Cali
Has thanked: 556 times
Been thanked: 2659 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:I have re-checked the entire page (36) of the "Reading Eagle" where this piece was published, in order to see if I had inadvertently left out a part of the article, but it was definitely presented in incomplete form. It seems like they too the UPI report and cut it where they needed in order to adapt the layout of the page ! Sloppy !


Actually, it is not being sloppy. You'll find that newspapers, then as now, edit stories from UPI or AP as they see fit. You sometimes have to review 3 or 4 different publications to find all the writing that makes up an article.


I know, Doc, but in this case it's not just an adaptation of the UPI report, because the article is exactly the same, but simply reduced in size. Like, "hey man, cut it here, we've got no more room for this thing !". At least, it looks like that.

I wouldn't mind about an adaptation or an edition of the report, as long as it contained "everything" reported in the first place.

But then, they probably never thought that this stuff would be read more than fifty years later ! So I forgive them... :wink:
User avatar
Mister Moon
Offline
 
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:55 pm
Has thanked: 682 times
Been thanked: 727 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:14 pm

Another Anita Wood image for this big thread. Sorry about the watermarks !

Here's the accompanying text, which hints at an early 1960 date (also, the back of the photo includes a March 1960 stamp) :

MEMPHIS : Anita Wood, who kissed Elvis Presley goodbye when he went into the Army two years ago, said she’s looking forward to Elvis’ return. That’s the diamond and ruby “friendship” ring on her right hand which Elvis gave her. Anita is now a disk jockey for radio station WHHM here.


Anita Wood 1960.jpg


Anita Wood 1960 b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Mister Moon
Offline
 
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:55 pm
Has thanked: 682 times
Been thanked: 727 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby drjohncarpenter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:35 am

Mister Moon wrote:Another Anita Wood image for this big thread. Sorry about the watermarks !

Here's the accompanying text, which hints at an early 1960 date (also, the back of the photo includes a March 1960 stamp) :

MEMPHIS : Anita Wood, who kissed Elvis Presley goodbye when he went into the Army two years ago, said she’s looking forward to Elvis’ return. That’s the diamond and ruby “friendship” ring on her right hand which Elvis gave her. Anita is now a disk jockey for radio station WHHM here.


Image


Image


WHHM Radio, 1340 AM in Memphis! Not sure how long Anita worked as a DJ for them.

You can look at some 1960-1961 playlists here:
http://las-solanas.com/arsa/stations_item.php?&vqry=WHHM

The article was filed on 3-31-1960, but probably went to press just before Elvis was officially discharged on 3-05-1960.

Thanks for sharing the image. Anita looks lovely here.
.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
User avatar
drjohncarpenter
Offline
 
Topic author
Posts: 65961
Age: 79
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:04 am
Location: Cali
Has thanked: 556 times
Been thanked: 2659 times

Re: Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:WHHM Radio, 1340 AM in Memphis! Not sure how long Anita worked as a DJ for them.

You can look at some 1960-1961 playlists here:
http://las-solanas.com/arsa/stations_item.php?&vqry=WHHM

The article was filed on 3-31-1960, but probably went to press just before Elvis was officially discharged on 3-05-1960.

Thanks for sharing the image. Anita looks lovely here.


Glad you liked it. You gotta love the way she's sitting in front of the mike !

Thanks for the link to the playlists. Some great records there. I like the 1961 list more than the one from 1960, by the way. But there's one record in the latter that's so cool to see listed :

phpBB [video]

The Hawk - "In The Mood" - Phillips International single 3559 (released August 15, 1960)

This is of course Jerry Lee Lewis' one-off pseudonymous, instrumental record released by Sam Phillips under his subsidiary label. The b-side was a gorgeous reading of the also classic "I Get The Blues When It Rains", that I can't seem to find on YouTube (a later, vocal version by Jerry Lee himself, done for Mercury, can be found, though).

PI 3559.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Mister Moon
Offline
 
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:55 pm
Has thanked: 682 times
Been thanked: 727 times

Previous

Return to All Elvis

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andy C, bestsinger, brian, CommonCrawl [Bot], Google [Bot], markX, RockElvisRock and 3 guests