Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Springfield June 17 1977 footage

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:And it's sad that the most famous singer of the 20th century was playing one-nighters to "packed" arenas of 8700 people in second- and third-tier cities like Springfield, MO.

Well said, sir....well said.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:34 pm

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:Parker booked Elvis very cleverly. The venues were quite huge, but still his artist (or what was left of him) was not in the spotlight of the general public.

But it's not like the Colonel was hiding Elvis either. Elvis was still playing major cities in 76 and 77 and Vegas plus Elvis was going to be opening the new bigger venue at the Las Vegas Hilton in 1977 and of course there was the CBS television special. That doesn't sound like he was trying to keep him out of the spotlight.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:52 pm

I think a lot of Elvis playing smaller cities (with still respectable venue sizes) was that you can't tour the same 10 or 12 U.S. major cities over and over and over. If you tour consistently in the US you are forced to visit the smaller markets.

And we shouldn't forget that Elvis made a name for himself playing smaller cities and she stayed true to them over the years.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:00 am

sherrlon12 wrote:I think a lot of Elvis playing smaller cities (with still respectable venue sizes) was that you can't tour the same 10 or 12 U.S. major cities over and over and over. If you tour consistently in the US you are forced to visit the smaller markets.

And we shouldn't forget that Elvis made a name for himself playing smaller cities and she stayed true to them over the years.

You make complete sense and you see the big picture.

As pointed out he was playing big cities in 1977, but the constant touring made it impossible to visit those same cities over and over.

And to take the point even further, he actually was playing some of the those bigger cities twice in a years time.

He played Atlanta in June of 76 and was back by december.
He played Chicage in oct. 76 and was back by May 77.
And on and on.

That is why he needed to venture out of the USA.

And it's weird that he played Canada in the 50's, but never returned.

And he hadn't played Hawaii since 1973. That was odd in itself.

I think by the mid 70's it became popular for the younger stars to do the college town circuit.

And so Elvis started to do that to. and I find nothing wrong with it.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:15 am

sherrlon12 wrote:I think a lot of Elvis playing smaller cities (with still respectable venue sizes) was that you can't tour the same 10 or 12 U.S. major cities over and over and over. If you tour consistently in the US you are forced to visit the smaller markets.

Nah.

The bigger point is that Elvis Presley should have been touring the world, selling out places like Wembley Stadium, and giving about 1/10th the number of shows for about 25 times the gross he was getting in the U.S. by then. He was playing second- and third-tier cities because management knew larger markets would not only be harder to sell, but the instability of the artist on stage was a real concern as far as PR, and had been since at least 8-28-1976.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Nah.

The bigger point is that Elvis Presley should have been touring the world, selling out places like Wembley Stadium, and giving about 1/10th the number of shows for about 25 times the gross he was getting in the U.S. by then. He was playing second- and third-tier cities because management knew larger markets would not only be harder to sell, but the instability of the artist on stage was a real concern as far as PR, and had been since at least 8-28-1976.

True,and the thing is (assuming Elvis was up to the task) big shows in Europe,Japan,Australia would have been major events that would gain such huge publicity on TV,Radio,newspapers etc .This would have filtered back to the States and opened up the market again for first class venues across the country.

norrie

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
shawn wrote:The smaller pictures don't look so bad. The large one looks like it's in a bad light or something .

Maybe all the photos from 1977 are "in a bad light"?

shawn wrote:The place it was held-- "a packed house of 8700" .It would indeed be considered packed.

Right.

And it's sad that the most famous singer of the 20th century was playing one-nighters to "packed" arenas of 8700 people in second- and third-tier cities like Springfield, MO.

So, instead of third tier cities, you wanted management to book him in London, and Rio, and Tokyo, where
then the best way to show off an aging rock star, who tossed away the oldies in 60 seconds, and could barely do a 75 minute show. Yeah let the world see that.

You see where I am going with this?

There are a few ways to debate this, but it all comes down to Elvis' health.

In his condition, the best thing to do was the second and third tier cities.

This was no time to try and pull off a world tour.

He didn't do anything to get himself in shape for tv special filmed in the mid west.

Maybe your right, and I am not being sarcastic......the colonel could have given that challenge to Elvis and
booked that world tour, and say, "your booked, now go out and do the shows".
Could Elvis have pulled it off?

Who knows .....maybe that 's what it would have taken for him to get motivated to
get healthy? We'll never know.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:24 am

Elvis probably should have done a big world tour after Aloha, and it should have been part of the planning of the special. It could have been Aloha from Hawaii and then the Aloha World Tour. That was really the opportunity.

With that not happening I think the way things went with touring were fine. Elvis played the USA and played big and small markets. Huntsville, for instance, is a small market but Elvis did 5 shows in Huntsville in 1975 at their brand new facility (at the time). Elvis has nothing to be ashamed about in terms of his touring. He played the biggest venues of his time and packed respectable sized middle markets across the United States. His last show was in front of over 18,000 people. That says all there is to say in my opinion.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:43 am

Agreed.Right after Aloha would have been a great time to set up a world tour.In saying that I still feel that if it had happened later it could have worked and shaken Elvis out of his lethargy.Who knows ? Elvis could rise to a challenge when properly motivated.

norrie

Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:18 am

sherrlon12 wrote:Elvis probably should have done a big world tour after Aloha, and it should have been part of the planning of the special. It could have been Aloha from Hawaii and then the Aloha World Tour. That was really the opportunity.

With that not happening I think the way things went with touring were fine. Elvis played the USA and played big and small markets. Huntsville, for instance, is a small market but Elvis did 5 shows in Huntsville in 1975 at their brand new facility (at the time). Elvis has nothing to be ashamed about in terms of his touring. He played the biggest venues of his time and packed respectable sized middle markets across the United States. His last show was in front of over 18,000 people. That says all there is to say in my opinion.

And wasn't he he the top music concert draw of 77?

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:25 am

eligain wrote:
sherrlon12 wrote:Elvis probably should have done a big world tour after Aloha, and it should have been part of the planning of the special. It could have been Aloha from Hawaii and then the Aloha World Tour. That was really the opportunity.

And wasn't he he the top music concert draw of 77?

No, he died in August. But he had been doing well through June.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:50 am

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
shawn wrote:The smaller pictures don't look so bad. The large one looks like it's in a bad light or something .

Maybe all the photos from 1977 are "in a bad light"?

shawn wrote:The place it was held-- "a packed house of 8700" .It would indeed be considered packed.

Right.

And it's sad that the most famous singer of the 20th century was playing one-nighters to "packed" arenas of 8700 people in second- and third-tier cities like Springfield, MO.

So, instead of third tier cities, you wanted management to book him in London, and Rio, and Tokyo, where
then the best way to show off an aging rock star, who tossed away the oldies in 60 seconds, and could barely do a 75 minute show. Yeah let the world see that.

You see where I am going with this?

There are a few ways to debate this, but it all comes down to Elvis' health.

In his condition, the best thing to do was the second and third tier cities.

This was no time to try and pull off a world tour.

He didn't do anything to get himself in shape for tv special filmed in the mid west.

Maybe your right, and I am not being sarcastic......the colonel could have given that challenge to Elvis and
booked that world tour, and say, "your booked, now go out and do the shows".
Could Elvis have pulled it off?

Who knows .....maybe that 's what it would have taken for him to get motivated to
get healthy? We'll never know.

I see that at least one person here "gets it". 8)

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:10 pm

And wasn't he he the top music concert draw of 77?[/quote]

No, he died in August. But he had been doing well through June.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you're right. I've read several times that in 1977, "Billboard rated him the year's top grossing live act despite the fact that he toured only half the year."

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:27 pm

You have to keep in mind, a lot of the top draws only tour for a few months. I have no idea who else is on that list, but if it includes Peter Frampton and Fleetwood Mac, I would doubt that either was on the road for more than 6 months out of that year.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:15 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:You have to keep in mind, a lot of the top draws only tour for a few months. I have no idea who else is on that list, but if it includes Peter Frampton and Fleetwood Mac, I would doubt that either was on the road for more than 6 months out of that year.

That statement is correct...., yet no matter how we slice it, the fact that Elvis was still such a draw at this point in his career (1977) is still quite remarkable.
Just look, here we are, less than 2 moths from the year 2014, and we are still purchasing his music, books, and still talking about the man. That is a true testimony to the amazing talent that Elvis was and still is. Elvis was a once-in-a-life-time talent. John Lennon was so correct when he said before Elvis there was nothing. Might I be so bold to add, that after Elvis there is no one to equal him. To be sure, there are many wonderfully talented musicians and artisit, and many of Elvis' so-called "records" may be surpassed. However, no one can be his equal on what he did, what he started, the unspeakable charisma he possessed, and the lasting inluence he has had upon generations of people around the world.

rlj

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:43 pm

This whole "elvis played tier II & III city" thing is getting out of hand.
Elvis played the same venues as any other rock group even towards the end, with the side note he didn't want to play outdoors.
Elvis hit every major city in the last 1.5 years of his life.
Where else to go if you can't cross border?

Pink Floyd26 April PF The Omni Coliseum, Atlanta, GA, USA

28 April PF Assembly Center, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, USA [33]
30 April PF Jeppesen Stadium, University Of Houston, Houston, TX, USA [35]
1 May PF Tarrant County Convention Center, Forth Worth, TX, USA [34]
4 May PF Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Phoenix, AZ, USA

6 May PF Anaheim Stadium, Anaheim, Los Angeles, CA, USA

7 May PF Anaheim Stadium, Anaheim, Los Angeles, CA, USA
9 May PF Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, CA, USA

10 May PF Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, CA, USA

12 May PF Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR, USA

15 June PF County Stadium, Milwaukee, WI, USA

17 June PF Freedom Hall, Louisville, KY, USA

19 June PF Super Bowl of Rock 'n' Roll, Soldier Field, Chicago, IL, USA

21 June PF Kemper Arena, Kansas City, MO, USA

23 June PF Riverfront Coliseum, Cincinnati, OH, USA

25 June PF World Series of Rock, Municipal Stadium, Cleveland, OH, USA [46]
27 June PF Boston Garden, Boston, MA, USA [48]
28 June PF Spectrum Theater, Philadelphia, PA, USA

29 June PF Spectrum Theater, Philadelphia, PA, USA
1 July PF Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY, USA

2 July PF Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY, USA
3 July PF Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY, USA [53]
4 July PF Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY, USA [54]

Lynyrd Skynyrd: The Amarillo's & Norman's it's all there.
Jan 09, 1976 Savannah, GA
Jan 10, 1976 Asheville, NC
Jan 16, 1976 Knoxville, TN
Jan 23, 1976 Amarillo, TX
Mar 01, 1976 Denver, CO
Mar 12, 1976 San Bernardino, CA
Mar 14, 1976 San Diego, CA
Mar 16, 1976 Seattle, WA
Mar 17, 1976 Spokane, WA
Mar 18, 1976 Portland, OR
Mar 24, 1976 Albuquerque, NM
Mar 25, 1976 Houston, TX
Mar 26, 1976 Norman, OK
Apr 03, 1976 St. Louis, MO
Apr 21, 1976 Dallas, TX
May 01, 1976 Jacksonville, FL
May 11, 1976 Kansas City, MO
May 15, 1976 Cincinnati, OH
May 16, 1976 Evansville, IN
May 18, 1976 Columbus, OH
May 31, 1976 Myrtle Beach, SC
Jul 02, 1976 Dayton, OH
Jul 16, 1976 Birmingham, AL
Jul 28, 1976 Pensacola, FL
Jul 30, 1976 Nashville, TN
Aug 25, 1976 Lewiston, ME
Aug 28, 1976 Ashbury Park, NJ
Sep 26, 1976 La Crosse, WI
Sep 28, 1976 Minot, ND
Nov 06, 1976 Kent, OH
Nov 07, 1976 Long Island, NY
Nov 20, 1976 Binghamton, NY
Nov 21, 1976 Hampton, VA
Apr 23, 1977 Louisville, KY
Apr 29, 1977 Charlotte, NC
Apr 30, 1977 Fayetteville, NC
May 11, 1977 Columbia, SC
Jun 18, 1977 Hyannis, MA
Jun 26, 1977 Denver, CO
Jun 27, 1977 Salt Lake City, UT

Up next, KISS: Abilene, Duluth all the way

24.11.76,Savannah,GA,USA,Civic Center
25.11.76,Charlotte,NC,USA,Coliseum1976Paullive2.jpg (5294 Byte)
27.11.76,Raleigh,NC,USA,Dorton Arena
28.11.76,Greenville,SC,USA,Municipal Auditorium
30.11.76,Columbus,GA,USA,Municipal Auditorium
02.12.76,Memphis,TN,USA,Mid-South Coliseum
03.12.76,Jackson,MS,USA,Jackson Coliseum
04.12.76,New Orleans,LA,USA,Municipal Auditorium
05.12.76,Mobile,AL,USA,Municipal Auditorium
07.12.76,Huntsville,AL,USA,Von Braun Civic Center
08.12.76,Macon,GA,USA,Auditorium
10.12.76,Jacksonville,FL,USA,Coliseum
11.12.76,Miami,FL,USA,Sportatorium
12.12.76,Lakeland,FL,USA,Civic Center (Ace "electrocuted")
15.12.76,Buffalo,NY,USA,Memorial Auditorium
16.12.76,Syracuse,NY,USA,Onondaga County War Memorial
18.12.76,New Haven,CT,USA,Coliseum
19.12.76,Largo,MD,USA,Capital Center
21.12.76,Philadelphia,PA,USA,The Spectrum1976Genespittingblood2.jpg (4043 Byte)
27.12.76,Fayetteville,NC,USA,Cumberland County Coliseum
28.12.76,Roanoke,VA,USA,Roanoke Civic Center
30.12.76,Augusta,ME,USA,Civic Center
01.01.77,Providence,RI,USA,Civic Center
05.01.77,Abilene,TX,USA,Taylor Coliseum
06.01.77,Tulsa,OK,USA,Assembly Center
07.01.77,Norman,OK,USA,Lloyd Noble Center
09.01.77,Wichita,KS,USA,Henry Levitt Arena
10.01.77,Amarillo,TX,USA,Civic Center
11.01.77,Albuquerque,NM,USA,Tingley Coliseum
13.01.77,Salt Lake City,UT,USA,Salt Palace
15.01.77,Denver,CO,USA,McNichols Arena
17.01.77,Grand Forks,ND,USA,University of North Dakota
18.01.77,Duluth,MN,USA,Duluth Arena
20.01.77,Lincoln,NE,USA,Pershing Auditorium
21.01.77,Des Moines,IA,USA,Veterans Memorial Coliseum
22.01.77,Chicago,IL,USA,Chicago Stadium
24.01.77,Fort Wayne,IN,USA,Veterans Memorial Coliseum
25.01.77,Terre Haute,IN,USA,Hulman Center
27.01.77,Detroit,MI,USA,Cobo Hall
28.01.77,Detroit,MI,USA,Cobo Hall
29.01.77,Detroit,MI,USA,Cobo Hall
01.02.77,Milwaukee,WI,USA,Milwaukee Auditorium
02.02.77,Milwaukee,WI,USA,Milwaukee Auditorium
03.02.77,Green Bay,WI,USA,Brown County Arena
04.02.77,Madison,WI,USA,Dane County Expo Center Coliseum
06.02.77,Bloomington,MN,USA,Met Center
08.02.77,Omaha,NE,USA,Civic Auditorium
09.02.77,Kansas City,MO,USA,Kemper Arena
10.02.77,Waterloo,IA,USA,McElroy Auditorium
12.02.77,Bismarck,ND,USA,Civic Center
16.02.77,Hartford,CT,USA,Cicic Center
18.02.77,New York,NY,USA,Madison Square Garden
21.02.77,Uniondale,NY,USA,Nassau Coliseum
26.02.77,Johnson City,TN,USA,Freedom Hall Civic Center
27.02.77,Columbia,SC,USA,Carolina Coliseum
01.03.77,Asheville,NC,USA,Civic Center1976Paullive10.jpg (6050 Byte)
03.03.77,Birmingham,AL,USA,Jefferson Civic Center
05.03.77,Lexington,KY,USA,Rupp Arena
06.03.77,Columbus,OH,USA,St. John Arena
07.03.77,Hampton,VA,USA,Coliseum

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Nah.

I don't believe that larger markets were hard to sell. He caused such a commotion in Denver in 1976 when his tickets went on sale that it crippled the whole Ticketmaster system. Long lines snaked through shopping malls at the then ticket outlets in the May D&F department stores and at the arena box office and he sold out 19,000 seats in a record 6 hours faster then any other performer or event up to that point. They could have easily added 2 more shows and sold those out. There was reportedly that many people still in line when it sold out. Nobody had ever seen anything like it.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:41 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:You have to keep in mind, a lot of the top draws only tour for a few months. I have no idea who else is on that list, but if it includes Peter Frampton and Fleetwood Mac, I would doubt that either was on the road for more than 6 months out of that year.

I think KISS was second on the list.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Great point - it seems Elvis played the same venues of all the big acts of that time. I think we can say "case closed" now on this debate.

Robert wrote:This whole "elvis played tier II & III city" thing is getting out of hand.
Elvis played the same venues as any other rock group even towards the end, with the side note he didn't want to play outdoors.
Elvis hit every major city in the last 1.5 years of his life.
Where else to go if you can't cross border?

Pink Floyd26 April PF The Omni Coliseum, Atlanta, GA, USA

28 April PF Assembly Center, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, USA [33]
30 April PF Jeppesen Stadium, University Of Houston, Houston, TX, USA [35]
1 May PF Tarrant County Convention Center, Forth Worth, TX, USA [34]
4 May PF Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Phoenix, AZ, USA

6 May PF Anaheim Stadium, Anaheim, Los Angeles, CA, USA

7 May PF Anaheim Stadium, Anaheim, Los Angeles, CA, USA
9 May PF Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, CA, USA

10 May PF Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, CA, USA

12 May PF Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR, USA

15 June PF County Stadium, Milwaukee, WI, USA

17 June PF Freedom Hall, Louisville, KY, USA

19 June PF Super Bowl of Rock 'n' Roll, Soldier Field, Chicago, IL, USA

21 June PF Kemper Arena, Kansas City, MO, USA

23 June PF Riverfront Coliseum, Cincinnati, OH, USA

25 June PF World Series of Rock, Municipal Stadium, Cleveland, OH, USA [46]
27 June PF Boston Garden, Boston, MA, USA [48]
28 June PF Spectrum Theater, Philadelphia, PA, USA

29 June PF Spectrum Theater, Philadelphia, PA, USA
1 July PF Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY, USA

2 July PF Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY, USA
3 July PF Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY, USA [53]
4 July PF Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY, USA [54]

Lynyrd Skynyrd: The Amarillo's & Norman's it's all there.
Jan 09, 1976 Savannah, GA
Jan 10, 1976 Asheville, NC
Jan 16, 1976 Knoxville, TN
Jan 23, 1976 Amarillo, TX
Mar 01, 1976 Denver, CO
Mar 12, 1976 San Bernardino, CA
Mar 14, 1976 San Diego, CA
Mar 16, 1976 Seattle, WA
Mar 17, 1976 Spokane, WA
Mar 18, 1976 Portland, OR
Mar 24, 1976 Albuquerque, NM
Mar 25, 1976 Houston, TX
Mar 26, 1976 Norman, OK
Apr 03, 1976 St. Louis, MO
Apr 21, 1976 Dallas, TX
May 01, 1976 Jacksonville, FL
May 11, 1976 Kansas City, MO
May 15, 1976 Cincinnati, OH
May 16, 1976 Evansville, IN
May 18, 1976 Columbus, OH
May 31, 1976 Myrtle Beach, SC
Jul 02, 1976 Dayton, OH
Jul 16, 1976 Birmingham, AL
Jul 28, 1976 Pensacola, FL
Jul 30, 1976 Nashville, TN
Aug 25, 1976 Lewiston, ME
Aug 28, 1976 Ashbury Park, NJ
Sep 26, 1976 La Crosse, WI
Sep 28, 1976 Minot, ND
Nov 06, 1976 Kent, OH
Nov 07, 1976 Long Island, NY
Nov 20, 1976 Binghamton, NY
Nov 21, 1976 Hampton, VA
Apr 23, 1977 Louisville, KY
Apr 29, 1977 Charlotte, NC
Apr 30, 1977 Fayetteville, NC
May 11, 1977 Columbia, SC
Jun 18, 1977 Hyannis, MA
Jun 26, 1977 Denver, CO
Jun 27, 1977 Salt Lake City, UT

Up next, KISS: Abilene, Duluth all the way

24.11.76,Savannah,GA,USA,Civic Center
25.11.76,Charlotte,NC,USA,Coliseum1976Paullive2.jpg (5294 Byte)
27.11.76,Raleigh,NC,USA,Dorton Arena
28.11.76,Greenville,SC,USA,Municipal Auditorium
30.11.76,Columbus,GA,USA,Municipal Auditorium
02.12.76,Memphis,TN,USA,Mid-South Coliseum
03.12.76,Jackson,MS,USA,Jackson Coliseum
04.12.76,New Orleans,LA,USA,Municipal Auditorium
05.12.76,Mobile,AL,USA,Municipal Auditorium
07.12.76,Huntsville,AL,USA,Von Braun Civic Center
08.12.76,Macon,GA,USA,Auditorium
10.12.76,Jacksonville,FL,USA,Coliseum
11.12.76,Miami,FL,USA,Sportatorium
12.12.76,Lakeland,FL,USA,Civic Center (Ace "electrocuted")
15.12.76,Buffalo,NY,USA,Memorial Auditorium
16.12.76,Syracuse,NY,USA,Onondaga County War Memorial
18.12.76,New Haven,CT,USA,Coliseum
19.12.76,Largo,MD,USA,Capital Center
21.12.76,Philadelphia,PA,USA,The Spectrum1976Genespittingblood2.jpg (4043 Byte)
27.12.76,Fayetteville,NC,USA,Cumberland County Coliseum
28.12.76,Roanoke,VA,USA,Roanoke Civic Center
30.12.76,Augusta,ME,USA,Civic Center
01.01.77,Providence,RI,USA,Civic Center
05.01.77,Abilene,TX,USA,Taylor Coliseum
06.01.77,Tulsa,OK,USA,Assembly Center
07.01.77,Norman,OK,USA,Lloyd Noble Center
09.01.77,Wichita,KS,USA,Henry Levitt Arena
10.01.77,Amarillo,TX,USA,Civic Center
11.01.77,Albuquerque,NM,USA,Tingley Coliseum
13.01.77,Salt Lake City,UT,USA,Salt Palace
15.01.77,Denver,CO,USA,McNichols Arena
17.01.77,Grand Forks,ND,USA,University of North Dakota
18.01.77,Duluth,MN,USA,Duluth Arena
20.01.77,Lincoln,NE,USA,Pershing Auditorium
21.01.77,Des Moines,IA,USA,Veterans Memorial Coliseum
22.01.77,Chicago,IL,USA,Chicago Stadium
24.01.77,Fort Wayne,IN,USA,Veterans Memorial Coliseum
25.01.77,Terre Haute,IN,USA,Hulman Center
27.01.77,Detroit,MI,USA,Cobo Hall
28.01.77,Detroit,MI,USA,Cobo Hall
29.01.77,Detroit,MI,USA,Cobo Hall
01.02.77,Milwaukee,WI,USA,Milwaukee Auditorium
02.02.77,Milwaukee,WI,USA,Milwaukee Auditorium
03.02.77,Green Bay,WI,USA,Brown County Arena
04.02.77,Madison,WI,USA,Dane County Expo Center Coliseum
06.02.77,Bloomington,MN,USA,Met Center
08.02.77,Omaha,NE,USA,Civic Auditorium
09.02.77,Kansas City,MO,USA,Kemper Arena
10.02.77,Waterloo,IA,USA,McElroy Auditorium
12.02.77,Bismarck,ND,USA,Civic Center
16.02.77,Hartford,CT,USA,Cicic Center
18.02.77,New York,NY,USA,Madison Square Garden
21.02.77,Uniondale,NY,USA,Nassau Coliseum
26.02.77,Johnson City,TN,USA,Freedom Hall Civic Center
27.02.77,Columbia,SC,USA,Carolina Coliseum
01.03.77,Asheville,NC,USA,Civic Center1976Paullive10.jpg (6050 Byte)
03.03.77,Birmingham,AL,USA,Jefferson Civic Center
05.03.77,Lexington,KY,USA,Rupp Arena
06.03.77,Columbus,OH,USA,St. John Arena
07.03.77,Hampton,VA,USA,Coliseum

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:I have never seen anyone look as obese, sick, or near death as the Elvis of 1977. Especially in Springfield. It's amazing he didn't OD right there on stage.

He didn't look "near death." That's just hindsight talking.

I think this is an interesting point. To my eyes Elvis looked physically horrifying in 1977. But as pointed out that's probably hindsight talking. I think it's interesting that someone like Alicia Kerwin, who saw Elvis during this period, described him as "heavy, but other than that he looked very good." When 10-year-old Monique Brave was asked what her impressions of Elvis were when she met him she said, "He was so handsome."

It makes me wonder if he really looked all that bad. Or am I letting the 1968-1969 "Greek God" image of Elvis taint my jugement. :?

One thing Elvis never lost was his charisma, on stage or off. It was what got him through most of the poor shows in 1976-77. But most recognized his health was not what it should have been at that time.

I agree. + that he loved to perform...

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:27 am

sherrlon12 wrote:Great point - it seems Elvis played the same venues of all the big acts of that time. I think we can say "case closed" now on this debate.

Yes, Pink Floyd played tons of gigs in West Palm Beach, Norman, Kalamazoo, Rochester, Rapid City and Sioux Falls.

You have fun with your fantasy, but the fact is that Elvis' increasingly poor appearance and performances towards the end were forcing management to book him into venues and cities that someone of stature should never have played.

Period.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sherrlon12 wrote:Great point - it seems Elvis played the same venues of all the big acts of that time. I think we can say "case closed" now on this debate.

Yes, Pink Floyd played tons of gigs in West Palm Beach, Norman, Kalamazoo, Rochester, Rapid City and Sioux Falls.

You have fun with your fantasy, but the fact is that Elvis' increasingly poor appearance and performances towards the end were forcing management to book him into venues and cities that someone of stature should never have played.

Period.

But what about the On Tour box set?

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:03 am

Come on, you have to remember that those venues seem smaller today than back then. Take Syracuse, for example,

Depending on the configuration, capacity usually capped at around 8,000 spectators. According to clippings from The Post-Standard, the one-night record appears to have been set in 1976 by Frank Sinatra, who attracted 9,000 while performing from a stage in the middle of the floor. Diana Ross, in 1984, drew 8,900 spectators, and many acts — such as Elvis Presley, Chicago, the Grateful Dead and Lawrence Welk — packed more than 8,000 into the hall.

Put aside The Beatles and The Doors — the Fab Four never played an Upstate concert, and The Doors canceled a War Memorial show in 1969 after frontman Jim Morrison was arrested for indecent exposure in Florida — and just about every popular musician of significance after World War II appeared in the War Memorial: The Rolling Stones. Bob Dylan. Loretta Lynn. Elvis. Sinatra. The Jacksons, with Michael Jackson out front. Led Zeppelin. Simon and Garfunkel. The Who. James Brown. Genesis. Liberace. Ray Charles. The Eagles. Joni Mitchell. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. Johnny Cash. Phish. The Temptations. Dave Matthews.

All told, the War Memorial has hosted roughly 400 concerts, attracting somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 million spectators. The performers worked their magic on a humble wood stage that remains in use, floorboards worn free of polish by some of the world’s greatest entertainers.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/ ... ith_t.html

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:07 am

Or take Hollywood Florida:

Despite the Sportatorium's lack of success in attracting a sports franchise, it thrived as a concert arena. Although there were various problems with the facility, it quickly became the focal point for the big-name rock music scene in the 1970s and 1980s. Virtually every well-known rock band touring during that period performed on the stage of the Sporto.

In 1971, the Sportatorium began a summer series of weekly rock concerts every Sunday at 2:00 p.m.[3] The first truly big-name rock act to play the Sportatorium was Emerson, Lake & Palmer, on August 10, 1971. Less than a month later, on September 1, 1971, Led Zeppelin stopped at the Sportatorium on its North American tour, and the Sporto's reputation as the place for rock music in South Florida was sealed. The remainder of 1971 saw MC5 and Alice Cooper on September 12, Grand Funk Railroad on October 15, and Fleetwood Mac on November 6.[14]

Deep Purple, with Uriah Heep as the opening act, performed the first concert of 1972 at the Sportatorium on January 13. The Allman Brothers Band played at the arena on January 22, just three months following the death of Duane Allman. Uriah Heep returned as a headliner in February, with Cactus as the opening act. In April, The Byrds, The Moody Blues, and Pink Floyd all played concerts at the Sporto. Following yet another visit mid-summer by Uriah Heep, Yes performed in September with the Eagles as the opening act. Beck, Bogert & Appice, Poco, and John Mayall played in October, and the year closed out in December with a visit from Humble Pie and return visits from the Allman Brothers Band and Fleetwood Mac.[14]

1973 saw concerts from John Martyn, Uriah Heep with Spooky Tooth, Frank Zappa with Foghat, Pink Floyd, Focus, Elton John, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Chicago with Gentle Giant opening for them.

In 1974, there were concerts from Johnny Winter with Brownsville Station, Bob Dylan & The Band, New Riders of the Purple Sage with Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, The Beach Boys, King Crimson with Poco, The Guess Who, and Uriah Heep with Babe Ruth and Manfred Mann's Earth Band.[14]

The Doobie Brothers, with the Ozark Mountain Daredevils and Lynyrd Skynyrd as the opening acts, and Ginger Baker's Air Force played the Sportatorium in 1975, shortly before renovations began on the arena.

Following the 1975-1976 renovation, the Eagles performed in July 1976, followed by ZZ Top and Chicago in October, Eric Clapton in November and Kiss in December. 1977 opened with a January concert by The Beach Boys, followed by a notable February 12 concert by Elvis Presley on what would turn out to be his last tour before his death that August. Queen and Thin Lizzy played the Sportatorium a week after Elvis, with Blue Öyster Cult following in March. A concert by Jethro Tull took place in April, and the Grateful Dead played in May. Concerts by Bad Company, AC/DC, and Johnny Winter took place during the summer, followed by a Patti Smith concert in September. On October 15, 1977, Lynyrd Skynyrd played one of its last concerts at the Sportatorium; five days later, three members of the group were killed in a plane crash. The remainder of 1977 saw concerts from Santana, The Doobie Brothers with Pablo Cruise, Kansas, Rush, Rod Stewart, and Robin Trower.[14]

In 1978, there were concerts from Kiss, Rush with Pat Travers and Head East, John Denver, the Grateful Dead, Journey and Van Halen with Montrose, Blue Öyster Cult, The Isley Brothers, Aerosmith with Mahogany Rush, Foghat, Sweet, Genesis, Queen, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Bob Dylan, and Ambrosia.[14]
1979 saw visits to the Sporto from Boston, Styx, Rush with UFO, The Moody Blues, Kiss, Yes, Mick Ronson with Blue Öyster Cult, Jethro Tull, and Kansas.[14]
In the 1980s, the arena was the site of concerts for Beastie Boys, Billy Idol, Billy Joel, Billy Squier, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Cheap Trick, Cinderella, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, Def Leppard, Dio, Duran Duran, Electric Light Orchestra, Foghat, The Firm, Foreigner, Guns N' Roses, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, INXS, Iron Maiden, The J. Geils Band, Joan Jett, John Mellencamp, Jonathan Butler, Judas Priest, Kenny G, Loverboy, Madonna, Mötley Crüe, Nazareth, Neil Young, Night Ranger, Ozzy Osbourne, Poison, The Police, Public Image Ltd., Quiet Riot, Ratt, REO Speedwagon, Rick James, Robert Plant, Scorpions, Starship, Stevie Nicks, Sting, Ted Nugent, Tina Turner, Triumph, Twisted Sister, Van Halen, U2, Whitesnake, Whitney Houston and Willie Nelson, as well as many of the bands who had already played the Sporto in the 1970s.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:09 am

sherrlon12 wrote:Or take Hollywood Florida ...

Yes, Pink Floyd rocked that town many times.