Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Springfield June 17 1977 footage

Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:22 am

No, some of the pictures we saw later were just bad...period!!
He looked very ill. Was kinda glad we missed that one.
I have empathy for the man.

It was indeed a much smaller venue than he was used to,I'm sure.
But, he made a lot of people happy. That's what counted..

Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:32 am

shawn wrote:It was indeed a much smaller venue than he was used to,I'm sure.

By June 17, he was used to them. Management had booked him into a lot of smaller halls in 1977, in smaller markets. Ever wonder why?

Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
shawn wrote:It was indeed a much smaller venue than he was used to,I'm sure.

By June 17, he was used to them. Management had booked him into a lot of smaller halls in 1977, in smaller markets. Ever wonder why?

Not at the time, no. It was only much later after reading some things and talking to a few people-- I thought he should have taken that year off and done something he really wanted to do and enjoyed.He'd given enough by that time; he needed to take care of hinself for a change.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:48 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:John Wilkerson's book must have pulled the shot and caption from the local paper in August 1977.
Yes indeed, the book reproduced the whole front page of that particular issue
drjohncarpenter wrote:Bob Linder is still with the Springfield News-Leader today:
Here are a few more shots by him from Springfield on June 17, 1977:
You can tell these are the first two songs ("C.C. Rider," "I Got A Woman"). Media are generally shooed away from the front of the stage after the opening numbers.
Nice find, Doc...are you holding out on us, or did you just find this?

In the News-Leader review it is mentioned that
Before deadline pressures and a late start for the Elvis segment of the show drove this writer to his typewriter in mid-show
so maybe Linder just simply left at that point too...incidentally, the photo that the actual review used was the worst of the lot, it seems.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:53 pm

I was born and raised in Harrison, Arkansas which, at that time, was about a two hour drive south of Springfield. Coincidentally, Harrison was the town Elvis flew into to attend Ginger Alden's grandfather's funeral in January '77.

My aunt, who passed away in 1985, was offered the opportunity to attend the concert in Springfield but for some reason she couldn't make it. She regretted til the day she died.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:56 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:Nice find, Doc...are you holding out on us, or did you just find this?

Found and immediately shared with FECC, as I always like to do.

Note that the image used in the Wednesday, August 17, 1977 Springfield News-Leader article Wilkinson reprinted in his book may not necessarily be the one the editors chose on Saturday, June 18, 1977.

Does anyone have access to the original review?
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:16 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Note that the image used in the August 17, 1977 Springfield News-Leader article Wilkinson reprinted in his book may not necessarily be the one the editors chose on June 17, 1977.

Yeah, I was trying to say that the photo used on June 18, 1977 edition of News-Leader was a different one and from my bad copy looks like the worst of the ones seen so far...

While the News-Leader review was relatively kind, the student newspaper of MSU called the show "sad and pitiful...and funny"...that's funny in no good sense of the word...

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:56 am

Who tells us this clip is indeed from Springfield..as I see it it can be almost any show from 1977...

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:27 am

Ciscoking wrote:Who tells us this clip is indeed from Springfield..as I see it it can be almost any show from 1977...

Well...by simple elimination. Already the Sundial/band in white combination leaves just 11 possibilities. Then with Sumner wearing red, possibilities reduce to 6. As Nielsen wears blue, only three dates remain (Tempe, Baton Rouge, Springfield). The band platform eliminates Baton Rouge. I did think for a longest time that this clip was from Tempe, but finally realized that a) Nielsen wears a different kind of blue outfit (only seen in Springfield?) b)the stools singers are using are just like the ones in Springfield c)the yellow stage edge also matches Springfield...

Of course, if you can prove me wrong... :wink:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Great...... another piece of history discoverd!!!

Greetz,

mrsongman

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:55 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:John Wilkerson's book must have pulled the shot and caption from the local paper in August 1977.

Springfield News-Leader, Wednesday, August 17, 1977
Staff Photo: Bob Linder

It's unclear what's sadder, the photo itself, the caption noting "a packed house of 8700" or the fact that this was published exactly eight weeks after Elvis did the concert.

Bob Linder is still with the Springfield News-Leader today:
http://search.news-leader.com/sp?aff=1100&skin=&keywords=Bob%20Linder

He's a great photographer and has his own website:

Bob Linder Springfield Missouri Photographer
http://boblinderphotography.com/Artist.asp?ArtistID=18277&AKey=BDS8CFNT&flM=2

Here are a few more shots by him from Springfield on June 17, 1977:

Photos: Bob Linder, Springfield News-Leader, June 17, 1977

You can tell these are the first two songs ("C.C. Rider," "I Got A Woman"). Media are generally shooed away from the front of the stage after the opening numbers.

His left hand on the big picture looks severely mis-figured and swollen.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Who tells us this clip is indeed from Springfield..as I see it it can be almost any show from 1977...

Well...by simple elimination. Already the Sundial/band in white combination leaves just 11 possibilities. Then with Sumner wearing red, possibilities reduce to 6. As Nielsen wears blue, only three dates remain (Tempe, Baton Rouge, Springfield). The band platform eliminates Baton Rouge. I did think for a longest time that this clip was from Tempe, but finally realized that a) Nielsen wears a different kind of blue outfit (only seen in Springfield?) b)the stools singers are using are just like the ones in Springfield c)the yellow stage edge also matches Springfield...

Cool. i love it when people are able to eliminate things to get to a certain date. Kudos! :smt023

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:39 pm

epf wrote:
Scott Hayward wrote:

Cool. i love it when people are able to eliminate things to get to a certain date. Kudos! :smt023

I second this...excellent work !!....

::rocks

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:07 pm

For those of us who care about such matters, I happened run into a person who attended this show and taped it! The recording is however, of "very poor quality, [and incomplete] with the end after "I Really Don't Want to Know" missing" But he provided me with a setlist of that night, and based on that it seems this was not a great show...but I guess we knew that. :(
1. CC RIder
2. I Got A Woman
3. Love Me
4. If You Love Me, Let Me Know
5. You Gave Me A Mountain
6. Jailhouse Rock
7. Little Sister
8. It's Now or Never
9. Teddy Bear
10. Don't Be Cruel
11. Band Introductions
12. In The Early Morning Rain
13. Johnny B Good
14. I Really Don't Want To Know
15. Hurt
16. Hound Dog
17. Can't Help Falling In Love
Last edited by Scott Hayward on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:42 pm

Seems as if there would have been a "My Way," "And I Love You So" or "Polk Salad Annie" after "Don't Be Cruel" based on other shows of this time period.

But by this time, no one ever knew for sure if he'd even make it through a performance.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:For those of us who care about such matters, I happened run into a person who attended this show and taped it! The recording is however, of "very poor quality, [and incomplete] from the beginning until "I Really Don't Want to Know"" But he provided me with a setlist of that night, and based on that it seems this was not a great show...but I guess we knew that. :(
1. CC RIder
2. I Got A Woman
3. Love Me
6. Jailhouse Rock
7. Little Sister
8. It's Now or Never
9. Teddy Bear
10. Don't Be Cruel
11. Band Introductions
13. Johnny B Good
15. Hurt
16. Hound Dog

How long is early morning rain? the usual 1:56 version
or as elvis sometimes did in 77 a 2:26 version?

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:27 pm

Very sad.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:31 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
Scott Hayward wrote:For those of us who care about such matters, I happened run into a person who attended this show and taped it! The recording is however, of "very poor quality, [and incomplete] from the beginning until "I Really Don't Want to Know"" But he provided me with a setlist of that night, and based on that it seems this was not a great show...but I guess we knew that. :(
1. CC RIder
2. I Got A Woman
3. Love Me
6. Jailhouse Rock
7. Little Sister
8. It's Now or Never
9. Teddy Bear
10. Don't Be Cruel
11. Band Introductions
13. Johnny B Good
15. Hurt
16. Hound Dog

How long is early morning rain? the usual 1:56 version
or as elvis sometimes did in 77 a 2:26 version?

When he was feeling better, there was often a 2:31 version.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Nice find..... Appreciate the video......, it is part of the Elvis legacy and experience.

rlj

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:31 am

for certain Elvis would have sung a minimum of 2 more songs b4 the intros at this show :|
Thus i figure And I love you so + My Way would be missing from this set list

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:49 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
shawn wrote:The smaller pictures don't look so bad. The large one looks like it's in a bad light or something .

Maybe all the photos from 1977 are "in a bad light"?

shawn wrote:The place it was held-- "a packed house of 8700" .It would indeed be considered packed.

Right.

And it's sad that the most famous singer of the 20th century was playing one-nighters to "packed" arenas of 8700 people in second- and third-tier cities like Springfield, MO.

Dear me. What's your point? Elvis was a epic failure by 77? He looked terrible? He performed terrible? Talk about beating a dead horse (NO pun or joke intended). No, he didn't look great by 77, BUT he still managed to pull off some pretty fine performances. I'm quite certain he was saddened and distressed by his appearance by then, but would even be sadder by so-called fans constantly pointing out the negatives of his life/career by then. SMH

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:02 am

GetLow wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
shawn wrote:The smaller pictures don't look so bad. The large one looks like it's in a bad light or something .

shawn wrote:The place it was held-- "a packed house of 8700" .It would indeed be considered packed.

Right.

And it's sad that the most famous singer of the 20th century was playing one-nighters to "packed" arenas of 8700 people in second- and third-tier cities like Springfield, MO.

Dear me. What's your point? Elvis was a epic failure by 77? He looked terrible? He performed terrible? Talk about beating a dead horse (NO pun or joke intended). No, he didn't look great by 77, BUT he still managed to pull off some pretty fine performances. I'm quite certain he was saddened and distressed by his appearance by then, but would even be sadder by so-called fans constantly pointing out the negatives of his life/career by then. SMH

Can i whole-heartedly agree with that?
As for a Elvis CD collectors forum we discuss less CD's than we discuss Elvis lifestyle and wrong-doings..

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:18 am

GetLow wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Right.

Dear me. What's your point?

My point is Elvis Presley's life and career are best appreciated from a reality-based viewpoint. It denigrates his memory to put him on a pedestal, or view his lesser moments through rose-colored glasses.

So, to that end, when I see something like that, I try to redress the balance. I hope that doesn't bother you too much. ;-)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:47 am

I tend to agree that Elvis would have been better off not playing smaller venues at this time. Touring less but in more `prestigious' venues might have removed some of the pressure from such constant touring while still drawing sufficient income.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:24 am

I have never seen anyone look as obese, sick, or near death as the Elvis of 1977. Especially in Springfield. It's amazing he didn't OD right there on stage.