Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Springfield June 17 1977 footage

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:29 am

KALAMAZOO Wing Stadium -

>>The panels that line the circular concourse at Wings Stadium cover not just the hockey franchise’s history since its inaugural season of 1974-75, but also the venue’s remarkable history of concerts. Among the acts to play the Stadium: Elvis, Sinatra, Springsteen, Clapton, Prince, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Foghat, ZZ Top, Doobie Brothers, Beach Boys, Peter Frampton and Bob Seger.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:38 am

Another fact to consider, and this will be my last post on the subject, but a packed house at a smaller venue in a smaller town may be a bigger achievement than a packed venue in a larger town. There literally may be a larger percentage of the population present to fill the small venue than to fill the larger venue in the larger town.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:51 am

The point I'd make is that Elvis would have been better resting than playing sub 10,000 gigs on yet another gruelling tour.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:07 am

sherrlon12 wrote:Another fact to consider, and this will be my last post on the subject, but a packed house at a smaller venue in a smaller town may be a bigger achievement than a packed venue in a larger town. There literally may be a larger percentage of the population present to fill the small venue than to fill the larger venue in the larger town.

Yes, what a great achievement for ELVIS PRESLEY. If only he could have played Sioux Falls multiple times.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:54 pm

MAYBE HE SHOULD HAVE PLAYED THE STATE FAIR CIRCUIT.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:30 am

It's pretty cool that Elvis played some smaller towns, not all of his fans could afford a trip to New York or Vegas. Would've been nice if his overseas fans had had the same opportunities.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:08 am

Lonely Summer wrote:It's pretty cool that Elvis played some smaller towns, not all of his fans could afford a trip to New York or Vegas. Would've been nice if his overseas fans had had the same opportunities.

The hell with Paris, Madrid, Prague, Kraków, Rome, Bruges, London, Vienna, Budapest or Copenhagen.

Don't forget Elvis rocked Fresno not once, not twice, but three times!

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:12 am

Elvis played Fresno in 1973 and 1974. I thought the point of this post was to argue that Elvis was being hidden out in smaller markets in 1977?

But let's move on. Elvis has nothing to be ashamed of. He played all venues - big and smaller. That's something to be proud of! He played his last set in front of 18,000 people.

Of course, there's a whole other post for later to discuss should Elvis had played the bigger venues to start with or should he have played the more intimate theaters like the Fox Theaters in Atlanta and Detroit and played paired down, more intimate shows.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:46 am

sherrlon12 wrote:Elvis played Fresno in 1973 and 1974. I thought the point of this post was to argue that Elvis was being hidden out in smaller markets in 1977?

Please keep up. You fail to notice someone mentions touring overseas (i.e. Europe) -- it's copied in my reply.

Thus, I speak to a greater truth about Elvis' concerts in his final decade.

Hope this helps. ;-)

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:10 am

You know, It's funny but I've never found arrogance and negativity to be enduring traits.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sherrlon12 wrote:Elvis played Fresno in 1973 and 1974. I thought the point of this post was to argue that Elvis was being hidden out in smaller markets in 1977?

Please keep up. You fail to notice someone mentions touring overseas (i.e. Europe) -- it's copied in my reply.

Thus, I speak to a greater truth about Elvis' concerts in his final decade.

Hope this helps. ;-)

Ok, ok, ok,... but forget about Europe for a tick.

Red Robinson reminded the colonel in 1965 to not forget all the fans in Canada when he decided to go on tour again.
And yet Elvis never returned to Canada.

After the 1973 Aloha show, he never did another show there in Hawaii.
What about Japan? He had lots of fans there.

The colonel never knew balance.

Movies, Lasvegas, the subburbs of the mid 70's.
He basically didn't know how to balance it out and keep Elvis interested.

Elvis himself didn't see the pattern the colonel had created and just let things go in the ditch without any arguement.

If Elvis wanted to tour the world, he would have taken a stand to do so, and if that meant going around the colonel so be it.

But his passiveness set the pattern.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:05 am

sherrlon12 wrote:You know, It's funny but I've never found arrogance and negativity to be enduring traits.

Well, then good luck on getting them out of your system. ;-)

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:It's pretty cool that Elvis played some smaller towns, not all of his fans could afford a trip to New York or Vegas. Would've been nice if his overseas fans had had the same opportunities.

The hell with Paris, Madrid, Prague, Kraków, Rome, Bruges, London, Vienna, Budapest or Copenhagen.
Don't forget Elvis rocked Fresno not once, not twice, but three times!

...and Berlin and Munich and Hamburg..... :wink:

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:29 am

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:Parker booked Elvis very cleverly. The venues were quite huge, but still his artist (or what was left of him) was not in the spotlight of the general public.

You give Parker too much credit. When EP played Chicago or Philly, he was in the spotlight. He played some smaller venues, IMO, because he needed to do more dates in a year than there were big buildings. He was playing some towns, like Chicago or Minneapolis, twice in a year. I think he needed secondary markets because of the grueling schedule he was keeping.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:48 am

Let's face it, by 1976 and 1977, Col Parker appears to simply be trying to make a quick dollar wherever he could with little regard to Elvis' career or health. Thus the numerous concerts and apparent little regard for Elvis' health or well being. In many ways it is too bad Elvis didn't stand up to the Col. To be sure, Elvis was still a large draw and very popular in 1977. But in 1977, and at many points throughout Elvis' career, perhaps Parker should have spent more time "managing" and not "pushing," or manipulating Elvis and getting him into a very unhealthy professional schedule.

rlj