Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: John Lennon-August 16, 1977

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:01 pm

Robt wrote:Dude WTF does this got to do with the original topic ? Too many posts have gone off topic here.

Like yours?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:03 pm

Robt wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:I wonder why Peter Guralnick didn't apreciate Flaming Star in Careless Love. To me is the best Elvis's acting in the 60's far away from Stay Away, Joe, Live a Little, Love a Little, Change of Habit, Trouble with Girls, Kid Galahad, Follow that Dream and even Wild in the Country. The only think I didn't like in the movie was that childish song " A Cane and a High Starched Collar". Without that song and with only the title song sang in credits, it would remain the complete nonsinging serious movie with Elvis Presley

people simply have different tastes.

I know movie critics that give movies that i don't like very good reviews and vice versa.

Peter Guralnick simply didn't like the movie and didn't think Elvis did a good job in it which is his opinion but he does seem to be in the minority.

Flaming Star was and is one of the few Elvis movies that gets good reviews to this day.

I can see Guralnick's point. I dont think Flaming Star holds up as well today as King Creole or Jailhouse Rock. Looking at it again, it is a sort of a cliched western and his acting although not bad, does not show that much range. It is not a classic western in the sense of The Magnificent Seven, The Searchers or a Clint Eastwood western. It is lacking the elements of those films. For Elvis it was a good film, for the masses just an OK film, not a classic. It was certainly a step in the right direction regarding his film career, but it kind of stopped it also. Pity.

Dude WTF does this got to do with the original topic ? Too many posts have gone off topic here.

Good point.

I also dislike it when posters will bring up a random question that has nothing to do with the topic.

I was being polite and went ahead and answered the question anway but WTF does it have to do with topic? Absolutely nothing and that's a travesty.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:06 pm

brian wrote:Good point.

I also dislike it when posters will bring up a random question that has nothing to do with the topic.

I was being polite and went ahead and answered the question anway but WTF does it have to do with topic? Absolutely nothing and that's a travesty.

Try posting on topic instead of bitching -- problem solved! ;-)

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robt wrote:Dude WTF does this got to do with the original topic ? Too many posts have gone off topic here.

Like yours?

Now Johnno, I wasn't meaning to take anyone especially to task but just felt that, what started out as an interesting topic, was becoming somewhat derailed by a number of posts and therefore was getting frustrating to follow. You dig ?!

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:49 pm

God - 2:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jknynk5vny8

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:52 pm

Robt wrote:... I wasn't meaning to take anyone especially to task ...

But you did, and with profanity.

Try posting on topic!

::rocks

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:01 am

F that :evil: . Hey I just want to follow this interseting topic without having to be reading meaningless posts!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:42 am

Elvis was not forced to spend his army time the way he did.

Many other entertainers served their time in Special Services

Which both everly brothers did......

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:39 am

jurasic1968 wrote:I wonder if Jailhouse Rock hasn't that brilliant title song and King Creole also (maybe if these movies were nonmusical completely) how the reaction for these films would be? Flaming Star is the only true nonmusical movie Elvis ever made (excepting, like I sad before, that silly song -A Cane and a High Starched Collar) and his acting is very well. I was very sad when I saw Charro. Comparing to Flaming Star, I considered that all his talent vanished. Same with Stay Away, Joe. So to me Flaming Star is the best movie of 1960-1969 period. Guralnick said it was a comventional western, and Elvis was not too convincing in the role of half breed Pacer Burton. I think Elvis was very, very good.

Ok jurasic1968 - Did u also kno that Charro was a non musical film too with just title track .

[b]Flaming Star had the title track and Britches and Cane And A High Starched Collar And Summer Kisses Winter Tears - in film - I totally agree with ya point and view jurasic 1968 -

Flaming Star was a good film from '60 -

BTW - ''Britches was cut from film - '' so was -
Summer Kisses Winter Tears

http://youtu.be/BaHBhrX_0_Y

[/b]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:53 am

I am very sorry we are not on topic. I am glad the other songs were cut from FS. I only want to say that Flaming star is better (in my opinion) than Charro and Stay Away, Joe.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:20 am

jurasic1968 wrote:I am very sorry we are not on topic. I am glad the other songs were cut from FS. I only want to say that Flaming star is better (in my opinion) than Charro and Stay Away, Joe.

That's OK. Forget it man. But don't do it again ::rocks

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:19 pm

Lennon was an amazingly complex individual; one moment capabl;e of the harshest words, another moment the tenderest of emotions. In terms of artistic creativity in 20th century culture, I rank him right up there with Bob Dylan and Paul Simon from this genre. The Philip Norman book was absolutely a wonderful read of his life story; Yoko complained about it, so you know it had fair balance. Like Simon with Artie, he had a very tight friendship with Paul for many years. Elvis of course had friends throughout, but it seemed never the "one" who could push him harder or pull him back when necessary. Lennon's nod to Elvis by performing Hound Dog at the One-To-One concerts on 8-30-72 show that even in his post-Beatle career, he still loved 50"s Rock & Roll and the one who started it all ...