Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: official EIC release

Mon May 30, 2011 7:40 am

promiseland wrote:Lisa has said "It will never be released"
She owns the tapes and thats that

You sure about that?

Woudn't these tapes be part of the buyout.

That would put them in the hands of New York financiers

Mon May 30, 2011 7:50 am

I have a bootleg copy and that's fine with me, plus I saw it when it originally aired.

Mon May 30, 2011 8:27 am

promiseland wrote:Not a very nice thing to say maby a mod will delete this tasteless comment

It was tounge and cheek. Not meant to be an insult, and I would hope the mods that know my sarcastic nature. I mean it was pure sarcasm, its just that some people want to insult her or EPE (depending on who owns the footage) because they don't want it to see the light of day. I mean if you were the son/daughter of Elvis Presley, would you want that footage to be seen by the public? If it was my dad, I wouldn't.

Again my comments were more of sarcasm than an attack on Lisa Marie. Just in the same vein as TCBFAN and midnightx. And again, if I really cared for my dad and I owned the orginial (sic) CBS tapes - I'd burn them. (Lisa Marie might had more of her mom's influence because she was a young age when Elvis died, but I'm sure she still cared for him.

Mon May 30, 2011 10:37 am

Delboy wrote:
midnightx wrote:You are delusional if you think Easy Come, Easy Go has the same damaging impact that EIC has, and has had since it aired in October 1977.

Right on. As Roy Carr and Mick Farren stated in 'The Illustrated Record', had Elvis lived EIC would have done more irreparable damage to his reputation than a decade of 3rd rate movies.

Actually, had Elvis lived I'm willing to bet he wouldn't have let the concerts be shown on TV and would have had the special and all associated concert footage destroyed.

Mon May 30, 2011 11:35 am

KiwiAlan wrote:

You sure about that?

Woudn't these tapes be part of the buyout.

That would put them in the hands of New York financiers

...not hardly.
There are many stipulations to every deal.
you will never see those first gens for sale.

Mon May 30, 2011 11:58 am

Guess we can consider ourselves lucky that she approves of the '68 Special and Aloha.... Wonder what other material will never see the light of day because she doesn't approve of it.

Mon May 30, 2011 2:53 pm

It doesnt matter if it never comes out officially as the footage is widely available to fans if they want it that bad. There is not much more can be done with this footage so Im happy with the Final Curtain quality and that will do.

Mon May 30, 2011 3:57 pm

fg76 wrote:...It was tounge and cheek.

Can it be both? Methinks you meant tongue-in-cheek.

Sorry, that's one of my favorite phrases, and I hate to see it get all chopped up.

Mon May 30, 2011 11:53 pm

Mister Mike wrote:

Guess we can consider ourselves lucky that she approves of the '68 Special and Aloha...

We sure are.

LMFP knows when her dad was on his game, and is doing her best to keep it that way.

Tue May 31, 2011 12:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:

Guess we can consider ourselves lucky that she approves of the '68 Special and Aloha...

We sure are.

LMFP knows when her dad was on his game, and is doing her best to keep it that way.

If she really knew or cared about when her dad was on his game, she would've purchased the rights to the Dorsey & Berle shows years ago, had them restored, and released!

Tue May 31, 2011 12:19 am

chevyford wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:LMFP knows when her dad was on his game, and is doing her best to keep it that way.

If she really knew or cared about when her dad was on his game, she would've purchased the rights to the Dorsey & Berle shows years ago, had them restored, and released!

How do you know whether the rights are available for purchase? You don't.

It is a fact that Jackie Gleason Enterprises, which owns "Stage Show," has no interest in allowing restoration and re-release of Elvis' 1956 appearances.

Tue May 31, 2011 12:39 am

BrianTCB wrote:
Delboy wrote:
midnightx wrote:You are delusional if you think Easy Come, Easy Go has the same damaging impact that EIC has, and has had since it aired in October 1977.

Right on. As Roy Carr and Mick Farren stated in 'The Illustrated Record', had Elvis lived EIC would have done more irreparable damage to his reputation than a decade of 3rd rate movies.

Actually, had Elvis lived I'm willing to bet he wouldn't have let the concerts be shown on TV and would have had the special and all associated concert footage destroyed.

Doubtful. There has never been any indication that Elvis had a clause in the CBS contract that would allow him to stop the television presentation if he was not happy with the finished product. Elvis and Tom Parker had been paid over $750,000 to provide Elvis' personal appearance services. Essentially, they had fulfilled their end of the bargain. If anything, Tom Parker could have attempted to work with CBS to film additional performances had Elvis been that unsatisfied with his work. But, the fact that Elvis had no interest in viewing the working tapes sent to him during July 1977 says it all - he didn't care about EIC. It also speaks volumes about his incompetent management representation that they would allow the CBS Special to move ahead without any attempt at working with CBS to capture additional, more flattering and professional footage from later in the fall in an attempt to protect their star client from the ridicule that would clearly follow a national television presentation of the special.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
chevyford wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:LMFP knows when her dad was on his game, and is doing her best to keep it that way.

How do you know whether the rights are available for purchase? You don't.

Bingo. That sort of rhetoric gets old. Not everything is for sale, not everything has a price.

Tue May 31, 2011 2:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: How do you know whether the rights are available for purchase? You don't.

I do know that money talks.

drjohncarpenter wrote: It is a fact that Jackie Gleason Enterprises, which owns "Stage Show," has no interest in allowing restoration and re-release of Elvis' 1956 appearances.

Of course not. Not at their expense.

Tue May 31, 2011 2:30 am

chevyford wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: It is a fact that Jackie Gleason Enterprises, which owns "Stage Show," has no interest in allowing restoration and re-release of Elvis' 1956 appearances.

Of course not. Not at their expense.

It has nothing to do with who pays. The idea is not open to discussion by JGE. I hope that makes the point clear.

It has nothing to do with what EPE, LMFP or LFVI might want to do.

Tue May 31, 2011 2:56 am

musicfan56 wrote:The doc means I think, it don't matter if lisa or epe or open to buying and restoring the shows, the fact is Jacky Gleason Enterprises, its not open for discussion. whether epe wanted to or not.
Which is sad, they are probably some of the greatest moments of rock n roll when Elvis appeared on the show.

*edit, Dr john carpenter made the point crystal clear.

musicfan56,
What's really "crystal clear" is how illiterate you are.

As I wrote in my previous post - .... money talks.

Tue May 31, 2011 3:04 am

chevyford wrote:As I wrote in my previous post - .... money talks.

Not always.

Tue May 31, 2011 3:27 am

Mister Mike wrote:

Guess we can consider ourselves lucky that she approves of the '68 Special and Aloha.... Wonder what other material will never see the light of day because she doesn't approve of it.

These were a challenge to Elvis not a sad period in his life trying to make ends meet as with EIC .
I own several copies of the CBS footages because I am a collector , but I do not enjoy watching these .
I agree 100% this is not something that should be sold to non-collectors for their enjoyment of ridicule.

Tue May 31, 2011 4:49 am

chevyford wrote:
musicfan56 wrote:The doc means I think, it don't matter if lisa or epe or open to buying and restoring the shows, the fact is Jacky Gleason Enterprises, its not open for discussion. whether epe wanted to or not.
Which is sad, they are probably some of the greatest moments of rock n roll when Elvis appeared on the show.

*edit, Dr john carpenter made the point crystal clear.

musicfan56,
What's really "crystal clear" is how illiterate you are.

As I wrote in my previous post - .... money talks.

Stop being an ass. At least musicfan56 can read. You have yet to cross that bridge.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:49 am

I rewatched some of the footage on youtube today. Outside of wanting to hear the real ending to June 21, I really hope this footage never sees the light of day - unless its heavily edited.

On that note, I'm going to start yet another EIC thread, but its more about the different footages that first hit the market back in 2000-01. Not about the show itself.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:36 am

It's true that Elvis saw the tapes of Omaha and Rapid City? Or the tapes were send to him by CBS and he was not interested to see them? Or CBS planned to film him more in August 1977 tour? Too many questions, maybe on a subject discussed many time before but this is like a puzzle with something missing.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:22 am

voldto wrote:
promiseland wrote:Most people know it and make fun of it. A well thought out plan how to show all sides and the decline from 1968 to 1977 would remove some of the myths and foundation for jokes about fat elvis in a jumpsuit could be diminished.

So true.
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
voldto wrote: A well thought out plan how to show all sides and the decline from 1968 to 1977 would remove some of the myths and foundation for jokes about fat elvis in a jumpsuit could be diminished.

I doubt it.

Clips such as Are You Lonesome Tonight are on youtube as "Elvis drunk on stage" etc.

Is that clip a part of some 'well thought out plan'?
midnightx wrote:She has a lot of nerve. Why in the world would anyone go to such lengths to protect a parent's image and legacy?

Do you protect a parent's already ruined image by doing nothing?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:50 am

jurasic1968 wrote: Too many questions,

You're right.

jurasic1968 wrote:... maybe on a subject discussed many time before but this is like a puzzle with something missing.

Seriously, Elvis' give-a-damn was missing, and now he's missing, and we miss him, and have missed him for over 35 years now.