Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Ernst and his editing

Sun May 04, 2003 8:14 pm

Here is a topic that just came up on another thread. What I want to know is does anybody really care about this or do you all want the un-edited versions. there is way too much fading in and out of certain performances. Someone suggested that Ernst would'nt do this if it wasn't necessary. I disagree, because the release of bootlegs confirms the cutting that is going on, just so he can later re-release a full version. Perhaps in some cases a tape is damaged and such, but most of time it is his vision of a listenable album. This only works so far. the FTD label is supposed to be a collectors label, geared towards collectors, and collectors want the full version. Then why is there so much cutting of performances on FTD cd's? there is probably so much that is edited that we don't know about because is has never been bootlegged.

Sun May 04, 2003 8:26 pm

My reply on the “I’m Beginning To Forget You” thread related to the home recordings only. I think Ernst tries to make RCA/BMG’s and FTD’s releases as entertaining as possible. During a particular session Elvis could make an amusing comment or sing one line of a song, but this could happen before the breakdown of a take, or an inferior take to the one they want to use on a particular album. As BMG don’t operate a policy of releasing complete sessions, they edit these recordings together to make each release as interesting, and as strong as possible.

As far as fading out is concerned I would assume that this is done because a performance is either incomplete or coming to the end (as was the case with the original masters). Here Ernst can either fade the track, or wait until the whole thing breaks down and the engineer shouts, “cut”. Personally, I don’t think it’s essential that we need to hear this on every song BMG release, but I’m sure there are others who will disagree.