Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: the song i'm leavin

Fri May 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Lexie1973 wrote:I don't know who that drummer is...

It was Kenneth Buttrey on drums.

I like the arrangement, but while appreciating that there is some "acting" in Elvis' performance to suit the lyric, I do tend to wish for a steadier and stronger vocal. A more in form Elvis would have elevated this from a good track to an excellent track.

Fri May 27, 2011 6:50 pm

I always loved this song and always will, one of my favourites from the '70 era
I have the original '45.. and when i bought the '70 5 CDs Box in 1995 , i played this track lots of times, great quality sound on that Box set
I also love the intro with the acustic guitar and all...gives mystic feeling....
the song was written about a girl from Portland ( i think...) ..... true story...
5 stars to this song from me
Sincerely
Lior

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:46 pm

I really love the song.... I love it so much...

I made a mix from the song... this is a small section... Enjoy!

http://strutmut.net/mp3/Im_Leaving_mix_strutmut.mp3

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:37 pm

Personally, I never really cared for this song
all that much until I saw this video.
phpBB [video]

Seeing Elvis actually sing the song, made the world of difference for me.
Here's another version where you can see a little more of the footage
when Elvis was filmed singing the song live in concert.
phpBB [video]

For the curious, here is the song writer Michael Jarrett filmed
singing the song in 2009.
phpBB [video]

PEP 8)

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:45 pm

Like another reviewer sad: half of this is good, half is pure schmaltz (la la la section). So it's a mediocre song at best and very far from the contemporary music of 1971. From november 1970 (You Don't Have to Say you Love Me- number 11) until Burning Love (August 1972, number 2) Elvis did not reach the top 30 of American Bilboard hot hundred. So I'm Leavin' it's just another over the top ballad which remained in history a footnote and a schmaltz song.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:16 pm

Julian Grant wrote:Ed Parker’s favourite Elvis song and I definitely appreciate it, loving live versions also.

Elvis is so much in to this song; I’ve always found it to be a very mature and artistic approach by him actually, he his clearly vowing to delivery a certain feel which he really certainly does accomplish. It’s unfortunate that others didn’t follow his vision on this as it would have encouraged further creativity from him.

Your picture of the single cover might go some way as to why Elvis singles didn't "take off" in the 1970s. How insipid a picture sleeve can you possible get? It fails to reflect the contents of the music inside or the fact that this was Elvis trying a song that was just a little different. I have to say that I am unable to agree with Midnight's view of the song - and certainly not his linking of it with the grandiose It's Midnight. I'm Leavin' is a song without an immediately-recognised pop music structure, and the stop-start arrangement is part of what separates it from the crowd. Around this time, Elvis was moving into the safe ground of using songs with big choruses that instantly hook the listener (for better or worse) - such as I've Lost You, Mountain, We Can Make The Morning etc. I'm Leavin' is very much the opposite of that; it always seems to me to be something of an esoteric pop song, if such a thing can exist.

As for Presley's performance, well it shows that even during these rather strange sessions, he could still put in an exquisite vocal when he was totally engaged with the material as he was here. Quite how something like this can come out of the same sessions that produced such inadequate recordings as The First Noel and Winter Wonderland is anybody's guess. Here we have yet another example of how Elvis was only ever totally and utterly engaged and working to full potential when he was being stretched - for the majority of the rest of the time he seems to have been more than willing to just do his job and go home.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:48 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Julian Grant wrote:Ed Parker’s favourite Elvis song and I definitely appreciate it, loving live versions also.

Elvis is so much in to this song; I’ve always found it to be a very mature and artistic approach by him actually, he his clearly vowing to delivery a certain feel which he really certainly does accomplish. It’s unfortunate that others didn’t follow his vision on this as it would have encouraged further creativity from him.

Your picture of the single cover might go some way as to why Elvis singles didn't "take off" in the 1970s. How insipid a picture sleeve can you possible get? It fails to reflect the contents of the music inside or the fact that this was Elvis trying a song that was just a little different. I have to say that I am unable to agree with Midnight's view of the song - and certainly not his linking of it with the grandiose It's Midnight. I'm Leavin' is a song without an immediately-recognised pop music structure, and the stop-start arrangement is part of what separates it from the crowd. Around this time, Elvis was moving into the safe ground of using songs with big choruses that instantly hook the listener (for better or worse) - such as I've Lost You, Mountain, We Can Make The Morning etc. I'm Leavin' is very much the opposite of that; it always seems to me to be something of an esoteric pop song, if such a thing can exist.

As for Presley's performance, well it shows that even during these rather strange sessions, he could still put in an exquisite vocal when he was totally engaged with the material as he was here. Quite how something like this can come out of the same sessions that produced such inadequate recordings as The First Noel and Winter Wonderland is anybody's guess. Here we have yet another example of how Elvis was only ever totally and utterly engaged and working to full potential when he was being stretched - for the majority of the rest of the time he seems to have been more than willing to just do his job and go home.

Excellent post !!!

Even Elvis himselvis states after one breakdown of the takes, "At least it's worth working on ..."

It's all subjective, but in this instance, "I'm Leavin'" is not one of your average Elvis Presley songs and remains , at least for me, one of the his finest records of the 1970's.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:53 pm

good song well sung. It was a top 30 hit in Britain.It was also a welcome addition to the superb 1980 Silver box set.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:13 pm

I never saw the fascination with this song. To me, it is long & boring and going nowhere, much like 1971 in general was for Elvis. This was a era where 'soft rock' was ruling the charts like James Taylor & Carole King, and this song still couldnt catch on. I think that says it all. La-La-La.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:38 pm

minkahed wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Excellent post !!!

Even Elvis himselvis states after one breakdown of the takes, "At least it's worth working on ..."

It's all subjective, but in this instance, "I'm Leavin'" is not one of your average Elvis Presley songs and remains , at least for me, one of the his finest records of the 1970's.

I think the most wonderful thing about it is the fact that in a session that included such recordings as Padre, Love Me Love The Life and others, I'm Leavin' showed that Elvis did still have some musical integrity.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:09 pm

kevinstevenage wrote:quite a good song superbly sung by Elvis. His delivery is perfect for the material. should have been a top ten hit. For me, the same is true of Kentucky Rain. A good song superbly sung and yet it stalled in the 20's (in Britain). I thought that was a number one .

+ 1

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:53 pm

I always found the La la la section to be sarcastic and kind of like it,almost suicidal or like he's giivng up,like he doesn't care anymore,that's what's so cool about it.I can picture Trent Reznor or Kurt Cobain doing something similar..i wish someone would do a modern day remix of it because I think the younger crowd would get into it since they like dark depressing stuff..

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:47 pm

A great song! I read somewhere it didnt get much airplay in America. Is that the reason it wasnt a big hit?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:55 am

chevyford wrote:
david57 wrote:.... i think it is very underrated and i think it should have been a big hit in the 70s.

Obviously the fans and general public thought otherwise in 1971.
The song (for single release) was actually a letdown compared to what had been released by RCA the previous two years.
As a whole, 1971 slowed the momentum that Elvis Presley had built up in 1968 - '70.

Excellent and accurate observations, chevyford.
p.s. - Why have you stopped posting? Hopefully you're still looking in from time to time!

jurasic1968 wrote:... it's a mediocre song at best and very far from the contemporary music of 1971...
Elvis did not reach the top 30 of American Billboard hot hundred. So I'm Leavin' it's just another over the top ballad which remained in history a footnote and a schmaltz song.

Excellent and accurate observations, jurasic1968.

r&b wrote:I never saw the fascination with this song. To me, it is long & boring and going nowhere, much like 1971 in general was for Elvis. This was a era where 'soft rock' was ruling the charts like James Taylor & Carole King, and this song still couldnt catch on. I think that says it all. La-La-La.

Excellent and accurate observations, r&b.

TheMaskedClown wrote:I read somewhere it didnt get much airplay in America. Is that the reason it wasnt a big hit?

Hopefully that was the reason... the DJ's probably didn't want their listeners turning off the radio or changing the station.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:39 am

ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:It's not the type of song the public would expect from Elvis Presley.

Please....it isn't some major departure from the stylistic and production approach found on a number of Presley cuts from the era. Two years later, the schmaltz of It's Midnight echoes the arrangement and song structure. No doubt it is a strong cut from the odd '71 sessions, but its potential is unrealized.

It is different.

It was to me back in 1976, and still today, it has a totally different feel to it.

It has nothing in common with, "It's midnight".

No, it wasn't number one, but I don't think just because it wasn't a popular piece of material,
makes it any weaker.

Chart position doesn't always equal quality.

You are 100% correct!

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:18 am

"I'm Leavin'" easily falls into Elvis' top twenty best studio songs of the '70s. He is fully committed to the material, the lyrics in particular clearly striking a chord, and the intriguing arrangement and haunting melody should have captured radio ears from coast-to-coast.

Perhaps the tune's Achilles' heel is a somewhat cliched chorus, but there's really nothing else in the '70s catalog that sounds quite like "I'm Leavin'" and it's a shame Elvis didn't approach every excellent song in this era with the same ambition and dedication.

It's further worth noting that Presley did not let the song go after its modest chart run in 1971. Elvis offered renditions all the way up to December 1975, and mainly because he wanted to sing it.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:"I'm Leavin'" easily falls into Elvis' top twenty best studio songs of the '70s. He is fully committed to the material, the lyrics in particular clearly striking a chord, and the intriguing arrangement and haunting melody should have captured radio ears from coast-to-coast.

Perhaps the tune's Achilles' heel is a somewhat cliched chorus, but there's really nothing else in the '70s catalog that sounds quite like "I'm Leavin'" and it's a shame Elvis didn't approach every excellent song in this era with the same ambition and dedication.

It's further worth noting that Presley did not let the song go after its modest chart run in 1971. Elvis offered renditions all the way up to December 1975, and mainly because he wanted to sing it.

So right! What a cool song.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:24 am

Could you picture how good this song would have done if it had a small quiet performance video to go with it?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:27 am

Mike Eder wrote:Could you picture how good this song would have done if it had a small quiet performance video to go with it?

How cool would that have been!! OMG!!!!

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:17 pm

A good song and performance,i like it

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:38 pm

minkahed wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Excellent post !!!

Yes an insipid pic cover for the time., RCA still in the the TTWII spotlight which had faded.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:42 pm

Slightly above average, nothing more.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:16 pm

daylon wrote:Slightly above average, nothing more.

You are 101% correct, sir!