Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

the song i'm leavin

Mon May 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Hey guys this is one of my favorite elvis songs from the 70s and i think it is very underrated and i think it should have [youtube]been a big hit in the 70s.

phpBB [video]

Last edited by david57 on Mon May 23, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: the song i'm leavin

Mon May 23, 2011 9:37 pm

I agree...

Mon May 23, 2011 9:46 pm

I agree, also. To me, that intro to the song is so haunting that it sends chills up my spine.....

Mon May 23, 2011 9:57 pm

Tony Trout wrote:I agree, also. To me, that intro to the song is so haunting that it sends chills up my spine.....

You are correct again Tony. :)

Man, you are on a roll!! :lol:

::rocks :smt006

Mon May 23, 2011 10:01 pm

I disagree. I'm Leavin' has potential, but it isn't realized because of the broken-up arrangement, production, and semi-weak vocal.

Mon May 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Half of the song is gorgeous and unlike anything else Elvis recorded. The other half is as bad as any soundtrack song from the 60s.

Mon May 23, 2011 10:34 pm

elvisjock wrote:Half of the song is gorgeous and unlike anything else Elvis recorded. The other half is as bad as any soundtrack song from the 60s.

Another way of putting it.

Mon May 23, 2011 10:59 pm

good song but he shouldnt have sing "la la la" :|

Mon May 23, 2011 11:05 pm

I like the track, but find it somewhat overrated.

Can't see why people are baffled this wasn't a monster hit.

Mon May 23, 2011 11:16 pm

Love it!!

Mon May 23, 2011 11:54 pm

he sounds so sad in the song like he's on the verge of tears..I like that about it..that makes it more intense..kind of reminds me of JC's "weak" voice on the song "Hurt" just before he died, very vulnerable and eerie..

Tue May 24, 2011 12:00 am

Always thought the "living from day to day...chasing a dream..." part was a rather awkward (and shmaltzy) section of an otherwise modern sounding track.

Tue May 24, 2011 1:15 am

londonflash wrote:Can't see why people are baffled this wasn't a monster hit.

Ah, the life and times of Elvis Presley fans....

Tue May 24, 2011 2:02 am

"Feelin' fast vibrations and I just can't take it." That's right up there with, "Woke up this morning, and I tried to call you."

Tue May 24, 2011 2:16 am

This song was discussed at great length back in January. Sorry, I don't know how to post the link to that discussion (but it's easily found by doing a search.)

Tue May 24, 2011 2:23 am

david57 wrote:.... i think it is very underrated and i think it should have been a big hit in the 70s.

Obviously the fans and general public thought otherwise in 1971.

The song (for single release) was actually a letdown compared to what had been released by RCA the previous two years.
As a whole, 1971 slowed the momentum that Elvis Presley had built up in 1968 - '70.

Jim

Tue May 24, 2011 2:35 am

I think it should be one of his best known songs. Personally I find it perfect.

Tue May 24, 2011 3:30 am

Agreed...momentum was certainly slowed this year, though burning love would help in 72.

chevyford wrote:
david57 wrote:.... i think it is very underrated and i think it should have been a big hit in the 70s.

Obviously the fans and general public thought otherwise in 1971.

The song (for single release) was actually a letdown compared to what had been released by RCA the previous two years.
As a whole, 1971 slowed the momentum that Elvis Presley had built up in 1968 - '70.

Jim

Tue May 24, 2011 3:48 am

In 1971, Elvis showed a true, deep level of commitment to his art, and offered a brilliant vocal, on only a handful of studio recordings.

"I'm Leavin'" is one of those magical numbers, regardless of how silly the bridge may sound.

Proper promotion, coupled with a more coherent and respectable release schedule that year, would have meant a Top 10 hit for sure. This was not the path followed by the artist and his management.

Tue May 24, 2011 4:34 am

midnightx wrote:I disagree. I'm Leavin' has potential, but it isn't realized because of the broken-up arrangement, production, and semi-weak vocal.

What? I bought this on 45 in 1976 and played it to death.

What a great haunting song. Unlike anything Elvis had ever done before.

The song is different and the bridge is different.

That's what makes it so good. It's not a cookie cutter arrangement.

It's not the type of song the public would expect from Elvis Presley.

Not every song can be a number one like "my ding a ling".

Tue May 24, 2011 5:19 am

ekenee wrote:It's not the type of song the public would expect from Elvis Presley.

Please....it isn't some major departure from the stylistic and production approach found on a number of Presley cuts from the era. Two years later, the schmaltz of It's Midnight echoes the arrangement and song structure. No doubt it is a strong cut from the odd '71 sessions, but its potential is unrealized.

Tue May 24, 2011 6:13 am

midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:It's not the type of song the public would expect from Elvis Presley.

Please....it isn't some major departure from the stylistic and production approach found on a number of Presley cuts from the era. Two years later, the schmaltz of It's Midnight echoes the arrangement and song structure. No doubt it is a strong cut from the odd '71 sessions, but its potential is unrealized.

It is different.

It was to me back in 1976, and still today, it has a totally different feel to it.

It has nothing in common with, "It's midnight".

No, it wasn't number one, but I don't think just because it wasn't a popular piece of material,
makes it any weaker.

Chart position doesn't always equal quality.

Tue May 24, 2011 6:14 am

Ed Parker’s favourite Elvis song and I definitely appreciate it, loving live versions also.

Elvis is so much in to this song; I’ve always found it to be a very mature and artistic approach by him actually, he his clearly vowing to delivery a certain feel which he really certainly does accomplish. It’s unfortunate that others didn’t follow his vision on this as it would have encouraged further creativity from him.

Tue May 24, 2011 6:25 am

I didn't know it was Ed's favorite! Mine varies but this never leaves my top ten. Actually I have read in several different books what a departure it was for Elvis. I think it was too. You can argue that Elvis cut a number of nice folk influenced tunes at the time, but as a single he hadn't done anything quite like it. I remember reading a long single by single review of Elvis in Goldmine in around 1997. The reviewer (whose name escapes me for the moment but he does post here once in a while) mentioned he thought it was Roy Orbison for a few moments.

Tue May 24, 2011 8:25 am

Julian Grant wrote:Elvis is so much in to this song; I’ve always found it to be a very mature and artistic approach by him actually, he his clearly vowing to delivery a certain feel which he really certainly does accomplish. It’s unfortunate that others didn’t follow his vision on this as it would have encouraged further creativity from him.

The subdued vocal is not a departure from most of the material cut during the '71 sessions. It isn't a conscious attempt at delivering a specific vocal for that particular track -- the same execution is found on the majority of the studio tracks from the sessions. That isn't to say the vocal doesn't suit the song or arrangement, but let's not overstate Elvis' vocal execution as being some artistic, visionary approach dedicated in making I'm Leaving unique and convincing.