Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: One great collection

Mon May 23, 2011 7:16 pm

I don't recall the Flame Suit (of which there were two, nearly identical, costumes) ever being sold at auction. Wonder how it made its way to Ms. Mozart?

Mon May 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Mike C wrote: What's the name of the jumpsuit on the far right of the pic?

The picture on the far right is the "Stars & Planet Suit w/ Cape"
Elvis of course, wore the suit in 1972.
elvisjock wrote:I don't recall the Flame Suit (of which there were two, nearly identical, costumes) ever being sold at auction. Wonder how it made its way to Ms. Mozart?

The story I heard a number of years ago, Mrs Mozart & her Husband were in pocession of the "If I can Dream Suit", they made a deal for trade & money with EPE.
Personally I do not know how true the story is, or if it is true at all.

Maybe she could explain the real story to James to pass it on to us. :wink:

PEP 8)

Tue May 24, 2011 9:56 am

Hmmmmm ......

Tue May 24, 2011 3:33 pm

Davide had this picture in his David B. Hecht 56 publicity photo thread

I believe that's one Heather referred to as owning and is on the right in PEP's photo

Tue May 24, 2011 6:09 pm

If I had that kind of money that I could buy such an iconic shirt(s) (or guitars or whatever), I would have taken better care of it! You don't hang priceless shirts on a mannequin in the open ?!? it catches dust, damp and eventually it will deteriorate ... such a shame, it should be sealed behind museum glass ... :cry: (but WHAT a beautiful collection !!)

Tue May 24, 2011 8:33 pm

Heather was wondering if anyone has any info on these Elvis Marquee heads or know of a photo of the JHR one in use?

She said:
I've owned them for years and I could never find a photo of The JHR head, there must be some photo of it out there somewhere. It was found stored in a barn (really!) somewhere in Tenn. about 15 years ago or so. The back is marked MGM in what appears to be white chalk.

The LMT was purchased off of Ebay (I think)and the person who sold it had the 2 photographs as well. I never received any additional info.

Maybe some fans from Elvis CD collectors can be of help. I am new to the website but truly amazed and impressed by the knowledge shared , very COOL!

Below is the the LMT one in use

Tue May 24, 2011 11:10 pm

Hey Pep,
as far as Ms Mozart acquiring the flame sit as everyone knows their were two identical version with the exception of the color of the inverted kick pleats. At the time the deal was done Greg Howell was still in the archival department. He brokered a deal with self proclaimed Elvis expert John Heath.( which much of the cash went into Heath's pocket) and made the deal so the flame suit could be acquired. This in fact went on for quite some time on various levels...with several collectors., John Heath making the deals and making money on each transaction.
This practice was soon stopped.

Wed May 25, 2011 4:41 am

Do we know if Elvis actually wore both suits in concert? He used the flame costume on only a handful of occasions.

Wed May 25, 2011 7:09 pm

elvisjock wrote:Do we know if Elvis actually wore both suits in concert? He used the flame costume on only a handful of occasions.

This suit definitely appears to have been worn. Without removing it from the mannequin there are visible sweat stains on both inside sleeves, inside the chest area near the zipper and light dirt wear at the bottom of legs. This suit has the RED kick pleat inserts. Consistent wear similar to the other suits in the collection.
Has anyone seen photos of Elvis wearing the Flame suit besides the South bend or Dayton, Oh. '76 shows?

Thu May 26, 2011 7:27 am

Edited.
Last edited by Rock Legend on Thu May 26, 2011 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 26, 2011 8:28 am

Graceland-West wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Do we know if Elvis actually wore both suits in concert? He used the flame costume on only a handful of occasions.

This suit definitely appears to have been worn. Without removing it from the mannequin there are visible sweat stains on both inside sleeves, inside the chest area near the zipper and light dirt wear at the bottom of legs. This suit has the RED kick pleat inserts. Consistent wear similar to the other suits in the collection.
Going by what I have read & heard
Elvis could have used the "Red Kick Pleat" version while performing in Lake Tahoe in May of 1973. However, No pictures have come forward to confirm this as of yet. But, with the suggestion there appears to be wear on the "Red Kick Pleat" version in private hands, does suggest this could very well be the first version and if so also the smaller version in measurement. which would be very cool.

Has anyone seen photos of Elvis wearing the Flame suit besides the South bend or Dayton, Oh. '76 shows?
It would appear Elvis only wore the "Orange Kick Pleat version" the two times only.
It was suggested by EPE, Elvis wore the suit 3 times in concert.
Duluth October 16th 1976 being the 1st time, South bend October 20th 1976 being the 2nd time and Dayton October 26th 1976 the 3rd time.
However it has been confirmed by the "Elvis Presley In Concert" website site.
http://www.elvisconcerts.com/pictures/c761016.htm
Elvis did not wear the "Flame suit" on October 16th 1976,
Elvis instead wore Tthe Black on White Phoenix suit" for this date.
PEP 8)

Thu May 26, 2011 3:21 pm

Sean Shaver, in one of his books, stated that Elvis "hated" the suit and wore it only four times. Odd that he had two. Did Belew think this outfit would be a favorite?
Last edited by elvisjock on Fri May 27, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 26, 2011 6:35 pm

It's a matter of Time wrote:Hey Pep,
as far as Ms Mozart acquiring the flame sit as everyone knows their were two identical version with the exception of the color of the inverted kick pleats. At the time the deal was done Greg Howell was still in the archival department. He brokered a deal with self proclaimed Elvis expert John Heath.( which much of the cash went into Heath's pocket) and made the deal so the flame suit could be acquired. This in fact went on for quite some time on various levels...with several collectors., John Heath making the deals and making money on each transaction.

What actually happened is that John bought the If I Can Dream Suit, and traded it to Graceland for two jumpsuits. One of which is the Flame suit that Heather has. John still has the other one.

Thu May 26, 2011 6:56 pm

thecolonel wrote:
It's a matter of Time wrote:Hey Pep,

What actually happened is that John bought the If I Can Dream Suit, and traded it to Graceland for two jumpsuits. One of which is the Flame suit that Heather has. John still has the other one.

This is correct, the second suit was the white prehistoric bird with the blue sleeves.

Fri May 27, 2011 12:01 am

thecolonel wrote:What actually happened is that John bought the If I Can Dream Suit, and traded it to Graceland for two jumpsuits. One of which is the Flame suit that Heather has. John still has the other one.

Thank you, its been a while .....I've heard that one too.
But I think you nailed it on the head. :wink:
PEP 8)

Fri May 27, 2011 12:08 pm

elvisjock wrote:Sean Shaved, in one of his books, stated that Elvis "hated" the suit and wore it only four times. Odd that he had two. Did Belew think this outfit would be a favorite?

He's not the only one who hates it.

BTW, that leather suit in the picture
above even makes the mannequin look
fat.

Tue May 31, 2011 7:36 pm

With respect to the Jailhouse Rock Marquee.
I could not find a picture on the net or in any Elvis books...
which is odd,since Jailhouse Rock, had its world premiere at the
Loews State Theatre in Memphis, TN. One would think there should
be something available to see.
One thing I did find and I think it should be mentioned, ironically the same
picture appears to have been used for the VHS cover art in various forms.
It would be great if someone else had more information of this one. :wink:
phpBB [video]

PEP 8)