Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Mon May 16, 2011 11:41 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Alexander wrote:
midnightx wrote:EOT is great for what it is. TTWII is highlights Elvis at the height of his powers. Sadly, it was never this good again.


Completely agree. Although Bridge Over Troubled Water from Greensboro (EOT) is superior to any of the 1970 versions.

Not in a million years. His singing in the summer of 1970 is sublime.


Rubbish Doc! The Greensboro performance from EOT is superb and blows away anything before or after......go give it a spin then play TTWII version....no contest

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Mon May 16, 2011 11:46 pm

He obviously looks better in TTWII, but few would argue against On Tour being the better film.
Equally, portions of the Hampton Roads gig, at the very least, are on a par with anything that appeared in the final edit of TTWII.
But both have their merits and should be cherished.
Last edited by elvisalisellers on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Tue May 17, 2011 12:01 am

kelvin wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Alexander wrote:
midnightx wrote:EOT is great for what it is. TTWII is highlights Elvis at the height of his powers. Sadly, it was never this good again.


Completely agree. Although Bridge Over Troubled Water from Greensboro (EOT) is superior to any of the 1970 versions.

Not in a million years. His singing in the summer of 1970 is sublime.


Rubbish Doc! The Greensboro performance from EOT is superb and blows away anything before or after......go give it a spin then play TTWII version....no contest

Elvis may nail Bridge in Greensboro (although it certainly isn't superior to the August 1970 renditions), but Bridge is only one track and not even what makes TTWII is so special. EOT certainly has highlights, but it isn't as strong as TTWII on any level.

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Tue May 17, 2011 12:14 am

Eot has a more exciting presentation with the handheld cameras vs the 3 camera setup. Otherwise, TTWII is superior, especially on dvd when you can skip the old ladies and weirdo fans...

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Tue May 17, 2011 12:17 am

kelvin wrote:Rubbish Doc! The Greensboro performance from EOT is superb and blows away anything before or after......go give it a spin then play TTWII version....no contest

Glad you enjoy that performance, and I'm not saying it is without merit.

However, in the summer of 1970 Elvis voice was in better shape, and there is a greater soulfulness and subtlety to the performances. That's why they are superior. The song should not be all about power and bombast. But, by 1972, this was part of the show (off).

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Tue May 17, 2011 3:04 am

Gotta agree with the doc on Bridge. TTWII version is about a hundrfed times superior to On Tour.

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Tue May 17, 2011 3:26 am

My preference is Elvis On Tour. I love many of those shows from the spring and summer of '72.

That's The Way It Is is superb without a doubt, but sadly it features no Jackie Kahane performances.

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Tue May 17, 2011 3:41 am

Bridge in Greensboro was terrific - an emotionally strong, vibrant and soaring version of the song. But the version found on T.T.W.I.I. is better sung through superior phasing and breath control alone. It's sublime rendition of a brilliant song and a highlight of the film.

Between T.T.W.I.I. and On Tour, I prefer the former - it's shot on better stock, Elvis looked better, sang better and was on peak form. On Tour was very good - the tour aspect, montages and many top-notch performances, but T.T.W.I.I. has a keener vibrancy, I.M.O., and more true highlights.

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Tue May 17, 2011 4:57 am

Rob wrote:My preference is Elvis On Tour. I love many of those shows from the spring and summer of '72.

That's The Way It Is is superb without a doubt, but sadly it features no Jackie Kahane performances.

But it does contain those two hags with the cat.

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Tue May 17, 2011 5:28 am

I like EOT a lot as a fan of Elvis. However, if I was going to show one of these to a non fan or somebody I wanted to sway into being a fan, I would choose TTWII. He is still in his prime at this point. He fell out of that prime on his way to making EOT.

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Tue May 17, 2011 7:44 am

As documentaries, both movies fullfill their goal: one showing Elvis as a master showman in Vegas, the other showing the hectic life of a performer on tour. Deciding which of the two is a more intertaining watch depends a lot on how one views the Elvis of the period, in which case TTWII wins with a performer at the top of his art. However one can't help but feel a little sad watching him work so hard to perform in what would become his velvet prison (Vegas).

elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Tue May 17, 2011 7:50 am

midnightx wrote:
Rob wrote:My preference is Elvis On Tour. I love many of those shows from the spring and summer of '72.

That's The Way It Is is superb without a doubt, but sadly it features no Jackie Kahane performances.

But it does contain those two hags with the cat.


They weren't that bad looking, if you're talking about the young two sisters.

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Tue May 17, 2011 11:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
kelvin wrote:Rubbish Doc! The Greensboro performance from EOT is superb and blows away anything before or after......go give it a spin then play TTWII version....no contest

Glad you enjoy that performance, and I'm not saying it is without merit.

However, in the summer of 1970 Elvis voice was in better shape, and there is a greater soulfulness and subtlety to the performances. That's why they are superior. The song should not be all about power and bombast. But, by 1972, this was part of the show (off).


Point taken Doc! :)

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Tue May 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Robert wrote:Although Elvis looked better in 1970, tanned and healthy, I prefer On Tour as a movie.

That I agree with. I have always felt EOT is a more compelling film. Particularly now with that kick ass Don't Be Cruel intro.

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Wed May 18, 2011 2:03 am

TTWIS with the EOT material.

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Wed May 18, 2011 2:34 am

The great shame about EOT is the producers had 45 minutes of interview time with the man himself and they used about 15 seconds of it in the intro. They could have used it to have Elvis himself narrate his story plus the footage...oh well! They are both enjoyable, though as I said EOT has a better presentation. 1970 Elvis is so close to his peak it is hard to top.

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Wed May 18, 2011 7:41 am

Definitely TTWII.

Funny how the Bridge topic does keep cropping up and how people hear different things. For me it's the August 1970 version all the way. It's not even close. There's just better overall tone and control on the 1970 version, but also the power when needed. The later version has the power when called upon, but is weaker in the other areas. Still good, but not as good. Try playing the first verse of each, back to back, and the difference is clear. Even the one line "When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all" will do it.

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Wed May 18, 2011 7:42 am

bquick wrote:The great shame about EOT is the producers had 45 minutes of interview time with the man himself and they used about 15 seconds of it in the intro. They could have used it to have Elvis himself narrate his story plus the footage...oh well! .


Absolutely. This approach was taken with the unofficial "Elvis - Through My Eyes" release and it worked very well.

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Wed May 18, 2011 8:35 am

Are their any stats on which was the most successful of the two at the box office?

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:06 pm

Elvis in 1970 looked better and sang better than in 1972. But the EOT movie won the Golden Globe. Abel and Adige made a better film than Denis Sanders-EOT it was a real documentary. The original film made by Sanders (not the 2001 version) is mediocre, all the fan's dialogue and people waiting to cut their stakes in the restaurant and after that waiting for Elvis are annoyng to me. Maybe it' better to compare on DVD the concerts filmed in 1970 in their entirety without any scenes and the 4 concerts filmed in 1972. Maybe this is a true evaluation. I have no doubt that Elvis from 1970 wins.

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:08 pm

TTWII

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:11 pm

TJ wrote:Definitely TTWII.

Funny how the Bridge topic does keep cropping up and how people hear different things. For me it's the August 1970 version all the way. It's not even close. There's just better overall tone and control on the 1970 version, but also the power when needed. The later version has the power when called upon, but is weaker in the other areas. Still good, but not as good. Try playing the first verse of each, back to back, and the difference is clear. Even the one line "When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all" will do it.


TTWII....100%

agree, 'Bridge' in 70 was sublime.....vocal control was outstanding

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:17 pm

EOT is the better film, TTWII is the better Elvis, at the peak of his concert years.

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:28 pm

I like both - TTWII and EOT ::rocks

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:43 pm

kelvin wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Alexander wrote:
midnightx wrote:EOT is great for what it is. TTWII is highlights Elvis at the height of his powers. Sadly, it was never this good again.


Completely agree. Although Bridge Over Troubled Water from Greensboro (EOT) is superior to any of the 1970 versions.

Not in a million years. His singing in the summer of 1970 is sublime.


Rubbish Doc! The Greensboro performance from EOT is superb and blows away anything before or after......go give it a spin then play TTWII version....no contest


I have to agree. I think that's his best performance ever of Bridge. Perfect singing doesn't always equal perfect performance. He just sings it with more real depth and emotion.