Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:38 pm

As it has been stated, both of these projects are essential for ones collection. However, if I had to choose one over the other it would be TTWII hands down. TTWII shows Elvis at his absolute best, IMHO. Vocally he is solid and he is still in touch, so-to-speak, with his primal roots. He moves well, his humor is really good, and he does a nice job with his songs from the '50s. The set list is also balanced well with "older" and "newer" material. I never tire of watching or listening to anything from TTWII.

rlj

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:31 am

Elvis On Tour is a better movie. TTWII contains better performances but the original film, and to some extent the re-edit has a sort of "playing up for the cameras vibe to it," the wise guy attitude the producers of On Tour wanted to avoid. I've always felt the Elvis we see in some of the rehearsals for TTWII to be somewhat fake.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:08 am

Matthew wrote:Elvis On Tour is a better movie. TTWII contains better performances but the original film, and to some extent the re-edit has a sort of "playing up for the cameras vibe to it," the wise guy attitude the producers of On Tour wanted to avoid. I've always felt the Elvis we see in some of the rehearsals for TTWII to be somewhat fake.

Sorry Matthew I have to disagree with you By you sayn that Elvis seemed ta be fake on TTWII -Rehearsals -

Can I please remind you as a loyal and longterm fan and a friend on this forum -that Elvis never seem to fake it - in any way on his performances , rehearsals or his career -

TTWII stands the test of time portraying Elvis during rehearsals for his upcoming shows at Vegas -
during the summer months of '70 .

He looked and sounded great during this time of hi career and life -

TTWII shows Elvis at his best I feel after his legendary '68 Come back special- and Vegas 69 shows .

He seemed to be fit and agile On TTWII than on EOT -
Yes - he was 35 years old in '70 - can u please let me know Matt who is fit and hard working at the age of 35 these days and did sevral shows each night doing what Elvis did - I cant think of any in todays music scene -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:24 am

Isn't the big difference in appearance also a suntan and makeup matter? In Elvis On Tour he wore no make up, I think he wore make up during the filming of ttwi. It's funny how Elvis looks like TTWII during I'll Remember You on the new MSG DVD.
Anyway I like both movies.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:17 am

The Original That's the Way it Is.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:39 am

TTWII :D

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:46 am

TTWII hands down. I like On Tour, but despite only 20 months between Aug. 1970 and April 1972, it's night and day.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:54 am

karlos wrote: Can I please remind you as a loyal and longterm fan and a friend on this forum -that Elvis never seem to fake it - in any way on his performances , rehearsals or his career -

Well, in some of the TTWII rehearsals Elvis is playing-up for the cameras. Even the producers of Elvis On Tour caught a vibe from TTWII:

Elvis at first seemed under the impression that they (Bob Abel and Pierre Adidge) were already committed to the project, but when he discovered that they were not, he drew them in, as he always did, by acting as if they were the ones who were doing the seducing and he was so glad of visitors from the outside world that he would have done anything to extend the visit. They told him they had no interest in repeating the wise-guy point of view of That's The Way It Is, a film that from Abek's perspective served to demean an aspect of the culture that they wanted to record and celebrate, but they got no response from Elvis on that issue. "I want to shoot the real you," Abel said without irony, "but the trade-off is, you've got to be open with me. If I feel that you're posing or doing something, I'll just turn the camera off. And then MGM will just be out of a lot of money." "I like your honesty," Elvis said. "When do we start?"

- Peter Guralnick, Careless Love - The Unmaking of Elvis Presley, 2004, p463

Elvis was not beyond putting on a mask, an 'image', when it suited him.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:57 pm

TTWII for me. I enjoy the April '72 live shows, and would agree that the "On Tour" is the better film, but watching Elvis rehearsing in '72, he just doesn't seem as committed to his art anymore. On the out take footage he runs through the '50's rockers with very little interest or effort shown, clearly bored with the material, but not prepared to change the set list and consider the other great hits that hadn't featured in his live shows before to freshen things up.

There was spontaneity and a sense of fun in the TTWII rehearsals that I don't see in the "On Tour" footage, and this is also reflected in the August 1970 live shows. Whilst songs like "Don't", "Baby Let's Play House" and "I Was The One" were only half remembered, Elvis clearly still enjoyed dipping into his own back pages and pulling out songs that he liked. When "I Was The One" found it's way into the set list on August 12th, although not fully rehearsed, Elvis gives a good performance, which he clearly got a kick out of.

He tells the producers of "On Tour" that "we never let it get old", but this had already started to happen with the likes of "Teddy Bear", "Don't Be Cruel", "Heartbreak Hotel", "Hound Dog" and "All Shook Up". Songs that he had little or no interest in anymore. Of course the overall set lists contained enough contemporary material, and more committed performances on oldies such as "Lawdy Miss Clawdy", "Big Hunk O' Love" and "Are You Lonesome Tonight" for Elvis to maintain a strong performance level overall, and I'm sure those that witnessed these shows saw something very special.

However, the combination of depression, boredom and prescription drugs was already beginning to take it's toll. Maybe the touring just wasn't enough of a challenge for Elvis anymore, or maybe he felt trapped by his own past. That he couldn't progress if he had to sing those old songs night after night. Perhaps after Madison Square Garden, which clearly did challenge Elvis, and brought out the best in him, it was time to take a break. Hindsight...if only.