Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Mon May 16, 2011 3:27 am

Both! :roll:

Mon May 16, 2011 3:28 am

eap19351977 wrote:witch you like the best for me its on tour

TTWII by a country mile. He looks great, he sings great, he's sittin' on top of the world.

Mon May 16, 2011 3:29 am

68' Comeback Special by several miles.

Mon May 16, 2011 3:31 am

TCB-FAN wrote:68' Comeback Special by several miles.

Post Subject: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Mon May 16, 2011 3:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:68' Comeback Special by several miles.

Post Subject: elvis thats the way it is or elvis on tour

Yeah I know......but I had to mention '68 Special for the heck of it.

Mon May 16, 2011 3:49 am

TTWII for sure. He looked so much better than in On Tour and overall he was much better in August 1970 than in April 1972 in my opinion.

Mon May 16, 2011 4:09 am

Simon1 wrote:TTWII for sure. He looked so much better than in On Tour and overall he was much better in August 1970 than in April 1972 in my opinion.

Agree-he (almost) never looked or sounded better than he did in TTWII.
However,EOT holds a place in my heart,as I attended the Hampton roads concert(has it really been almost 40 years???)

Mon May 16, 2011 4:13 am

Elvis On Tour is a better movie, but performance wise TTWII. Both are essential.

Mon May 16, 2011 4:23 am

TTWII for the vitality of Elvis' performances

Mon May 16, 2011 4:28 am

Mon May 16, 2011 4:31 am

When I watch TTWII I see an artist deeply involved in his career, an artist who sang excellent, looked like a demi god, was involved, just very concentrated, in short an artist who also just happened to be Elvis Presley. When I watch On Tour, I see a very pale artist doing an 'Elvis show'. All flash, all for effect.
He just wasn't being as splendid as he was in August '70. Something had gone. I'm sure it had a lot to do with his break-up with Priscilla.
The movie itself was made very well.

Mon May 16, 2011 4:42 am

Simon1 wrote:When I watch TTWII I see an artist deeply involved in his career, an artist who sang excellent, looked like a demi god, was involved, just very concentrated, in short an artist who also just happened to be Elvis Presley. When I watch On Tour, I see a very pale artist doing an 'Elvis show'. All flash, all for effect.
He just wasn't being as splendid as he was in August '70. Something had gone. I'm sure it had a lot to do with his break-up with Priscilla.
The movie itself was made very well.

Well,memories after nearly 40 years are not as concise as you would like them to be,BUT-
Elvis in 72 was still an energetic,emphatic performer.As my seats were of the nosebleed variety,I couldnt make a judgement on how he looked,
And his voice was still awesome-he bought down the house with "How Great Thou Art"and "Are You lonesome Tonight".
You had to be there....

Mon May 16, 2011 7:45 am

TTWII all the way. The difference in appearance is staggering considering it's only 18 months. EOT is a very good film technicallly but it can't hide something was wrong. However, he bounced back big time in June at MSG. Pity they never delayed filming for a couple of months.

Mon May 16, 2011 7:52 am

EOT is great for what it is. TTWII is highlights Elvis at the height of his powers. Sadly, it was never this good again.

Mon May 16, 2011 8:11 am

Delboy wrote:TTWII all the way. The difference in appearance is staggering considering it's only 18 months. EOT is a very good film technicallly but it can't hide something was wrong. However, he bounced back big time in June at MSG. Pity they never delayed filming for a couple of months.

It's a pity they didn't film a few shows of MSG as well!

Mon May 16, 2011 8:12 am

For me it's both.

Mon May 16, 2011 8:17 am

BrianTCB wrote:

For me it's both.

I thought you were an EIC freak based on all your rave reviews of the forbidden box.

Mon May 16, 2011 9:18 am

How can you ask something like that?

Mon May 16, 2011 9:48 am

midnightx wrote:EOT is great for what it is. TTWII is highlights Elvis at the height of his powers. Sadly, it was never this good again.

Completely agree. Although Bridge Over Troubled Water from Greensboro (EOT) is superior to any of the 1970 versions.

Mon May 16, 2011 9:49 am

Alexander wrote:
midnightx wrote:EOT is great for what it is. TTWII is highlights Elvis at the height of his powers. Sadly, it was never this good again.

Completely agree. Although Bridge Over Troubled Water from Greensboro (EOT) is superior to any of the 1970 versions.

Not in a million years. His singing in the summer of 1970 is sublime.

Mon May 16, 2011 10:07 am

"Thats The Way It Is"

Mon May 16, 2011 11:19 pm

I like both TTWII & EOT - they are what made me become an Elvis fan.

Mon May 16, 2011 11:27 pm

love them both. On tour wins for me as Elvis has an edge to his performances. I got a woman and Polk Salad Annie rock. Interesting note for me is the film seems to show Elvis sad/downbeat whereas in Lost Performances he appears instantly happier........hmmm

Mon May 16, 2011 11:35 pm

TTWII is superior to EOT because of Elvis himself.

But TTWII is also a (little) letdown compared to the 68 special, only 2 years before.

Mon May 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Alexander wrote:

Although Elvis looked better in 1970, tanned and healthy, I prefer On Tour as a movie.
It's more in your face and truly shows some of the excitement of Elvis and his audience.
To me, it's kind of embarrassing to see Elvis working in a tacky Las Vegas showroom environment, around tourists and gamblers, just finishing their dinner.

I agree on Bridge, Alexander.
As good as the 1970 version is, the '72 versions carry a bit more emotion given the timeframe and therefore, to me they are far superior.

Cheers.