Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

JULY 31st 1969

Sun May 15, 2011 1:39 pm

HI
Surely if the Colonel was as good as everyone says he was for seeing dollar signs, then he would have had RCA or the Snowmans league or someone record this show - I believe it was recorded it just hasn't been found yet - please God prove me right

Re: JULY 31st 1969

Sun May 15, 2011 2:15 pm

I, too, wish we had it (recording)!

Sun May 15, 2011 2:50 pm

It was Elvis' order, that the opening show "will NOT BE recorded!".

Sun May 15, 2011 2:58 pm

What's your source for that statement?

Sun May 15, 2011 3:10 pm

I wish he was that assertive with some of the movie contracts!

Sun May 15, 2011 3:16 pm

PetriTCB wrote:It was Elvis' order, that the opening show "will NOT BE recorded!".

Yeah, come on, where in the hell did you hear/read that? While you're reading this, please copy and paste the link in here, so we can go to your source (if you read it on the 'net)! I hope your not just dribbling shitt!

Sun May 15, 2011 3:33 pm

If he didn't want the show to be recorded than he would never have done the TV Specials or allow the audiences to record his performances.

Sun May 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Elvisfan10 wrote:If he didn't want the show to be recorded than he would never have done the TV Specials or allow the audiences to record his performances.

:roll:

Sun May 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Delboy wrote:What's your source for that statement?

Lamar Fike and Red West. They told me this on November 1996 in Helsinki, Finland. And James Burton said to me in 2001 that "Elvis was already so nervous about the opening show that if there would have been recording equipments, he would have been more nervous then!". Also Felton Jarvis said these same things on several interviews, which has been released on magazines, websites etc.

Sun May 15, 2011 3:58 pm

I'm certain Elvis would have wanted the opening show recorded if only for his own reference.
That it may well be ONLY a line-in/soundboard recording is neither here or there.

Sun May 15, 2011 4:43 pm

PetriTCB wrote:Lamar Fike and Red West.

Red West wasn't around in 1969.

And James Burton said to me in 2001 that "Elvis was already so nervous about the opening show that if there would have been recording equipments, he would have been more nervous then!".

Cameras maybe, recording equipment he wouldn't have even seen. If it wasn't recorded I believe it was just a monumental oversight, nothing to do with Elvis' nerves.

Sun May 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Delboy wrote:
PetriTCB wrote:Lamar Fike and Red West.

Red West wasn't around in 1969.

And James Burton said to me in 2001 that "Elvis was already so nervous about the opening show that if there would have been recording equipments, he would have been more nervous then!".

Cameras maybe, recording equipment he wouldn't have even seen. If it wasn't recorded I believe it was just a monumental oversight, nothing to do with Elvis' nerves.

Red West met Elvis when they were in Humes High School in Memphis on the '50s. He was also with Elvis in Las Vegas on July 31st, 1969.

Sun May 15, 2011 5:11 pm

PetriTCB wrote:Red West met Elvis when they were in Humes High School in Memphis on the '50s. He was also with Elvis in Las Vegas on July 31st, 1969.

Red West didn't come back into the fold until the 1970 Summer Festival in Vegas!

Sun May 15, 2011 5:17 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:
PetriTCB wrote:Red West met Elvis when they were in Humes High School in Memphis on the '50s. He was also with Elvis in Las Vegas on July 31st, 1969.

Red West didn't come back into the fold until the 1970 Summer Festival in Vegas!

So he was there one year later? OK... But on July 31st, 1969 there were so called Memphis Mafia with Elvis. And that's correct?

Sun May 15, 2011 5:35 pm

PetriTCB wrote:So he was there one year later? OK... But on July 31st, 1969 there were so called Memphis Mafia with Elvis. And that's correct?

Yes.

Sun May 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Perhaps someone in the audience recorded it? Just a thought.

Sun May 15, 2011 6:18 pm

draig goch wrote:Perhaps someone in the audience recorded it? Just a thought.

Possible but remember that opening night was an 'Invitation Only' audience.

Sun May 15, 2011 7:27 pm

It was not recorded. We have talked about this a zillion times before. I asked Joan Deary about opening night and was told they did not record it. We have lots from 1969 live. Be happy that so many shows were recorded and stop trying to wish something into existence. It gets old people.

Mon May 16, 2011 2:42 am

L Ray wrote:It was not recorded. We have talked about this a zillion times before. I asked Joan Deary about opening night and was told they did not record it. We have lots from 1969 live. Be happy that so many shows were recorded and stop trying to wish something into existence. It gets old people.

So how come a recording from as early as August 3rd exists. Is it not possible an earlier recording might also exist aswell ?

Mon May 16, 2011 3:01 am

PetriTCB wrote:It was Elvis' order, that the opening show "will NOT BE recorded!".

Elvis never said any such thing, and there were no plans to audio-record July 31, 1969 anyway.

Mon May 16, 2011 6:43 am

Elvis was always really nervous about a performances, more so during '69 and '70. Even in TTWII he kept talking about how nervous he was, tapping his fingers and even pacing a room backstage where he drank vodka to calm his nerves. If not filming the performance was due to nerves in '69, he never would have filmed TTWII. I highly doubt not filming the Opening Night show was due to nerves. Has anyone ever thought that maybe it wasn’t filmed because it was a VIP performance where other celebrities, dignitaries and other wealthy people were in attendance and therefore his performance might have been very different from his performance in front of fans? Another thing is maybe they didn’t film it because it was a VIP event. Usually those things are never filmed no matter who the entertainer is because they don’t want it to be a circus. Of course some famous people like filming private events for that purpose. It would be great if someone did film the Opening Night performance though!

Mon May 16, 2011 7:31 am

Elvisfan10 wrote:even pacing a room backstage where he drank vodka to calm his nerves.

I'll get shot down in flames for this and accused of viewing Elvis through rose tinted glasses but I'm pretty sure that was water.

Mon May 16, 2011 7:50 am

CONFEDERATELVIS wrote:Surely if the Colonel was as good as everyone says he was for seeing dollar signs, then he would have had RCA or the Snowmans league or someone record this show....

This rhetoric gets old. No one ever has a crystal ball. Perhaps if Tom Parker knew Elvis' live show was going to deteriorate after 1972 with Elvis ultimately dying in 1977, maybe he would have seen the value in recording the very first show from Elvis' return to live work during 1969. For all he knew, Elvis would still be alive in 2011 having performed during the majority of a 40 year period, thereby making the July 31, 1969 show not so noteworthy.

RCA recorded multiple shows a couple of weeks later which yielded the In Person album, and let's face it, the end result would not have made a difference had Parker commissioned RCA to record earlier in the engagement. We all know Elvis was sensational during his first few nights based on the August 3 recording. In hindsight, it would have been wonderful had one of the initial shows been captured because surprisingly, they may actually be stronger than what was recorded later in August (and those shows were still of very high quality). Let's be thankful for the August 3 show that has circulated for so many years. In any event, Parker and RCA did its part in recording a portion of the 1969 return engagement.

Mon May 16, 2011 8:12 am

The fact that he opened in Las Vegas after such a long lay off was hugely courageous.

Any other artist would work up his show in the boondocks.

As KISS and Neil Diamond did in New Zealand a few years back.

Mon May 16, 2011 9:11 am

KiwiAlan wrote:The fact that he opened in Las Vegas after such a long lay off was hugely courageous.

Or misguided.