Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Sep '70 Tour --> "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin

Sun May 08, 2011 6:33 am

Hey Wait! You're the guy who posted it! I did not deny the height of the collar. Just that they made it sound like the Aloha suit or something and its not. Pretty simple. But a jumpsuit. I was just pointing out something about the irony of it all.
If EP had worn the orininal outfits from the previous year, he might well have walked a few blocks on Jim's socks!

Just a little context and history.
Morrison should have done his rocknroll homework and not chosen Miami for the teasing gesture. Of which he has been cleared.

Hurumph!

And a much-belated thank you to the Doc for this topic! :smt006

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:09 pm

midnightx wrote:
DEH wrote:Its a damn shame that some of the shows barely made it to 40 minutes. 45 minutes at the most.

They still would have been better than listening to longer shows from 1976 that contained 6 minutes of Amen/Dive-bombing and 20+ minutes of band intros.

U would not have beem pissed if u had attended a 40 min show? on this tour he gave shortened versions of "I've Lost You" and "The Wonder of You" as well. for his first tour since the 50s i think he should have been on stage for at least the usual 55 to 65 min. the shows in vegas for the most part were longer than these shows.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:39 pm

I think Elvis was at his best in 1970 but in Feb & August when he played Vegas. I bet if you heard any of these tour shows, they would not be better, especially if he started shortening some songs already. I think we have the best of 1970 already on cd & dvd. I bet we would be a bit let down at a 45 minute show, especially if we can only hear it and not see it. Interesting, yes. Better? I don't think so.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:41 pm

DEH wrote:
midnightx wrote:
DEH wrote:Its a damn shame that some of the shows barely made it to 40 minutes. 45 minutes at the most.

They still would have been better than listening to longer shows from 1976 that contained 6 minutes of Amen/Dive-bombing and 20+ minutes of band intros.

U would not have beem pissed if u had attended a 40 min show? on this tour he gave shortened versions of "I've Lost You" and "The Wonder of You" as well. for his first tour since the 50s i think he should have been on stage for at least the usual 55 to 65 min. the shows in vegas for the most part were longer than these shows.

Seeing Elvis Presley on stage in 1970 would have most likely been a night to remember.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:43 pm

To me the best show of the 1970 year is the closing show of Vegas - February 23 1970.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:34 pm

Probably a lot wilder experience on tour in 1970 based on the footage we have from Nov 70 tour. From the September tour we barely have nothing. Strange...

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:05 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Billboard - Oct 10 1970 p89.JPG
Billboard - October 10, 1970

Elvis formally hit the road in September 1970, after unpleasant tours of duty in the Army and Hollywood that consumed the better part of thirteen long years. His last tour, in Hawaii, ran all of three shows on November 10 and 11, 1957.

After the triumph of his December 1968 TV Special, outstanding Memphis recordings in January and February 1969, and his sizzling stage return in Las Vegas that July, everyone expected a U.S. and worldwide tour to follow. Instead 1970 came and fans were given two more month-long bookings in Vegas, and Elvis blowing the roof off of the Houston Astrodome with six incredible performances in three days. Another fruitful studio session in June was logged as tour plans were finally considered for September.

Elvis took his current TCB band, along with the Sweet Inspirations, the Hugh Jarrett Singers (filling in for the Imperials, who were unavailable), Kathy Westmoreland and local orchestras led by Joe Guercio to help make the magic.

As may be seen by the above ad, the tour was a tremendous success. Elvis was a lean, mean rockin' machine.

700910_StLouisb.jpg
Elvis, "Polk Salad Annie," Thursday, September 10, St. Louis

700911_Detroitc.jpg
Elvis, "Suspicious Minds," Friday, September 11, Detroit

700912_MiamiASb.jpg
Elvis, Saturday, September 12, Miami (afternoon)

700912_MiamiES.jpg
Elvis, Saturday, September 12, Miami (evening)

The sets were as amazing as they were varied. Here's one example:

Elvis Presley
Olympia Stadium, Detroit, MI
Friday, September 11, 1970

Opening Theme
That's All Right
I Got A Woman / Amen
I Walk The Line (one-liner)
Love Me Tender
I've Lost You
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
Polk Salad Annie / Release Me / Polk Salad Annie
Introductions of musicians, singers, orchestra
Johnny B Goode
The Wonder Of You
Detroit City (one-liner)
Heartbreak Hotel
Blue Suede Shoes / Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On / All Shook Up / Blue Suede Shoes
Hound Dog
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Funny How Time Slips Away
Suspicious Minds
Cant Help Falling In Love
Closing Vamp

Sadly, although it has been over 40 years since this tour thrilled thousands, fans have yet to see any kind of officially released document of this event. If there are soundboard recordings, they remain behind closed doors.

Maybe someday we'll be able to hear what all the fuss was about.

Very nice post, Doc. The summary was very nicely written.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks Doc, cool.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Very KOOL Doc! ::rocks PS. As a kid went to the Miami Convention Center to see INSIDE the the 3 ring circus. Huge place!

TJ wrote:Cool ad. Elvis was the man in 1970.

Are there any particular dates for which the soundboard is rumoured to be in private hands?

Julian Grant wrote:Fabulous stuff Doc.
He really was lean, mean & kicking butt. What a guy!

Mike Eder wrote:Good ads there. You can almost feel the excitement of the period.

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Awesome ads! For a second i had hope this referred to a rare Sly Stone cover--- but that's a fitting title...

George Smith wrote:There was, indeed, a riot going on.

Thanks for the reminder of our man at his best, Doc.

elvisjock wrote:But, but, but Jerry Weintraub says he played Miami on the 4th of July!

elvisjock wrote:I was watching the two August, 1970 Vegas rehearsals last night. Mid-to-late 1970 really was the peak for Elvis, personally and professionally. His filmed conversation with the Sweets (Gee Gee) is rather adorable. (Show him, on his knees in front of four black girls, to anyone that buys into the notion that he was racist.) He is completely focused on the music. He knows exactly what he wants to hear. There's not a slurred word to be heard.

Rocker wrote:Indeed. It almost feels like suddenly everyone was a Elvis-fan again like in the 50s and that his new material would be loved as much as his oldies.

Great, and hilarious, feedback. Thank you.

I stumbled across the ad looking for some ... Partridge Family information. I had to post it.

TJ, I've heard nothing concrete regarding SB tapes, but surely there must be one or two.

George, you nailed the subtext quite nicely.

Who here knows the best overall audience recording for the tour (sound, songs, performance, crowd)?

That made me laugh, six degrees of Elvis separation. That advert is pretty nice and the first time I've ever seen it, many thanks.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:44 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Billboard - Oct 10 1970 p89.JPG
Billboard - October 10, 1970

Elvis formally hit the road in September 1970, after unpleasant tours of duty in the Army and Hollywood that consumed the better part of thirteen long years. His last tour, in Hawaii, ran all of three shows on November 10 and 11, 1957.

After the triumph of his December 1968 TV Special, outstanding Memphis recordings in January and February 1969, and his sizzling stage return in Las Vegas that July, everyone expected a U.S. and worldwide tour to follow. Instead 1970 came and fans were given two more month-long bookings in Vegas, and Elvis blowing the roof off of the Houston Astrodome with six incredible performances in three days. Another fruitful studio session in June was logged as tour plans were finally considered for September.

Elvis took his current TCB band, along with the Sweet Inspirations, the Hugh Jarrett Singers (filling in for the Imperials, who were unavailable), Kathy Westmoreland and local orchestras led by Joe Guercio to help make the magic.

As may be seen by the above ad, the tour was a tremendous success. Elvis was a lean, mean rockin' machine.

700910_StLouisb.jpg
Elvis, "Polk Salad Annie," Thursday, September 10, St. Louis

700911_Detroitc.jpg
Elvis, "Suspicious Minds," Friday, September 11, Detroit

700912_MiamiASb.jpg
Elvis, Saturday, September 12, Miami (afternoon)

700912_MiamiES.jpg
Elvis, Saturday, September 12, Miami (evening)

The sets were as amazing as they were varied. Here's one example:

Elvis Presley
Olympia Stadium, Detroit, MI
Friday, September 11, 1970

Opening Theme
That's All Right
I Got A Woman / Amen
I Walk The Line (one-liner)
Love Me Tender
I've Lost You
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
Polk Salad Annie / Release Me / Polk Salad Annie
Introductions of musicians, singers, orchestra
Johnny B Goode
The Wonder Of You
Detroit City (one-liner)
Heartbreak Hotel
Blue Suede Shoes / Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On / All Shook Up / Blue Suede Shoes
Hound Dog
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Funny How Time Slips Away
Suspicious Minds
Cant Help Falling In Love
Closing Vamp

Sadly, although it has been over 40 years since this tour thrilled thousands, fans have yet to see any kind of officially released document of this event. If there are soundboard recordings, they remain behind closed doors.

Maybe someday we'll be able to hear what all the fuss was about.

Very nice post, Doc. The summary was very nicely written.

Thank you!

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:40 am

elvisjock wrote:
Delboy wrote:Great post. The Miami Beach matinee ad gives credence to the Jerry Weintraub story?

There's never been any doubt that Elvis did a matinee in Miami in 1970. What gets called into question are the Weintraub embellishments - that it happened on July 4th and that he heroically created a sellout by recruiting jail inmates to remove 5000 unsold floor seats.

i know when i read that i (thought) what a bullshit artist!!! :?