Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: When did the cough syrup incident happen?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:19 pm

It's clear that Elvis didn't intent to do wrong to this girl. And about the OD in 1973 it's unlikely for Elvis to do a very good show in St. Louis and after that make an overdose. Dr. Nick clearly denies that. I think he was in real trouble in Octomber 1973, Peter Guralnick said that he was scared of what happened and for the next month Elvis detoxed himself and was very moderate-taking maybe just one sleeping pill.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:34 pm

I think it's fair to say that for the first time in Feb 73, shows were cancelled due to the comulative effects of Elvis drug use since Aloha, but there wasn't a specific incident, or overdose, but rather a build up of abuse.

As for the cough syrup incident, if Sandi was actually there, and vouches for the fact Elvis wasn't locked away with this girl at the time, but rather went to check on her and found her in that state, that's pretty compelling. Marty certainly wasn't there, whereas she was, so you have to at least bear that viewpoint in mind.

Also interesting is the interview with Paige - she says she had a number of separate visits with Elvis on different occasions, and this was a trip specifically to Palm Springs, not just one extended trip - the original story makes out he plucked her out of the crowd, which then lead directly to the overdose, which isn't really the case, by the sound of it.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:06 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:And about the OD in 1973 it's unlikely for Elvis to do a very good show in St. Louis and after that make an overdose.

No, there are many examples of performers having an overdose one day, and being on stage the next. For example, Nirvana's Kurt Cobain had a 1993 overdose in New York on July 22, recovered and played Roseland Ballroom the next evening -- and no one saw anything amiss in the performance.

phpBB [video]

Nirvana - "Lithium," Roseland Ballroom, New York - Friday, July 23, 1993

What I have yet to determine is whether Elvis' mishap occurred prior to -- or after -- the June 28, 1973 performance in St. Louis.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:14 pm

Maybe July 1973?-I read that Elvis looked bad during the Memphis Stax sessions.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:22 am

Yeah The Stax July 73 Sessions one of the guys Can't remember who said it but said He had a sickly yellowish look .
Ok Wonder if E would have done all the drugs and bad things he did in the 70s if his mom had lived?
Boredom probily caused him to do more drugs cause he got sick of playing Vegas and not getting to go on a world tour.
We will never know who is telling the truth bout the cough syrup story.
Ive never read much of Ewh.
What gets me is you would have thought he would not stayed f uped cause of Lisa. He thought bout himself no one else then I guess?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:And about the OD in 1973 it's unlikely for Elvis to do a very good show in St. Louis and after that make an overdose.

No, there are many examples of performers having an overdose one day, and being on stage the next. For example, Nirvana's Kurt Cobain had a 1993 overdose in New York on July 22, recovered and played Roseland Ballroom the next evening -- and no one saw anything amiss in the performance.

phpBB [video]

Nirvana - "Lithium," Roseland Ballroom, New York - Friday, July 23, 1993

What I have yet to determine is whether Elvis' mishap occurred prior to -- or after -- the June 28, 1973 performance in St. Louis.

That's always been the one I had trouble understanding too. Since I had Sean Shaver tell me that of all the shows he saw that it was among the best vocally, and have had that seconded back when I worked for Joe Tunzi, I tend to think it happened after the show.

Gumming up the works is that in either Day By Day or Careless Love (I would have to look it up again) there is said to be a 1976 overdose in St Louis. Could it have happened in 1976 and not 1973? Nick has said Elvis was not awake the first half of the show, he's not a great source but if he's talking about 1976 and not 1973 that may be true. I just can't fathom St Louis 1973 getting such a good review from long time fans who saw it (who talked of poor shows with me) if he overdosed before the concert.

So maybe nothing happened in 1973 just 1976 or vice versa. If it happened both times I would think it ways before the 1976 performance and/or after the 1973 show.
The only other thing I can say, and only for background because we can't make any conclusions yet, is that while St Louis 1973 is not going around, Elvis was in much better form on the April and June 1973 tours than he was the rest of the year.I suppose I don't have to say that Elvis by March 1976 was not giving performances near his best in 1973.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Mike Eder wrote:Could it have happened in 1976 and not 1973?

You have forgotten that we've gone over this before.

Assistant "Hamburger James" Caughley was not with Elvis in 1976. This is one reason why my Cobain analogy is applicable to the event in St. Louis in 1973. And, like Elvis, Kurt gave a great show after recovering. Your confusion about dates stems in part from the fact that Peter Guralnick attributes problems in St. Louis to 1976, despite his source actually citing 1973.

See -->
Elvis in St. Louis, March 1976: Reviewed by "Rolling Stone"
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48071

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:Could it have happened in 1976 and not 1973?

You have forgotten that we've gone over this before.

Assistant "Hamburger James" Caughley was not with Elvis in 1976. This is one reason why my Cobain analogy is applicable to the event in St. Louis in 1973. And, like Elvis, Kurt gave a great show after recovering. Your confusion about dates stems in part from the fact that Peter Guralnick attributes problems in St. Louis to 1976, despite his source actually citing 1973.

See -->
Elvis in St. Louis, March 1976: Reviewed by "Rolling Stone"
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48071

Ah yes we did settle that. It had been a few years since I read through that.