Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: When did the cough syrup incident happen?

Mon May 16, 2011 4:05 am

thefunkyangel wrote:By 1973 there was no stopping him! How sad!

He was a human being, that's nothing to be pitied.

Mon May 16, 2011 4:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:
fg76 wrote:How much brain damage did the girl suffer?

I don't know. She doesn't look unhealthy in the 1977 photo.

Which, of course, proves nothing. Two weeks in intensive care is a serious matter, that much is clear.
Of course something did go wrong that night and it was serious. One cannot tell from a photo of course, but I just thought she looked healthier and more vibrant than I thought she would. /

The 1979 article is more proof placing the incident to the same period as the May 1973 Tahoe engagement, which was canceled several days early. Insiders claim the cancellation was due to boredom and misuse of Demerol. Elvis would make up the missed dates in October 1974.
1977 article actually. It was in an October 1977 Star. As you can see at the bottom they were still including excerpts from What Happened in there. Perhaps he met here in May and she came to Palm Springs in September?1973 seems to have been a very tenuous year, as far as Elvis and his health. There were so many "red flag" incidents, it is stunning nothing major was done to change course by those closest to him.

It was a bad year for Elvis. Of course the tours, Aloha and even some of the Stax selections were of good quality, but on a personal level it seems he was having a very bad time of it. The pills got out of control. Leon Cole's demerol injections made Elvis a medical addict, and his colon seems to have stopped working correctly. Top that off with not being happy with the direction of your career, having what seems to be a nervous breakdown over Mike Stone, and some really poor business deals. I'm honestly surprised he survived 1973, though in a way I guess he didn't.

Mon May 16, 2011 4:21 am

Mike Eder wrote:... she looked healthier and more vibrant ...

The image appears to be a studio portrait, for modeling or acting purposes.

Mike Eder wrote:It was in an October 1977 Star. As you can see at the bottom they were still including excerpts from What Happened ...

Do you have a scan to show this? There is no explicit reference to "What Happened?" on the page.

Mon May 16, 2011 6:09 am

Here is the table of contents, they are grouped together on the right.
The date is at the bottom.

Mon May 16, 2011 7:40 am

It must have been 1971. The article was from 1977 and it states the incident took place 6 years earlier.

Mon May 16, 2011 7:45 am

It said that in the What Happened book so she may not have even said the year to the reporter. Who ever edited the article probably just sourced the incident from the book.

Mon May 16, 2011 7:49 am

Even so there is no way Sonny would have been 2 years out in his memory of such an incident.

Mon May 16, 2011 8:24 am

Sonny may not have said the wrong year, but Steve could have gotton it wrong. I remember Sonny saying Elvis was in good shape in 1971 in All the Kings Men.

Mon May 16, 2011 9:20 am

Mike Eder wrote:The date is at the bottom.

Thanks, that's helpful.

Delboy wrote:It must have been 1971. The article was from 1977 and it states the incident took place 6 years earlier.

No. It's from a period between May 1973 and August 1973. If you read her comments, she talks about phone calls she received from Elvis after the incident, including one in which Elvis told her "Priscilla was going on about the divorce." Their divorce was finalized in October 1973. Elvis nearly died about a week after that from an overdose.

Mon May 16, 2011 10:09 am

You are welcome.

The comment about the divorce clinches 1973 for me.

Tue May 17, 2011 12:27 am

Like many of the woman Elvis was attracted to, she bears a resemblence to Priscilla.

Tue May 17, 2011 12:46 am

Mike C wrote:Like many of the woman Elvis was attracted to, she bears a resemblance to Priscilla.

Who was a ringer for actress Debra Paget.

Tue May 17, 2011 9:00 am

It is really nice to see a picture of her finally since I don't think this was ever reprinted.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:28 pm

Maybe 1973 was so bad because Priscilla reopened the divorce case, required more money and hurt Elvis. If the claims of these overdoses (February in Vegas, May in Tahoe, June is St. Louis and October in Memphis) are real in 1973, it's a miracle he survived. How bad year after the Aloha triumph.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:58 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Maybe 1973 was so bad because Priscilla reopened the divorce case, required more money and hurt Elvis. If the claims of these overdoses (February in Vegas, May in Tahoe, June is St. Louis and October in Memphis) are real in 1973, it's a miracle he survived. How bad year after the Aloha triumph.

The claims for May, June and October 1973 are supported by factual data. I've never heard of anything from February. But the divorce issue was only one of many stressors in Elvis' life at that time. His main dilemma was chronic depression, and self-medicating to alleviate the pain.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:48 pm

I think the allegation aperead in EWH, but Elvis had problem with his voice, that's why he cancelled some shows. And after the february 18 incident (he was atacked on stage), the doctor gave him many sedatives to calm him down regarding Mike Stone. I'm gonna ckeck my EWH edition -french language and I am not expert in this-but what is written here is doubtful anyway.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:04 am

jurasic1968 wrote:I think the allegation aperead in EWH, but Elvis had problem with his voice, that's why he cancelled some shows. And after the february 18 incident (he was atacked on stage), the doctor gave him many sedatives to calm him down regarding Mike Stone. I'm gonna ckeck my EWH edition -french language and I am not expert in this-but what is written here is doubtful anyway.

There's no mention of a February 1973 overdose in Elvis: What Happened?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:29 am

I am sorry, I read the book in french language and it's very differnt from English, maybe I misunderstand. But they sad a lot about doctors who gave many sedatives to Elvis to calm down. But in the meantime I found an interview from EIN to dr. Nick and he denies the allegations. So the EIN reporter speculates about that.

EIN: In 1973, Elvis overdosed twice on barbiturates, initially while in Las Vegas and later in St. Louis. Were these the first times Elvis had overdosed?

Dr. Nick: Your information above about overdoses is inaccurate. If you read my book, you will find an explanation for what really happened. I don’t respond to stories of situations I did not witness first-hand.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:59 am

This is another interview with Dr. Nick (only a short note of the reporter of the guardian british paper who speculated himself about Elvis' posible overdoses.
Doctor Feelgood
In 1977 alone, George Nichopoulos wrote Elvis prescriptions for 10,000 doses of uppers, downers and assorted narcotics. He tells Adam Higginbotham he did it because he 'cared'
Adam Higginbotham
The Observer, Sunday 11 August 2002
In 1973, he overdosed twice on barbiturates: in February, when he spent three days in a coma in his suite at the Hilton, and later, on tour in St Louis. He began cancelling shows more and more frequently. At the end of the year he was admitted, semi-comatose, to the Baptist Hospital in Memphis. This time, he had been secretly seeing a doctor in LA. He had become poisoned by cortisone injections and was addicted to the high-test opiate painkiller Demerol. Dr Nick put him on meth-adone. Then he began trying to stop the flow of contraband pills from other doctors .

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:49 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Maybe 1973 was so bad because Priscilla reopened the divorce case, required more money and hurt Elvis. If the claims of these overdoses (February in Vegas, May in Tahoe, June is St. Louis and October in Memphis) are real in 1973, it's a miracle he survived. How bad year after the Aloha triumph.

The claims for May, June and October 1973 are supported by factual data. I've never heard of anything from February. But the divorce issue was only one of many stressors in Elvis' life at that time. His main dilemma was chronic depression, and self-medicating to alleviate the pain.

The mention of a February overdose was in "Down at the End of Lonely Street: The Life and Death of Elvis Presley". The information supposedly came from interviews with Joe Esposito and Linda Thompson. One of the doctors (I'm guessing either Leon Cole or Max Shapiro) had given Elvis a Demerol kit so he could inject himself. Supposedly, Dr. Newman and Esposito set up sort of an intensive care unit in the bedroom of the suite at the Hilton while Elvis was comatose.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:04 am

I have no respect for men who get women involved with drugs. You know when I was a kid, I thought Elvis never smoke, drank or took drugs. He was my role model. By age 8, I made up my mind to never smoke, drink or take drugs. I cannot say for sure if my image of Elvis has anything to do with this or not. But to this day, I have kept that promise to myself.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:12 am

His friend and family were enablers. They really only cared about the money making machine and it is NO ONE'S reponsiblity other than Elvis himself. It was not up to ANYONE to sort Elvis out, he was a grown man. However it is criminal how they enabled him. I would say they contributed to his problems.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:14 am

From what I read of that article which doesn't seem to be embellished or hyped up, it seems based on Page's words Elvis simply gave her a pill for a headache (albeit a heavy one, unless she had an unexpected allergic reaction) like I'd offer you a Pandadol or a stronger pill like Panadine Forte (which will make you sleepy), or did I miss something (which wouldn't be unusual of me)? It doesn't seem like Elvis was trying to coax her in to getting smashed that day.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:30 am

jurasic1968 wrote:I am sorry, I read the book in french language and it's very differnt from English, maybe I misunderstand. But they sad a lot about doctors who gave many sedatives to Elvis to calm down. But in the meantime I found an interview from EIN ...

That site is a very poor source for credible information on Elvis. I never use it as a reference.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:31 am

dhornjr1 wrote:The mention of a February overdose was in "Down at the End of Lonely Street: The Life and Death of Elvis Presley"...

OK, thank you. That is one Presley book I passed on for its lack of insight and many factual errors. The above is just another example of this.