Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

ROUSTABOUT NO.2

Sun May 04, 2003 1:49 pm

Has it been definitely confirmed that the 2nd "Roustabout" song has been located or was that just a rumour?
tony

Sun May 04, 2003 2:12 pm

Tony -

When Ernst was asked if it was going to be on '2nd To None' he denied it, saying they would rather save it for another set.

Surely if they hadn't got it at all, he would have said so.

That sounds like confirmation to me.

Don't be expecting anything earth-shattering, remember it was rejected in favour of the one we got !

'Kissin' Cousins No.2' never did much for me !

Colin B

Sun May 04, 2003 6:02 pm

I wonder if Ernst has been mis-quoted yet again.

Surely they would use it on Close-Up, as with TT&F.

And if he had it I am sure that he would described it or at least been asked to describe it! Is it bues, pop or knowing the writer a shuffle rock.

Can anyone quote the exact wording Ernst used (and the question)?

Sun May 04, 2003 6:24 pm

The song wouldn’t fit the concept of the new “Close Up” set. The disc that showcases Elvis’ movie soundtrack work concentrates specifically on the recordings from the 1960-1962 period when the quality of the soundtrack recordings was much better.
I think it would be better placed on either an FTD release, or a future box set that takes a different approach to Elvis’ career than “Close Up”. It certainly doesn’t belong on “Second To None”.

Sun May 04, 2003 6:29 pm

Yes, Colin B. Roustabout(Number 2) was rejected but my guess is that it didn't have anything to do with quality but rather. MONEY!! It's likely that Col. Parker et al were able to work out a better publishing deal with the composers of the familiar version than with Otis Blackwell et al.

I happen to like Roustabout(Number 1) very much and although I'm not wild about Kissin' Cousins(Number 2) I find it listenable and Elvis certainly
recorded worse. Ito Eats and Song of the Shrimp come immediatley to mind.

Regards,

Jerry

Sun May 04, 2003 6:33 pm

Thanks Keith.

Pretty vague.

Having studied that I am sure that Ernst mis-heard the question and something has been lost in translations.

After all, if you take this at face value where is the follow up question?

A brand new discovered Elvis track would be the hottest news this century.

Ernst would be so enthusiastic.

I am sorry but feel our hopes are dashed again.

cmon people, wake up!

Sun May 04, 2003 11:03 pm

Geez people, do you need a brick to fall on you? If i was a betting man, my best guess would be that this Roustabout number 2 or whatever u wanna call it will show up on the FTD Roustabout soundtrack whenever they get to it. Duh!!! On Second to None or Up Close? dont be so thick! lol

Sun May 04, 2003 11:25 pm

They could always release Roustabout no.2 on a box set and then an alternate take of it on the Roustabout soundtrack.

I agree the non-release of it, at the time could have been due to the publishing rights.

Where was the tape hiding for all of these years?

Mon May 05, 2003 12:56 am

Getlo, is your sign in picture from June 21, 1977 (See See Rider)?

Mon May 05, 2003 1:39 am

I understand that there is even a Kissin Cousins No.3 and Kissin Cousins No. 4 ? I believe I read this in one of the old WORLDWIDE ELVIS Record Catalogue in the early 90s. Anyone knows anything on this ?

Mon May 05, 2003 2:08 am

Evan wrote:Getlo, is your sign in picture from June 21, 1977 (See See Rider)?

Well spotted Evan! Yes it is, it's from the Rapid City show as shown on the CBS Special. It's the brief moment Elvis turns to the side.

I always thought he looked pretty similar to how he looked on the <i>Aloha</i> show in profile. It demonstrates he looked good in some pictures from 1977.

Mon May 05, 2003 2:23 am

Unfortunately, a tight close-up of the left profile was the only time Elvis looked "good" during the taping of the 1977 TV Special.

Mon May 05, 2003 2:54 am

<b>Wrong</b> Dr Carpenter.

He also looked good from a tight close-up of the opposite side in profile!

Mon May 05, 2003 3:14 am

In <b>March 1969</b> -- see my log-in picture to the left -- sure.

In June 1977? Nope.

Mon May 05, 2003 2:58 pm

Sure, he looked good from <b>any</b> angle in 1969. But, as proved with my log-in picture, there were the angles where he looked good - and in June 1977.