Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Sun Hero
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Elvis Fan and / or Elvis Collector

Post by Sun Hero »

Reading a topic here about Goldman's book of the members made a comment...as a fan he read the book...as a collector he disposed the book.....
My questions is " Is there a difference between being a Elvisfan and a Elviscollector.
For myslef I am a Elvis fan...alsways was and always will be....and I am a hardcore collector....would like to have everything as complete as possible.
Your turn...........

....I get carried away very easily...emotional sonovabitch.....

Good Time Charlie
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Re: Elvis Fan and / or Elvis Collector

Post by Good Time Charlie »

Yes. I have family members who are big Elvis fans, but just don't see the same obsession like me with collecting. They are happy with having a fairly decent and large portion of his work. Unlike some of us who want every single recorded note Presley ever sang!

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"

rocknroller
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by rocknroller »

Im just a fan i stopped collecting years ago,if something takes my fancy i will buy it.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Once you get a family going on, "collector" flies out the window.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Good Time Charlie
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by Good Time Charlie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Once you get a family going on, "collector" flies out the window.
Post Deleted.
Last edited by Good Time Charlie on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"

Topic author
Sun Hero
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Sun Hero »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Once you get a family going on, "collector" flies out the window.
Not necessarily.......with having a family I still can collect.
My wife's a hardcore collector and lifelong Elvis fan too..... :D :D

....I get carried away very easily...emotional sonovabitch.....

VEGAS74
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by VEGAS74 »

I am a "Fan"...collecting is just a part and parcel of being one.
I could loose the lot in a fire...but will always be a Fan!

greystoke

Post by greystoke »

I guess it also depends on what one collects, aquires or accumulates - I like music, books and films, and this translates to Elvis and my love of cinema, literature and song. I will buy the CDs, read the literature and enjoy the films I LIKE - even take an interest in the ones I don't - but take no stock of plates, statuettes, gold discs, teddies or toys . . . and I'm not a printed t-shirt kinda guy. I have a few mugs, but I like films, so an Elvis mug - or two - sits well alongside my Hammer, Shaw Brothers and John Wayne mugs. I've never been to Graceland, and may never do - and not regret it - but I know an Elvis fan who would sell her car to go, and another who has been several times, yet neither have seen every film or know a great deal of songs outside the hits. So perhaps being a collector and a fan need not translate to the tangible, but knowledge, facts, figures, stats and a broad appreciation of the people, places, things and events that helped make and shape Elvis and his career - not merely the man himself.

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

Sun Hero wrote:
Not necessarily.......with having a family I still can collect.
My wife's a hardcore collector and lifelong Elvis fan too..... :D :D

Well having a wife that is an elvis fan does help i guess.but once you have kids it is so much harder your money goes on your family and family holidays.that said that is not the only reason im not a collector anymore because i have all the elvis cds books and dvds i need so im more than happy enough.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

Luuk

Post by Luuk »

You can be both a fan and a collector.
However it depends on the price you want to pay for some items.
If you can get the Goldman book for euro 1,00 ($ 1,50) would you buy it? Or would you pass?
I bought it. It's the same as all those books about Elvis' private life. Rubbish!

Alexander
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Alexander »

Yep, completely true! Although I do try hard to get the essentials in my collection.

The Welz

Post by The Welz »

In my case, it also has something to do with age. At first I wanted to own every note the King ever sang. But at some point I lost interest in collecting (deleted - see guideline #2) sounding ARs and sold a lot of the stuff. Sice I have a family my interests have changed a little and of course I don't have so much time to spend on the King anymore.

I still buy some interesting ARs, but only if they cover something special, are well packaged and sound good. Soundboards are still welcome, simply because there are not too much left and the well sometimes surely will run dry. The CLASSIC ALBUM releases of FTD are still must haves. The cover all the King's original album releases in great sound and beefed up with outtakes.

I am glad that I bought my autograph of the King and went to see Graceland when I had no family yet. Now such things are not affordable anymore and so I am happy I did it when I had the opportunity to do so.

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by rickeap »

Having two children at university certainly slows down the collecting part of it, but I still see myself as both a fan first and foremost, and also a collector.

TONY

Post by TONY »

There are some people that call themselves 'Elvis fans' and all they do is go to see tacky impersonators and own one or two 'greatest hits' cd's. Those sort of people wouldn't know an Elvis HMV test pressing if it hit them in the eye!! And I'm not knocking them for that, but that's how they are.

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

TONY wrote:There are some people that call themselves 'Elvis fans' and all they do is go to see tacky impersonators and own one or two 'greatest hits' cd's. Those sort of people wouldn't know an Elvis HMV test pressing if it hit them in the eye!! And I'm not knocking them for that, but that's how they are.
I think its save to say 99% of the people on here dont fall into that category.

TONY

Post by TONY »

rocknroller wrote:
TONY wrote:There are some people that call themselves 'Elvis fans' and all they do is go to see tacky impersonators and own one or two 'greatest hits' cd's. Those sort of people wouldn't know an Elvis HMV test pressing if it hit them in the eye!! And I'm not knocking them for that, but that's how they are.

No, not on here. But if you go to see an Elvis impersonator, most of those people just go to laugh at him and get pissed.

CONFEDERATELVIS
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by CONFEDERATELVIS »

I'm BOTH a fan and a collector and I HATE impersonators

You're a doctor too so your three doctors - Basil Fawlty

ericthevid
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by ericthevid »

I am a fan 1st, and will always will be, but I do collect records,

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

TONY wrote:
rocknroller wrote:

No, not on here. But if you go to see an Elvis impersonator, most of those people just go to laugh at him and get pissed.

yeah i agree with you there mate.
Last edited by rocknroller on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elton
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Elton »

I am a fan of the man,the collection part just comes alone with it.
They say anything over 3 items of the same thing becomes a collection. My family and friends has seen to it on birthdays and holidays that i recieve at least one ELvis goodie!
Im not one who has to have everything...I buy what I enjoy,and enjoy what I buy.Wither it be a recording,a photo, a book,ect.

But i do like seeing some of the members Elvis rooms and collections that are posted on here.
::rocks

"I Don't Sound Like Nobody" Thats Because Nobody Sounds Like You !

"you remember that doncha?"
Later Elton ^j^

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

I'm just a fan. Never been someone who's had to have every CD, book, whatever.

It's great that way - you can pick and choose what you like and what you don't!

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

JosephC
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by JosephC »

I'm a fan firstly, used to seek out all releases...spending hundreds on bootlegs in the early 80s too. I've pulled back considerably now. I buy the new releases from FTD selectively, selective boots (Welcome to the Jungle series was first boot I bought in years). I did not buy the complete remasters series, but I will buy that Sun project when it comes out.

JosephC

TONY

Post by TONY »

tcb1 wrote: I don't collect Plates, Fridge Magnets, Bum Bags and the likes, but again nothing wrong with that if thats what your into as we are all different.

I have a few plates cos my mum used to buy me one every Xmas without me knowing as a surprise. I don't really collect plates, but I keep 'em as she has now passed on and I feel it would be wrong to part with them all now. Some of them are nice, though.
I would only collect other memoriabilia as David mentions above, if they were 50's or 60's originals.

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

I'm a fan, not a collector. Although I want to have every second ever recorded/filmed by our hero, I don't buy compilations of songs I already have, I don't care if it has a beautiful cover or if it's hard to find or having different versions of the same CD/vinyl or whatever, all I care is about the man and the music.
I don't collect Elvis' stuff such as Mr. Potatoe Heads or Elvis Ducks...
I have a few memorabilia things, but they were all gifts from relatives and friends :wink:

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

vivaelvis_72
Banned - Multiple User Names
Banned - Multiple User Names
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by vivaelvis_72 »

I am a fan first and formost. Never really been a collector. There's just way too many cds out there to get a good feeling of his mass work. Elvis recorded some 800 songs in his lifetime. I was fortunate that my parents had a majority of his old records, both lps and 45s, for me to listen to as a child to get hooked. Otherwise I probably wouldn't be a fan or know as much about him or his body of work that I do today. I don't believe in tell-all books written about someone to tear them down or to bring them to that person's level nor do I believe in books written just for a profit. So I don't buy books unless it's based on actual facts and not personal vandettas or opinions. But to each their own.