Alternate version of "If I Can Dream"?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

midnightx

Re: Alternate version of "If I Can Dream"?

Post by midnightx »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TkoTzer wrote:I just listened to this take on the FTD. It would have been a great change of pace show closer if they could've gotten It to sound right live.
I'll take the June 30th recording seen on the TV Special over all others.

"Thank you, good night."
I get chills every time I view that incredible performance. Elvis at his best.

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TkoTzer wrote:I just listened to this take on the FTD. It would have been a great change of pace show closer if they could've gotten It to sound right live.
Doc:

Are you saying this is your favorite overall version or the best of any potential live versions? IIRC, you once said the studio master take was far and away the best version, in your opinion, far superior to the videotaped version. Has your opinion changed?

I'll go on record again and state that I prefer take 3 of the June 30 versions over take 4. I believe they did take 4 only because he didn't raise the mike to his face to say, "Thank you. Goodnight." Take 4 is great but 3 is greater.

Steve L.

Elvisfan10

Post by Elvisfan10 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvisfan10 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Take 4 musical arrangement was done at the same time frame as the other Takes or was it a re-mixed arrangement done after 1977?
They were done at the same time.

All the studio takes (1-5) were done on Sunday, June 23, 1968 at Western Recorders in Los Angeles.

All the live vocal takes on top of the completed single master backing track (1-4 ... aka 915-918) were made at NBC-TV's Burbank, Studio 4, on Sunday, June 30, 1968.
Oh okay, thank you for clearing that up. I never heard Take 4 before until I looked it up after it was mentioned.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

stevelecher wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Doc:

Are you saying this is your favorite overall version ...?
Yup. Elvis never sang that song with more passion. It's incredible to watch all four video takes, especially on the unadulterated video. Each time he finishes there is a period of silence -- as per the request of director Steve Binder -- then those assembled behind the camera, the crew, perhaps all the extras and dancers, burst into waves of applause. And each time Elvis pushes himself another level higher. After take 2 or 3 he says "I can do it better." And with take 4, he does exactly that.

Magic.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

Well Doc, I thought in another thread you opined that the studio master was supreme. I'm likely mistaken or you've changed your mind.

Of the four takes on June 30, take 1 is a false start. Take 2 he does well but states that he would like to do it again. Take 3 is lights out but his microphone stays by his side as he says, "Thank you, goodnight." Take 4, IMO the second best take, shows him very deliberately bring the mike to his face to sign off. Other than the sit down and stand up shows, this is the best, most awe inspiring, raw video from the Special.

Steve L.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

stevelecher wrote:Well Doc, I thought in another thread you opined that the studio master was supreme. I'm likely mistaken ...
IIRC, I've always found the performance that closes the program awe-inspiring.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!