How would you manage elvis after 1969

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Re: How would you manage elvis after 1969

Post by Mike Eder »

BONFIRE168 wrote:just curious how someone else would try to handle Elvis's career
With elvis not making any lifestyle change.
Well it's too hard to say then. I think whatever Elvis actually went through influenced his behavior. I can't guess what lifestyle he would have had if he was continually challenged and excited about his career. It may not have made him perfect but I can't imagine things being the same health wise, weight wise, pill wise, etc. etc.

Mike Eder

KiwiAlan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by KiwiAlan »

midnightx wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:
midnightx wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:The original poster posted the condition that there would be no change in Elvis lifestyle.

So, the use of drugs by Elvis and crew would have prevented any tour outside of the USA.

Remember that a prescription drug maybe legal in the USA but not in other countries and vice versa.
Sorry, but drug-addicted bands toured internationally throughout the '70s. Your reasoning on this issue is completely flawed.
Yeah right. Prove it!
Let's start with two of the biggest. The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin were drug-addicted acts, yet, they both toured worldwide without any significant issues at customs. There is your proof Kiwi.

You just fall for the hype!

Having been closely involved with Rolling Stones concerets in the 70's and the Bigger Bang event I can assure you that they never carried drugs into New Zealand or gave any evidence of using apart from Charlies whiskey.

International pop acts are always - repeat always - targetted by customs people. The kudos of busting a person of fame is irresistable.

Having drugs in one country is one thing - but crossing borders is another matter

While stage crews managed to find local supplies the headline acts were too professional to induge with a few rare exceptions.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

So, you are saying Elvis could not have obtained his drugs of choice in a foreign country? With regards to customs, due to the prescription nature of the drugs that were associated with specific "ailments" Elvis was diagnosed with, you don't think Elvis' physicians couldn't have brought his drugs of choice into the country legally? Wake up.

Yes, I am sure you were hanging out with Richards and Taylor when they were shooting smack (or according to you, not doing it). There are many layers of personnel on a tour -- I doubt you were traveling with the band on their tour jet or hanging out with Richards in his hotel suite. Weren't you just a guy working a venue or two?
KiwiAlan wrote:While stage crews managed to find local supplies the headline acts were too professional to induge with a few rare exceptions.
You clearly didn't work on any Deep Purple shows.

bquick
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by bquick »

Elvis would have had no problem obtaining prescription drugs in any country...to be fair, Richards describes getting drugs across varios continents in his biography. And Elvis was a huge star...he would have had no problems.

Rock Chalk, Jailhouse Rock, KU

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

bquick wrote:Elvis would have had no problem obtaining prescription drugs in any country...to be fair, Richards describes getting drugs across varios continents in his biography. And Elvis was a huge star...he would have had no problems.
Hey, Kiwi is a Stones insider, apparently Richards was lying in his autobiography.

bquick
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by bquick »

brief aside...Richards' bio is essential rock reading...and he is very complimentary to Elvis, Scotty, DJ and if I recall correctly, he does mention Bill as well.

Rock Chalk, Jailhouse Rock, KU

Elvisfan10
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by Elvisfan10 »

The main question was how would we manage his career instead of Col. Parker and with the exception that Elvis' lifestyle would be the same. First of all, a change in management would have changed his lifestyle significantly unless you plan on being a carbon copy of Col. Parker, but that would completely defeat the purpose of this topic all together. Now as far as the street drug/prescription medication use, he was actually abusing way before the Army. He picked that habit up from his mother because she was a firm believer in "for every illness there is a pill to cure it". There are people to this day that still have that mentality, that's why pharmaceuticals are major money making machines. Gladys had health problems that caused Elvis to worry about himself in obsessive, unhealthy ways and even became seriously insecure.

He is one man I would never want to get in the shoes of. He was hit with so many curve balls that he has admitted that he thought he wouldn't be in the entertainment business by the age of thirty and that he wouldn't live to be forty. There is a laundry list of tragedies and struggles that he went through along with never being a normal 20 something year old guy. I don’t think he ever expected people to react to him the way they did. Between the negative publicity and the rabid fans, he was way out of his element. He also wished that he had stayed more connected to his fans.

He was also ambivalent in every aspect of his life. I know he loved making people happy so I think new, positive management would have made a huge impact on his life. All of the corrupt people managing various parts of his career and life also enabled his bad habits even though they try and say that they tried to get him help. I don’t think he wanted to be a drug addict, but how can a person stop when they have corrupt people pressuring them? Peer pressure is a highly destructive force that should never be taken lightly.

I find it to be hilarious that a majority of you keep pitching the idea that he should have been touring all over the world and doing a million different things at once in order to make him a worldwide super star. Do you not get that that’s not even what he wanted to be? He loved music and his goal was to put smiles on faces and make see people happy and help others. Nowhere in that agenda do I see worldwide, richest super star with top billing. He was materialistic even though he bought a lot of stuff, he wouldn’t think twice about giving money and his belongings away. Something tells me that if he were given the opportunity, he would have given everything he owned including a good majority of his money away. He may have had tons of money, cars, jewelry, clothes, planes, boats, houses, etc etc, but he knew that none of that material stuff made people happy no matter how much they owned or how much money they threw around. He was really lonely and didn't have many options as far as how to handle the various situations. He was also known to have a nasty temper that my guess is because he felt like he was losing so much that he wanted to have control of something, anything to feel like he had stability and safety. Anything opposite of that made him snap and anyone in his path would be taken down by his anger.

If anything he never should have been performing at huge venues, only small ones and maybe medium sized ones with strict seating limits. His schedule should also have been spread out so that he wasn’t on overload. On top of that, he should have eased into returning to live performances instead of diving headfirst. Baby steps should have been heavily enforced because of the type of person he was. Anything more than that would have caused him to self destruct faster than you could say, “Elvis has left the building”. Another thing, he needed personal time where he could do whatever he wanted without an entourage of people and anything else to make his life more normal like he really wanted.

LonnieBeale
Registered for: 21 years

Post by LonnieBeale »

Elvis also had a doctor traveling with him most of the time. I like to think if he did a world tour, he would have stayed clean. He did it for ALOHA.

At least I know horses, and the ones with long ears are usually jackasses.

Elvisfan10

Post by Elvisfan10 »

LonnieBeale wrote:Elvis also had a doctor traveling with him most of the time. I like to think if he did a world tour, he would have stayed clean. He did it for ALOHA.
That depends on what was going on in his personal life that caused him to decide to clean up for Aloha in Hawaii. Maybe it was something going on within himself that nobody knows about and who knows, maybe he really wanted to clean up, maybe he has tried more than once to do it. Private doctors are notorious for being very corrupt, especially when the only people that could ever afford a personal doctor are wealthy people.

Mister Mike
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Mister Mike »

Let me see...

Blue Hawaii 2 - Back To The Beach
More Fun In Acapulco
Kissin' Cousins 2 - Meet The Two-Headed Offspring
It Didn't Happen At The World's Fair
Triple Trouble
Live A Little More, Love A Little More
Stay Away, Joe.... Really. We're Serious!
Change Of Habit 2 - Nuns With Guns

...and A Star Is Born (of course)

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

Elvisfan10

Post by Elvisfan10 »

Mister Mike wrote:Let me see...

Blue Hawaii 2 - Back To The Beach
More Fun In Acapulco
Kissin' Cousins 2 - Meet The Two-Headed Offspring
It Didn't Happen At The World's Fair
Triple Trouble
Live A Little More, Love A Little More
Stay Away, Joe.... Really. We're Serious!
Change Of Habit 2 - Nuns With Guns

...and A Star Is Born (of course)
I love those movie sequel titles by the way, funny stuff. I'd watch them!

nevermind
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by nevermind »

KiwiAlan wrote:
midnightx wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:
midnightx wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:The original poster posted the condition that there would be no change in Elvis lifestyle.

So, the use of drugs by Elvis and crew would have prevented any tour outside of the USA.

Remember that a prescription drug maybe legal in the USA but not in other countries and vice versa.
Sorry, but drug-addicted bands toured internationally throughout the '70s. Your reasoning on this issue is completely flawed.
Yeah right. Prove it!
Let's start with two of the biggest. The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin were drug-addicted acts, yet, they both toured worldwide without any significant issues at customs. There is your proof Kiwi.

You just fall for the hype!

Having been closely involved with Rolling Stones concerets in the 70's and the Bigger Bang event I can assure you that they never carried drugs into New Zealand or gave any evidence of using apart from Charlies whiskey.

International pop acts are always - repeat always - targetted by customs people. The kudos of busting a person of fame is irresistable.

Having drugs in one country is one thing - but crossing borders is another matter

While stage crews managed to find local supplies the headline acts were too professional to induge with a few rare exceptions.

http://www.hennemusic.com/2010/02/1977-keith-richards-busted-in-toronto.html

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

LonnieBeale wrote:Elvis also had a doctor traveling with him most of the time. I like to think if he did a world tour, he would have stayed clean. He did it for ALOHA.
That is a bit of a myth. Anyone watching Aloha and Elvis' glazed eyes and subdued physical movement that he is not "clean."

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by DEH »

All of these are great suggestions in hindsight of course. Anyone can be perfect that way. Not reality though. Going back then and not being able to see the future would make a lot of this difficult.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

DEH wrote:All of these are great suggestions in hindsight of course. Anyone can be perfect that way. Not reality though. Going back then and not being able to see the future would make a lot of this difficult.
Not the Las Vegas part. No mainstream, contemporary music manager ever would have conceived at booking Elvis into a Las Vegas showroom in 1969, let alone afterwards.

DEH

Post by DEH »

midnightx wrote:
DEH wrote:All of these are great suggestions in hindsight of course. Anyone can be perfect that way. Not reality though. Going back then and not being able to see the future would make a lot of this difficult.
Not the Las Vegas part. No mainstream, contemporary music manager ever would have conceived at booking Elvis into a Las Vegas showroom in 1969, let alone afterwards.
Give me examples of the management you are talking about. You mean the Stones, The Doors, Hendrix etc,??? Of course not. Elvis appealed to a different audience than them. Most hippies i doubt were into Elvis back then. Huge names were playing Vegas back then. Streisand, Tom Jones, etc. In hindsight it was a bad move because Elvis signed a long term deal to play there. (his fault) but back then it was not.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Why must some of you constantly compare Elvis to other adult contemporary stars of the era? Nothing wrong with Streisand and Jones, but if you want to compare Elvis to that breed of artist, why not mention that Johnny Cash played Madison Square Garden in 1969, not an extended stay at the International Showroom? Elvis Presley was a pioneering artist, a living legend at the time. He had recently reestablished his recording career and regained relevant footing. Why not secure a traditional tour in mainstream venues across the U.S. and international markets from the start? Why do you think it was only natural to shove him into a Las Vegas showroom? Because Streisand played there? You don’t think managers representing contemporary rock acts could have handled managing Elvis or had the appropriate insight into what kind of markets and venues he should play? We are not talking about Charlie Rich here, we are talking about Elvis Presley during his last creative and artistic prime.

elvisalisellers

Post by elvisalisellers »

And yet didn't one of the Stanley's state [in one of their miserable books] that Elvis took a shot of liquid cocaine prior to going on stage for the Aloha gig ?

brian

Post by brian »

elvisalisellers wrote:
And yet didn't one of the Stanley's state [in one of their miserable books] that Elvis took a shot of liquid cocaine prior to going on stage for the Aloha gig ?
It was a Vitamin B shot.

David Stanley was the one who has claimed that.

I believe David says he actually administered the shot.
Last edited by brian on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brian

Post by brian »

While I certainly understand Midnightx's valid point about playing Vegas in 1969 i'm not bothered by it at all.

Going to Vegas in 1969 was a big challenge for Elvis because he had bombed there in 1956 and hadn't performed in front of live audience in years.
For him to come in break all exsisting attendance records and get rave reviews while a big star like Streisand struggled to fill half the seats was a major career highlight for him.

If Elvis had wanted he could of said he wanted to tour the U.S. instead of starting in Vegas but he didn't.
He was actually excited about playing there at first.

I think it was a waste of time to go back there after 1969 even though On Stage is one of my favorite albums.
All Elvis did in Vegas after 1969 was just break his own attendance records.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

brian wrote:While I certainly understand Midnightx's valid point about playing Vegas in 1969 i'm not bothered by it at all.

Going to Vegas in 1969 was a big challenge for Elvis because he had bombed there in 1956 and hadn't performed in front of live audience in years.
For him to come in break all exsisting attendance records and get rave reviews while a big star like Streisand struggled to fill half the seats was a major career highlight for him.

If Elvis had wanted he could of said he wanted to tour the U.S. instead of starting in Vegas but he didn't.He was actually excited about playing there at first.

I think it was a waste of time to go back there after 1969 even though On Stage is one of my favorite albums.
Elvis hadn’t toured in a decade. He had no level of sophistication on what kinds of opportunities for touring and live work existed for himself in 1969. Clearly he would have had to rely on management to secure opportunities for live work. You can’t blame Elvis for landing in Vegas. He trusted his manager to secure the work. If Parker believed Vegas was the appropriate venue for Elvis’ return, there is no reason to think Elvis would have questioned the decision, specifically because he had no basis to do so. Elvis wasn’t an active concert-goer. He didn’t necessarily know what kind of opportunities existed for artists of his stature, nor was he certain he could play major venues after being away from touring work for so long. He had to rely on a third party to direct him. Sadly, it was Tom Parker.

elvisalisellers

Post by elvisalisellers »

midnightx wrote:
brian wrote:While I certainly understand Midnightx's valid point about playing Vegas in 1969 i'm not bothered by it at all.

If Elvis had wanted he could of said he wanted to tour the U.S. instead of starting in Vegas but he didn't.He was actually excited about playing there at first.

Elvis hadn’t toured in a decade. He had no level of sophistication on what kinds of opportunities for touring and live work existed for himself in 1969. Clearly he would have had to rely on management to secure opportunities for live work. You can’t blame Elvis for landing in Vegas. He trusted his manager to secure the work. If Parker believed Vegas was the appropriate venue for Elvis’ return, there is no reason to think Elvis would have questioned the decision, specifically because he had no basis to do so. Elvis wasn’t an active concert-goer. He didn’t necessarily know what kind of opportunities existed for artists of his stature, nor was he certain he could play major venues after being away from touring work for so long. He had to rely on a third party to direct him. Sadly, it was Tom Parker.
Nailed it, totally agree. The August/September TTWII season should have been a farewell or even a au revoir that led to pastures and challenges new.

brian

Post by brian »

midnightx wrote:

He knew that playing shows on the road were an option for him then.

He was talking about touring again after the 68 special.

Obviously he would have to rely on Parker to make the actual booking, but he could have said that he preferred going on the road instead of Vegas.

Once Vegas was brought up as a starting point Elvis didn't voice any objections that i'm aware of.

Maybe you should of been Elvis' manager because i've heard not one person from the inner circle ever say playing Vegas in 1969 was a terrible move.
I've heard many say that going back there so often was but not the initial engagement.

Maybe you are right that touring arena's in 1969 instead of waiting until 1970 was the correct move and that Elvis shouldn't have bothered with playing a single engagement in Vegas.

I sincerely mean that.

Elvis at the L.A. Forum in 1969, Miami, Phoenix etc.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

brian wrote: He knew that playing shows on the road were an option for him then.

Obviously he would have to rely on Parker to make the actual booking, but he could have said that he preferred going on the road instead of Vegas.
You missed the point. While he may have preferred traditional road work, Elvis would have been the first to admit that current touring operations were completely foreign to him. It was a different world out there. Just because Elvis may have preferred a traditional tour (based on your hypothetical), it doesn't mean he thought it was a feasible option for his initial return to live work. He had been completely out of the game. He had no sophistication or knowledgeable insight into late-60's touring. If anything, he may have had an identity crisis in terms of not knowing what kind of venues were appropriate. There is no way he had the confidence to determine what was appropriate. It was the job of a management team to figure that out.
brian wrote: Once Vegas was brought up as a starting point Elvis didn't voice any objections that i'm aware of.
Why would he? His manager secured him a personal appearance engagement and obviously told Elvis it was the appropriate venue.
brian wrote: ....i've heard not one person from the inner circle ever say playing Vegas in 1969 was a terrible move.
I really don't care if hacks like Esposito or Fike or any other character from his inner-circle believe Vegas was appropriate; they were not part of a relevant circle of music industry executives during the late-60's. I doubt managers like Elliot Roberts or David Geffen or Allen Klein or Peter Grant or even Albert Grossman would have even considered Las Vegas as viable option for Elvis' return to live work.
brian wrote: Elvis at the L.A. Forum in 1969, Miami, Phoenix etc.
Elvis could have sold out the LA Forum and Madison Square Garden in 1969 without a doubt.

brian

Post by brian »

midnightx wrote:
brian wrote: He knew that playing shows on the road were an option for him then.

You missed the point. While he may have preferred traditional road work, Elvis would have been the first to admit that current touring operations were completely foreign to him. It was a different world out there. Just because Elvis may have preferred a traditional tour (based on your hypothetical), it doesn't mean he thought it was a feasible option for his initial return to live work. He had been completely out of the game. He had no sophistication or knowledgeable insight into late-60's touring. If anything, he may have had an identity crisis in terms of not knowing what kind of venues were appropriate. There is no way he had the confidence to determine what was appropriate. It was the job of a management team to figure that out.
brian wrote: Once Vegas was brought up as a starting point Elvis didn't voice any objections that i'm aware of.
Why would he? His manager secured him a personal appearance engagement and obviously told Elvis it was the appropriate venue.
brian wrote: ....i've heard not one person from the inner circle ever say playing Vegas in 1969 was a terrible move.
I really don't care if hacks like Esposito or Fike or any other character from his inner-circle believe Vegas was appropriate; they were not part of a relevant circle of music industry executives during the late-60's. I doubt managers like Elliot Roberts or David Geffen or Allen Klein or Peter Grant or even Albert Grossman would have even considered Las Vegas as viable option for Elvis' return to live work.
brian wrote: Elvis at the L.A. Forum in 1969, Miami, Phoenix etc.
Elvis could have sold out the LA Forum and Madison Square Garden in 1969 without a doubt.
oh, I understand your point.

I'm just saying Elvis knew that touring took place for other artists and could have requested that one be set up for him instead of Vegas.
Obviously he wouldn't understand touring operations in the late 60's and he probably didn't understand them in the early years either that's what managers are for.
He would hypothetically voice concerns over playing Vegas because he didn't want to play there.

But i understand your point that Elvis may not have known if playing Vegas or touring right away was the right thing for him even though it seems like an obvious choice to us.

I was saying that you should've been in the inner circle to voice concerns that playing Vegas in 1969 may not have been the best option since no one that was there did.
I wish you were there.

It was a compliment.