Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Video ; in 1975, Lennon talked about elvis

Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:35 am

ekenee wrote:My memory may be off on his but thinking of John's comments about Elvis, wasn't that a little strange because didn't John talk about the early Beatle stuff as kind of teenybopper type material and he had grown up past all that, which meant that he
himself changed and wasn't stuck back in time.

And more importantly, the Beatles visited Elvis right in the middle of Elvis' artistic-suicide period, but their jamming
more than likely did not include, "Harem Holiday", "She's a machine", or "It's carnival time".

And I wonder what John thought of Elvis' more contemporary adult material such as,

"Kentucky Rain"
"In the ghetto"
"True love travels on a gravel road"
or "Don't cry daddy".

Not the same old 50's Elvis, but a more mature Elvis.

My guess is, he must have appreciated what Elvis was doing during the late 60's and early 70's.

John Lennon doesn't mean that Elvis shouldn't have grown or changed it's that he didn't like the way Elvis' music or career changed after the army.

In the interview posted the french interviewer said something about the 1968 comeback special and John said Elvis did come out with some good stuff after the army.
So i take it to mean he liked the 68 special.

I've read that Lennon had From Memphis to Vegas and the Blue Hawaii soundtrack in his record collection.

Other than that i've never heard anything about what post army songs Lennon liked as he never got into specifics.

I wouldn't be surprised if he liked both ''Suspicious minds'' and ''in the ghetto''

I'm interested in what Elvis thought of John Lennon's solo work.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:03 am

Lennon was just as critical of his own work as he was of Elvis' and others. In one of his final interviews, he said when he hears Beatles songs, he wants to remake every one of them. At least once he accused the other Fabs of sabotaging the recording of his songs. He also had harsh words for much of Macca's solo and Wings music, although he liked "Band on the Run". After hearing a song from McCartney II, he said "Paul sounds depressed", although he did have praise for the hit 'Coming Up". I don't know what he thought of George or Ringo's solo stuff, but he was kind enough to contribute songs to "Ringo", "Goodnight Vienna" and "Ringo's Rotogravure".

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:08 am

Another thing that comes to mind about John saying Elvis died after the army is that even in 1960, which was 5 years before
he recorded such classics as, "Harem Holiday", when Elvis recorded what most fans would call one of his classic records.

Did John dismiss "Elvis is back"?

Or was he referring to "blue Hawaii" or even "Flaming star", the movie?

Yes, even in 1960-61, Elvis was no longer the rebel he was in 1957, but did John just dismiss it all after
seeing "GI Blues" at his local cinema?

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:11 pm

ekenee wrote:Another thing that comes to mind about John saying Elvis died after the army is that even in 1960, which was 5 years before
he recorded such classics as, "Harem Holiday", when Elvis recorded what most fans would call one of his classic records.

What classic are you referring to?

I hope you are being sarcastic about Harem Holiday.

Lennon stopped liking Elvis pretty early on judging by his comments on Juke box jury in 1963.
He said he didn't like Elvis anymore and dissed ''The devil in disguise''.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:06 pm

brian wrote:Lennon stopped liking Elvis pretty early on judging by his comments on Juke box jury in 1963.

This is incorrect.

When John said that he was being facetious, not literal.

But, of course, Elvis' output after July 1963 probably didn't do much for John, like millions of other Presley fans around the world not thrilled by crappy movie fodder.

Song heard: Devil In Disguise - Elvis Presley

JOHN: "Well, you know, I used to go mad on Elvis, like all the groups, but not now. I don't like this. And I hate songs with 'walk' and 'talk' in it -- you know, those lyrics. She walks, she talks. I don't like that. And I don't like the double beat: doom-cha doom-cha, that bit. It's awful. (pause) Poor ol' Elvis."

(laughter)

BRUCE PROCHNIK: "Your heart bleeds for him."

JOHN: "Well, I've got all his early records and I keep playing them. He mustn't make another like this. But somebody said today he sounds like Bing Crosby now, and he does."

(laughter)

JOHN: "There'll be people writing in now. I know what they're saying (comically in a low, slow voice) 'What d'ya mean!?'"

(laughter)

JOHN: "I don't like him anymore."

KATIE BOYLE: "If he did sound like Bing Crosby, would it be bad?"

JOHN: "Well, for Elvis... yes."

(laughter)

(John votes by holding up the MISS card)

http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1963.0622.jukebox.jury.john.lennon.html

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:53 pm

Who cares what Lennon or any human being thinks about EP. Just listen to the music you like...and enjoy.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Well, John Lennon liked "The King Of Rock'n Roll" and to him most of Elvis' post-army work sounded a little too smooth. If your great rock hero suddenly makes movies like GIRL HAPPY or CLAMBAKE it may be somewhat disturbing.

Back then Lennon didn't know what we all know now. He didn't know that Elvis liked the ballads more than the rock songs and he didn't know what happened to the King's health.

To him his great hero suddenly made cheap movies, wore tacky jumpsuits and made music that was a little too kitschy. If you are a fan of JAILHOUSE ROCK, songs like FOOL are hard to take.

So no problem with Lennon from my side.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:03 pm

The Welz wrote:Well, John Lennon liked "The King Of Rock'n Roll" and to him most of Elvis' post-army work sounded a little too smooth. If your great rock hero suddenly makes movies like GIRL HAPPY or CLAMBAKE it may be somewhat disturbing.

Back then Lennon didn't know what we all know now. He didn't know that Elvis liked the ballads more than the rock songs and he didn't know what happened to the King's health.

To him his great hero suddenly made cheap movies, wore tacky jumpsuits and made music that was a little too kitschy. If you are a fan of JAILHOUSE ROCK, songs like FOOL are hard to take.

+1

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:41 pm

brian wrote:
ekenee wrote:Another thing that comes to mind about John saying Elvis died after the army is that even in 1960, which was 5 years before

What classic are you referring to?

I hope you are being sarcastic about Harem Holiday.

Lennon stopped liking Elvis pretty early on judging by his comments on Juke box jury in 1963.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic there.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:53 pm

Scarre wrote:Who cares what Lennon or any human being thinks about EP. Just listen to the music you like...and enjoy.

Plus 1! I couldn't give a monkey's toss. If I like it, then I like it. I don't need to form my opinion from others.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:00 pm

The Welz wrote:Well, John Lennon liked "The King Of Rock'n Roll" and to him most of Elvis' post-army work sounded a little too smooth. If your great rock hero suddenly makes movies like GIRL HAPPY or CLAMBAKE it may be somewhat disturbing.

Again, I don't think that is really the issue. Too often people jump to conclusions that Lennon and other rockers wanted Elvis to record endless takes of Jailhouse Rock. Even Lennon himself didn't record "rock songs" every time out of the gate. The concern that Lennon and others had was that Elvis was wasting his talent. They saw the Vegas schmaltz, the jumpsuits, the lame album covers, and heard way too much substandard material. Imagine how baffled someone like Lennon must have been hearing his hero belt out My Boy or It's Midnight.

Good Time Charlie wrote:
Scarre wrote:Who cares what Lennon or any human being thinks about EP. Just listen to the music you like...and enjoy.

Plus 1! I couldn't give a monkey's toss. If I like it, then I like it. I don't need to form my opinion from others.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we have to follow Lennon's opinion on the matter. It is simply a topic for discussion.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:15 pm

midnightx wrote:

Again, I don't think that is really the issue. Too often people jump to conclusions that Lennon and other rockers wanted Elvis to record endless takes of Jailhouse Rock. Even Lennon himself didn't record "rock songs" every time out of the gate. The concern that Lennon and others had was that Elvis was wasting his talent. They saw the Vegas schmaltz, the jumpsuits, the lame album covers, and heard way too much substandard material. Imagine how baffled someone like Lennon must have been hearing his hero belt out My Boy or It's Midnight.
I'd rather listen to those two "atrocities" than Woman is deleted - see guidelines #2 of the World or Two Virgins anyday.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:I'd rather listen to those two "atrocities" than Woman is deleted - see guidelines #2 of the World or Two Virgins anyday.

Well, I'll bet you've never given either of those non-Beatles, solo Lennon examples a spin in any case.

Am I correct?

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:36 am

The Welz wrote:To him his great hero suddenly made cheap movies, wore tacky jumpsuits and made music that was a little too kitschy.

Lennon was cool -- but still he was no stranger to tacky jumpsuits himself. Check out this red leather jumpsuit from 1975 from his final public performance -- at the Hilton New York.

Last edited by monkboughtlunch on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:48 am

Trivia - The Hilton New York (still in use) was graced by three rock legends.

January 1970: Jim Morrison attends a penthouse party hosted for The Doors by Elektra records after concerts at the Felt Forum (part of Madison Square Garden)
June 1972: Elvis Presley gives a press conference to promote his Madison Square Garden shows
April 1975: John Lennon gives his last public performance -- at TV taping for the Tribute to Sir Lew Grade show

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:06 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:
The Welz wrote:To him his great hero suddenly made cheap movies, wore tacky jumpsuits and made music that was a little too kitschy.

Lennon was cool -- but still he was no stranger to tacky jumpsuits himself. Check out this red leather jumpsuit from 1975 from his final public performance -- at the Hilton New York.

Yeah that suit isn't so hot, but neither is that weird hair-do.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:26 am

The Welz wrote:To him his great hero suddenly made cheap movies, wore tacky jumpsuits and made music that was a little too kitschy. If you are a fan of JAILHOUSE ROCK, songs like FOOL are hard to take.

Cheap movie:

Tacky jumpsuit:

Kitschy music:
phpBB [video]

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:45 am

A trifecta of reaching! Bravo!

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:I'd rather listen to those two "atrocities" than Woman is deleted - see guidelines #2 of the World or Two Virgins anyday.

Well, I'll bet you've never given either of those non-Beatles, solo Lennon examples a spin in any case.

Am I correct?

Wrong!

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:10 am

Lonely Summer wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Am I correct?

Wrong!

Uh-huh. In any case, your analogy is misplaced.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:15 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Am I correct?

Wrong!

Uh-huh. In any case, your analogy is misplaced.

In what way? Did Lennon EVER do a record you didn't like?

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:15 am

Lonely Summer wrote:In what way?

You compare two single A-sides of Elvis to an experimental solo album and a single specifically released to stir discussion over women's liberation. There are plenty of alternate choices to be had, but those would lose your argument in an instant.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:03 am

Why is it that somehow whenever these kinds of discussions happen, that
the fact that Elvis recorded such songs as,

"Dominic"
"Easy come easy go"
"hey hey hey"

and other subpar movie material, that that very fact,
somehow takes something away from all of his greatest achievements?

His great achievements stand on thier own, and are not diminished because
he recorded substandard material.

With Elvis, the material is only a part of the equasion.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:In what way?

You compare two single A-sides of Elvis to an experimental solo album and a single specifically released to stir discussion over women's liberation. There are plenty of alternate choices to be had, but those would lose your argument in an instant.

I simply said I would rather listen to the Elvis songs cited than the two Lennon works I mentioned. You are free to listen to whatever you choose. My taste in music is different than yours. And I'll ask again, are there any songs or albums from John Lennon that you don't like? We've heard plenty about the Elvis tracks you dislike.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:55 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:

Yeah, before anyone jumps on Elvis for what he wore. Jump on Lennon for wearing red leather. :roll: