Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Legend always said the first one was the terrible one but the tapes reveal the legend is off by one show.

No, they reveal Elvis gave two awful, drugged performances in College Park.

The second may have been the worst of the two, that's all.

I agree with this Doc. I never said the first show is good. However, the second is worse and the stories always have that reversed.

Steve L.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:43 am

stevelecher wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Legend always said the first one was the terrible one but the tapes reveal the legend is off by one show.

I agree with this Doc. I never said the first show is good. However, the second is worse and the stories always have that reversed.

Not in my book. Either one may have been the worst.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:33 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I thought he actually sang better during the second one. Not saying it wasn't a disaster, though. The minute he starts doing Abe Lincoln after "See See Rider," I knew I was in for a long night.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:01 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DEH wrote:For some reason the September 1970 tour shows are quite short.

First of all, you are wrong.

Of the known, complete recordings from the September 1970 tour, Elvis averaged about 17-20 songs a performance -- which is the same as what he gave in Las Vegas.

And this is after he'd been working almost non-stop since June, with recording sessions, overdub sessions, stage rehearsals, a month-long Vegas stand, and concurrent filming of a concert documentary.

Vegas: August 10-31 = 43 shows
Vegas: September 1-8 = 15 shows
Tour: September 9-14 = 8 shows

And as already noted, Spanish_Eyes comment is based on an incomplete recording.

I like this. Do you have more info about it? Is it possible that he actually sang both showstoppers in Seattle?

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:26 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

It is as sad as it is.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Glasgow, Scotland March 17th, 2000

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:21 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Of the known, complete recordings from the September 1970 tour, Elvis averaged about 17-20 songs a performance -- which is the same as what he gave in Las Vegas.

And this is after he'd been working almost non-stop since June, with recording sessions, overdub sessions, stage rehearsals, a month-long Vegas stand, and concurrent filming of a concert documentary.

Go time the shows on the existing September 1970 shows. They are shorter than the vegas shows. And he does shortened versions of I've Lost You and The Wonder Of You.

Miami - 45 minutes
Phoenix - barely reaches 40 minutes.

And the Seattle show is not edited. Reviews of the show confirm it.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:45 pm

DEH wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Go time the shows on the existing September 1970 shows. They are shorter than the vegas shows. And he does shortened versions of I've Lost You and The Wonder Of You.

Miami - 45 minutes
Phoenix - barely reaches 40 minutes.

And the Seattle show is not edited. Reviews of the show confirm it.

And it appears the others shows were just as short. Puzzling.

Thu May 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Oh, they should re-release that College Park soundboard puppy. It's a bad show but I need it for my collection to be more complete. And it would sell more than people would realize, just because it is a notoriously bad show. Actually, Blue Christmas wasn't bad (easy to sing), but that's about it. And that "Hound Dog" featured a unique ad-lib about "white trash". Can someone literally produce what he says at the 0.48 - 0.52 mark into the song ?

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thu May 26, 2011 9:48 pm

the fall shows 1974 were the worst.
rapid city 77
omaha 77
madison 1977 is better than omaha and rc.
wonder how his shows are the ones where no tapes exist?

Thu May 26, 2011 9:56 pm

ritchie valens wrote:Madison 24th June 1977 is better than Omaha and Rapid City.

Absolutely no way!!

Sure, Omaha is pretty poor. But it has its moments. Hurt is a very strong version. Early Morning rain, I Really Don't Want To Know, it's Now Or Never are all very well performed. How Great thou Art is good. That's All Right is not so bad. Fairytale is better than the record.

Rapid City has plenty going for it. It's a varied song line-up for a change and some pretty strong renditions of Trying to Get To You, Hawaiian Wedding Song, Early Morning Rain, Hurt, My Way, It's Now or Never, Unchained melody, That's All Right, Are You Lonesome Tonight (yes, even that one is well performed despite the jokey monologue which was a staple, and at least avoids the gay routine this time).

Madison?? Utterly dire. Worst show I've ever heard from our man. No Hurt. No How Great thou Art. No Trilogy. No Mountain. Crap versions of One Night etc It is pretty much the all time low and is not even on par with the worst of summer 1976. How on earth can you say this is better than Rapid City??

Thu May 26, 2011 10:03 pm

I second this,..Madison 77 is one of the worst shows ever..nothing to brag about..

Fri May 27, 2011 11:26 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I listened to Closing Night 1973 FTD again yesterday. I know it's culled from two shows - but man, it's crap! I actually found myself saying out loud "this is rubbish!".

I'll second that: an unhappy Elvis in a mean spirited mood.

Geoff

Sat May 28, 2011 12:00 am

Southbend, September 30, 1974 is a great concert...with an excellent version of Johnny B. Goode.

Sat May 28, 2011 12:55 am

On Rapid City: I'm having a hard time with 76-77 concerts right now after listening to 69-71 concerts again, but I always liked the Rapid City - June 21, 1977 show. Elvis really tried to be the "Aloha Elvis" during that show, when he actually got down and kissed a girl during "Love Me." When I'm wearing my 1977 shades, that show really is truly a great one. If I'm not wearing them, its still a decent show given the time period. Maybe one of the best shows from 1977, outside of April 24, May 26-27, and maybe the March 27 show.

Sat May 28, 2011 2:17 am

Ciscoking wrote:Southbend, September 30, 1974 is a great concert...with an excellent version of Johnny B. Goode.

Really?

Sat May 28, 2011 2:33 am

midnightx wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Southbend, September 30, 1974 is a great concert...with an excellent version of Johnny B. Goode.

Really?

Yeah, Cisco. I'm listening to "See See Rider" right now, and while he's staying in key - you can tell he is seriously still messed up. Maybe if you didn't know about College Park, you might consider it decent - but a great show? I'll have to really listen to it, before I make a judgement - though,

Skipped to "Johnny B. Goode," and yeah its good - but its kind of like College Park. He goes does a superb job on a song like "How Great Thou Art," but is like a complete madman. He misses lines too, and while he does the "gunny sack" line, it sounds wierd . . . Can't explain it, it just feels wierd.

Sat May 28, 2011 3:05 am

College Park the worst, Madison '77 and despite a few highlights Omaha '77, Aug 1, 1976 matinee, and i think it is Seattle '70 where he stuffs up many of the songs is especially poor considering the timeframe.

Sat May 28, 2011 7:23 pm

rickeap wrote:College Park the worst, Madison '77 and despite a few highlights Omaha '77, Aug 1, 1976 matinee, and i think it is Seattle '70 where he stuffs up many of the songs is especially poor considering the timeframe.

You had to get a 1970 show in there in an attempt to level the playing field. Nice work.

Sat May 28, 2011 7:40 pm

While I have heard some shows from 1970 that I do not particularly like, I'd still prefer to see Elvis' worst show from 1970 as compared to his best from '77.

But that's just me.

Sat May 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Rob wrote:While I have heard some shows from 1970 that I do not particularly like, I'd still prefer to see Elvis' worst show from 1970 as compared to his best from '77.

But that's just me.

Wrong.It's me as well !

norrie

Sat May 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Worst thread ever.

Sat May 28, 2011 7:50 pm

ECC83 wrote:Worst thread ever.

Seems people only want to put Elvis down lately

Sat May 28, 2011 7:51 pm

It certainly isn't as interesting as a thread asking members to vote for Elvis in a "best of" poll.

Sat May 28, 2011 7:52 pm

keninlincs wrote:

Seems people only want to put Elvis down lately

A thread about the best concerts would be positively informing for newer Elvis fans like me, and probably more in line in terms of respect.