Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:00 pm

8-1-76 and the Philly 1977 show (forgot the date off hand) are my least favorite, I can find something in all the other shows I have heard but not these.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:00 pm

I'll have a bit of whatever nevermind is on!

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:01 pm

Mike Eder wrote: the Philly 1977 show (forgot the date off hand)




May 28, 1977.. :smt006

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:34 pm

Matthew wrote:After many, many years listening to Elvis' music I really cannot understand how anyone comes to the conclusion that his voice became "more and more" powerful in the so-called "last years". It became weaker and thinner. Sure, there were moments where he could blast out a power ballad but that's about it. A lot of what made his voice great were severely diminished towards the end.

Bingo.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:37 pm

What was asked for by fg, is to pick the worst of the shows from the period before Elvis put on his worst shows. It gets complicated around here doesn't it?

The audio evidence indicates to me that the worse show from College Park is the second show, where Elvis complained about the review of his first show and proclaimed he had no paunch, that it was a bullet-proof vest. He also muffed HGTA twice and lost himself in Trying To Get To You. Legend always said the first one was the terrible one but the tapes reveal the legend is off by one show.

Robert, St. Paul 1977 may be tied with Madison from 1977. They're both simply awful.

I love the 1969 shows but I'm a pretty big fan of the opening and, especially, the closing show from February, 1970.

Steve L.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:52 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
Mike Eder wrote: the Philly 1977 show (forgot the date off hand)




May 28, 1977.. :smt006

Ah thank you. That was it. I do like a handful of 1977 show so I don't want to come off as saying every show that year was bad...it was really hit or miss. I think the last tour proves this. There were some bad shows but I feel 6-21, 6-25, and 6-26 are all entertaining. Not near Elvis at his best yet still shows where I can find some real moments of quality.
Last edited by Mike Eder on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:42 am

Elvis had his ups and downs, man.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:04 am

tcb4 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
nevermind wrote:Best: Boston - November 10, 1971 (this concert blowns away the whole 1969 engagement)

Not in the real world. Elvis' 1969 engagement stands alongside rock's greatest tours.


nevermind wrote:
tcb4 wrote: his voice became more & more powerful in the last years ......


Correct.

The audio evidence from numerous shows proves otherwise.


i'm thinking of " how great thou art"
there is a big difference between 1972 and 1977
what song do you have in mind, midnightx ?



As somebody else said,don't confuse bellowing with singing. there's more to singing than just hitting a big note,much more. I actually like Elvis' voice in '76,'77, in a Johnny Cash at the end kind of way. No way was it as good as in his prime,but in a way it added character.

As to "How Great" the studio version was the best,followed by '72, and '77 was the worst.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:06 am

What a morbid topic.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:22 am

midnightx wrote:
tcb4 wrote:some concerts in the mid 71 are boring to death
and some concerts in 76 77 are interesting because his voice became more & more powerful in the last years ......

That is a complete falsehood.


Not totally. As sad as it is, he really could do something with songs like Bridge Over Troubled Waters, My Way, Hurt, and other slower songs. If you tried the rockers, then yeah - its a falsehood - but only in that regard. How Great Thou Art is still one of the best from that year.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:35 am

fg76 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
tcb4 wrote:some concerts in the mid 71 are boring to death
and some concerts in 76 77 are interesting because his voice became more & more powerful in the last years ......

That is a complete falsehood.


Not totally. As sad as it is, he really could do something with songs like Bridge Over Troubled Waters, My Way, Hurt, and other slower songs. If you tried the rockers, then yeah - its a falsehood - but only in that regard. How Great Thou Art is still one of the best from that year.

Bridge is in no way superior to the 1970 renditions; in fact, it isn't even comparable. HGTA, while surprisingly nicely done in Omaha, again, does not compare to the Grammy Award winning version from '74 in Memphis. My Way is nicely done in '77, but it isn't as if those renditions blow away what came before. Out of the four tracks you mention, only three were viable quality vocal tracks on occasion during the '76/'77 era. That in no way justifies your erroneous position that Elvis voice became "more & more powerful in the last years" - particularly when most of the audio evidence suggests Elvis' vocals became thinner, weaker, and less controlled.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:37 am

fg76 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
tcb4 wrote:some concerts in the mid 71 are boring to death
and some concerts in 76 77 are interesting because his voice became more & more powerful in the last years ......

That is a complete falsehood.


Not totally. As sad as it is, he really could do something with songs like Bridge Over Troubled Waters, My Way, Hurt, and other slower songs. If you tried the rockers, then yeah - its a falsehood - but only in that regard. How Great Thou Art is still one of the best from that year.


"My Way" is the only song that got better in 1977. Every other song had been performed better in years previous.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:44 am

Matthew wrote:After many, many years listening to Elvis' music I really cannot understand how anyone comes to the conclusion that his voice became "more and more" powerful in the so-called "last years". It became weaker and thinner. Sure, there were moments where he could blast out a power ballad but that's about it. A lot of what made his voice great were severely diminished towards the end.

You're right.

vbgt wrote:I actually like Elvis' voice in '76,'77, in a Johnny Cash at the end kind of way. No way was it as good as in his prime,but in a way it added character.

Same here.

Good Time Charlie wrote:"My Way" is the only song that got better in 1977. Every other song had been performed better in years previous.

I think it got better because of the musical the arrangement and different phrasing rather than Elvis' voice.

About Elvis' worst concert ever... we can't really know, because you can't compare between multitracks recordings, soundboards and audience tapes...
Most soundboards sound flat, lifeless, some of them at a wrong speed... so you can't reall tell if the concert was good or not.
And most audience recordings have too much ambience, so Elvis voice is masked in a wall of echo so we can't tell for sure...

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:55 am

It's always the same stuff, a "Hurt" here, a "How Great Thou Art" there, and always a "My Way". Three ballads with moments of Elvis belting out power notes. Yet little notice is paid to the rest of the vocals within the songs. The poor breath control, the tightness around what would normally be effortless delicate notes executed with the same attention to detail as the big notes.

If Elvis had been in his 60s one might say "fair enough, its to be expected". But he wasn't, he was in his very early 40s. We can champion the rare moments when his old talents threaten to come through, applaud the scarcity of achievements like "Danny Boy", but almost always mourn the sharp decline in abilities from such a comparatively young man.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:28 am

Yes i really dislike the Hampton Roads 1.8.76 show- yet the previous evening on 31st July in Hampton Roads his performance is 'passable' Philly 77' and College Park 27th Sept are 'ok' but i REALLY dislike his attitude on 28th Sept 1974 in that show.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:30 am

To be honest even thou Elvis wasnt totally with it in College park ive always liked the show and as i like all concerts that i have got in my collection its hard to choose one but if it was life or death situation and i had to narrow it down to just one concert i would say anyone from june 77

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:55 am

fg76, what has prompted you to start this topic?

Anyways I agree with others regarding College Park 1974-28-9 but also must add Indiana 1974-1-10.
Last edited by Robt on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:16 am

I listened to Closing Night 1973 FTD again yesterday. I know it's culled from two shows - but man, it's crap! I actually found myself saying out loud "this is rubbish!".

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:38 am

midnightx wrote:
nevermind wrote:Best: Boston - November 10, 1971 (this concert blowns away the whole 1969 engagement)

Not in the real world. Elvis' 1969 engagement stands alongside rock's greatest tours.


nevermind wrote:
tcb4 wrote: his voice became more & more powerful in the last years ......


Correct.

The audio evidence from numerous shows proves otherwise.


I think the 1969 is slightly overrated here. Elvis was pure rock & roll back then, great music. But he evoluted as a stage performer in the following year while compsing a more beautiful mix of ballad and pure rock & roll in the February and August 1970 engagement. I think August 1970 is the era in which in all objectivity the best shows can be found. Personally, I like Elvis a lot live in both spring 1972 and summer 1975.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:59 pm

There was a show during the september or november '70 tour which lasted roughly 40 mins and neither Bridge nor Suspicious Minds were played. Pretty disappointing IMHO

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:20 pm

nevermind wrote:Worst: Madison - June 24, 1977 (worse than Omaha '77 & College Park '74 together)

Best: Boston - November 10, 1971 (this concert blowns away the whole 1969 engagement)

tcb4 wrote: his voice became more & more powerful in the last years ......


Correct.



I can agree on your vote for worst show, Madison 77 is pretty bad, although maybe not quite as bad as the 30-odd minute Baltimore performance from May 77.

However, I have never understood the hype surrounding the Boston show. It has it's moments, but much of it seems sloppy and unfocused to me, and it's of the earliest shows I have heard where Elvis merely goes through the motions with many of the songs he performs. If I had to pick a favorite show, I would probably go with the Aug 12,1970 MS. But many more should be considered:

Eagle's Hall 1955
Pearl Harbor 1961
Any of the 68 Special Shows
Many 1969 Shows
etc etc

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:49 pm

stevelecher wrote:Legend always said the first one was the terrible one but the tapes reveal the legend is off by one show.

No, they reveal Elvis gave two awful, drugged performances in College Park.

The second may have been the worst of the two, that's all.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:07 am

Spanish_Eyes wrote:There was a show during the september or november '70 tour which lasted roughly 40 mins and neither Bridge nor Suspicious Minds were played. Pretty disappointing IMHO

I think the CD is edited and incomplete. The two songs were staples during the tour.

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Spanish_Eyes wrote:There was a show during the september or november '70 tour which lasted roughly 40 mins and neither Bridge nor Suspicious Minds were played. Pretty disappointing IMHO


For some reason the September 1970 tour shows are quite short. Even though Elvis was in his prime he for whatever reason gave some pretty short shows here. He shortened both "I've Lost You" and "The Wonder Of You". The shows could have been so much better. They were shorter than his vegas shows which were usually 55 to 60 minutes.

The seattle show you are talking about is from November 1970 and yeah it's realy puzzling why that show is so short. the audience must have been wondering WTF?

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:54 pm

DEH wrote:For some reason the September 1970 tour shows are quite short.

First of all, you are wrong.

Of the known, complete recordings from the September 1970 tour, Elvis averaged about 17-20 songs a performance -- which is the same as what he gave in Las Vegas.

And this is after he'd been working almost non-stop since June, with recording sessions, overdub sessions, stage rehearsals, a month-long Vegas stand, and concurrent filming of a concert documentary.

Vegas: August 10-31 = 43 shows
Vegas: September 1-8 = 15 shows
Tour: September 9-14 = 8 shows

And as already noted, Spanish_Eyes comment is based on an incomplete recording.