Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:28 am

First off, this isn't a poll, because most would note any Summer 1976 or 1977 show. Honestly, I still think some of the 1977 shows are good. He had no business touring, but they were vocally acceptable for the most part - as long as he wasn't doing hard rocker songs.

I'm more interested in the worst Elvis concert, when Elvis was still considered "immortal." While Elvis actually gave some great shows in 1975, and killed them the last tour that year in July - he had kind of worn off the facade of being "immortal."

I've noted years before, while he was very erratic in Vegas that August 74 season, he was still pulling off some good concerts. Until the closing show . . .

Then in between that he films a Kenpo video, and returns in late September to give - in my opinion the worst two concerts he ever gave. Elvis had lost a lot by 1977, but some of those concerts were coherant compared to the roller-coaster Elvis was on in the fall of 1974. The first College Park show was a disaster. The second one, to me, was better and that wasn't good. Although, I guess it depends what you call better. "You better stop screaming, or I'll go back to the dressing room and play with my foot." (I think he meant the toy football a fan gave him, but who friggin knows.)

I mean these type of shows were unheard of in 1974. I'd take the August 30, 1976 show, June 9, 1975, and April 24, 1977 over those two College Park shows. I might have to check out an audience recording in Cisco's archives - beause I think there might be a fall 74 concert much worse.

So do people agree College Park as the worst show ever, due to it being one of the first really, really bad shows or should we still lump 76-77 because they were subpar to what most of us think Elvis could have still be capable of?

Re: Worst Elvis Presley Concert Ever (Special Rules)

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:30 am

Hey, here's a novel idea: how about voting on his BEST concert ever?

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:52 am

Rock Legend wrote:Hey, here's a novel idea: how about voting on his BEST concert ever?

Can't do it. Because everything outside of 1976-77 was the BEST CONCERT EVER.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:56 am

fg76 wrote:
Rock Legend wrote:Hey, here's a novel idea: how about voting on his BEST concert ever?

Can't do it. Because everything outside of 1976-77 was the BEST CONCERT EVER.

I have heard plenty from '73/'74/'75 that would never qualify as the best ever.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:57 am

Another nice thread, what the phuck is going on in here!

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:58 am

The best concert I have heard post-1961 would be the 8/3/69 d.s. in Las Vegas. Incredible show.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:21 am

August 17th, 1977 - Portland, Maine.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:26 am

Matthew wrote:August 17th, 1977 - Portland, Maine.

Your humour, or lack off, reminds me of mine :lol:

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:28 am

midnightx wrote:The best concert I have heard post-1961 would be the 8/3/69 d.s. in Las Vegas. Incredible show.

I'd definitely chose a 1969 concert, though not necessarily that one.
I'd probably go for the one on the LIVE IN LAS VEGAS box-set.
Most seem to dislike that one due to Larry Muhoberac being very low in the mix, but that's precisely one of the reasons why I like it. It has a more genuine rock feel.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:29 am

Matthew wrote:August 17th, 1977 - Portland, Maine.

August 19th, 1977 -- Utica, New York was even worse....NY crowd was terrible.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:01 am

Unless you have seen every single Elvis concert ever, how could you possibly declare the worst concert.

Unless of course you are easily led and rely on other people's views to form your opinion.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:14 am

Do Beatles fans have these discussions? Man, why don't we just start a subforum here titled "Elvis sucks!". I have to wonder if some of these "fans" liked ANYTHING the man did, it's always on and on about "this record was weak" and "that concert was bad".

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:34 am

midnightx wrote:The best concert I have heard post-1961 would be the 8/3/69 d.s. in Las Vegas. Incredible show.

Good call Midnightx.

Yesterday I listened to Hawaii 61 and Aug 3rd 1969 D/S back to back - Two different era's but both utterly captivating. The two best Elvis concerts available IMO.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:29 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:Do Beatles fans have these discussions? ".

No because the beatles werent smart enough to record their concerts .......

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:32 pm

fg76 wrote:
So do people agree College Park as the worst show ever?

no because, this day, elvis told what he thought ; and given that it was rare, the show is "historical"

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:48 pm

some concerts in the mid 71 are boring to death
and some concerts in 76 77 are interesting because his voice became more & more powerful in the last years ......

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:58 pm

tcb4 wrote:some concerts in the mid 71 are boring to death
and some concerts in 76 77 are interesting because his voice became more & more powerful in the last years ......

Well I wouldn't go that far.

Bellowing is not an idication of more power. His vocal control in 69-70 and beginning of 71 is just right. Lesser so in most of 71 and returns (although not QUITE as good) in 72. 73 was a weaker year, first half of 74 back to 1972 vocal form and then slowly less and less control as time went on.

Madison 24th June 77 is the worst Elvis show I have ever heard - and I have heard over 600.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Call it heresy if you will, but he goofed around through a great deal of the Boston concert.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:38 pm

tcb4 wrote:some concerts in the mid 71 are boring to death

That is a complete falsehood.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:26 pm

Worst: Madison - June 24, 1977 (worse than Omaha '77 & College Park '74 together)

Best: Boston - November 10, 1971 (this concert blowns away the whole 1969 engagement)

tcb4 wrote: his voice became more & more powerful in the last years ......

Correct.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:43 pm

The worst topic ever!..

But to answer your question..
College park'77 and St Paul'77.
If you heard those, the rest is better no matter how poor.

Have a happy :wink:

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:47 pm

nevermind wrote:Best: Boston - November 10, 1971 (this concert blowns away the whole 1969 engagement)

Not in the real world. Elvis' 1969 engagement stands alongside rock's greatest tours.

nevermind wrote:

Correct.

The audio evidence from numerous shows proves otherwise.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:56 pm

midnightx wrote:
nevermind wrote:Best: Boston - November 10, 1971 (this concert blowns away the whole 1969 engagement)

Not in the real world. Elvis' 1969 engagement stands alongside rock's greatest tours.

nevermind wrote:

Correct.

The audio evidence from numerous shows proves otherwise.

i'm thinking of " how great thou art"
there is a big difference between 1972 and 1977
what song do you have in mind, midnightx ?

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:58 pm

What a load of baloney eh, midnightx?

Power? Rags To Riches 1970 v I'll Never Fall In Love Again 1976

Boston is great but a weak entry when compared to ANY 1969 Elvis show.
Last edited by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:58 pm

After many, many years listening to Elvis' music I really cannot understand how anyone comes to the conclusion that his voice became "more and more" powerful in the so-called "last years". It became weaker and thinner. Sure, there were moments where he could blast out a power ballad but that's about it. A lot of what made his voice great were severely diminished towards the end.