Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

PetriTCB
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Re: Charles Stone

Post by PetriTCB »

midnightx wrote:
PetriTCB wrote:
bquick wrote:Any documentation?
I guess that there are some documentations in the The Colonel's vault in Graceland. Mr. Todd Slaughter could have too and maybe Wembley Stadium's office could(?) have someting... As I wrote: Everything was in the beginning regarding those Wembley performances. There was not made any final agreement yet.
All conjecture. I don't entirely doubt that Parker's next move for 1978 was going to be some international touring dates, but there is no way a mid-level promoter employee like Charles Stone would have had any significant role in laying the foundation for such a venture.
Charles Stone's role was to just open negotiations with The Wembley Stadium. Nothing else, because The Colonel made together with Elvis final decisions and agreements. I guess that if there would have been made a final agreement, then The Colonel would have asked someone from The Wembley Stadium to USA to make public announcement. But we can only speculate till the ends of times (and beyond too!) how things would have gone...

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

You believe that? Why would Charles Stone negotiate with the venue? Did he have any sort of expertise in that area? What a joke.

PetriTCB
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by PetriTCB »

midnightx wrote:You believe that? Why would Charles Stone negotiate with the venue? Did he have any sort of expertise in that area? What a joke.
Yes, I believe that. By the way: Ed Bonja can confirm this case. You know Ed Bonja? It was The Colonel's order to Charles Stone to start negotiations with The Wembley Stadium, although there has been already some correspondents on summer 1977 between The Colonel and The Wembley Stadium.

bquick
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by bquick »

I still have severe doubts...col wasn't even booking Elvis into big time US venues, and after the abortion that was the EIC, Parker decided THAT was the time to take Elvis worldwide?

Rock Chalk, Jailhouse Rock, KU

Ricky
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Ricky »

TCB-FAN wrote:Charles Stone....another hack trying to reap money off the Presley name. Pathetic at best.
Not really, Your statement is more cruel than objective. I doubt he thought his book was going to sell millions after almost 30 years of being content with his own memories. Someone had to work for the Colonel, someone had to do the jobs at hand. I think it was nice of him to share information from the inside of the tours. I imagine Bruce Jackson's memories would have been probably be along the same lines.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Ricky wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:Charles Stone....another hack trying to reap money off the Presley name. Pathetic at best.
Not really, Your statement is more cruel than objective. I doubt he thought his book was going to sell millions after almost 30 years of being content with his own memories. Someone had to work for the Colonel, someone had to do the jobs at hand. I think it was nice of him to share information from the inside of the tours. I imagine Bruce Jackson's memories would have been probably be along the same lines.
I doubt Bruce Jackson would have given himself a more significant role than what was reality in the Presley/Parker camp had he written a book. Sorry, but no one in Stone's position would have been negotiating venue rental agreements with international venues. Parker was more sophisticated than that - had Parker secured international touring dates, he would have reached out to those with expertise. That is why it is known he contacted Peter Grant about overseeing a European tour on his behalf. That seems more plausible than Parker sending out Stone to lock in a venue in a foreign country.

Ricky
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Ricky »

Yes, on the international agreements I agree. Apart of, but not spearheading.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

Parker probably asked Charles to give an insight into the costs over oversees touring.
I don't doubt there was contact between Charles and for example Wembley people.
This must have been very brief as almost nothing showed up in Charles' book.
Just a sentence or two.
To a key subject as this, I expected a little more from this advance man..

Now if a UK or europe tour would have really emerged, I'm sure the colonel would have handled most details himself..

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Robert wrote:Now if a UK or europe tour would have really emerged, I'm sure the colonel would have handled most details himself..
Doubtful.