Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Scarre
Registered for: 21 years

Charles Stone

Post by Scarre »

Happened to read a short interview in todays newspaper. The show "Forever Elvis" is, sadly, coming here...
But, that is not what this thread is about. It´s about what he says at the end of the interview that makes me wonder...
He actually claims that when EP died he was in top shape.
If we didn´t know better, we could suspect he never even met EP...

http://epaper.hbl.fi/#/20

The link will only work today. It´s in swedish so most of you won´t get anything out of it anyway.

nod3million
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Charles Stone

Post by nod3million »

I didnt see the link but I know from meeting Charles Stone that he has very little of any worth to say about Elvis. He thinks he knows more than he does, is very pro Parker as well and wont hear a bad word against him. I'd say Elvis didn't really know who he was.

Lennart
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Lennart »

Thanks for sharing Scarre.
Elvis was in top shape when he died, Yeah right :roll:

Lennart

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

Well, Elvis probably knew who he was.. being backstage at hundreds of shows etc.
But he sure didn't have a role into the Elvis inner circle.
It was the Parker side of the business, that's it.

His book had a few nice details but he also mentioned the CBS special went good as planned.
I call it rose coloured glasses..
Mentioning Elvis was in great shape in '77 makes this guy a joke.

But he had a job many people would have liked to have..

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

His significance was such that he was credited in "Elvis In Concert" as "Stage Production Coordinator." He clearly played a role on the production side, working with Concerts West and Colonel's staff.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Scarre wrote:He actually claims that when EP died he was in top shape.
That pretty much sums up his credibility, doesn't it?
elvisjock wrote:His significance was such that he was credited in "Elvis In Concert" as "Stage Production Coordinator." He clearly played a role on the production side, working with Concerts West and Colonel's staff.
Yes, he played a role (as many others did) with staging and production set-up; but that doesn't mean he knows anything about Elvis or even the inner-workings of Tom Parker's business. He is a nobody and hack.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

midnightx wrote:
Scarre wrote:He actually claims that when EP died he was in top shape.
That pretty much sums up his credibility, doesn't it?
elvisjock wrote:His significance was such that he was credited in "Elvis In Concert" as "Stage Production Coordinator." He clearly played a role on the production side, working with Concerts West and Colonel's staff.
Yes, he played a role (as many others did) with staging and production set-up; but that doesn't mean he knows anything about Elvis or even the inner-workings of Tom Parker's business. He is a nobody and hack.
Strong words. One might presume there's a back story behind the name calling.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

There is no back story. It just gets tiresome hearing people who were associated with one aspect of Elvis' business operation for a certain period of time assert they were far more influential and important than they were. The embellishment does not bring any clarity or credible information to the story of one of music's greatest artists.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Let's say he was part of Elvis' circle, rather than Colonel's. Where would rank him in the heirarchy? He's certainly no Esposito. Is he Al Strada? Billy Stanley? Albert, the yard man?

I read his book, and didn't have strong feelings one way or the other. I've also seen the video he made with Esposito, Schilling, Grob, Al Dvorn and Colonel's widow. Again, it was a collection of nice stories. It's not as if he's claiming he had type of influence over what Elvis did.

I'm just curious as to why mention of the guy seems to push your buttons?

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

elvisjock wrote:Let's say he was part of Elvis' circle, rather than Colonel's. Where would rank him in the heirarchy? He's certainly no Esposito. Is he Al Strada? Billy Stanley? Albert, the yard man?
Mary Jenkins or like you pointed out, the guy who trimmed his hedges and mowed his lawn.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

midnightx wrote:It just gets tiresome hearing people who were associated with one aspect of Elvis' business operation for a certain period of time assert they were far more influential and important than they were.
I don't think Charles ever claimed a highly influential role.. if so please share.
He's just sharing some of his stories he experienced organizing Elvis tours and working with the Colonel.

Give the guy a break.

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

I know the photos used in that recent book of his were used without permission, they were only supplied inn the hope of jogging some memories.

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

PetriTCB
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by PetriTCB »

Below is the translation of that interview. Please note that Charles actually said that "Elvis VOICE was in top shape when he died".

Side by side with Elvis

The former tour manager told of screaming girls, dazzling camera flashes and being in the right place at the right time. Charles Stone stood by elvis side until his death in 1977.

He had everything. Good looking guy and could also sing. Women went crazy, "Said Charles Stone in tow Texas dialekt. He sits leaning back in one of the massive armchair in one of the massive armchairs in one of Helsinki's finest hotels, and is strongly reminiscent of Sean Connery.

Stone sold the concert tickets in Alamaba when he was called by Elvis Presley's manager The Colonel Tom Parker increasing. "Good job, came here!", said Parker.

The 24-year-old Stone packed his bags and went to Las Vegas. There was a seven years collaboration that lasted until the king's death.

As tour manager lived Stone with the legendary icon and turn machinery. Most focused on the job to Elvis from the limo to his hotel room. It was forbidden to speak to the king. In two weeks left Stone and Elvis along the corridors, side by side, until Elvis one days stretched out her hand and said "Hi, I'm Elvis Presley".

- As if I had not known it!", says Stone with a laugh.

Stone describes Elvis as a humble man. It was called "Yes Ma'am, Yes Sir", regardless of who he was talking to. Elvis lived to entertain. No one else could enlightening Stone have such an audience hysteria about. The air vibrated with excitement when he got up on stage.

- Elvis could never go out, he lived his life between hotel rooms and stage. He was a prisoner in his own fame, says Stone.

Why Elvis is still so incredibly popular is in dispute. Of course he was an icon, a pioneer and a charismatic entertainer. But how great seventies Vegas-times with Elvis in the white, rhinestone-decorated romper suit has been etched into the public aware of is a mystery.

- He was in great shape when he died, handsome and charismatic. That's why everyone will remember him, said Stone.

With the crowd alive with a tragic picture of a dangerously overweight and drug dependency, deeply unhappy man. A dying man.

- There are stories of all, with drugs, I have not seen or heard anything about so I say nothing, said Stone. As long as everyone laughs and is glad it is all right.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

PetriTCB wrote:Below is the translation of that interview. Please note that Charles actually said that "Elvis VOICE was in top shape when he died".
Strangely, that is not what we see below.
- He was in great shape when he died, handsome and charismatic. That's why everyone will remember him, said Stone.
Again, voice or no voice, there's not much credibility in that statement.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

PetriTCB

Post by PetriTCB »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
PetriTCB wrote:Below is the translation of that interview. Please note that Charles actually said that "Elvis VOICE was in top shape when he died".
Strangely, that is not what we see below.
Again, voice or no voice, there's not much credibility in that statement.
I try again... I just translated from word to word what Ms. Elsa Kemppainen WROTE to her article. Charles Stone said that Elvis' VOICE was in top shape. He DID NOT mentioned Elvis' health in any way. I left only one line away: "Hur allt slutade haller han tyst om". That was Swedish and in English it is that "How it all ended, he keeps silent about". Charles doesn't understand what that means. He didn't say anything like that...

Here are some facts about Charles Stone:
- He got a TCB necklace from Elvis and he still have it. Sonny West can confirms this.
- He was a member of Colonel's Snowmen League. George Parkhill, Tom Hulett, Jerry Weintraub and Loanne Parker can confirm this, because they were there.
- He got a gold record from RIAA which was dedicated to him. That record's title is From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee, and he still have it today on the wall.
- He still has a TCB jacket which he got from Elvis.
- He was mentioned on credits of Elvis in Concert tv-special as "stage procuction coordinator".
- Ed Bonja among others can confirm that he really worked for Elvis.
- The president of The Official Elvis Presley Fan Club of Great Britain, Todd Slaughter, wrote in the '80s that "Elvis was coming to perform in Wembley Arena for one week on Spring/Summer 1978."

Sure there are more documents... A lot of them!

By the way: There are only four known men in the World who has got TCB necklage and membership of Snowmen League's. They are Ed Bonja, Sam Thompson, Dick Grob and Charles Stone.

The Colonel, Tom Diskin among others have never tell or write anything about theirs years with Elvis touring and other managements things. Charles Stone was the first person to tell about those things. Ed Bonja is currently making a book of working with Elvis and The Colonel. But everything is open regarding when that book will be ready to print. Only working title of book is made by Ed: It is The Elvis Presley Show.

If you find any mistake of this message, would you kindly state it and correct it too, please!

drjohncarpenter

PetriTCB wrote:I try again... I just translated from word to word what Ms. Elsa Kemppainen WROTE to her article. Charles Stone said that Elvis' VOICE was in top shape.
OK, let's reconsider the statement Stone makes.

In August 1977, Elvis Presley's voice was in "top shape"?

I don't think so.

Also, to what was Stone referring when he said "handsome and charismatic"?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

PetriTCB

Post by PetriTCB »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
PetriTCB wrote:I try again... I just translated from word to word what Ms. Elsa Kemppainen WROTE to her article. Charles Stone said that Elvis' VOICE was in top shape.

I don't think so.

Well... We all have our opinions. To me Elvis' voice in tv-special, when he sung My Way, How Great Thou Art, Unchained Melody (This song was not on that special, but was released later) proved that Elvis had still great voice in the end of his life. I don't remember that Charles said "handsome" to writer, but I remember that he said that Elvis was "charismatic", and he sure was that always, even when he was over weighted!!! But that's my opinion only.

That interview session lasted about 45-minutes. A lot of stuff was removed away when Ms. Elsa kemppainen wrote her article.

bquick
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by bquick »

What is this about playing wembley? If he claimed that it is bogus.

Rock Chalk, Jailhouse Rock, KU

PetriTCB

Post by PetriTCB »

bquick wrote:What is this about playing wembley? If he claimed that it is bogus.
A LOT OF OTHER sources can confirm that there were planning Elvis' shows in Wembley Stadium. So far as I know the president of The Official Elvis Presley Fan Club of Great Britain, Mr. Todd Slaughter was the first and only(?) one, who said it to public. RCA Record Tours and The Colonel started negotiations on summer 1977 with Wembley Stadium. RCA United Kingdom knew that negotiation. Charles Stone had already tickets to London to fly just after Elvis' August tour.

The tentative plan was that Elvis performes on every night during one week in Wembley Stadium.

bquick
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by bquick »

Any documentation?

Rock Chalk, Jailhouse Rock, KU

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years

Post by TCB-FAN »

Charles Stone....another hack trying to reap money off the Presley name. Pathetic at best.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I don't think so.

Well, as a very fat looking man ( mostly fluid retention) he was still better looking than MOST thin Americans. He of course could not compete with himself in his earlier years. But, you go out and take a look out there, and there are mostly average to below average good looking folks. And I am being nice. Charisma? He had that card up his sleeve most of the time. IMO! ::rocks

PetriTCB

Post by PetriTCB »

bquick wrote:Any documentation?
I guess that there are some documentations in the The Colonel's vault in Graceland. Mr. Todd Slaughter could have too and maybe Wembley Stadium's office could(?) have someting... As I wrote: Everything was in the beginning regarding those Wembley performances. There was not made any final agreement yet.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

PetriTCB wrote:
bquick wrote:Any documentation?
I guess that there are some documentations in the The Colonel's vault in Graceland. Mr. Todd Slaughter could have too and maybe Wembley Stadium's office could(?) have someting... As I wrote: Everything was in the beginning regarding those Wembley performances. There was not made any final agreement yet.
All conjecture. I don't entirely doubt that Parker's next move for 1978 was going to be some international touring dates, but there is no way a mid-level promoter employee like Charles Stone would have had any significant role in laying the foundation for such a venture.

drjohncarpenter

PetriTCB wrote:Well... We all have our opinions. To me Elvis' voice in tv-special, when he sung My Way, How Great Thou Art, Unchained Melody (This song was not on that special, but was released later) proved that Elvis had still great voice in the end of his life.
There is opinion and there is fact. It is a fact Elvis' voice at this time was in bad shape.

Case-in-point, the majority of the songs taped by CBS in 1977:

June 19
C.C. Rider
I Got A Woman / Amen
That's All Right
Are You Lonesome To-night?
Love Me

Fairytale
Little Sister
Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel

And I Love You So
Jailhouse Rock
How Great Thou Art
Early Morning Rain
What'd I Say
Johnny B Goode

I Really Don't Want To Know
Hurt
Hound Dog
O Sole Mio / It's Now Or Never
Can't Help Falling In Love

June 21
C.C. Rider
I Got A Woman / Amen
That's All Right

Are You Lonesome To-night?
Love Me
If You Love Me (Let Me Know)
You Gave Me A Mountain
Jailhouse Rock
O Sole Mio / It's Now Or Never
Tryin' To Get To You
Hawaiian Wedding Song
Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel
My Way
Early Morning Rain
What'd I Say
Johnny B Goode

I Really Don't Want To Know
Hurt
Hound Dog
Unchained Melody
Can't Help Falling In Love

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.