ELVIS MOVIE CONFIRMED

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

TkoTzer
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Re: ELVIS MOVIE CONFIRMED

Post by TkoTzer »

What about using cgi to put whoever the actor is on elvis' body for live footage. They have great/high quality film footage of Elvis from That's the Way it Is, Aloha, Elvis In Concert. They could just inset the actors head on Elvis's body and then you still keep the basic mannerisms, etc. For early footage, use this same technology. They inserted Tom Hanks into old footage in Forrest Gump and that was 15 years ago. I assume technology is even better now.

Topic author
PEP
Registered for: 21 years

Post by PEP »

Joe Car wrote: I know his looks don't match that of Elvis', but he has the appeal going for him right now. Women love this guy for some reason!
The same was being said and thought about Jonathan Rhys Meyers and we all know how that turned out.
For this project...CGI is the only way to go......as we would get something like this instead.
PEP 8)

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

CGI Elvis will never happen for a biopic on him, never in a million years.

A really great actor is the only way to go.

Bella
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Bella »

JamesVRoy wrote: I've been holding off posting in this thread because I have some dope on the meeting with Peter in Memphis and a few tidbits but I haven't heard back yet whether I'm at liberty to say anything.
This sounds interesting......Any beans to spill yet James???

Foodie fa fa faaaaa....

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

I don't see why any chosen actor should look like a Presley clone.

Any decent actor will make you believe he is Elvis

Meryl Streep for instance as Julia Childs.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

vbgt wrote:They always get these 5'5" guys to play him.
The guys who have played Elvis have ranged from about 5'9 to 6'4, so average to very tall. None were short.

Topic author
PEP

Post by PEP »

Matthew wrote:CGI Elvis will never happen for a biopic on him, never in a million years.
Hmm well Matthew, I doubt it will be that long.... :wink:
I want you to watch a few things. Some of what is talked about and seen
in these videos posted below. You may be surprised how far and how good the
CGI Technology has come, especially through the company Image Metrics .
http://www.image-metrics.com/
Please watch videos right through till the end, as there are important things to notice
which could take in account in what could be done with this up coming Elvis movie.
If the right thought and imagination could take place.
Bottom line, the technology is in place and the right budget would help bring this technology
much further quicker using an recognizable name like Elvis Presley for a movie.
EPE should be on aboard with this technology, for many reasons, since they control the
likeness and image of Elvis Presley. Next for them would be to Bring back Elvis in halogram form
In Concert...this would be just the first step in doing just that.

A really great actor is the only way to go.
Either that or CGI with up to par voice duplication.
Vide Metrics I'm sure could do amazing things with this scene as a example.
...starting at 4:26. The scence could be changed to make it appear Elvis is talking about Parker.
PEP 8)

JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by JamesVRoy »

Bella wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote: I've been holding off posting in this thread because I have some dope on the meeting with Peter in Memphis and a few tidbits but I haven't heard back yet whether I'm at liberty to say anything.
Its not all that interesting but I haven't heard back one way or the other so I'm going to hazard that they're indifferent (as to what I say).

Peter met with John Fusco a screenwriter on the project that has apparently been green-lighted by Fox. He toured Memphis with John a few weeks ago visiting the Audubon Drive house and Elvis's Lauderdale Courts apartment as well as Sun. The idea, or Peter's suggestion anyway, is to have a film that would cover 2 years and end with the Russwood Park show in 56. Peter's idea is to have the last line in the film be Elvis's statement (to the crowd @ that show) "those people in NY ain't gonna change me none."
In the course of the day they started figuring who the guy to play Sam should be and thought Johnny Depp. Fusco called Johnny on the spot and he loved the idea and wants to do it (of course as Peter sez that means almost nothing, but it was cool!). Everybody is in agreement that they will have to find a newcomer to play E - Fox was hot for Leonardo Dicaprio who turned it down flat over and over (Thank God).

This is all speculative though, Guralnick has been here 4 times before with them wanting to do his book. Personally I like the idea of the two year thing, before most of the BS. Its a story more easily told in the time frame, whether they do it or not is anyones guess (or speculation here.). That's all I got.

Elvisfan10
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by Elvisfan10 »

One thing that has been done with actors who pass away before a project could be complete, like Oliver Reed in Gladiator is explained here: "Oliver Reed suffered a fatal heart attack during principal photography. Some of his sequences had to be re-edited and a double photographed in the shadows and with a 3D CGI mask of Reed's face, was used as a stand-in. The film is dedicated to his memory." -IMDB.

I have noticed that everyone who impersonates Elvis is WAY to stiff; they look like they were trying too hard. Elvis moved naturally, he didn't have try at all. No matter what they do if this even gets made it won't ever be the same. Give me real, raw, unedited Elvis footage any day and I'll be satisfied. People need to see the REAL Elvis, not an actor or CGI replica. Nobody could ever cut it when it comes to Elvis Presley. He was unique. Even people who try to imitate his voice are over dramatizing his voice in a very mocking, ridiculous manner.

Good Time Charlie
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by Good Time Charlie »

JamesVRoy wrote:
Bella wrote:
Its not all that interesting but I haven't heard back one way or the other so I'm going to hazard that they're indifferent (as to what I say).

Peter met with John Fusco a screenwriter on the project that has apparently been green-lighted by Fox. He toured Memphis with John a few weeks ago visiting the Audubon Drive house and Elvis's Lauderdale Courts apartment as well as Sun. The idea, or Peter's suggestion anyway, is to have a film that would cover 2 years and end with the Russwood Park show in 56. Peter's idea is to have the last line in the film be Elvis's statement (to the crowd @ that show) "those people in NY ain't gonna change me none."
In the course of the day they started figuring who the guy to play Sam should be and thought Johnny Depp. Fusco called Johnny on the spot and he loved the idea and wants to do it (of course as Peter sez that means almost nothing, but it was cool!). Everybody is in agreement that they will have to find a newcomer to play E - Fox was hot for Leonardo Dicaprio who turned it down flat over and over (Thank God).

This is all speculative though, Guralnick has been here 4 times before with them wanting to do his book. Personally I like the idea of the two year thing, before most of the BS. Its a story more easily told in the time frame, whether they do it or not is anyones guess (or speculation here.). That's all I got.
Fantastic, thanks for sharing. Sounds bloody exciting!

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"

Topic author
PEP

Post by PEP »

Thanks Jim, for the update....better late they never for the thank you :wink:

With respect to CGI animation. I'm a little surprised nobody brought up "Tron Legacy".
I just watched the movie for the first time, last night.

In this movie sequel, Jeff Bridges has a CGI double through out the movie.
The double is made to look like a 32 year old Jeff Bridges.
Now keep in mind "Tron Legacy" cost Disney $200 million. But that is because of
all the other special effects involved in the movie.
For this Elvis movie as a example. The special effects department would only be dealing with
one character and that character would be Elvis. Tho it might be rather interesting to see other
characters come to life as well. Like Sam Philips, Colonel Parker, Scotty Moore, Bill Black,
Red West, etc.

Anyway, here's a clip explaining about Bridges CGI double.
PEP 8)

joshferrell
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by joshferrell »

I think that Jim Belushi would make a great older Elvis from the 70's

Bella
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Bella »

Good Time Charlie wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:
Bella wrote:

Fantastic, thanks for sharing. Sounds bloody exciting!
It does!! Thanks for the update James. John Fusco wrote the script for "Crossroads" according to IMDB....I haven't seen it, but it got some good reviews so that's hopeful.

I really like the idea of taking a 'slice of life' approach to Elvis' career rather than going for the big sweep across the years which has been done to death and not that well. Everyone knows the basic arc of the story, but not many know much about the detail. There's no shortage of HUGE personalities from that period (Sam Phillips, Col Parker, Dewey Phillips) plus tons of great anecdotes both funny and moving. I would argue that Elvis' story hasn't even begun to be told onscreen. With a decent screenplay and actors like Johnny Depp on board, it could be good....

Foodie fa fa faaaaa....