Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:01 pm

Talking about "You Gave Me a Mountain". I got to know this song through Elvis' version, and I've heard many, many versions by him of this one. But to be honest, to me, just like "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by S&G, the original is at least as good or better. Marty was a great vocalist, one of the greatest. His "Ghost Riders In The Sky" is also the definitive version IMO. Another great Robbins song that would have fitted Elvis well is "Some Memories Just Won't Die", if executed with a sparse arrangement.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:32 pm

midnightx wrote:
ranskal wrote: We can say he shouldn't have done all those movies, he shouldn't have played Vegas year after year, he should have toured the world, he should have had an artistic direction when he went into the studio in the '70s, etc...but the fact of the matter is what happened, happened, and it can't be changed.

Exactly - and there is no reason to overrate and glorify the results simply because they happened.

ranskal wrote:It was Elvis' choice to do what he did and he obviously must have felt it was the right thing for him.

That is where your argument hits a brick wall. Elvis may have "chosen" to record some of the substandard recordings that surfaced on his '70s output, but it certainly wasn't because he turned down alternative superior recordings and this middle of the road crap was what he felt was "the right thing for him." Choosing between an elephant brick and a cow patty doesn't mean the choice is a well-thought out one representing the artistic and creative wishes of the artist. Elvis' mediocre-to-substandard output from the era was not due to a committed effort on his part; the music that represented his final years as a recording artist came about due to mismanagement of one of the greatest music artists in history by others who were in control. That in itself is quite a tragedy.

ranskal wrote:In reading some of the other posts, it looks like Elvis had some success with My Boy.

Elvis would have had "success" with a wide-range of mediocre MOR/easy listening songs - that doesn't mean the songs were good. All it means is Elvis' tremendous talent could elevate even the weakest of songs presented to him.

I understand what you are saying and it has been documented in books about how issues with publishing rights and full control have made writers not want to work with Elvis...I get that. And I would agree with your last statement as well.

The problem I have is people are different and music hits them differently. Just because someone may say I like the song My Boy or Love Song Of The Year, doesn't mean they are overrating it or glorifying it. It means they like the song. It could be the melody, it could be the performance, it could be the lyrics...whatever it is, it strikes a chord with that person and they like it. To have someone else who may not like these songs refer to them as (I'll use terms from this board) crap, garbage, schmaltz, bellowing, etc..., is disheartening. This happens constantly on this board by people and it gets old. To me, those people lose any credibility they may have or they think they may have.

There are plenty songs, artists (many talked about on here), movies, books, etc... that I could care less for, but I'm not going to sit there and tell people they are crap. To each their own. I'm just glad they have something they can escape to and something they enjoy.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Amen to that.

There's room for everybody and SOMETHING for everybody!

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:28 pm

James27 wrote:Talking about "You Gave Me a Mountain". I got to know this song through Elvis' version, and I've heard many, many versions by him of this one. But to be honest, to me, just like "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by S&G, the original is at least as good or better. Marty was a great vocalist, one of the greatest. His "Ghost Riders In The Sky" is also the definitive version IMO. Another great Robbins song that would have fitted Elvis well is "Some Memories Just Won't Die", if executed with a sparse arrangement.

Unfortunately Elvis never got to hear it. And somehow it was Marty's farewell tune. Beautiful song.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Elfan wrote:
midnightx wrote:That is where your argument hits a brick wall. Elvis may have "chosen" to record some of the substandard recordings that surfaced on his '70s output, but it certainly wasn't because he turned down alternative superior recordings and this middle of the road crap was what he felt was "the right thing for him." Choosing between an elephant brick and a cow patty doesn't mean the choice is a well-thought out one representing the artistic and creative wishes of the artist. Elvis' mediocre-to-substandard output from the era was not due to a committed effort on his part; the music that represented his final years as a recording artist came about due to mismanagement of one of the greatest music artists in history by others who were in control. That in itself is quite a tragedy.

Maybe so....but Elvis certainly could choose exactly what he sang on stage and he sang 'My Boy' live several times - before he had even recorded it.

And how interesting is it that after this astounding, #1 Adult Contemporary hit was released by RCA in January 1975 -- happy 40th birthday, Elvis! -- it was performed at less than one third of concerts between March and December 1975 (34 out of 107 gigs), and NEVER again after that. There were hundreds of Elvis shows were to come in 1976-77, and the most Elvis did of the wondrous "My Boy" was a one-liner in 1977.

How odd!

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:42 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:As my unsourced article illustrates, many teenagers in the UK were becoming new fans at the time, partly because of this wonderful song.

And the Man performed it beautifully on stage before recording it.

Yes, clearly EP and UK teens loved "My Boy" very, very much!

Plus, it hit #1 in Norway!

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elfan wrote:
midnightx wrote:That is where your argument hits a brick wall. Elvis may have "chosen" to record some of the substandard recordings that surfaced on his '70s output, but it certainly wasn't because he turned down alternative superior recordings and this middle of the road crap was what he felt was "the right thing for him." Choosing between an elephant brick and a cow patty doesn't mean the choice is a well-thought out one representing the artistic and creative wishes of the artist. Elvis' mediocre-to-substandard output from the era was not due to a committed effort on his part; the music that represented his final years as a recording artist came about due to mismanagement of one of the greatest music artists in history by others who were in control. That in itself is quite a tragedy.

Maybe so....but Elvis certainly could choose exactly what he sang on stage and he sang 'My Boy' live several times - before he had even recorded it.

And how interesting is it that after this astounding, #1 Adult Contemporary hit was released by RCA in January 1975 -- happy 40th birthday, Elvis! -- it was performed at less than one third of concerts between March and December 1975 (34 out of 107 gigs), and NEVER again after that. There were hundreds of Elvis shows were to come in 1976-77, and the most Elvis did of the wondrous "My Boy" was a one-liner in 1977.

How odd!

Clearly, the King knew that un-like his reworkings of his dated hits of the 1950's, he could not improve upon this modern classic.

It was best that he let the magnificent worldwide hit of "My Boy" stand on its own.

My biggest regret of that era was that he never performed the brilliant "Last Farewell" in concert.

Elvis certainly loved Roger Whittaker very, very much!

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:00 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Clearly, the King knew that un-like his reworkings of his dated hits of the 1950's, he could not improve upon this modern classic.

It was best that he let the magnificent worldwide hit of "My Boy" stand on its own.

My biggest regret of that era was that he never performed the brilliant "Last Farewell" in concert.

Elvis certainly loved Roger Whittaker very, very much!

Now, that's funny, I don't care who you are.

It is a shame Elvis never launched "The Last Farewell" at a 1976 or 1977 concert. It would have been a special moment.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:14 am

Truth in humor, my friend.

The great Mr. W did a brilliantly stunning version of "Hound Dog" during his 1980 American Tour. It became a signature song for the Modern Minstrel. In fact, more people associate the song now with Rog than the outdated mono EP recording.

Clearly, Mr. Whittaker loves Elvis very, very much.

http://www.lyricsty.com/roger-whittaker ... yrics.html

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:35 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Truth in humor, my friend.

Is there? ;-)

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:02 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:
James27 wrote:Talking about "You Gave Me a Mountain". I got to know this song through Elvis' version, and I've heard many, many versions by him of this one. But to be honest, to me, just like "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by S&G, the original is at least as good or better. Marty was a great vocalist, one of the greatest. His "Ghost Riders In The Sky" is also the definitive version IMO. Another great Robbins song that would have fitted Elvis well is "Some Memories Just Won't Die", if executed with a sparse arrangement.

Unfortunately Elvis never got to hear it. And somehow it was Marty's farewell tune. Beautiful song.

Yes, I agree. First time I heard it from Marty, it brough tears to my eyes, although I'm certainly not one to frequently have that reaction to music. I feel emotions inside, but usually don't let them out this way. I had the same with Elvis' Bringing It Back, another song I know isn't exceptionally popular with most Elvis fans, but it triggers something inside me. And that's what music is all about I guess, what it means to someone personally.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:52 am

James27 wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

Yes, I agree. First time I heard it from Marty, it brough tears to my eyes, although I'm certainly not one to frequently have that reaction to music. I feel emotions inside, but usually don't let them out this way. I had the same with Elvis' Bringing It Back, another song I know isn't exceptionally popular with most Elvis fans, but it triggers something inside me. And that's what music is all about I guess, what it means to someone personally.

Absolutely. There are a whole bunch of Elvis songs that bring tears to my eyes - but of course only when I'm by myself.

Would be a good idea for an album: "ELVIS PRESLEY - TEARJERKERS". And I wouldn't include "My Boy". :D

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:55 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:And how interesting is it that after this astounding, #1 Adult Contemporary hit was released by RCA in January 1975 -- happy 40th birthday, Elvis! -- it was performed at less than one third of concerts between March and December 1975 (34 out of 107 gigs), and NEVER again after that. There were hundreds of Elvis shows were to come in 1976-77, and the most Elvis did of the wondrous "My Boy" was a one-liner in 1977.

How odd!

And how many times did he sing 'Promised Land' live during that period? You have to wonder which of the two he preferred.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:49 pm

Good point - both songs are from 1973, and "My Boy" is the one he turned to the most out of the two.

It was one of the first 'new' songs of Elvis' that I heard on the radio and it grew on me straightaway. I can see why this British-flavoured song would be deservedly in the top 5 in the UK.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:58 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Would be a good idea for an album: "ELVIS PRESLEY - TEARJERKERS". And I wouldn't include "My Boy". :D

This one fits the bill, even if your version wouldn't include track #3. :wink:

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:21 pm

The lyrics for "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" may have given Elvis trouble...there are a LOT of them in quick order. In the 70s, the artists didn't have computer monitors with the lyrics to read.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:16 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:The lyrics for "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" may have given Elvis trouble...there are a LOT of them in quick order. In the 70s, the artists didn't have computer monitors with the lyrics to read.

It wasn't the lyrics that gave Elvis the problem with this song in 1975 concerts, but lack of rehearsal. If you want to perform a song then you learn it, simple as that. Actors learn whole plays, opera singers learn whole operas - it shouldn't be a problem. Elvis was 40, not 70 - his memory was just fine, he just couldn't be bothered to put the work in. This is a shame as the studio recording is a fine piece of work (I much prefer it over Promised Land), and was even a change in direction being very much more in the Jerry Lee Lewis style than Presley's own. It was still impressive on stage when it all came together, but more often than not the lack of rehearsal was all too evident.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:22 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote: ... The lyrics for "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" may have given Elvis trouble...there are a LOT of them in quick order. In the 70s, the artists didn't have computer monitors with the lyrics to read ...

What about plates with the words on it. Some member of The Beatles can hold them high. So Elvis can read them.

You know: The Beatles love Elvis very very much.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Elfan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:And how interesting is it that after this astounding, #1 Adult Contemporary hit was released by RCA in January 1975 -- happy 40th birthday, Elvis! -- it was performed at less than one third of concerts between March and December 1975 (34 out of 107 gigs), and NEVER again after that. There were hundreds of Elvis shows were to come in 1976-77, and the most Elvis did of the wondrous "My Boy" was a one-liner in 1977.

How odd!

And how many times did he sing 'Promised Land' live during that period? You have to wonder which of the two he preferred.

We're having a jolly discussion about "My Boy," and it's relevant that this incredible single was given few performances after its 1975 release.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:46 pm

Eggrert wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Would be a good idea for an album: "ELVIS PRESLEY - TEARJERKERS". And I wouldn't include "My Boy". :D

This one fits the bill, even if your version wouldn't include track #3. :wink:

Absolutely! I recall being very, very sad when listening to that album for the first time - I was a mere twelve years old!