Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:41 pm

ranskal wrote:The only realities "fan-boys" need to realize are whether they like something or not. Instead of crying about what something is or isn't, why not just enjoy it for what it actually is? Either you like something or you don't...it's really that simple. If you don't like it...sweet, move on from it and don't listen to it.

Why people try to convince other people that enjoy something, that its a piece of crap or garbage really tells a lot about the individual. Instead of bashing something and arguing with people about it, skip over the topic and don't post. There is no value being added with those types of comments.

Musical taste and what people like are different for each person. There is no right or wrong.


You miss the point.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ranskal wrote:The only realities "fan-boys" need to realize are whether they like something or not. Instead of crying about what something is or isn't, why not just enjoy it for what it actually is? Either you like something or you don't...it's really that simple. If you don't like it...sweet, move on from it and don't listen to it.

Why people try to convince other people that enjoy something, that its a piece of crap or garbage really tells a lot about the individual. Instead of bashing something and arguing with people about it, skip over the topic and don't post. There is no value being added with those types of comments.

Musical taste and what people like are different for each person. There is no right or wrong.


You miss the point.


Or perhaps you do.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:54 pm

Listening to the recording session of "My Boy" it only confirms what Iván said... :)

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:55 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ranskal wrote:The only realities "fan-boys" need to realize are whether they like something or not. Instead of crying about what something is or isn't, why not just enjoy it for what it actually is? Either you like something or you don't...it's really that simple. If you don't like it...sweet, move on from it and don't listen to it.

Why people try to convince other people that enjoy something, that its a piece of crap or garbage really tells a lot about the individual. Instead of bashing something and arguing with people about it, skip over the topic and don't post. There is no value being added with those types of comments.

Musical taste and what people like are different for each person. There is no right or wrong.


You miss the point.


Or perhaps you do.


Coming from you, that's a laugh.

No, the point is clear to anyone who lives in the real world. Like me. ;-)

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:58 pm

You Gave Me a Mountain is far better than My Boy (I speak only about Elvis's versions of these songs).

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:22 pm

I always liked the song as well, and wouldn't care if I was the only one in the world to do so. Music is a very personal thing. "My Boy" was one of a handful of songs I remember clearly being played frequently on the radio when I was a child in the late 70s and eighties, together with "In The Ghetto", "Suspicious Minds", "Return To Sender" and some others. Strange that one song has become such a big issue to even divide Elvis fans into camps. Weird. :roll:

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:26 pm

When In Rome wrote:
midnightx wrote:... Elvis' arguable "move" into MOR and easy listening territory wasn't exactly a conscious, artistic choice -- it was done mostly out of a lack of direction from his management, label and producer. Elvis was lost and the music he recorded clearly proves this point. As fans, we can often find the redeeming qualities in songs that he should not have been recording, but that doesn't mean there should be a hyper-defense and justification campaign in support of the overall direction of the material he ended up recording.

Some of the home recordings he did in the sixties sound MOR to me, and he chose these himself, no record company or music publishers there, I think Elvis saw himself more than just a rock n roll singer, much to the chagrin of many of us...

Yes, "home recordings" - meaning private moments captured on amateur tape machines outside the confines of recording studios and concert stages. The fact that Elvis sang a wide range of material in private for enjoyment has nothing to do with what transpired during the '70s because Elvis did not go into sessions with the goal of creating an eclectic mix of material. No one on this message board has ever asserted that Elvis should have solely been a "rock n roll singer." During the '70s, Elvis rarely if ever went into recording projects with a vision for the sessions. He simply showed up to fulfill his contractual obligations. Once there, he and Felton and a few others would rummage through various songs and demos in hopes of finding 20-30 suitable songs to record in hopes of filling out 2-3 albums plus singles. The whole enterprise was an act of desperation; not a creative process designed to generate artistically satisfying and commercial albums. And Elvis' artistic legacy suffered because of it. So, it really doesn't matter if Elvis enjoyed singing Mona Lisa or Spanish Eyes in private; the job of manager, producer and A&R personnel was to provide creative insight into what was appropriate and what was not appropriate for recording sessions. It is safe to assume that it would not have been difficult to dissuade Elvis from singing inappropriate songs even if he had the interest -- guys like Binder and Moman were able to get Elvis' ear and convince him to follow their creative and artistic vision and goals. By essentially leaving it up to Diskin and Jarvis, Elvis simply was flailing away in the studio hoping to get through the proceedings as quickly as humanly possible. There was no reasonable reason for Elvis to have been laying down masters of Love Song Of The Year and My Boy -- he didn't do it because he was determined to record those substandard tracks, he did it because he had few other options. And that is what makes it so disappointing.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ranskal wrote:The only realities "fan-boys" need to realize are whether they like something or not. Instead of crying about what something is or isn't, why not just enjoy it for what it actually is? Either you like something or you don't...it's really that simple. If you don't like it...sweet, move on from it and don't listen to it.

Why people try to convince other people that enjoy something, that its a piece of crap or garbage really tells a lot about the individual. Instead of bashing something and arguing with people about it, skip over the topic and don't post. There is no value being added with those types of comments.

Musical taste and what people like are different for each person. There is no right or wrong.


You miss the point.


I guess I am missing the point...what is the point?

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:47 pm

ranskal wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ranskal wrote:The only realities "fan-boys" need to realize are whether they like something or not. Instead of crying about what something is or isn't, why not just enjoy it for what it actually is? Either you like something or you don't...it's really that simple. If you don't like it...sweet, move on from it and don't listen to it.

Why people try to convince other people that enjoy something, that its a piece of crap or garbage really tells a lot about the individual. Instead of bashing something and arguing with people about it, skip over the topic and don't post. There is no value being added with those types of comments.

Musical taste and what people like are different for each person. There is no right or wrong.


You miss the point.


I guess I am missing the point...what is the point?


See post just before yours.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:54 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:You Gave Me a Mountain is far better than My Boy (I speak only about Elvis's versions of these songs).


why?

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:57 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:You Gave Me a Mountain is far better than My Boy (I speak only about Elvis's versions of these songs).


It's a better song, and Elvis seems far more invested in this ballad. That's two pluses right there.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:You Gave Me a Mountain is far better than My Boy (I speak only about Elvis's versions of these songs).


It's a better song, and Elvis seems far more invested in this ballad. That's two pluses right there.


What makes it a better song?

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:26 am

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:You Gave Me a Mountain is far better than My Boy (I speak only about Elvis's versions of these songs).


It's a better song, and Elvis seems far more invested in this ballad. That's two pluses right there.


What makes it a better song?

That it was written and recorded by Marty Robbins and also sung by Frankie Laine - instead of Richard Harris. :D :wink:

I definitely like "You Gave Me A Moutain" better. I think it has a greater melody and structure etc. The chorus is unforgettable.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:41 am

poormadpeter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:You Gave Me a Mountain is far better than My Boy (I speak only about Elvis's versions of these songs).


why?


Its much better. Marty Robbins was one of the greatest writers and voices in country music. The song structure is better, the chorus is better and it doesn't make me want to hide and take shelter. BTW, check out Marty's version of That's All Right. Much better than most you heard other than Elvis.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:51 am

The great Marty Robbins, just listening to his Tonight Carmen album that comes on cd in a month


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:11 am

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:You Gave Me a Mountain is far better than My Boy (I speak only about Elvis's versions of these songs).


why?


Its much better. Marty Robbins was one of the greatest writers and voices in country music. The song structure is better, the chorus is better and it doesn't make me want to hide and take shelter. BTW, check out Marty's version of That's All Right. Much better than most you heard other than Elvis.


He asks so many questions, he must not know who Marty Robbins is. This is a good place to start:

Marty Robbins
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Robbins

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ranskal wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ranskal wrote:The only realities "fan-boys" need to realize are whether they like something or not. Instead of crying about what something is or isn't, why not just enjoy it for what it actually is? Either you like something or you don't...it's really that simple. If you don't like it...sweet, move on from it and don't listen to it.

Why people try to convince other people that enjoy something, that its a piece of crap or garbage really tells a lot about the individual. Instead of bashing something and arguing with people about it, skip over the topic and don't post. There is no value being added with those types of comments.

Musical taste and what people like are different for each person. There is no right or wrong.


You miss the point.


I guess I am missing the point...what is the point?


See post just before yours.


It's easy to say Elvis should have done this or should have done that, knowing how the past couple years of his life were and the fact that he died at only 42. We can say he shouldn't have done all those movies, he shouldn't have played Vegas year after year, he should have toured the world, he should have had an artistic direction when he went into the studio in the '70s, etc...but the fact of the matter is what happened, happened, and it can't be changed. It was Elvis' choice to do what he did and he obviously must have felt it was the right thing for him.

There will always be things about Elvis that people will disagree on, but again, it boils down to personal preference. The poster can say he shouldn't have recorded Love Song Of The Year or My Boy but who is he/she to say what he should or shouldn't do?? Believe it or not, people like those songs...including me and I am glad he recorded them. In reading some of the other posts, it looks like Elvis had some success with My Boy.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:56 am

ranskal wrote: We can say he shouldn't have done all those movies, he shouldn't have played Vegas year after year, he should have toured the world, he should have had an artistic direction when he went into the studio in the '70s, etc...but the fact of the matter is what happened, happened, and it can't be changed.

Exactly - and there is no reason to overrate and glorify the results simply because they happened.

ranskal wrote:It was Elvis' choice to do what he did and he obviously must have felt it was the right thing for him.

That is where your argument hits a brick wall. Elvis may have "chosen" to record some of the substandard recordings that surfaced on his '70s output, but it certainly wasn't because he turned down alternative superior recordings and this middle of the road crap was what he felt was "the right thing for him." Choosing between an elephant brick and a cow patty doesn't mean the choice is a well-thought out one representing the artistic and creative wishes of the artist. Elvis' mediocre-to-substandard output from the era was not due to a committed effort on his part; the music that represented his final years as a recording artist came about due to mismanagement of one of the greatest music artists in history by others who were in control. That in itself is quite a tragedy.

ranskal wrote:In reading some of the other posts, it looks like Elvis had some success with My Boy.

Elvis would have had "success" with a wide-range of mediocre MOR/easy listening songs - that doesn't mean the songs were good. All it means is Elvis' tremendous talent could elevate even the weakest of songs presented to him.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

frus75 wrote:By the way, I always believed that Elvis didn't want to record My Boy, that it was Felton's idea and he did it at Felton's request because fans liked it when it was performed in Las Vegas in August.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Here is one of the great performances of My Boy in Las Vegas, August 31th, 1973-Dinner Show, almost 4 months before recording it at Stax Studios 8). Bye for now :smt006.

http://www66.zippyshare.com/v/27640649/file.html

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:48 pm

midnightx wrote:That is where your argument hits a brick wall. Elvis may have "chosen" to record some of the substandard recordings that surfaced on his '70s output, but it certainly wasn't because he turned down alternative superior recordings and this middle of the road crap was what he felt was "the right thing for him." Choosing between an elephant brick and a cow patty doesn't mean the choice is a well-thought out one representing the artistic and creative wishes of the artist. Elvis' mediocre-to-substandard output from the era was not due to a committed effort on his part; the music that represented his final years as a recording artist came about due to mismanagement of one of the greatest music artists in history by others who were in control. That in itself is quite a tragedy.

Maybe so....but Elvis certainly could choose exactly what he sang on stage and he sang 'My Boy' live several times - before he had even recorded it.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

frus75 wrote:By the way, I always believed that Elvis didn't want to record My Boy, that it was Felton's idea and he did it at Felton's request because fans liked it when it was performed in Las Vegas in August.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Here is one of the great performances of My Boy in Las Vegas, August 31th, 1973-Dinner Show, almost 4 months before recording it at Stax Studios 8). Bye for now :smt006.

http://www66.zippyshare.com/v/27640649/file.html

Beautiful ! Thanks, Mike.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:53 pm

RCA released My Boy in the late 1974 in Europe and it was a success. It was a TOP-5-Hit in England, the Netherland and Belgium. So what is wrong with the song? In Germany it sells over 250.000 units. And take a look to the 500.000 units they sell in Asia. That was good enough to release the song on single in the USA. Eleven weeks in the HOT 100 and top ranking 20. Better in the field "Country" as 14.

And in the List "Adult Contemporary" it was a real number one. So I don’t understand why there are so many jokes about this ballad. Boy there are worldwide 2,3 million copies. This is IMO a good success!

It is a great monologue from a farther to his sleeping son. The love to his woman is dying but it is to hard to leaving his son. There is so much loneness and sadness in Elvis’ voice. I believe Elvis what he is telling me in this great song.

The original Parce Que Je T’aime was written by Claude Francois and Jean Pierre. The new English words are from Bill Martin and Phil Coulter. Richard Harris is doing a TOP-50 with it.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ranskal wrote:The only realities "fan-boys" need to realize are whether they like something or not. Instead of crying about what something is or isn't, why not just enjoy it for what it actually is? Either you like something or you don't...it's really that simple. If you don't like it...sweet, move on from it and don't listen to it.

Why people try to convince other people that enjoy something, that its a piece of crap or garbage really tells a lot about the individual. Instead of bashing something and arguing with people about it, skip over the topic and don't post. There is no value being added with those types of comments.

Musical taste and what people like are different for each person. There is no right or wrong.


You miss the point.


Or perhaps you do.


Coming from you, that's a laugh.

No, the point is clear to anyone who lives in the real world. Like me. ;-)


FECC aint the real world.. and u live there lol.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:54 pm

I love My Boy, and the flip side, one of the better singles from that time frame. Would love to know who put the video together that was shown on Top of the Pops if anybody here knows? I recall a lot of non fans buying the single.....and was it this single that sold more in Britain than the USA?...

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:01 pm

As my unsourced article illustrates, many teenagers in the UK were becoming new fans at the time, partly because of this wonderful song.

And the Man performed it beautifully on stage before recording it.

Yes, clearly EP and UK teens loved "My Boy" very, very much!