Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:36 pm

As the January 11 article indicates, Elvis was gaining a new legion of fans, many of them teenagers.

Obviously, "My Boy" appealed to all ages!

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:08 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:As the January 11 article indicates, Elvis was gaining a new legion of fans, many of them teenagers.

Obviously, "My Boy" appealed to all ages!


Sadly, the "new legion of fans" both young and old, did not materialize for Presley in the United States. ;-)
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:11 am

poormadpeter wrote:Your last comment here only proves what I have been saying for years - that you have a dislike for the general style of music that Elvis was adopting, rather than the quality of that music. Why should number 1 on the Easy Listening chart be less valid than a number 1 on the r & b chart? Simple music snobbery, nothing more, nothing less.


How I wish that question was rhetorical.

Sometimes I wonder if you even know who Elvis Presley was, what he accomplished, the depth of his enormous talent, or what he represented in this country and around the world.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:22 am

You misread what is stated in the unsourced article you uploaded.


You think? :wink:
Last edited by HoneyTalkNelson on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:27 am

Nothing Elvis was doing in the mid 70s was winning him many new teenage fans.

As previously noted Promised land and T-R-O-U-B-L-E didn't sell much more than My Boy did.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:58 am

brian wrote:Nothing Elvis was doing in the mid 70s was winning him many new teenage fans.

As previously noted Promised land and T-R-O-U-B-L-E didn't sell much more than My Boy did.


Maybe because by that time rock and Top 40 pop radio DJs gave up on new Elvis records. I never heard either of those records on my radio in the 70's.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:28 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:
You misread what is stated in the unsourced article you uploaded.


You think? :wink:


I missed it. My bad.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:31 am

One of the first albums i had, if not the first, is Burning Love and ... Vol. 2. The b-side starts with A Matter Of Time, which was also the the B-side to the single. Any buyer/owner would be aware of the fact that Elvis sang more than just hip music. (As an album, Burning Love was an insult, though i have very fond memories of it.)

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:
You misread what is stated in the unsourced article you uploaded.


You think? :wink:


I missed it. My bad.


Remember to always drink from the Fountain of Love! :wink:

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:37 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:
You misread what is stated in the unsourced article you uploaded.


You think? :wink:


I missed it. My bad.


Remember to always drink from the Fountain of Love! :wink:


Is that your secret? :D

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:43 am

A gentleman NEVER tells...

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Your last comment here only proves what I have been saying for years - that you have a dislike for the general style of music that Elvis was adopting, rather than the quality of that music. Why should number 1 on the Easy Listening chart be less valid than a number 1 on the r & b chart? Simple music snobbery, nothing more, nothing less.


How I wish that question was rhetorical.

Sometimes I wonder if you even know who Elvis Presley was, what he accomplished, the depth of his enormous talent, or what he represented in this country and around the world.


Indeed I do. But I also acknowledge that people change, and their musical tastes change, and they can go on and accomplish things in other areas.

Or perhaps explain to us why the easy listening chart is less important? Surely it's just a matter of music snobbery fed to us over many years by rock critics, who themselves had fought against the music snobbery Elvis had to face when he broke through in 1956?

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:17 am

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Your last comment here only proves what I have been saying for years - that you have a dislike for the general style of music that Elvis was adopting, rather than the quality of that music. Why should number 1 on the Easy Listening chart be less valid than a number 1 on the r & b chart? Simple music snobbery, nothing more, nothing less.


How I wish that question was rhetorical.

Sometimes I wonder if you even know who Elvis Presley was, what he accomplished, the depth of his enormous talent, or what he represented in this country and around the world.


Indeed I do.


:D Your comments on this and many other topics tell us a different story.

poormadpeter wrote:Or perhaps explain to us why the easy listening chart is less important?


Are you even for real?

It's not Perry Como, or Vic Damone, or Bobby Vinton, or Johnny Mathis we speak of, but ELVIS PRESLEY.

It's a STEP DOWN for someone of his stature.

Dear, sweet lost child.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Your last comment here only proves what I have been saying for years - that you have a dislike for the general style of music that Elvis was adopting, rather than the quality of that music. Why should number 1 on the Easy Listening chart be less valid than a number 1 on the r & b chart? Simple music snobbery, nothing more, nothing less.


How I wish that question was rhetorical.

Sometimes I wonder if you even know who Elvis Presley was, what he accomplished, the depth of his enormous talent, or what he represented in this country and around the world.


Indeed I do.


:D Your comments on this and many other topics tell us a different story.

poormadpeter wrote:Or perhaps explain to us why the easy listening chart is less important?


Are you even for real?

It's not Perry Como, or Vic Damone, or Bobby Vinton, or Johnny Mathis we speak of, but ELVIS PRESLEY.

It's a STEP DOWN for someone of his stature.

Dear, sweet lost child.


And that's your explanation? Why is it a step down to associate himself with a style of music associated with Sinatra, for example? Was he a lesser artist too? This shows time and time again that, when pressed on an issue you apparantly feel strongly about, you actually have no reasoning behind your opinion.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Elvis loved ballads, his first demos were ballads, he chose my happiness to best represent himself, not a rip roaring solo version of rocket 88, he stumbled upon the rock stuff and the rest was history but he was always drawn to the ballads.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:19 pm

I was talking to a friend today who was with me in Vegas in August 75, and she happened to mention that it was My Boy she particularly remembers as giving her shivers down her spine because of the power and beauty of his voice and because of the mesmerising quality of his performance.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:10 pm

Incidentally, other acts that topped the easy listening charts in 1975 included Ringo Star (only you), the eagles (best of my love), BJ Thomas (another somebody ...) Glenn Campbell (rhinestone cowboy), etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:30 pm

It is so rewarding seeing all the fan-boys justify Elvis' move into MOR, easy listening territory. Granted, some of the examples that Elvis is being compared to topped the charts -- Elvis never came close. If Elvis was going to embrace MOR, he at least could have produced some bona fide, memorable hits. Instead, his mismanaged studio sessions produced inconsistent, mediocre results that lacked cohesive identity. You had a producer that thought Elvis could compete in the world of Billy Sherrill produced country hits; you had a label that had unrealistic expectations and demanded enormous amounts of product regardless of the genre thanks to Tom Parker selling his artist short; and of course, Elvis had no artistic vision or direction as he entered the '70s often combing through piles of substandard and inappropriate song material provided to him from his publishing companies, producer, and friends. Elvis' arguable "move" into MOR and easy listening territory wasn't exactly a conscious, artistic choice -- it was done mostly out of a lack of direction from his management, label and producer. Elvis was lost and the music he recorded clearly proves this point. As fans, we can often find the redeeming qualities in songs that he should not have been recording, but that doesn't mean there should be a hyper-defense and justification campaign in support of the overall direction of the material he ended up recording. People often point to Elvis' drug abuse and physical/emotional decline as the tragedy, but on another level, Elvis' decline as an artist due to his misguided direction of recording so much inappropriate material is also a sad tale that should not be overlooked. The fact that My Boy resonated with people in the UK and Scandinavia still doesn't make it a quality recording, if anything, all it shows it that a huge talent such as Elvis could take a piece of crap and elevate it.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:53 pm

midnightx wrote:It is so rewarding seeing all the fan-boys justify Elvis' move into MOR, easy listening territory. Granted, some of the examples that Elvis is being compared to topped the charts -- Elvis never came close. If Elvis was going to embrace MOR, he at least could have produced some bona fide, memorable hits. Instead, his mismanaged studio sessions produced inconsistent, mediocre results that lacked cohesive identity. You had a producer that thought Elvis could compete in the world of Billy Sherrill produced country hits; you had a label that had unrealistic expectations and demanded enormous amounts of product regardless of the genre thanks to Tom Parker selling his artist short; and of course, Elvis had no artistic vision or direction as he entered the '70s often combing through piles of substandard and inappropriate song material provided to him from his publishing companies, producer, and friends. Elvis' arguable "move" into MOR and easy listening territory wasn't exactly a conscious, artistic choice -- it was done mostly out of a lack of direction from his management, label and producer. Elvis was lost and the music he recorded clearly proves this point. As fans, we can often find the redeeming qualities in songs that he should not have been recording, but that doesn't mean there should be a hyper-defense and justification campaign in support of the overall direction of the material he ended up recording. People often point to Elvis' drug abuse and physical/emotional decline as the tragedy, but on another level, Elvis' decline as an artist due to his misguided direction of recording so much inappropriate material is also a sad tale that should not be overlooked. The fact that My Boy resonated with people in the UK and Scandinavia still doesn't make it a quality recording, if anything, all it shows it that a huge talent such as Elvis could take a piece of crap and elevate it.


A valid opinion, if you had started with "in my opinion" or "to me" instead of the fan boys remark, it would have also helped to maintain or regain a good natured discussion. But now somebody will feel offended and will return the ball ...

Your point is valid as I said. Maybe it's even a fact!! But I think that people here is saying that there are other vivid examples of misdirection and lack of success (Life and raised on rock singles come to mind) and yet is My Boy which gets most of the attacks even if it was quite a success in Europe and got much AirPlay in the USA (making it top 20 without matching sales).




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:25 pm

midnightx wrote:... Elvis' arguable "move" into MOR and easy listening territory wasn't exactly a conscious, artistic choice -- it was done mostly out of a lack of direction from his management, label and producer. Elvis was lost and the music he recorded clearly proves this point. As fans, we can often find the redeeming qualities in songs that he should not have been recording, but that doesn't mean there should be a hyper-defense and justification campaign in support of the overall direction of the material he ended up recording.

Some of the home recordings he did in the sixties sound MOR to me, and he chose these himself, no record company or music publishers there, I think Elvis saw himself more than just a rock n roll singer, much to the chagrin of many of us...

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:49 pm

midnightx wrote:It is so rewarding seeing all the fan-boys justify Elvis' move into MOR, easy listening territory. Granted, some of the examples that Elvis is being compared to topped the charts -- Elvis never came close. If Elvis was going to embrace MOR, he at least could have produced some bona fide, memorable hits. Instead, his mismanaged studio sessions produced inconsistent, mediocre results that lacked cohesive identity. You had a producer that thought Elvis could compete in the world of Billy Sherrill produced country hits; you had a label that had unrealistic expectations and demanded enormous amounts of product regardless of the genre thanks to Tom Parker selling his artist short; and of course, Elvis had no artistic vision or direction as he entered the '70s often combing through piles of substandard and inappropriate song material provided to him from his publishing companies, producer, and friends. Elvis' arguable "move" into MOR and easy listening territory wasn't exactly a conscious, artistic choice -- it was done mostly out of a lack of direction from his management, label and producer. Elvis was lost and the music he recorded clearly proves this point. As fans, we can often find the redeeming qualities in songs that he should not have been recording, but that doesn't mean there should be a hyper-defense and justification campaign in support of the overall direction of the material he ended up recording. People often point to Elvis' drug abuse and physical/emotional decline as the tragedy, but on another level, Elvis' decline as an artist due to his misguided direction of recording so much inappropriate material is also a sad tale that should not be overlooked. The fact that My Boy resonated with people in the UK and Scandinavia still doesn't make it a quality recording, if anything, all it shows it that a huge talent such as Elvis could take a piece of crap and elevate it.


You make some interesting points, although (as noted by others) your use of the term "fan-boys" produces an image of venom being spewed - and is erroneous when referring to a number of people defending the MOR material.

I'm happy for someone to criticise this style of music on the grounds that it is not done very well - a refreshing viewpoint compared to the "Elvis shouldn't have touched this genre" speech that others have come up with. However, to say that Elvis didn't have hits within the genre is factually incorrect and misguided. The Wonder of You was a number 1 record on the adult contemporary chart, I've Lost You was number 5, YDHTSYLM was number 1, I Really Don't Want to Know #2, Life #8 (!!!), I'm Leavin' #2, until It's Time For You To Go #9, It's A Matter Of Time #9, Separate Ways # 3, It's Midnight #8, My Boy # 1, and so on. The fact that many of those didn't really heavily dent the top 100 chart is testimony only to the fact that their appeal wasn't universal - something which is played out on these boards.

Once again we have this term "inappropriate material", which crops up every five minutes in a topic such as this. So, once again the question: why doesn't You Gave Me A Mountain come in for the same criticism as My Boy, when the lyrics are even more hysterical and over the top than the song you choose to joke about at every opportunity?

Yes, much of the problem in the 70s was due to the fact that Elvis had to record so much, and therefore dross made it into studio situation and was ultimately released. But that fact remains that Elvis had been singing My Boy for months prior to the studio recording in 1973, and would probably have recorded it anyway, even if his quota of songs for the sessions was half of what it was. He liked the other song. A great number of people liked the song or they wouldn't have bought it. Why not just admit that you don't like the song, move on, and quit the stupid comments we put up with daily.?

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:06 pm

frus75 wrote:
midnightx wrote:It is so rewarding seeing all the fan-boys justify Elvis' move into MOR, easy listening territory. Granted, some of the examples that Elvis is being compared to topped the charts -- Elvis never came close. If Elvis was going to embrace MOR, he at least could have produced some bona fide, memorable hits. Instead, his mismanaged studio sessions produced inconsistent, mediocre results that lacked cohesive identity. You had a producer that thought Elvis could compete in the world of Billy Sherrill produced country hits; you had a label that had unrealistic expectations and demanded enormous amounts of product regardless of the genre thanks to Tom Parker selling his artist short; and of course, Elvis had no artistic vision or direction as he entered the '70s often combing through piles of substandard and inappropriate song material provided to him from his publishing companies, producer, and friends. Elvis' arguable "move" into MOR and easy listening territory wasn't exactly a conscious, artistic choice -- it was done mostly out of a lack of direction from his management, label and producer. Elvis was lost and the music he recorded clearly proves this point. As fans, we can often find the redeeming qualities in songs that he should not have been recording, but that doesn't mean there should be a hyper-defense and justification campaign in support of the overall direction of the material he ended up recording. People often point to Elvis' drug abuse and physical/emotional decline as the tragedy, but on another level, Elvis' decline as an artist due to his misguided direction of recording so much inappropriate material is also a sad tale that should not be overlooked. The fact that My Boy resonated with people in the UK and Scandinavia still doesn't make it a quality recording, if anything, all it shows it that a huge talent such as Elvis could take a piece of crap and elevate it.


A valid opinion, if you had started with "in my opinion" or "to me" ...


No need to be redundant. Note his words are preceded by "midnightx wrote:"

His post, by the way, is spot-on in every respect. Those calling such perspective "snobbery" or "without reason" are so out of touch as to not even be in the conversation.

It's not just that "My Boy" was a bathetic ballad, or that the Presley single was both unfinished and overproduced, or that the lead vocals were way over-the-top, but also that it symbolized everything that went wrong in the 1970s.

As noted, the "fan-boys" will never acknowledge these realities.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:15 pm

By the way, I always believed that Elvis didn't want to record My Boy, that it was Felton's idea and he did it at Felton's request because fans liked it when it was performed in Las Vegas in August.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:21 pm

frus75 wrote:By the way, I always believed that Elvis didn't want to record My Boy, that it was Felton's idea and he did it at Felton's request because fans liked it when it was performed in Las Vegas in August.


I would agree.

Re: Shut up about My Boy. Yeah it sucks. Joke is old.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:39 pm

The only realities "fan-boys" need to realize are whether they like something or not. Instead of crying about what something is or isn't, why not just enjoy it for what it actually is? Either you like something or you don't...it's really that simple. If you don't like it...sweet, move on from it and don't listen to it.

Why people try to convince other people that enjoy something, that its a piece of crap or garbage really tells a lot about the individual. Instead of bashing something and arguing with people about it, skip over the topic and don't post. There is no value being added with those types of comments.

Musical taste and what people like are different for each person. There is no right or wrong.