Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

1969 august 3rd sbd

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:05 pm

why is this lone sbd of the show this early in the season the only one?
if it was a "test" record to encourage a multitrack taping of the shows later in the season why was it needed? didnt elvis/the colonel have enough to say to just make arrangements for multitrack recordings? if not or if it was taoed to let elvis have a listen why only this show from the 3rd? my guess is there were made several sbd recordings of the early part of the season. where are they?
other answer could be that its not from the 3rd but from the latter part of the season but it doesent sound like it, and why sbd and not multitrack?

what was the motivation for a sbd recording of this lone show early in the season?

Re: 1969 august 3rd sbd

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:41 pm

And more importantly, when will FTD release it? :)

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:42 pm

voldto wrote:why is this lone sbd of the show this early in the season the only one?
if it was a "test" record to encourage a multitrack taping of the shows later in the season why was it needed? didnt elvis/the colonel have enough to say to just make arrangements for multitrack recordings? if not or if it was taoed to let elvis have a listen why only this show from the 3rd? my guess is there were made several sbd recordings of the early part of the season. where are they?
other answer could be that its not from the 3rd but from the latter part of the season but it doesent sound like it, and why sbd and not multitrack?

what was the motivation for a sbd recording of this lone show early in the season?

I'm not sure if anyone knows why this was, but maybe more exist in private hands? I'd be more interested in knowing if any rehearsal sessions were recorded.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:58 pm

The 8/3/69 ds tape was not a "test-run" for Elvis and Parker to determine the viability of recording later in the engagement. Any decision to record for a live album most likely would have been put into place well before the engagement began.

The source of this tape is somewhat of a mystery, but some believe it may actually be the audio from a video-feed. If so, where's the footage!? Perhaps there is more information in Joan Deary's records because she obtained the tape and considered releasing it. As far as I know, no one ever asked her about the history of this tape.

I would imagine that along with the 1969 rehearsals, a soundboard or two from the first week of shows also exist in private hands.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:05 pm

Why do some folks believe it's audio from a video feed? What's the evidence? The actual audio accentuates vocals, suggesting the house sound man, who was focusing on amplifying voices, just ran a line out to a tape recorder from his house sound mixing console. If there was a video shoot I'd love to hear what evidence there is for this.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:08 am

some believe it may actually be the audio from a video-feed.

Some believe there's a monster in the lake, they've heard about it from other believers and so on...

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:14 am

lpa wrote:

Some believe there's a monster in the lake, they've heard about it from other believers and so on...

You think it is that unlikely of a scenario that it can be compared to a monster in a lake?

If it is only a soundboard, it has to be one of the most balanced mixes I have ever heard from a primitive soundboard recording.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:26 pm

Here's an even more intriguing question.....is there a multi-track tape of the 8-3-69 show in existence that we may not know about ? It would be soooooo nice if Ernst can surprise us with a revelation like that.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:40 pm

Return Of A Prodigy was a great release. How will FTD produce a better package?

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:46 pm

midnightx wrote:
lpa wrote:

You think it is that unlikely of a scenario that it can be compared to a monster in a lake?

If it is only a soundboard, it has to be one of the most balanced mixes I have ever heard from a primitive soundboard recording.

It sounds very different to the Here We Go Again soundboard too...it´s almost like a combination of a great audience and soundboard...and like midnightx says, it could very well be audio from a video-feed. The footage must be fabulous if it exists...

Sincerely MB280E

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:59 pm

I think this is just one channel from a stereo recording.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:13 pm

I do, not that I wouldn't be happy to learn there is video footage of that show, but it's been 42 years. Don't you think it would have surfaced by now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_Ness_Monster

Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:59 pm

lpa wrote:

I do, not that I wouldn't be happy to learn there is video footage of that show, but it's been 42 years. Don't you think it would have surfaced by now?

No. The July 1969 rehearsals have not surfaced. Additional rehearsals from other years have not surfaced. The 1970 Houston Astrodome shows have not surfaced. Soundboards from the fall of 1970 have not surfaced. Additional November 1971 soundboards have not surfaced. They exist, but exist in private hands. If there is/was footage, it is either in the tight-grip of a collector or disappeared.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:20 pm

MB280E wrote:
midnightx wrote:
lpa wrote:

It sounds very different to the Here We Go Again soundboard too...it´s almost like a combination of a great audience and soundboard...and like midnightx says, it could very well be audio from a video-feed. The footage must be fabulous if it exists...

Sincerely MB280E

Far fetched. So if it's a video feed, you are saying someone took a 2" Quadruplex master videotape, then dubbed off the anemic mono soundtrack mix (which accentuates vocals) to an audio tape then bootlegged it? Is there anyone who remembers seeing videocameras at this engagement? Anyone from a videocrew that states they videotaped Elvis? What is the evidence for a video shoot other than someone subjectively interpreting the poor mix as being "balanced?"

Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:29 pm

Who knows...

Sincerely MB280E

Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:30 pm

midnightx wrote:They exist, but exist in private hands. If there is/was footage, it is either in the tight-grip of a collector or disappeared.

What is this collector waiting for .... the grave ? If I were this collector with the tapes, I'd make an offer to sell them at for a nice amount.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:47 pm

Perhaps he doesen´t need the money...may very well be a millionaire...

Sincerely MB280E

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:45 pm

MB280E wrote:Perhaps he doesen´t need the money...may very well be a millionaire...

Sincerely MB280E

Speaking of money...how much for that shiny Mercedes Benz ?

Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:37 pm

MB280E wrote:Perhaps he doesen´t need the money...may very well be a millionaire...

Sincerely MB280E

He/she may well not need the money but if they do have them they could at least let the rest of us know they do exist.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:03 am

jon_burrows wrote:Return Of A Prodigy was a great release. How will FTD produce a better package?

FTD doesn't need to produce a better looking package, just make the show available officially so that more fans have the option to enjoy this concert. Who knows, maybe they could double feature it with another multi-track show mixed and mastered by Vic Anesini.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:49 am

TCB-FAN wrote:

Sincerely MB280E

Speaking of money...how much for that shiny Mercedes Benz ?

They´re a bargain these days...but pretty expensive when new... :lol:

Sincerely MB280E

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:02 am

Matthew wrote:
jon_burrows wrote:Return Of A Prodigy was a great release. How will FTD produce a better package?

FTD doesn't need to produce a better looking package, just make the show available officially so that more fans have the option to enjoy this concert.

I don´t think they have the tape

Sincerely MB280E

Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:30 am

MB280E wrote:
Matthew wrote:

FTD doesn't need to produce a better looking package, just make the show available officially so that more fans have the option to enjoy this concert.

I don´t think they have the tape

Sincerely MB280E

What makes you conclude that? Didn't Joan Deary have it in her possession when she was at the helm of Elvis' RCA management?

I agree with Matthew, it is a very important concert document that should have a mainstream release via FTD.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:08 am

Matthew wrote:FTD doesn't need to produce a better looking package, just make the show available officially so that more fans have the option to enjoy this concert. Who knows, maybe they could double feature it with another multi-track show mixed and mastered by Vic Anesini.

This is a fabulous idea. Marvelous, really.

Steve L.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:42 am

stevelecher wrote:
Matthew wrote:FTD doesn't need to produce a better looking package, just make the show available officially so that more fans have the option to enjoy this concert. Who knows, maybe they could double feature it with another multi-track show mixed and mastered by Vic Anesini.

This is a fabulous idea. Marvelous, really.

Steve L.

It's not too late, really. We still have about 6 shows still unreleased from August '69. FTD could just pair the 6 shows onto 3 different releases...each release a 2 CD digipack....and a nice little booklet to go with it. Gawsh I hope Ernst is reading this and taking notes.