Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis riding high on Apple

Sun May 04, 2003 1:08 am

For those who are up to play with the very new Apple "buy music on-line scheme" that Apple got underway last week.

You pay US$10.00 per album

After the first week - ELVIS '56 - is at position number 5

I have a feeling - but don't know for sure - that Elvis '56 is the only Elvis album available.

I hope that this sets RCA thinking - imagine the entire catalogue or even just the entire FTD issues on-line at $10.00 a pop!. :idea:

This would be for those who don't need super duper surround sound. I other words the semi-fan.

And before anyone points out the obvious - I do know that by downloading you don't get a booklet. :)

Sun May 04, 2003 1:14 am

I still think that $10 for an MP3 album is quite expensive. You lose quality, no booklet and also you have to pay for the blank CDR and eventually a plastic cover. So let'say $12. Just $5 more and you have the CD.

It is not worth it. In my opinion.

Francesc

Sun May 04, 2003 1:21 am

I agree the cost is high - especially for single tracks at 99 cents.

But it is a way of getting out of catalogue material out to the masses.

And once a few "retailers" getting underway - we could expect price cutting.

Re: Elvis riding high on Apple

Sun May 04, 2003 2:37 am

<<After the first week - ELVIS '56 - is at position number 5
I have a feeling - but don't know for sure - that Elvis '56 is the only Elvis album available>>

<<I still think that $10 for an MP3 album is quite expensive. You lose quality, no booklet and also you have to pay for the blank CDR and eventually a plastic cover. >>

Actually there are 44 RCA Elvis cd's at Apple's music store and they are using a different encoding system that sounds better than MP3 and takes a little less time to download. They call it AAC and to my ears they sound better than MP3's and I can hardly tell the difference between 1950's songs on CD or in AAC format. Only some of the full albums are for sale at $9.99, but you can buy the songs from all the albums for .99. They have Platinum, Live In Las Vegas, both Gospel sets, etc.

I think it's actually a pretty great music store for downloading. For instance, I was missing a few fifties and sixties masters and was able to buy just those tracks without getting the whole album and they sound great! Each track comes with small pic of the album cover and you can add songs to your shopping cart and download them all at once or download them one-by-one.

You must have itunes 4 for Mac and it's a great interface from within itunes. Just click a button and you're in the store. They have over 200,000 songs from the five major record companies.

Scott

Sun May 04, 2003 6:42 pm

Thanks for that info.

I guess the sound quality would have to be significantly better than MP3 otherwise no-one would bother to pay.

I find it interesting that the most favored Elvis album is that from the 50's. I would also suggest that ELV1S was primarily bought for the early Elvis aspect.

Perhaps RCA should plan for a 50's rock and roll album!

Mon May 05, 2003 12:44 am

Well, let's talk a bit 'bout Apple then ... did you all now that a OSX build in file protection system is codenamed "Elvis" ?? as an Elvis fan and Mac Addict, thought it was very amusing ...

Peter

[a bit bored at the moment]

Mon May 05, 2003 12:55 am

You can buy Elvis 56 for $9 used at nearly any used cd shop in the United States. I fail to see the point of paying $1 more for MP3's.