Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: GUITAR MAN - APRIL FTD RELEASE

Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:02 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It would also be gravely inappropriate to be included on an official release by RCA or FTD.

Fans may debate Elvis' intention, but to anyone outside the "Elvis world" who might hear this session outtake, the profanity is clearly meant to be disparaging, not only of African-Americans ("big, hairy coon"), but also of homosexuals ("corn-hole the man on the moon").

Corn-hole is just slang for anal-sex. Why would this term be offensive to homosexuals? That's asburd.

Do you really need an explanation of what it means when a man sings the lyric "I'll corn-hole the man on the moon"? It is, at best, derogatory.

Good Time Charlie wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:'Coon' is also a common slang term for raccoon where I live as well, but you KNOW that regardless of how Elvis meant it the press would cast the comment in a negative way.

But what press are going to listen to an outtake of an obscure fan-label release?

You and others are being naive.

Once it's out there in the commercial world, it may go viral in a way that an obscure bootleg can never do. It will get reviewed, it will be sold, it gains legitimacy, something such an outtake as "The Prisoner's Song" was never meant to possess.

In addition, RCA and Ernst Jorgensen are the keepers of the flame. They have a responsibility to maintain certain standards in the marketplace. Such a track does Elvis no favors whatsoever.

monkboughtlunch wrote:Image

monkboughtlunch, that is an incredible image.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:04 am

Disappointing track list? You've got to be kidding!

This is great stuff! I can see two more FTD CDs from this era, concentrating on 67, 68 and 69. There is enough stuff from "Stay Away, Joe," "The Trouble With Girls," "Live A Little, Love A Little," "Charro" and "Change of Habit" plus "Suppose," "Too Much Monkey Business" and "U.S. Male" to fill two more CDs.

MT

Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:Image

monkboughtlunch, that is an incredible image.

Thanks!

"If you can't find a partner use a wooden chair use the man in the moon?" :smt003

phpBB [video]

Last edited by monkboughtlunch on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:21 am

TCB-FAN wrote:No one is forcing you to buy.

Apparently that's not true. The way some whine and moan about these releases makes me think that the purchase is mandatory.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:05 am

Matthew wrote:If "White Knight in Vegas" is controversial you can bet that this recording will remain unreleased.

Why would you think that? :wink:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:19 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:
Matthew wrote:If "White Knight in Vegas" is controversial you can bet that this recording will remain unreleased.

You are now beyond the pale.

Amazing!

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:

You are now beyond the pale.

Amazing!

Thanks Doc! "The Prisoner's Song" confirms what we've all suspected about The King for a long time.

----> Elvis had a "moon" fetish! :wink: :smt003

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:48 am

And the co-best man at his 1967 nuptials was Marty "Moon" Lacker.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:13 am

What's the date of the LA show?

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:24 am

May 11, 1974 evening show.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:35 am

elvis-fan wrote:What's the date of the LA show?

Brad, check out this absolutely wonderful post someone made today:

LIVE IN L.A
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59316&p=879440#p879440

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:33 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Was Elvis anti-gay? No.

Doc, what do you base your belief
about that statement on?

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:35 am

Can't wait for this...anyone with the CM set, how is the upgraded sound on these tunes? Worth it as an upgrade to the 99 comp with these tunes? Love the cover...a likely must buy (with live in vegas)...ftd is making it hard for me to keep my cash! They need to put out a 76 show so I can save up!

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:45 am

Hey Fans,

Below is a list of what is real unreleased on the forthcoming FTD Release "Guitar Man" April 2010.

guitar man (take 11)
fools fall in love (take 1)
hi-heel sneaker (take 1,6)
singing tree (take 2,8,10)
singin tree (remake take 1,2)
just call me lonesome (take 5)

The rest is either released on the mainstream label or by FTD in the past and by bootleggers.!

So for us hardcore fans, there isn't mucht to get, but for medicore fans there is a lot to enjoy.

Bye for now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALWAYS ELVIS ON MY MIND

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:56 am

[quote="bquick"]Can't wait for this...anyone with the CM set, how is the upgraded sound on these tunes? Worth it as an upgrade to the 99 comp with these tunes? quote]

YES!!!

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:10 am

JerryNodak wrote:'Coon' is also a common slang term for raccoon where I live as well, but you KNOW that regardless of how Elvis meant it the press would cast the comment in a negative way.

Have you ever read a press review of a FTD album (I mean outside the Elvis world?). FTD is diehard collectors stuff not general public stuff and these peannuts we find so delicious to keep buying are not interesting the outside world the slightest bit!

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:15 am

jekhb76 wrote:Hey Fans,

Below is a list of what is real unreleased on the forthcoming FTD Release "Guitar Man" April 2010.

guitar man (take 11)
fools fall in love (take 1)
hi-heel sneaker (take 1,6)
singing tree (take 2,8,10)
singin tree (remake take 1,2)
just call me lonesome (take 5)

The rest is either released on the mainstream label or by FTD in the past and by bootleggers.!

So for us hardcore fans, there isn't mucht to get, but for medicore fans there is a lot to enjoy.

Bye for now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALWAYS ELVIS ON MY MIND

So if one is not buying every bootleg and/ or do not own the other outtakes yet one is a MEDIOCRE fan?

I find that remark rather insulting...

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:30 am

Hey Alexander,

I wasn't meaning to be rude, sorry if I offended you.

What I mean is, that for all the fans that have all the bootlegs and meanstream releases of these sessions, there isn't much new to them.

I'm sorry If I said something wrong.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:57 am

jekhb76 wrote:Hey Alexander,

I wasn't meaning to be rude, sorry if I offended you.

What I mean is, that for all the fans that have all the bootlegs and meanstream releases of these sessions, there isn't much new to them.

I'm sorry If I said something wrong.

It is okay. I have most material I guess, but not all (since I am very selective in buying bootlegs). It is not nice to read that - if you do not own every snippet - in fact you are being considered a mediocre fan. I am glad you did not meant it that way. Let's get it over with!

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:28 pm

iplayastrat wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Was Elvis anti-gay? No.

Doc, what do you base your belief about that statement on?

Oh, God, just a guess.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:41 pm

javilu wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:They certainly do. Also omitting You'll Never Walk Alone and We Call on Him is another disappointment for me.

They were released on the "How great thou art" classic album.
If released here everyone would bitch about repetition.

Yeah, I guess you are right... I'm left and my favourite You''l Never Walk Alone is gone.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:32 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
Mike DK wrote:What a disapointing tracklisting!

No one is forcing you to buy.

Of course no one is forcing my to buy this release. Whats your point ? Did you read my entire post ?

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:30 pm

Siv Anderson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Fans may debate Elvis' intention, but to anyone outside the "Elvis world" who might hear this session outtake, the profanity is clearly meant to be disparaging, not only of African-Americans ("big, hairy coon"), but also of homosexuals ("corn-hole the man on the moon").

What a silly thing to say. You're saying any reference to 'that act' is disparaging to gays. It's not.

Your comment above is more offensive to homosexuals than Elvis' 'Man In The Moon' song. You can trust me on that one.

Exactly.

To even relate the corn-hole comment to homosexuals is offensive itself. We are talking about a rather humours object here, a ficitional moon character, who Elvis jokingly plans to have anal sex with. I find the line hilarious. Why on earth would you start linking this comment to homosexuals? It's just ridiculous.

You know, anal sex doesn't just occure between men.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:You know, anal sex doesn't just occure between men.

You mean women do it too???? :shock:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:38 pm

MysteryTrain wrote:Disappointing track list? You've got to be kidding!

This is great stuff! I can see two more FTD CDs from this era, concentrating on 67, 68 and 69. There is enough stuff from "Stay Away, Joe," "The Trouble With Girls," "Live A Little, Love A Little," "Charro" and "Change of Habit" plus "Suppose," "Too Much Monkey Business" and "U.S. Male" to fill two more CDs.

MT

You can bet your bird that both the Nashville overdub version "Suppose" and the home recording will be on the eventual SPEEDWAY FTD.