Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Question for Shaver book experts

Sun May 04, 2003 1:00 am

Hi friends -

Can anyone give me any details on the Sean Shaver Book - Elvis In Focus.

How does it compare to say the Elvis Book series and what is it's current market value etc.

NO88EP - your input on this would be appreciated as you are one of the boards Shaver Book enthusiasts.

Thanks in advance.

Sun May 04, 2003 1:22 am

Elvis on focus cannot be compared to the Elvis series.

The book is smaller and has 300 pages. There are more stories than the Elvis series. Actually great stories that you can find also in other Sean Shaver books.

There are mainly pictures in colour and some not too many in b/w.

You could compare this book (Elvis on Focus) to photographing the King fro the same author. For me, Elvis on Focus is the upgraded version og Photographing the King.

I dont remeber how much I paid for In Focus but it was less than $50.

This was my first Sean Shaver book and I enjoyed very much ! That made me try to get the rest. They are fantastic.

Let me know if you want more details.

Sun May 04, 2003 1:41 am

Hi Francesc

Thanks for the response - I heard Photographing the King has a lot of noticeable corrections to the photographs - is this also the same on Elvis In Focus.

You mention 300 pages ......are many of them text.

Are the photographs rare these days and are they full page or several to a page.

Really appreciate the information - I'm wanting to expand my Shaver collection and would prefer to make worthwhile purchases first.

Sun May 04, 2003 2:22 am

Hi there Clint :D

From memory ( I don´t own the book ) this a rather good book. Most of it is text. The storries are well written en very entertaining. When I borowed this book from a friend I couldn´t stop reading. (this is mabye due to the fact that I don´t own any of the Shaver books).

The pictures are quite nice, but not very exiting.

Conclusion: This is a nice book to have. If you´d buy it I don´t think you would be disapointed.

Regards,
Stefan

Shaver books.

Sun May 04, 2003 4:26 am

All of Shaver's books are recommended; some more than others.

"In Focus" is slightly better than "Photographing The King" in terms of photo content. The latter did indeed have some poorly retouched up pics. Both are similar in terms of written content - lots of lighthearted, fun stories of Shaver's pursuits of Elvis whilst on tour. Both enjoyable.

Shaver's best works are "The Life of.." and "The Elvis Book" series. Nothing compares.

My least favorites are "Portrait Portfolio" and "Our Memories" - mainly because of the B&W content.

"In Focus" went for around $40 when it first came out. It probably averages around $100 now. If you find one for less, snatch it up. It's a smaller book, not large like his others. Lots of nice, full-page, color photos scattered thru the book. As with most of Shaver's books, some photo content is repeated (from book to book).

Stories are enjoyable and the book recommended.

N8
...just a fan....

Sun May 04, 2003 7:35 am

Clint,

I think N8 described the book really well as usual when we talk about Sean shaver books. I could add that like Stefan i read the book in a couple of days like The Life of Elvis. i think I paid some 40 dollars when i bought the book. It was in Paris, in that Elvis shop.

Francesc

Mon May 05, 2003 3:38 pm

Thanks friends for the informative replies :D