Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:26 am

When I think of 70s Elvis, I think of after September 1970.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:45 am

skatterbrane wrote:Any period other than Jan 13, 1964 to May 24, 1966 and September 23, 1970 to August 16, 1977.


Thanks to skatterbrane for putting it so neatly. I agree entirely.

Of course, the problem with choosing a favourite era is - as many others on this board have said - that we ignore most of the remaining years at our peril. Although the above periods are my favourites, I really get a lot of pleasure out of some of Elvis' songs outside these periods, for example:

1964 Big love, big heartache
1965 So close, yet so far (really!)
1966 All that I am

1971 Merry Christmas, baby
1972 Always on my mind
1973 Promised land
1974 How great Thou Art (live)
1975 Susan when she tried
1976 Hurt
1977 Unchained melody (magnificent!)

I wouldn't want to miss out on any of those - or quite a few others - but then that's one of the problems with being an Elvis fan.

We didn't choose to be Elvis fans, but we are. We'll just have to live with it.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:01 am

NumberEight wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:Any period other than Jan 13, 1964 to May 24, 1966 and September 23, 1970 to August 16, 1977.


Thanks to skatterbrane for putting it so neatly. I agree entirely.

Of course, the problem with choosing a favourite era is - as many others on this board have said - that we ignore most of the remaining years at our peril. Although the above periods are my favourites, I really get a lot of pleasure out of some of Elvis' songs outside these periods, for example:

1964 Big love, big heartache
1965 So close, yet so far (really!)
1966 All that I am

1971 Merry Christmas, baby
1972 Always on my mind
1973 Promised land
1974 How great Thou Art (live)
1975 Susan when she tried
1976 Hurt
1977 Unchained melody (magnificent!)

I wouldn't want to miss out on any of those - or quite a few others - but then that's one of the problems with being an Elvis fan.

We didn't choose to be Elvis fans, but we are. We'll just have to live with it.


FWIW, a good friend -- but non-Elvis fan -- heard this track and pointedly asked, "Who is that?" They were mightily impressed.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
NumberEight wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:Any period other than Jan 13, 1964 to May 24, 1966 and September 23, 1970 to August 16, 1977.


Thanks to skatterbrane for putting it so neatly. I agree entirely.

Of course, the problem with choosing a favourite era is - as many others on this board have said - that we ignore most of the remaining years at our peril. Although the above periods are my favourites, I really get a lot of pleasure out of some of Elvis' songs outside these periods, for example:

1964 Big love, big heartache
1965 So close, yet so far (really!)
1966 All that I am

1971 Merry Christmas, baby
1972 Always on my mind
1973 Promised land
1974 How great Thou Art (live)
1975 Susan when she tried
1976 Hurt
1977 Unchained melody (magnificent!)

I wouldn't want to miss out on any of those - or quite a few others - but then that's one of the problems with being an Elvis fan.

We didn't choose to be Elvis fans, but we are. We'll just have to live with it.


FWIW, a good friend -- but non-Elvis fan -- heard this track and pointedly asked, "Who is that?" They were mightily impressed.


It was never going to set the world alight, but Today is a fine, under-rated album which probably could have done rather well and garnered more critical attention if it was marketed in some way as a follow-up to Elvis Country. Instead it has one of the blandest covers of all time, and had little fanfare.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:32 am

Scarre wrote:
Matthew wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Common man... How can any Elvis fan dismiss these performances?

Stranger In The Crowd is pretty crap. Awful lyrics.


Most of his songs are not know for their "deep and meaningfull" lyrics.

Well, many songs work, and are great despite - or because - of their simple lyrics. Stranger In The Crowd, which is striving to be a serious adult contemporary track, with its overflowing cups of love towards a stranger, it's standing on corners at quarter after seven is pretty bad. Maybe the character's in the red-light zone, I dunno!

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:13 am

Matthew wrote:
Scarre wrote:
Matthew wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Common man... How can any Elvis fan dismiss these performances?

Stranger In The Crowd is pretty crap. Awful lyrics.


Most of his songs are not know for their "deep and meaningfull" lyrics.

Well, many songs work, and are great despite - or because - of their simple lyrics. Stranger In The Crowd, which is striving to be a serious adult contemporary track, with its overflowing cups of love towards a stranger, it's standing on corners at quarter after seven is pretty bad. Maybe the character's in the red-light zone, I dunno!

Well the master sounds great to these ears... :smt023

phpBB [video]

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
NumberEight wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:Any period other than Jan 13, 1964 to May 24, 1966 and September 23, 1970 to August 16, 1977.


Thanks to skatterbrane for putting it so neatly. I agree entirely.

Of course, the problem with choosing a favourite era is - as many others on this board have said - that we ignore most of the remaining years at our peril. Although the above periods are my favourites, I really get a lot of pleasure out of some of Elvis' songs outside these periods, for example:

1964 Big love, big heartache
1965 So close, yet so far (really!)
1966 All that I am

1971 Merry Christmas, baby
1972 Always on my mind
1973 Promised land
1974 How great Thou Art (live)
1975 Susan when she tried
1976 Hurt
1977 Unchained melody (magnificent!)

I wouldn't want to miss out on any of those - or quite a few others - but then that's one of the problems with being an Elvis fan.

We didn't choose to be Elvis fans, but we are. We'll just have to live with it.


FWIW, a good friend -- but non-Elvis fan -- heard this track and pointedly asked, "Who is that?" They were mightily impressed.


Thanks for sharing that. It doesn't happen often, but when it does...

Hmm. I can see a new thread coming out of all this: "Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!" or something. If you don't start it, I will.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:21 am

Matthew wrote:
Scarre wrote:
Matthew wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Common man... How can any Elvis fan dismiss these performances?

Stranger In The Crowd is pretty crap. Awful lyrics.


Most of his songs are not know for their "deep and meaningfull" lyrics.

Well, many songs work, and are great despite - or because - of their simple lyrics. Stranger In The Crowd, which is striving to be a serious adult contemporary track, with its overflowing cups of love towards a stranger, it's standing on corners at quarter after seven is pretty bad. Maybe the character's in the red-light zone, I dunno!


The words are a bit bonkers, but it has an infectious rhythm and Elvis navigates the rangy melody with remarkable ease. It may not be a classic track, but there is something quite likeable about it - I think so anyway.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:13 am

While I enjoy every year of Elvis' career, I would say that my "favorite era" is 1968-1973.

rlj

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:34 pm

Scarre wrote:
Matthew wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Common man... How can any Elvis fan dismiss these performances?

Stranger In The Crowd is pretty crap. Awful lyrics.


Most of his songs are not know for their "deep and meaningfull" lyrics.


I, for one, like the song, "Stranger In The Crowd." And I totally disagree with your comments about most of his songs not being known for their deep and meaningful lyrics. I don't think there's a fan anywhere besides yourself that agrees with that statement. I am actually appalled to see that coming from a so-called Elvis fan.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
Scarre wrote:
Matthew wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Common man... How can any Elvis fan dismiss these performances?

Stranger In The Crowd is pretty crap. Awful lyrics.


Most of his songs are not know for their "deep and meaningfull" lyrics.


I, for one, like the song, "Stranger In The Crowd." And I totally disagree with your comments about most of his songs not being known for their deep and meaningful lyrics. I don't think there's a fan anywhere besides yourself that agrees with that statement. I am actually appalled to see that coming from a so-called Elvis fan.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


When you look at the pre-comeback hit singles, there is certainly an argument for a lack of deep and meaningful: Hound Dog, All Shook Up, Teddy Bear, I Got Stung, I Need Your Love Tonight, Good Luck Charm etc

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:46 pm

NumberEight wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
NumberEight wrote:Thanks to skatterbrane for putting it so neatly. I agree entirely.

Of course, the problem with choosing a favourite era is - as many others on this board have said - that we ignore most of the remaining years at our peril. Although the above periods are my favourites, I really get a lot of pleasure out of some of Elvis' songs outside these periods, for example:

1964 Big love, big heartache
1965 So close, yet so far (really!)
1966 All that I am

1971 Merry Christmas, baby
1972 Always on my mind
1973 Promised land
1974 How great Thou Art (live)
1975 Susan when she tried
1976 Hurt
1977 Unchained melody (magnificent!)

I wouldn't want to miss out on any of those - or quite a few others - but then that's one of the problems with being an Elvis fan.

We didn't choose to be Elvis fans, but we are. We'll just have to live with it.


FWIW, a good friend -- but non-Elvis fan -- heard this track and pointedly asked, "Who is that?" They were mightily impressed.


Thanks for sharing that. It doesn't happen often, but when it does...

Hmm. I can see a new thread coming out of all this: "Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!" or something. If you don't start it, I will.


Please do! Your topics have been outstanding.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:54 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
NumberEight wrote:Hmm. I can see a new thread coming out of all this: "Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!" or something. If you don't start it, I will.

Please do! Your topics have been outstanding.

Thank you! You set the bar pretty high yourself.

Now to start that new thread...

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:42 am

elvisa wrote:No, not a certain era.....I just like Elvis. Like theres something for everybody, theres something for me no matter what era.......actually most of each...more or less.
Beeing a fan of Elvis voice in general and the fact that Elvis(IMO) was very good at chosing songs......it`ll make me dislike very few of his recordings.("Padre" being one of the few)


Somewhere in your post, I see a great album title!!!!! :smt020

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:31 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:
Scarre wrote:
Matthew wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Common man... How can any Elvis fan dismiss these performances?

Stranger In The Crowd is pretty crap. Awful lyrics.


Most of his songs are not know for their "deep and meaningfull" lyrics.


I, for one, like the song, "Stranger In The Crowd." And I totally disagree with your comments about most of his songs not being known for their deep and meaningful lyrics. I don't think there's a fan anywhere besides yourself that agrees with that statement. I am actually appalled to see that coming from a so-called Elvis fan.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


When you look at the pre-comeback hit singles, there is certainly an argument for a lack of deep and meaningful: Hound Dog, All Shook Up, Teddy Bear, I Got Stung, I Need Your Love Tonight, Good Luck Charm etc


Several Sun blues run pretty deep. "Hound Dog" seems meanigless; it is not. It's raging protest against the protectors of all that is deemed "classy." And you needn't know the context. You can feel it. There was a whole hypocritical society out there, and he called em liars! Screamed it.

And THEN came the comeback. I also like "Poison Ivy League." He could have done better by it, tbough. I know there's more. On a variey of levels.

But enough for tonite.

rjm

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:34 pm

rjm wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:
Scarre wrote:
Matthew wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Common man... How can any Elvis fan dismiss these performances?

Stranger In The Crowd is pretty crap. Awful lyrics.


Most of his songs are not know for their "deep and meaningfull" lyrics.


I, for one, like the song, "Stranger In The Crowd." And I totally disagree with your comments about most of his songs not being known for their deep and meaningful lyrics. I don't think there's a fan anywhere besides yourself that agrees with that statement. I am actually appalled to see that coming from a so-called Elvis fan.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


When you look at the pre-comeback hit singles, there is certainly an argument for a lack of deep and meaningful: Hound Dog, All Shook Up, Teddy Bear, I Got Stung, I Need Your Love Tonight, Good Luck Charm etc


Several Sun blues run pretty deep. "Hound Dog" seems meanigless; it is not. It's raging protest against the protectors of all that is deemed "classy." And you needn't know the context. You can feel it. There was a whole hypocritical society out there, and he called em liars! Screamed it.

And THEN came the comeback. I also like "Poison Ivy League." He could have done better by it, tbough. I know there's more. On a variey of levels.

But enough for tonite.

rjm


I think you might be falling into the trap of reading too much into a song, RJM. But, either way, the lyrics themselves, which is what the post was about, are certainly meaningless, as are so many rock n roll songs. It wasn't about the lyrics, it was about the sound (something I think you are driving at in your above comment), but that doesn't mean they are any more deep and meaningful. And this is why I think Elvis ignored them in his later shows or used them as throwaways. If they were used to vent anger and frustration in 1956, that anger and frustration wasn't there in the 1970s, so they literally lost their meaning.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:22 pm

Rock and roll escpecially in the 50's was never about meaningful lyrics and so what? Lieber/Stoller wrote some of the greatest songs and some were quite funny and witty. I never really paid much attention to lyrics until around late '65 or so when I bought some Dylan albums and Rubber Soul . I thought music was taking a different direction then and many of my friends did also. Lyrics became menaingful. I always thought it was a mistake not to release an editied version of Elvis' Tomorrow Is A Long Time as a single. I think it would have been a major step in the right direction and the right song for that time period. Now, I just listen to music for the enjoyment of the song, lyrics once again do not mean that much to me. Music always wins out.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:58 pm

well, my favorite era is the 70's

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:07 pm

For the moment I'm completely sold on Elvis first Las Vegas engagement of 1973. After the Aloha-show and its strange setlist, it's refreshing to listen to The King singing what he enjoyed. Soundwise this is also captured well by Fort Baxter on their It's a Matter of Time. Love that jazzy I Got a Woman. Surely reel-to-reel recordings, do more tapes exist Ernst Jorgensen? Bring 'em out please!

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:15 pm

[e-mail][/e-mail]
Elvisgirl wrote:well, my favorite era is the 70's


+1

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Im just happy with the fact that unlike most artists we really have many different phases with Elvis and his music to choose from.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:30 pm

Eddie wrote:Im just happy with the fact that unlike most artists we really have many different phases with Elvis and his music to choose from.


post of the day.......I never get bored of listening to him, so much variety

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:36 pm

1. 1968-1969 (His absolute peak)
2. 1960-1963
3. 1954-1955
4. 1956-1958
5. 1970 (His last good year)

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:06 am

When I was a teenager, it was the '70s Elvis, really... There was something fascinating about how dark and complex it was, and I guess I had sort of a morbid twisted fascination of the last decade, mainly because I would hear so many conflicting stories of "he was fat and drugged", "he was ill and needed medication", "he shot television sets out", etc. So, I was listening to the records and looking at photos, and surprisingly enough, I didn't really find (other than a few terrible pics) stuff that conveyed those quite erratic behaviors. Of course, now as I'm older and understand his life more, I can see it better, but I was secretly looking for a train-wreck, but I never found it...

Instead, I was moved by a lot of the vocal performances...and with the knowledge of how serious his living habits were at those times, it made me appreciate it even more..."Elvis In Concert" is a sad/watch and listen, but it's hard not to be moved by "How Great Thou Art"..

But, now I appreciate all the good stuff from the various years. I have similar tastes as the majority here (for instance, I felt his creativity was wasted during the movie years), but I have a soft spot for kitch like "My Boy" and "Never Again"...

So, I look at his whole career more fully, although, to answer the question, the initial favorite era was the 70s... :D

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:07 am

1 - 1975-1977
2 - 1972-1974 (I leave out '73, i hardly listen to those except for the Its a Matter Of time Show with that great raretie)
3 - 1970-1971
4 - May till December '76
5 - 1968-1970.